My Puppy is blind and needs a miracle...

Booting, installing, newbie
conradcliff

My Puppy is blind and needs a miracle...

#1 Post by conradcliff »

Hello all, For quite some time now I've been trying to get Puppy working on my Toshiba Satelite 2715 XDVD 6.0 PIII 500 with 64MB of ram and a Trident Cyber 9525DVD display adapter (exact specs are here). But every time the boot process gets to loading xorg or xvesa the system stops. I've tried to solve the problem with cheeriepuppy's help in this thread but I've had no luck. Any help would be really great. Thanks!

designengineer

#2 Post by designengineer »

I also have this problem with Puppy 2.11, 2.12, 2.13 and 2.14. Luckily though I was able to get through the setup with 2.11.
If you can download the file for Puppy 2.11 called puppy-2.11-seamonkey-xorgdrvrs.iso, then I will give you the step by step process I went through to make it work. You can read about my trials with xorg at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11931

Let me know if I can help you.

conradcliff

#3 Post by conradcliff »

Thanks for the reply, I downloaded 2.11 if you would like to help me out...

bobn9lvu

#4 Post by bobn9lvu »

If you would do a forum search for Toshiba Laptops,
there are several threads describing how to get puppy
up and running on a toshiba laptop with the trident cyber diplay..
There are also links to help you in the threads,
and some text cou can use to get the most out of your
laptops display (1024/768 at 16bit color) the apci setttings, ect...

Bob 8)

designengineer

#5 Post by designengineer »

conradcliff wrote:Thanks for the reply, I downloaded 2.11 if you would like to help me out...
conradcliff
Iwill help you tomorrow(Saturday). Between now and then, you will need to go to the toshiba site and look up the monitor specs on your laptop. We will need the vertical and horizontal refresh rates along with the amount of video ram.
This site

This only gives you the basics on your computer. See if you can find a web site that has a more detailed set of video specs.

conradcliff

#6 Post by conradcliff »

designengineer wrote:
conradcliff wrote:Thanks for the reply, I downloaded 2.11 if you would like to help me out...
conradcliff
Iwill help you tomorrow(Saturday). Between now and then, you will need to go to the toshiba site and look up the monitor specs on your laptop. We will need the vertical and horizontal refresh rates along with the amount of video ram.
This site

This only gives you the basics on your computer. See if you can find a web site that has a more detailed set of video specs.
Thanks, I'm steadily looking for more detailed specs on my system but I'm have a bit of trouble finding it though. I'll keep trying...

bobn9lvu

#7 Post by bobn9lvu »

If you look at the link in previous post, the vidram is 2.5M, the screen resolution is also listed along with the color bit depth...
[quote]Trident Cyber 9525 DVD Graphics Controller
64-bit Graphics Accelerator
AGP bus with sidebands
64 BitBLT hardware
2.5MB internal video memory
Display

conradcliff

#8 Post by conradcliff »

I saw most of that stuff but where did you get the Hsync?

bobn9lvu

#9 Post by bobn9lvu »

Well, almost ALL lcd displays use a 60hz refresh at their native resolution,
so you know the display size(s) and the refresh rate, plug em in and thats what you will see (H)orizontal sync rate, or Hsync
Which if I remember correctly in the xorgconfig util would be selection #5
when that question comes up...

Bob

conradcliff

#10 Post by conradcliff »

Thanks for the reply, sorry it has been so long since my last post. I kinda got burnt out trying to get this thing working and searching all over for answers. I think I may have forgotten where I left off so please forgive me for any stupid questions....

The first stupid question is: Do I manually edit that modeline in? Or does it create itself after I run through the wizard?

The second is: The website for creating the modelines asks for a minimum and a maximum for the horizontal sync rate, do I just enter 48.61 for both?

Thanks for any help...

bobn9lvu

#11 Post by bobn9lvu »

conradcliff wrote:Thanks for the reply, sorry it has been so long since my last post. I kinda got burnt out trying to get this thing working and searching all over for answers. I think I may have forgotten where I left off so please forgive me for any stupid questions....

The first stupid question is: Do I manually edit that modeline in? Or does it create itself after I run through the wizard?

The second is: The website for creating the modelines asks for a minimum and a maximum for the horizontal sync rate, do I just enter 48.61 for both?

Thanks for any help...
If you have ever ran xorgconfig from the command line/terminal, you will notice that there are several choices that you can use, you must use the max/min your display gpu supports.
each display resolution will have it's own modline that fall inbetween the minimum/maximum that your gpu supports..

Bob

conradcliff

#12 Post by conradcliff »

Ok, yeah, I just finished trying to run the xorgconfig yet another time but still with no luck. The only thing that I did different this time was to use option #7 for the hsync as option 6 had a maximum of 48.5 (31.5 - 48.5) khz and as you posted it should be 48.61. Option #7 has 31.5 - 57 for the frequency range. I didn't think it was option #7 originally because that called for a 70hz refresh rate at 1024x768 and I was thinking 60hz. Anyway, I know I must sound like a complete idiot by now b/c it seems to me that I'm just missing what everyone is trying to tell me or something since I'm having absolutely no luck with this crap. I would love it if there was just some step by step I could follow. Maybe they will add some better support for the trident display adapter in upcoming distro's.

Thanks for trying to help, I'll keep trying for a little while but my patience still hasn't fully recovered from my last efforts to revive my little legacy lappy.