How to install Slacko Puppy when u run GP Live as the OS?

Booting, installing, newbie
kuman11

#1 Post by kuman11 »

And u don't have an access to any Windows.
Gordie

#2 Post by Gordie »

How many threads are you going to start for this topic?

Answer - Do you have a friend with a computer? Not a problem is it?
mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Sorry, kuman11, your post doesn't compute. :shock:

If you desire helpful and informative answers, you have to remember that we can only know what you tell us in language we understand and in a context we are familiar with.

What does it mean to 'run GP Live as the OS'? What is a GP. Oh, yah, :idea: a GP is a General Practitioner of Medicine. So, your operating system is a living General Practitioner of Medicine. And part of the problem is that you don't have windows.

Taking into consideration that a General Practitioner has to possess some degree of manual dexterity, I suggest the following preliminary steps to your desire to have some Slacko Puppy installed somewhere, somehow having to do with your lack of windows:

Make the following purchases from your local hardware store:

At least one window frame, sufficient window glass, a glass cutter and window adhesive and a sledge hammer.

Hire your doctor to smash thru your wall and install a window.

But don't be too upset if slacko puppy is either too big or too small for the window. Slackos come in various sizes. It would be best to explain to both the salesman at the hardware store and your doctor which slacko puppy you are interested in.

Edit: Since Linux is all about choice, my alternative suggestion is to read this thread, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 618#739618, taking into consideration the pointers it provides as to the nature and specifics of the information we need, and then submit a "Reply" to the thread you started on the Beginner's Section, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 377#978377

mikesLr
kuman11

#4 Post by kuman11 »

mikeslr wrote:Sorry, kuman11, your post doesn't compute. :shock:

If you desire helpful and informative answers, you have to remember that we can only know what you tell us in language we understand and in a context we are familiar with.

What does it mean to 'run GP Live as the OS'? What is a GP. Oh, yah, :idea: a GP is a General Practitioner of Medicine. So, your operating system is a living General Practitioner of Medicine. And part of the problem is that you don't have windows.

Taking into consideration that a General Practitioner has to possess some degree of manual dexterity, I suggest the following preliminary steps to your desire to have some Slacko Puppy installed somewhere, somehow having to do with your lack of windows:

Make the following purchases from your local hardware store:

At least one window frame, sufficient window glass, a glass cutter and window adhesive and a sledge hammer.

Hire your doctor to smash thru your wall and install a window.

But don't be too upset if slacko puppy is either too big or too small for the window. Slackos come in various sizes. It would be best to explain to both the salesman at the hardware store and your doctor which slacko puppy you are interested in.

Edit: Since Linux is all about choice, my alternative suggestion is to read this thread, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 618#739618, taking into consideration the pointers it provides as to the nature and specifics of the information we need, and then submit a "Reply" to the thread you started on the Beginner's Section, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 377#978377

mikesLr
mikeslr, well U don't know your own OS, it includes GParted. That's GParted Live, an OS based on it ...
kuman11

#5 Post by kuman11 »

Gordie wrote:How many threads are you going to start for this topic?
Gordie, u're a very short-sighted man ... They're in 2 different sections.
kuman11

#6 Post by kuman11 »

Well I need to install Slacko 5.6, or the latest Slacko on a 4 Gb usb stick which has GParted Live installed on 1 partition of nearly 2 Gb of it. My Acer Aspire has 1.5 Gb of RAM.
Sailor Enceladus

#7 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Gparted live, looks interesting...
GParted Live is a small bootable GNU/Linux distribution for x86 based computers.
It enables you to use all the features of the latest versions of the GParted application.
https://gparted.org/livecd.php

When I tried to download the iso, it said it was 293MB, for what it's worth.
Attachments
gparted_live.jpg
(42.96 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
kuman11

When I tried to download the iso, it said it was 293MB, for

#8 Post by kuman11 »

'When I tried to download the iso, it said it was 293MB, for'

I have it installed, not sure what's ur point.
dancytron

#9 Post by dancytron »

So, just to see if we understand.

You have Gparted Live installed on a USB drive and you want to put Slacko on the same USB drive so that when you boot you get a choice between Slacko and Gparted Live.

How did you install Gparted Live? What file system is being used and what boot loader. Is there a menu.1st file on the USB drive?

If there is a menu.1st file, then you could make a subdirectory for slacko, copy all the slacko files to it, and then manually edit the menu.1st file to boot both. If there is a menu.1st file, show us a copy of it and we can tell you what to put to boot slacko.

If it is using another bootloader, there would be a different file with the boot up info, but I don't know off the top of my head what they are. The same approach could be used, make a subdirectory, copy slacko to it, and edit the bootloading file to boot slacko.

You could boot to puppy on a different usb drive or with the hard drive, make a subdirectory on the Gparted Live usb drive, copy the slacko files to it, and then try running grub4dos from Puppy and see if it figures it out and makes a menu.1st file for you. Would probably work if you did it right.
tallboy

#10 Post by tallboy »

And u don't have an access to any Windows.
I have never had Windows, but I have downloaded Puppies for many years. You can download a puppy ta a disc or USB stick, and run it live from RAM and most of them have Gparted installed, so I cannot really see why you need both. After a live Puppy is booted, you can remove the Puppy and put in the Gparted disc, if you need to access files there. I don't know how the live Gparted is run, if it runs from the disc/stick all the time, or loads into RAM like live puppies do.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.
kuman11

#11 Post by kuman11 »

dancytron, u've gotten my intentions correctly.

FS is fat32. Upon booting I get a menu with a 1st option, standard GP Live, then there're others, one of which is booting into RAM, just like a Puppy. Now I run the standard one.
Not sure about the boot loader, might be Grub4dos, have to look it up.
The problem's that my HD can't be found by GParted so now it's useless and no Win now to install Slacko on another usb stick.

Can't remember what App I used to install GPL, it's writing it directly on the usb, which I liked a lot, and it's a mistake.
kuman11

#12 Post by kuman11 »

Another thing, I can't login as root, to access the files in the root directory, getting 'permission denied' all the time.

I think I installed GPL with Puppy Package Manager as I was using Tahr Puppy at that point. I also have a couple of save files of Puppy on the usb ...
peterw

Install Puppy to USB stick

#13 Post by peterw »

Getting started with a Linux Puppy and learning how to use it is a big step for the those setting out. Once you have you first Puppy and got over that initial stage it becomes much easier. You could do as dancytron suggest and install Puppy on a separate USB stick and then you can use its abilities to install another copy on the USB stick containing GParted.

Using GParted to install Puppy on the same USB stick will not be easy if it is even doable. Puppy can coexist with other Distros or even on a MS Windows partition. It can happily work and save back to a CD or DVD. In short I am suggesting you get a Puppy working on a separate place so that you can explore it before coming back to your original objective. And by the way, as mentioned above, Puppy has GParted as one of its programmes.

For reference here is one set pf instructions for installing Puppy and there are many more.https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Puppy-Linux
kuman11

#14 Post by kuman11 »

There's an unanswered question on the Wiki page, the answer to it would serve me perfectly!

I need to install Puppy on an Acer notebook via USB which has a 1.3 Gb partition created with GParted & runs GP Live as OS right now. I have the Puppy files but don't have an app so I can install them!
[/b][/i]
OscarTalks

#15 Post by OscarTalks »

GParted Live is mainly just a method for booting a system which enables you to run GParted. It does not contain much else, so almost certainly does not have the tools to assist in creating a bootable Puppy or installing Puppy.

There are many options for booting or installing Puppy. GParted Live is not one of them. Posting in bold, underline and italics will not change that. This forum is very friendly and helpful but you should try to be courteous and explain things as clearly as possible when asking your question.

You say that you previously had TahrPup running but somehow seem to have ended up with only the ability to boot GParted Live now. Perhaps go back to the basics you used for TahrPup originally and use that method for booting or installing Slacko or whatever other Puppy you choose.
Oscar in England
alistera

#16 Post by alistera »

If you have access to another computer you can use a program called YUMI and install puppy and gparted to the usb stick then boot it up from the usb stick