I'm downloading the new iso as well

awesome accomplishment

thanks again for all your work

wanderer

cthisbear

#102 Post by cthisbear »

saintless:

I don't mean to be Mr thicky mate....
but can I extract this to a multi Puppy usb stick and boot off it.

First time I have been interested in one of your goodies.

C an I edit my menu list and run

title Linux Mint
root (hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ignore_uuid showmounts persistent
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

without this...
Grub menu list boot code:
Code:

No disrespect.....Cheers.....Chris.

saintless

#103 Post by saintless »

cthisbear wrote:Can I edit my menu list and run

title Linux Mint
root (hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ignore_uuid showmounts persistent
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
Yes, but you need casper-rw save file on second (different from root (hd0,0)) partition to have persistent with official Mint boot (initrd.lz). Or second ext partition with label casper-rw.
Or you can try porteus-boot (initrd1.xz) from the examples in the same list with option to save on the boot partition in save file or save directory:
boot codes

But this iso is very basic and I made it only to save some work for Wanderer to start building the system further. No configuration settings for Rox and only few applications with working apt-get.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#104 Post by saintless »

BTW Linux Mint 17 doesn't have full compatibility with Ubuntu repositories unfortunately and also I get some gtk warnings running gftp from official Mint 17.1. Click here for screenshot.
I guess this explains the problem with Gnome. Maybe using aptitude will solve the conflicts but needs testing.
I guess removing the priority for special mint repository in /etc/apt/preferences.d/official-package-repositories.pref (or deleting the file) will reverse 100% Ubuntu packages compatibility. Also needs testing.
Last edited by saintless on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#105 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

Just tested your new iso and found that porteus-boot option 'Always-fresh' doesn't work.
Removing 'base_only' from the boot command makes it boot.
Didn't test but I think it has to do with this in linuxrc:

Code: Select all

if param base_only; then
grep live /tmp/modules | grep -v modules > /tmp/mod
I guess that live should be changed to casper:

if param base_only; then
grep casper /tmp/modules | grep -v modules > /tmp/mod
Did some more quick testing by installing synaptic, firefox and all works well.
Tested creating changes.dat on root of sda2, and the changes persist after reboot.
Low memory usage, wired network connection works, seems to me like a solid base.

Fred

cthisbear

#106 Post by cthisbear »

Thanks mate....Chris.

mcewanw

#107 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: Did some more quick testing by installing synaptic, firefox and all works well.
Tested creating changes.dat on root of sda2, and the changes persist after reboot.
Low memory usage, wired network connection works, seems to me like a solid base.

Fred
Hi Fred,

Yes, I've been using the first iso contents for a while now using Porteus boot with changes on EXIT and like you say, very solid and low resource usage. I like it because it is so easy to get latest versions of games as demanded by my kids. Terrible reason really. However, considering how popular Linux Mint is itself it would not be surprising if MintPup turned out to be of great interest to many.

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#108 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:BTW Linux Mint 17 doesn't have full compatibility with Ubuntu repositories unfortunately and also I get some gtk warnings running gftp from official Mint 17.1.
I just tried installing gftp (in MintPup itself) and on running it also got the three warning messages in your screenshot but none of the GTK critical stuff. That was using iso version 1, but I also have lots of big games and libgl1-mesa-dri, firefox and more installed on it. The gftp program seemed to open up fine.

William

EDIT: Also installed gimp (which works fine - is version 2.8) and gedit (which works but gives warning messages in console about not connecting to DBUS - however, it turns out to be version 2.30.4 which seems to be lower than your error message for installing gnome gives as a dependency). I also have backports trusty in my sources.list (needed that for newer version of game that I wanted) but I just used apt-get install gedit and didn't try fetching it specifically from backports.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#109 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote: I guess removing the priority for special mint repository in /etc/apt/preferences.d/official-package-repositories.pref (or deleting the file) will reverse 100% Ubuntu packages compatibility. Also needs testing.
Hi Toni,

Not that I understand what I'm doing, but I also just removed the entries for linux mint repositories in above .pref file (in MintPup) and then tried apt-get update && apt-get install gedit and that brought me version 3.10.4 from ubuntu repositories. I also tried apt-get install gnome and sure enough it seemed willing to install the huge stuff required (I didn't actually install it tho...).

However, I guess for the most part full ubuntu repository compatibility isn't overly important in Linux Mint (or thus MintPup). Having said that, these big ubuntu versions of games I installed worked fine in MintPup.

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#110 Post by mcewanw »

By the way, cthisbear,

On one of my computers I just use the grub4dos already on my harddrive to boot MintPup from my /dev/sda4 partition (using Portues boot save on EXIT boot method, where the 'changes' persistence folder ends up on same partition as the MintPup installation itself - I use ext4 filesystem).

To install the MintPup files there, I just open up the iso and copy the casper directory into my ext4 formatted sda4 partition; same thing could be done with ext2, 3, or 4 formatted sda1 partition or wherever.

I then boot that MintPup /dev/sda4 install using this menu.lst stanza:

title Mint - Porteus save on EXIT in directory /casper/changes 
root (hd0,3)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/casper/
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz
That automatically creates a 'changes' folder inside /casper (on sda4) which provides save persistence.

Basically, with my own favourite - this Porteus boot method, it is just like a Puppy frugal install using a folder for save persistence rather than a save file (which the other boot methods provide).

On another computer, I actually boot it from an ext2 formatted SD card (but same menu.lst for usb stick with appropriate UUID specified) with the menu.lst stanza:

title Mint - Porteus save on EXIT in directory /casper/changes 
uuid 'My SD card or usb sticks UUID obtained from blkid command'
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/casper/
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz
It's very similar to install DebianDog using Porteus boot save on EXIT boot method, though DD is currently much more polished/full-featured than MintPup. The only difference in the (DD Porteus boot method) installation is that the installation folder is called /live rather than /casper for DebianDog (though my DD has kernel name vmlinuz1 whereas its just vmlinuz on my MintPup install - best to always check the actual names). I use DD-jwm-wheezy on my older computer and DD-openbox-wheezy on my newer ones, though I probably should try Jessie versions on the newer ones (which are from around 2009).

EDIT: Note that there is a very flexible installer program called debdog-install (DebianDog-installer in the menu) in any version of DebianDog (though only most recent testing versions work with SD cards). I actually use that to put grub4dos (including initial menu.lst and grldr) onto my usb sticks and then just manually copy the MintPup files onto the stick and modify the menu.lst to boot MintPup. Eventually, MintPup could have the same utility available/provided with it.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#111 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Removing 'base_only' from the boot command makes it boot.
Didn't test but I think it has to do with this in linuxrc:

if param base_only; then
grep live /tmp/modules | grep -v modules > /tmp/mod
I guess that live should be changed to casper:

if param base_only; then
grep casper /tmp/modules | grep -v modules > /tmp/mod
Thanks Fred!
I'm sure other problems will be found later but I will try to fix this one. I prefer to touch porteus-boot process less as possible. I made big mistake in the previous iso changing /mnt/live to /mnt/casper making many scripts from DD incompatible.

Toni

saintless

#112 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.
mcewanw wrote:However, I guess for the most part full ubuntu repository compatibility isn't overly important in Linux Mint (or thus MintPup).
But it is the most important part for me and I will try to restore full Ubuntu packages compatibility. I agree for Linux Mint it should not be very important but this MintPup-base has nothing (or almost nothing) from Mint repository included.
Maybe Wanderer or someone else will try to install special Mint utilities but I do not plan to include such. I'm interested much more from Ubuntu repositories.
mcewanw wrote:(though my DD has kernel name vmlinuz1 whereas its just vmlinuz on my MintPup install - best to always check the actual names).
This is because I like to keep official Mint boot names the same (vmlinuz and initrd.lz). And the name /casper instead /live. It was easy to use unchanged initrd1.xz from DD and booting MintPup-Base from /live instead. But this means to use always live-media-path= parameter and official Mint documentation will not be 100% valid anymore using by default the Debian /live boot directory. Using mint boot unchanged should keep the documentation compatible with MintPup-base (and I hope every fix or change for Linux Mint in the future to be compatible with MintPup).

Toni

fredx181

#113 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:I'm sure other problems will be found later but I will try to fix this one. I prefer to touch porteus-boot process less as possible. I made big mistake in the previous iso changing /mnt/live to /mnt/casper making many scripts from DD incompatible.
Yes, the /mnt/live should be untouched, it's a different thing as /live, I think for the rest you got it right (I noticed also that Wiiliam reported 'save on exit' from directory works well)

BTW, it's first time I test Mintpup, I saw your screenshots from earlier version that has the nice menu-puppy and also xfe installed, why not on this last one?

Edit:
Toni wrote:
........it was a nightmare. I will never touch ubuntu agiain.......
You obviously changed your mind?

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 18 Jul 2015, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

PeasyWifi VERY EXPERIMENTAL deb package for Ubuntu, Debian

#114 Post by saintless »

My last experiment with deb package for PeasyWifi.
I prefer to attach this second deb in different post. The first peasywifi deb package from here is almost unchanged from official PeasyWifi scripts.
This second attached here peasywifi_3.5_i386-Ubuntu-Debian-VERY-EXPERIMENTAL.deb package is changed much more.
Test it only in DebianDog, MintPup-base, Ubuntu, Debian and derivatives with fully working apt-get.
It is important the postinstall script to do its job. Simple extracting the deb in your system doesn't work.

The package needs also yad and gtkdialog from here:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/De ... /Included/
All mods in peasywifi script have "#mod for DD" line.

This deb checks if the system has working $HOME/Startup directory (as in Puppy, DD, MintPup-base) and does nothing if it is found (searching for "up &" line in .xsession). Otherwise the deb creates working $HOME/Startup setup in your system by adding ~/Startup folder in each real (created with addnewuser) account inside /home and creating $HOME/.xsessionrc file (if it doesn't exist already).

The default connection is wired managed on boot from /etc/init.d/peasywifi. It has functions for wired and wifi connection and if wifi autoconnection is available the connection will be auto-started after reboot from ~/Startup/peasywifi_auto script.
Or after typing:

sudo /etc/init.d/peasywifi start
logout and login again.
The deb is much more complicated than I hoped to make it and not tested with real wifi connection yet.
Multiuser function is added by workarounds as special gsu-peasywifi startup script (instead gksu) and changing the permissions in $HOME/Startup and $HOME/.xsessionrc.

Wired auto connection works with systemd boot and peasywifi can be installed together with wicd without conflicts. Both will use dhcpcd from Puppy.

Some screenshots from debian Live Lxde official CD available here and here.

I don't know if this experiment will be useful for anyone but I will test it more when I have time.

And don't forget it is experimental deb package. Recommended for testing with live systems and fresh persistent file or directory.

Toni
Attachments
peasywifi_3.5_i386-Ubuntu-Debian-VERY-EXPERIMENTAL.deb.tar
Remove fake .tar
(81.84 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Last edited by saintless on Sat 18 Jul 2015, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#115 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:BTW, it's first time I test Mintpup, I saw your screenshots from earlier version that has the nice menu-puppy and also xfe installed, why not on this last one?
Not untill I'm happy with the result, Fred :) Much more has to be tested and fixed first.
The uploaded iso is only fixed base for further building from Wanderer and anyone interested.

Toni

saintless

#116 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Edit:
Toni wrote:
........it was a nightmare. I will never touch ubuntu agiain.......
You obviously changed your mind?
Still don't like it much but the base is good and I will try to build something better.

Toni

cthisbear

#117 Post by cthisbear »

mcewanw: Thanks mate for your advice.

Chris.

futwerk

#118 Post by futwerk »

a few backgrounds.
Attachments
mintpup18.jpg
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x4v77bi1p58ox/puppy2013
(11.4 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
mintpup17,5.jpg
(56.66 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
mintpup17,2.jpg
(9.42 KiB) Downloaded 428 times

wanderer

#119 Post by wanderer »

futwerk

those backgrounds are awesome

when saintless is satisfied with his creation
we can add some stuff to his base
and use your artwork

thanks for doing them

wanderer

otoshan

#120 Post by otoshan »

Thanks for iso. I have some questions.

How can i full remove jwm and install xfce4?
Can i use remasterdog from debiandog?