Slacko B2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
drblock2

#101 Post by drblock2 »

I reported problems getting VirtualBox to run in slacko beta 1 because of missing libraries and was anxious to see if the problem had been resolved in beta 2.

Well, yes, but not quite. Fortunately, I came across this post from Geoffrey on the VBox forum:

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... c8906e0258

I had already installed the SDL-1.2.14-i486.pet for DosBox (I love to emulate) and simply installed his libGLU package (2 files and 2 symlinks) in /usr/lib.

Works fine, sound and all.

01micko

#102 Post by 01micko »

Ok, devx is definitely buggy.. for now if you must compile stuff use the 4.99.1 beta 1 devx, sorry

bigpup, thanks for links (gnome-mplayer). The reason the fixes fail in Slacko is coz it uses packages from a KDE based distro..
so where are the icons? /usr/share/icons/hicolor/ of course!

This pet should fix it..

cheers

Also.. adding this to /usr/sbin/delayedrun..

Code: Select all

#Hack for slacko
BROOKDALE="`lspci|grep -i "vga"|grep -i "brookdale"`" #identify troublesome Brookdale, also if connected to net we skip welcomefirstboot 110908
ping  -c 1 64.233.169.103 && [ $? -eq 0 ] && NET="yes" || NET="no" #google
 if [[ "$BROOKDALE" = "" || "$NET" = "no" ];then
...stops welcomefirstboot if ping returns data.. (well logic is flawed, need to rearrange, but will work)
Attachments
gnome_mplayer-iconfix-1.pet
(6.73 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sage

#103 Post by Sage »

Yup! Great time to dump SM. This morning, loaded Flash, restarted X, tried to run BBC iplayer. Never ever seen a crash with Caps Lock and Scroll Lock flashing before, not this last 25yrs on hundreds of machines and OSes!
Although the Opera d/l has a broken link today!

Stripe

#104 Post by Stripe »

hi all

01micko the pet fixed the icons in mplayer

hope this helps
don

jim3630

#105 Post by jim3630 »

01micko started new savefile, then installed spup broadcom wl pet.

knowing sns, connection wizard, spup frisbee don't work with my troublesome wl.ko driverand each kernel needs specific wpa scripts

installed Frisbee-beta2-lucid52 pet, rebooted and could not make wifi connection.

installed dhcpcd-5.2.9.-i489 pet and could not make wifi connection.

installed Frisbee-beta2-spup pet, rebooted and made wif connection.

have not dared to see if survives a reboot yet but tend to think a going over B2's dhcpcd script migtht help to get spup's Frisbee pet working.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64472
Last edited by jim3630 on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#106 Post by peebee »

Hi 01micko

Quick report of experiences using B2 frugal install on my HP550 laptop.

touchpad - starts up excruciatingly slow - flsynclient has to be run before flloopfix can run without errors - flloopfix doesn't seem to do much for me - what is it meant to do??

frisbee - the pet in the repository Frisbee_beta-2-spup.pet 2011-Jul-31 02:07:06 672.5K doesn't work for me - says its made a connection but hasn't

[edit] deleted after further testing [/edit]

I need frisbee to maintain my wifi connection which dies after a time with both sns and network wizard.

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 20:32, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jim3630

#107 Post by jim3630 »

reboot with no wifi connection. uninstalled lucid frisbee pet, unable to get sns or connection wizard to make connection.

re-installed spup frisbee pet apparently un-installing lucid frisbee also nixed spup. wifi connection made!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#108 Post by Béèm »

Sage wrote:Yup! Great time to dump SM. This morning, loaded Flash, restarted X, tried to run BBC iplayer. Never ever seen a crash with Caps Lock and Scroll Lock flashing before, not this last 25yrs on hundreds of machines and OSes!
hummmm.
BBC UK prevents other people to view their video's. Are those so secret? :twisted:
Anyway BBC news Europe permits to view the video's and they play perfectly well in SM.
Maybe somebody should buy a good machine? :wink:
Last edited by Béèm on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

internet connection loss in spup

#109 Post by Béèm »

01mico wrote:Béèm, first, I have recompiled a dozen times dhcpcd.. I haven't a problem with stable connection, though in lupu from time to time I did .. (I do that much dev/testing it's difficult to pinpoint exactly which version I had problems with in Lupu). Please, do not think issues get ignored (I bet don570 thinks I am ignoring his sound issue from 312.37.. Wink .. no I have an idea about that..). Please keep reporting issues, no matter how trivial they seem.
OK here I go then. :wink:
In B2, I experience that I have to reload pages at times, but without complete connection loss.
Sometimes I can run for some time without that issue.
So complete connection loss seems not to occur for the moment.

So there is improvement in the slacko's.
For the record, using SNS.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Sage

#110 Post by Sage »

BBC UK prevents other people to view
iPlayer is essential to Brits. It's a cross between a PVR & Cloud. Foreigners will be able to use it later this year(maybe?) for a small subscription. PC/TV/mobiles are big markets in GB, esp. as our phone system works! Anyone wishing to target the wide world with their distro should ensure that iPlayer works OOTB - flash include and no crashes.
Apart from that, the point is missed entirely - SM crashed! It's a worthless piece of junk. When the discussions began here about browsers, folks who had difficulty with their reading and comprehension accused me of saying that I claimed Opera was smaller (esp. than FF). I never ever did say that - just that it was faster, more reliable and thoroughly professional. However, things have changed. I now see FF d/l s coming in at 15Mb .iso s. Opera remains at 11.1Mb. SM has a suite but much of the stuff other than the browser is cr*p or doesn't work - compozer has been a nightmare according to some of the comments I've been reading recently. Opera has much of the extras, too, including an email client, but it aint good either. People who care about their work need to select proper apps for each task. All the better choices are available as .pet s. EudoraOSE isn't as good as the last 'dozey version now that Mozilla has taken it on, but it's still close to the 'choice of professionals' ; failing that I recommend Claws, but it's big. One can build up a suite of really good office gear, but there will be a size penalty. All the more reason that the base Puppy should remain small, or smaller, initially. Then go for a really sparkling finish with a FULL install - preferably on a USB HD if you have an F8 BIOS option or just a regular HD, prreferably on a caddy, or on screws, if not. OR use a USB stick to boot and other media to load the preferred complement.
BK never envisaged his Puppy to work like this, but most users seem to be able to make its many incarnations run on almost anything. If security demands running from a liveCD, he has even provided remastering options. This must be one of the most highly developed 'small' projects ever and it has gestated well beyond its original intent.
Now which bit of that blast will be misread or comprehended?!

playdayz

#111 Post by playdayz »

In B2 I no longer have to add radeon.modeset=0 to the boot options.

But something weird happened. I connected and almost immediately lost the connection. I have now reconnected. I will edit this post if it happens again. That was using SNS and an older Belkin usb wifi (atheros).

gcmartin

B2 (499.4) report

#112 Post by gcmartin »

Excellent, stable and very smooth operations. All system features are consistent and system operations are swift.

Attached is a report for Video, RAM, and Hardinfo as welll as a FirstRUN view.

No issues to report.
Attachments
System-Report.tar.gz
System Report - Video, RAM, Hardinfo
(6.5 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
FirstRUN - hostname.png
FirstRUN Report
(90.41 KiB) Downloaded 872 times

nooby

#113 Post by nooby »

Béèm wrote:
Sage wrote:Yup! Great time to dump SM. This morning, loaded Flash, restarted X, tried to run BBC iplayer. Never ever seen a crash with Caps Lock and Scroll Lock flashing before, not this last 25yrs on hundreds of machines and OSes!
hummmm.
BBC UK prevents other people to view their video's. Are those so secret? :twisted:
Anyway BBX news Europe permits to view the video's and they play perfectly well in SM.
Maybe somebody should buy a good machine? :wink:
Could it be about paying for copyright?

Happens to me rather often. I link to svtplay.se and somebody outside sweden says them can not see it due to copyright?

Same with nrk.no and dr.dk also due to copyright. But them made exceptions at the Utoya terror thing so people all over the world could get info.

BBC does tell me them can not show everything due to copyright so could that be why if fail at times for you too?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nancy reagan

Dutch online public tv is free - so far - crashing browsers

#114 Post by nancy reagan »

Dutch public tv still is free, wonder for how long. They upgrading like idiots for phones en tabs while most people watch tv on the sofa.

They want to forcce you to use Silverlight

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/

My FF crashed several times to and yesterday. Read something about hacking ssl and certificates. Maybe this is the cause ?

gcmartin

RAM usage reports

#115 Post by gcmartin »

Prior report is to be compared with this report.

System changes since earlier:
  • Added 3 subsystems from PPM and their associated dependencies.
    • Flash
      SAMBA
      JRE
  • Started SAMBA 3.5.8 sharing a public folder over the LAN and have users attached to the shared resource
Notes
  • No issues
  • SM performance very good
  • System's CPU near 0% constantly but rises (as expected) when Browser activity is added. I usually run about 15-20 tabs and windows open.
  • RAM usage is still very very low with NO SWAP activity even with 10 browser tabs open.
See the reports attached for comparison and verification.

This system is running with all tailoring without re-booting, thus far.

Question
Is there any need to follow the SlickPET recommendation of XORG_HIGH on this system? (see reports)

Hope this helps
Attachments
PPM products installed.png
Installed products
(71.81 KiB) Downloaded 844 times
System-Report_with Flash JRE SAMBA 3.5.8.tar.gz
System's activity reports
(6.79 KiB) Downloaded 211 times

Sage

#116 Post by Sage »

Digital signal strength in GB is so strong now that our coastal neighbours should have no problems receiving our programmes free gratis. Might need to jack up your aerial a little and be sure to get the polarisation correct. I've paid my license fee, so as far as our Eurofriends are concerned - be my guest.
As far as Slacko is concerned, it's a great project - you will like it, but beware - it's early days, much to do, it can still jump up and bite you in the bum when least expected. Our intrepid developers will not be sleeping easy for a while.

nooby

Re: Dutch online public tv is free - so far - crashing browsers

#117 Post by nooby »

nancy reagan wrote:Dutch public tv still is free, wonder for how long. They upgrading like idiots for phones en tabs while most people watch tv on the sofa.

They want to forcce you to use Silverlight

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/
I got curious and them did the Silverlight thing but them also further down still allowed us to use the wm player and FF has that built in it seems?
Attachments
vpro-pic.jpg
(124.68 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Sage

#118 Post by Sage »

Choosing a default browser for any distro is a very serious business!

Suggest reading the erudite discussion on Bodhi and why they chose Midori - well sort of chose...
....read on.

DaveS

#119 Post by DaveS »

ok... so tried Slacko on three different computers now... they ALL show the screen flash!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

xcompmgr

#120 Post by 01micko »

Here you go Dave
Attachments
xcompmgr-1.1.1.pet
(13.02 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access