New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dvw86

#101 Post by dvw86 »

jus407 wrote:can anyone give me specs about the EEE running puppy linux?

I want to know about:
Battery life
text readability (web surfing)
video viewing (nothing big - just youtube)
heat while in use
hibernating/sleeping how well does it work

thanks!
Battery life is good. I've never timed it but it is about the same as my Apple iBook.
Text and web surfing are fine for me, but it is a small screen. A lot of people find it hard to read.
Youtube works very well. No real issues there.
Heat? What heat? :wink: It runs very cool.
The built is Xandros sleeps well. I don't have it working in Pupeee though (yet).

JustGreg

#102 Post by JustGreg »

I think Lobster requested a picture of the Classmate running PupEee. Here it is with the latest version up and running out of the box (or I should say iso). I am using a SD card now. At some point, I will do alway with Window$ on the solid state disk and replace it with Puppy.

Yes, Sage, it is in a 640x480 format for posting.

I hope this helps!
Attachments
class-post.JPG
(56.02 KiB) Downloaded 2928 times
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

dvw86

#103 Post by dvw86 »

Well the JWM bug has to do with the /root/.jwmrc file getting re-written after the first boot. Maybe now is the time to bring back my control panel and save changes to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal instead of /root/.jwmrc. Which is where they should really be anyways. Then I'd just get rid of the current JWM Configuration tool.

dvw86

#104 Post by dvw86 »

Okay here is a very stripped down version of my System-Tools control panel. Unfortunately I couldn't find my latest copy of it so I'm going to have to re-write a bunch of the tools. It is just for the newest version of Pupeee since it assumes that the jwm-vista theme is installed. I will upload a more generic version as well that should work in any version of Puppy. The only things that are enabled are the JWM configuration tools and the firewall tool. I took out some of the JWM options since they didn't work well with the Eeepc or Pupeee such as changing the try height. It fixes the JWM bug that has been bothering me. It requires murgaLua. MurgaLua has gone through some changes since this was written so if you want you can download it from here so that everything will work. Later I will test it with the newest version of murgaLua so it won't be an issue.

***UPDATE 2/23/08***
I changed it to work in Pupeee and any other version of Puppy so there is just one version of the control panel. It now works with the latest version of murgaLua so please download it from John's site linked below. I added the FTP tool as well. Please test and let me know how it works.

***UPDATE 2/28/08***
murgaLua is now included and you no longer have to download and install it separately. If you already have murgaLua installed it will use the included version to avoid conflicts in murgaLua versions. System Tools has been renamed to "Puppy Control Panel" or "PCP" for short.

http://waltonpond.com/eeepc/extras/pcp.tar.gz

Last edited by dvw86 on Thu 28 Feb 2008, 19:51, edited 2 times in total.

dvw86

#105 Post by dvw86 »

For those that want a non-Pupeee version of System-Tools you can find it here.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 607#176607

Sit Heel Speak

#106 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

It's spelled "Appearance" ...

dvw86

#107 Post by dvw86 »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:It's spelled "Appearance" ...
Yes, that was pointed out in th other thread. It's been fixed. Thanks.

stlchuck

3.01NOP Puppy on the EeePC

#108 Post by stlchuck »

As I said in my post in the Hardware/Network forum last night despite the leads kindly provided by dvw86 (Many Thanks) still no working wireless connection - So this morning I started with a fresh install of 3.01NOPr3 from a disk I know to be good and a new save file as a result. And thankfully the wired connection with the atl2 driver works! It still produces a message of "No new interfaces were detected" with the ath_pci module loaded though. Still that is progress - now with a working net connection I'll go ahead with some of the other tweaks. Anyone with ideas about the wireless connection feel free to comment - maybe we'll get that one working too.

9a6or

Microphone not working

#109 Post by 9a6or »

Based on the Skype test call, the mic is not working. Is this a known issue in the latest Pupeee (with the black background)?

Beartooth

Which ISO? How?

#110 Post by Beartooth »

Ignoring the one marked old, I see an ISO at http://puppylinux.ca/members/Pupeee/ and another in the link there marked 2008-2-21 -- so which is newest?

Or am I in the wrong place entirely?

I've been having both hard- and software problems with my little Eeepc, and am ready to try another new OS (after eeedora, ubuntu, and debian).

Pupeee looks very hopeful -- if I can keep up. Youss guyss (non-sexist Minnesotese, all-inclusive plural) seem to be progressing hand over fist here!

9a6or

DotPup?

#111 Post by 9a6or »

I downloaded the Torsmo DotPup, clicked it in Rox but got an error message saying that the file may be corrupted or there is not enough space to unzip... DotPups are easy to use so I guess I am doing something wrong, please help.

dvw86

Re: Which ISO? How?

#112 Post by dvw86 »

Beartooth wrote:Ignoring the one marked old, I see an ISO at http://puppylinux.ca/members/Pupeee/ and another in the link there marked 2008-2-21 -- so which is newest?

Or am I in the wrong place entirely?

I've been having both hard- and software problems with my little Eeepc, and am ready to try another new OS (after eeedora, ubuntu, and debian).

Pupeee looks very hopeful -- if I can keep up. Youss guyss (non-sexist Minnesotese, all-inclusive plural) seem to be progressing hand over fist here!
I thought that I removed the old one :?: The newest one is here:
http://waltonpond.com/eeepc/2008-2-21/puppy-eee.iso

dvw86

Re: Microphone not working

#113 Post by dvw86 »

9a6or wrote:Based on the Skype test call, the mic is not working. Is this a known issue in the latest Pupeee (with the black background)?
Did you check the Puppy Sound Mixer? My mic always seams to be turned all the way down on first boot.

dvw86

Re: DotPup?

#114 Post by dvw86 »

9a6or wrote:I downloaded the Torsmo DotPup, clicked it in Rox but got an error message saying that the file may be corrupted or there is not enough space to unzip... DotPups are easy to use so I guess I am doing something wrong, please help.
Are you sure that your download of Torsmo was not corrupted and that you have enough space left in your pupsave file? Post a link to the download you used and I will try it on mine.

Caneri

#115 Post by Caneri »

2008-2-21 is the newest with the black theme.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Beartooth

OK, thanks! I guess I have the right one ...

#116 Post by Beartooth »

I downloaded and burned one that was 131.4 MB -- put it into an external USB drive, plugged that into the eeepc, along with an 8 GB thumb drive, and a 4 GB SD card -- if that's what you call those things that also go in cameras; mine says SanDisk SDHC.

(I'm also in process of downloading again, and will burn a new CD, just in case.)

Maybe all the extras confused the hardware. It brought up a box that was supposed to tell me where it was getting the OS from, and the place where the name should've been was just empty -- not even a blank, just a space and a comma.

That was odd, because the list of all the things I had plugged in seemed to be both accurate and complete.

Anyway, it ended up refusing to believe it was on the CD drive, and going into contradictions from there.

I'll try again today with only the CD drive connected. Stay tuned.

Beartooth

Addendum :same problem, more info

#117 Post by Beartooth »

Fwiw, the new CD has 131.4 MB, according to F8 Nautilus; the old one had 131.2; but they seem the same otherwise.

I get the universal installer to the point of asking me where the puppy files are -- as before. It says, character for character, "Note, in case your PC has two CD/DVD drives, Puppy is expecting the live-CD to be inserted into , [sic!] which is described as ..."

Below that are three lines of text. The first, indented, is a USB [sic] card reader; the second is the CD/DVD drive where everything still actually is; and the third is some silicon motion thing -- the hard drive, I think, rather than the internal card reader. (The magic number is SM223AC.)

It does not give me any way to correct its expectation, nor to choose one of the three lines.

If that space before the comma is a typo (rather than, as I had naturally presumed, the place where its expectation was intended to be named), then I suppose the only other thing it can mean is that it wants to install from a card reader that I don't have -- not from the one I do, let alone from the CD where it really is.

I even tried ejecting the CD and putting it back before clicking OK.

It continues to tell me "Puppy is not on the CD." [Insert shovel icon here]

So I let it give me the directory; go to /; click dev; click cdrom in the other column -- and it tells me it has failed a sanity check.

That it certainly has. But whose?

9a6or

Re: DotPup?

#118 Post by 9a6or »

dvw86 wrote:
9a6or wrote:Torsmo DotPup... error message
Are you sure that your download of Torsmo was not corrupted and that you have enough space left in your pupsave file? Post a link to the download you used and I will try it on mine.
The link to Torsmo is half way down on http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DotPups and it gives me the same error message when clicking it in Rox. I am using a 512MB save file as that was offered by default on first shutdown and have about 380MB free on it. Thanks for the help.

9a6or

#119 Post by 9a6or »

dvw86 wrote:
9a6or wrote:Based on the Skype test call, the mic is not working. Is this a known issue in the latest Pupeee (with the black background)?
Did you check the Puppy Sound Mixer? My mic always seams to be turned all the way down on first boot.
Mic is on 100% and still not recording me... :(

dvw86

#120 Post by dvw86 »

9a6or wrote:
dvw86 wrote:
Mic is on 100% and still not recording me... :(
Well I've tested skype with the web cam and I've used Skype in a phone call but I have not tested them at the same time. Have you tried them individually?