Next Puppy 5.0.2 29 September 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
majorfoo

#101 Post by majorfoo »

Hi iguleder -
This is really different from puppy distro's I have been using over the past year or so.
Took me a while to figure out how to get a internet browser setup but was successful. Posting from seamonkey 2.2 Lucid525.pet

It is going to be a real challenge to get some of the applications that I use in puppy versions. That is part of figuring out how it works and then making it happen.

Thank you for a very nice distro. Looking forward to adding stuff that I like and see what works and what doesn't.

majorfoo
pacer106

#102 Post by pacer106 »

Thanks Beem :)

When i made that one i thought it looked like those fancy latte coffee with the fancy whip cream topping so figured others might like that aspect :)

never shared any of my artwork did not think it worthy of using by others lol.

Iguleder I am tryin to think of a logo for the dockapps i tried the regular puppy logo but it did not look so good. Also tried the puppy paw logo also not very attractive to my eyes.

If you have any ideas on a logo you might be interested in we might be able to figure something out together :)
Last edited by pacer106 on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
pacer106

#103 Post by pacer106 »

sorry double post my internet connection was acting up.
edoc

#104 Post by edoc »

I am hoping that iguleder can forward the picture I sent to him to someone who is capable of making it part of a background alternative.

Also, might there be a different Puppy logo as seen in the upper left corner of "pupwall3"? There is something disquieting about the one with the clownish dog line-drawing ... but that may just be me ... :roll:
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603
Billtoo

#105 Post by Billtoo »

Iguleder wrote:Ummm ... that's bad. The kernel panics can be also attributed to the i686 eglibc, which prevents Busybox (and therefore, init) from running.

I think I'll drop the i686 in the next version.
I'm looking forward to the next release but alpha2 has found a home on two of my computers :)

Thanks
majorfoo

#106 Post by majorfoo »

I just installed wmclock pet.
Two questions
1. How to I change time to 12 hour format
2. Once I run command to start wmclock, how do I save it to desktop

Everytime I restart X server the clock is not there and have to run command to start again.

thanks
majorfoo
pacer106

#107 Post by pacer106 »

Some more things i have found that could use some looking into.

when installing a package or packages from ppm the download windows (orange terminal windows) do not close themselves after completed download.

I tried to save a custom theme I made & it seemed to not save it. I used pfind to search & did not find them. did a different search for a known file to make sure pfind was working & it found the file so figuring there is a theme issue somewhere.

during the custom theme making there were a few things that could not be changed through the use of wmprefs gui tool. like changing the color of the window header text & some other text display things in menus that would not change.

Wish i knew how to check more deep into things i find. Im just not that experianced with linux yet. Next Puppy sure is pushing me to pick things up quick. so I thank you again Iguleder for making such a great puplet & a good learning platform :)

Can anyone suggest a decent screenshot package for using in Next Puppy? I did not notice one in the applications myself.
Billtoo

#108 Post by Billtoo »

pacer106 wrote:
Can anyone suggest a decent screenshot package for using in Next Puppy? I did not notice one in the applications myself.
Pupsnap is good.

http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupSnap-1 ... _32Bit.pet
pacer106

#109 Post by pacer106 »

Thanks Billtoo pupsnap worked great unfortunately while doing some testing I experianced kernel panic & lost my screen shots lol oh well.

Some more things to report good & bad (well not bad really).

I managed to get wmclock & wmsystemtray to stay on reboot by placing them in startup im sure most know that already. Im sure any dockapps can be placed or symlinked to startup. (I myself have never symlinked anything not sure how lol)

When I installed Opera sfs made for pemasu squeeze dpup I did get the flash download. Clicked yes & it did download & install flash but it told me error it could not download flash.

When using run to launch pmount it launches. I mount a drive pmount works mounting the drive but window maker gives an error after the drive is mounted that it can not open pmount. minor error seeing as how it actually does launch pmount & mount drives.
mikeslr

OK So Far -- I've got lots to learn

#110 Post by mikeslr »

I unpacked Next02's ISO to a folder and added it to Grub4Dos. Next02 booted successfully to my prefered resolution, 1600x900x24. I have ATi-Radeon 3100 Graphics, which posed a challenge to some recent puppies, but Next02 found it via probe. SNS established wireless connection, and I was able to start Firefox from /mnt/home. OS offered to download Flash, which I accepted, and although the dialogue reported that it was not able to make connection, in fact it did and downloaded the flash.so. (Perhaps a delay is needed to avoid erroneous message). I then opened to youtube and selected a video. I received a message that a flash-plug-in was needed, but restarting X resolved this. Video ran with sound.
Next02 appears to run quickly and without difficulty. I'll have to learn how to use its tools, especially how to add application to the panel/tray at the right.

So far, so good. Nice job iguleder. Thanks.

mikesLr
Iguleder

#111 Post by Iguleder »

Regarding making stuff auto-start, just read the first post. I repeat this over and over.

Run the dockapp (e.g "AlsaMixer", "wmsystemray", "wmclock", etc' in the terminal). Once it's running, drag it to the dock. Right-click it, go to "Settings" and tick the checkbox that makes it auto-start.

That's all, very simple.

Regarding themes, icons, etc', put them in ~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker. You can find some themes in /usr/share/WindowMaker, just copy them to your home folder to use them.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]
pacer106

#112 Post by pacer106 »

I have read your first post & followed the info.

Unless you have to launch all the dockapps in order for them to stay after reboot its not workin right. I launched wmclock & wmsystemstray both from run in menu & through terminal both failed to keep dockapps after a reboot. And yes i checked both options in settings on each dockapp. to start with computer & for it to not be removed accidentally.

After a reboot they are gone. I tried to get them to stay with the clip icon as well by having the clip icon attract others. After a reboot they did not show up.

I went back to alpha 1 which would keep the dockapps on reboot but had to relaunch in order to get them to display properly & not show the generic window maker icon.
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#113 Post by Béèm »

I tried this for wmclock and wmsystray.
They 'install' to the bottom edge of the display aligned to the left.
But I can't move/drag them to the dock.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
nooby

#114 Post by nooby »

Your experiences confirm my opinion that it could have to do with differences in the set up.

I have a frugal install on sda3 which is ntfs formatted. Could not such change things? I have not tested the drag and drop thing. I was too scared to fail doing it.

Maybe iguleder has a totally other set up? so what works for him may not work on every HW and SW combination?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
edoc

#115 Post by edoc »

Anyone have LibreOffice and CUPS working from SFS?

BTW: Is there a simple way to strip all but the desired drivers/modules from CUPS?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
rcrsn51

#116 Post by rcrsn51 »

edoc wrote:BTW: Is there a simple way to strip all but the desired drivers/modules from CUPS?
CUPS does not contain drivers. CUPS acts as a middle-man between printer drivers and hardware.

What is it specifically that you want to strip out?
gcmartin

#117 Post by gcmartin »

nooby wrote: ... I have a ... ntfs formatted. ...
Hi @Nooby
Would you open GParted and report if you have a "flag" on that NTFS partition. If so, you'll need to boot MS which will checkdisk the partition. Then rebooting Puppy, and reviewing again in GParted should show the flag removed.

Hope this helps
pacer106

Sorry Iguleder

#118 Post by pacer106 »

I looked into my setup a lot closer & discovered i had the old alpha 1 next sfs still on my flash stick (thumb drive) which i forgot to remove when i did a fresh save file for alpha 2.

I would bet that was the problem now. I removed it from my thumb drive & redid an alpha 2 save file all works great the themes you mentioned in the usr/shared are working when moved to GNUstep/Windowmaker/themes. I also found styles work that are included in usr/shared as you posted.

I am very sorry I did not check into my setup well before posting about the dockapps not stickin after reboot. I now have a perfectly working Next Puppy :)

Thanks again Iguleder & I hope Next Puppy keeps gettin better :)

OH almost forgot i did not copy next sfs from cd to thumb drive im letting it load off the cd & using savefile on thumbdrive.
Attachments
image-2.png
Desktop once rebooted with dockapps sticking :)
(62.34 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
edoc

#119 Post by edoc »

rcrsn51 wrote:
edoc wrote:BTW: Is there a simple way to strip all but the desired drivers/modules from CUPS?
CUPS does not contain drivers. CUPS acts as a middle-man between printer drivers and hardware.

What is it specifically that you want to strip out?
Can the associated driver-folder be purged of all but the ones needed?

The more simple is the printer system the more easily troubleshooted.

Back to the first question - does anyone have CUPS working from a SFS with Next 5?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
rcrsn51

#120 Post by rcrsn51 »

edoc wrote:Can the associated driver-folder be purged of all but the ones needed?
?????

What folder are you talking about? What drivers have you installed?