Pbackup is not really an option

Using applications, configuring, problems
wert

#1 Post by wert »

I have tried using pbackup but it's not really a stable thing. It's full of bugs. Is there an alternative? Thanks in advance for your help
ASD

#2 Post by ASD »

I use snap2 in Mirror mode and snap2 is pre-installed in some Pups.

I have found it to be stable and lightning fast. The second and subsequent runs even tell you the speed increase of the incremental backups. Mine usually take a few seconds and frequently far exceed 100 times the speed of the original backup.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

ASD, would you give us a link to where we can get Snap2?
wert

#4 Post by wert »

ASD wrote:I use snap2 in Mirror mode and snap2 is pre-installed in some Pups.

I have found it to be stable and lightning fast. The second and subsequent runs even tell you the speed increase of the incremental backups. Mine usually take a few seconds and frequently far exceed 100 times the speed of the original backup.
Thanks alot. Snapshot is the kind of thing I was desperate for. Doesn't come with tahrpup 62 but PPM takes seconds to install it. Very easy and operational. I'm trying to see whether it can backup to more than one location at a time e.g. more than one usb storage.
By the way, would you happen to know a quick way of making it only move files of a specific prefix e.g. only backup files that end with .txt? And thanks a bunch for your help
wert

#5 Post by wert »

wert wrote:By the way, would you happen to know a quick way of making it only move files of a specific prefix e.g. only backup files that end with .txt?
There's actually an option for that under 'mirror backup path - exclusions for selected source'. Exactly what I was looking for. Just a simple '- *.odt' line excludes all files ending with .odt. Right on time
Mitchellray

How 2 restore from Snap2

#6 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello,
I recently downloaded a .pet that messed messed up my Menu file entries such that I could not shutdown or reboot, could not go to prompt or restart X.
I had 2 days earlier done a Snap2 backup to a usb hard drive. However, I could not figure out how to restore to that previous state.
I ultimately had to do a pfix=purge after first trying the lesser two measures.
That necessitated work to install additions and set things up again, including my web browser. I did save all of my bookmarks to html first.
But I haven't even re-setup my email accounts yet.

So, how is the backup copy created by Snap2 to be restored to overwrite a corrupted (puppy) save file?
Mitchellray
wert

Re: How 2 restore from Snap2

#7 Post by wert »

Mitchellray wrote:Hello,
I recently downloaded a .pet that messed messed up my Menu file entries such that I could not shutdown or reboot, could not go to prompt or restart X.
I had 2 days earlier done a Snap2 backup to a usb hard drive. However, I could not figure out how to restore to that previous state.
I ultimately had to do a pfix=purge after first trying the lesser two measures.
That necessitated work to install additions and set things up again, including my web browser. I did save all of my bookmarks to html first.
But I haven't even re-setup my email accounts yet.

So, how is the backup copy created by Snap2 to be restored to overwrite a corrupted (puppy) save file?
Mitchellray
Hi! When you run a 'snapshot backup', snap2 creates recent.1 directory in the location you specified for your backup. recent.1 is the most recent snapshot backup(hard link) meaning the backup you took 2 days ago should be there. If you did mirror backup, then the directory containing it is named 'mirror' in the location you specified. Now to restore your puppy from a backup look in those locations depending on whether you did mirror or snapshot. e.g. if you made a backup of your /mnt/home folder which is the partition where your puppy is installed and contains your save file, using snap2 mirror backup you should find it in /mirror folder in your usb hard drive whereas if it was a 'snapshot', you'd find the backup in /recent.1 folder. Snap2 also enables you to backup to a remote location. If that's what you set up, you should find it there in the same directory names I have written above. Good luck champ.
Mitchellray

#8 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello wert,
Thanks for responding.
After I find recent.1 or a mirror folder, what is the process used to restore or replace the now corrupted version with the backup?
Did I miss something? I don't see a 'restore' option. I don't know how to do it. I vaguely remember on some systems there were revert to previous states by date. With this utility the backup is denoted by countdown numbering with "1" as most recent? How to restore to previous state if possible is what I seek to understand.
Mitchellray