For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

#121 Post by stemsee »

finished compiling 4.7.4-PuPpY-64
Seems ok! Wifi working!
I will upload it after some testing!

Dry Falls

#122 Post by Dry Falls »

Stemsee, can you post the DOTconfig64 you used?

stemsee

#123 Post by stemsee »

Hereyou go!
Attachments
DOTconfig-4.7.4-.gz
(166.9 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

stemsee

#124 Post by stemsee »

Everyone who downloaded the 4.7.4 DOTconfig please note I have been running the kernel for two days and it consistenlty slows and locks up the system. It may be a memory management problem or some other configuration which particularly effects chromium. I remember selecting a few new features marked experimental!!! Sorry!

I have reverted to kernel 4.7.0 by DF until I have reconfigured and recompiled 4.7.4

Dry Falls

#125 Post by Dry Falls »

k4.7.4 package is in the kcompile sfs (in /root/.kernelpkg). It's not presented any problems, nor has one I compiled with your dot-config file (available at gdrive: 'k4.7.4Puppy.tar.gz'). The freezing and locking has been an issue for me since the original LH64. I believed it was due to a bad hardware clock (which I have) but it went away when I did a full fsck with gparted of all my partitions. I also deleted and rebuilt the swap partition. Check your /initrd/tmp/check-ext-fs.log if you have a save file or "pfix=fsck". Mine consistently showed time stamp errors which is why I had time set from internet and hdclock -w. I really don't think it's a kernel problem, but maybe.

ps, ./ubuild.sh missed patching aufs.utils to the kernel-modules, placing libau.so in the top instead of /usr/lib64. I moved them manually It's not done this before. Do you have a newer build script? Mine is June2016. Thanks,

df

ps #2 I've made the sfs files a bit smaller. If you run a lot of addons or big ones, choose mnt instead of ram at boot up, especially when running chrome browser, which seems to shove some pretty important stuff into the swap so it can bogart as much memory as it can. In fact, the firefox clones are doing this too now. I'm not real impressed with the way linux handles the swap drive as it is, but this is an area which I understand next to nothing of.

gcmartin

#126 Post by gcmartin »

I have a NUC system with NO permanent STORAGE; merely 32GB RAM. Everyone knows I boot, run, and sessions to DVD. Latest versions of JLH boot, but when it goes to sleep the system locks, inconsistently. Sometimes when asleep and I tap the ESC key or the spacebar or someother key, to awaken, it will spring back to life. Other times, it is locked. Is there a relationship to your lockup and mine?

Recommendations to assist identifying.

Dry Falls

#127 Post by Dry Falls »

GC, glad it boots. Lighthouse is intended to be installed. There's only so much one can expect running 'pristine' ram only. That seems a bit overkill. But then I have little experience with miniture technology. I'm more into catapults than derringers. Be that as it may, power management is set to blank screen in 30 minutes and suspend in 60. If that's not working for you, disable or change settings with a right click on the power tray icon. "presentation mode" disables it.

Stemsee, there seems nothing wrong with the ubuild script, as the old one does the same now. The problem is in aufs-utilities. Maybe it needs a different patch? Meanwhile, edit-sfs the kernel modules package and move libau.so & symlinks to ./usr/lib64. Doesn't seem to be any other problems. Running on k4.7.5 now and it's working good.

df

stemsee

#128 Post by stemsee »

Glad you figured it out! I will add some code to automate the libau.so move!

The system slow-down/lock-up could have been caused by background processes propagating, because of a script I was working on (Desk-Top File Router), yet running k4.7.0 it is very much less frequent and more stable!

Post your config for k4.7.5 please. Let's have a look!

Dry Falls

#129 Post by Dry Falls »

It's pretty much the same as before:

also, I routinely choose 'big' firmware.
Attachments
DOTconfig-4.7.5-.fake.gz
(169.25 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

stemsee

#130 Post by stemsee »

i may have posted n older script of the wifi-connection suite! As I found psk encryption in the script I am using on jl64.

So took my touchscreen laptop to lecture and using xvkbd taking notes typing directly on screen! The feeling is just as good as using a top-end Android tablet, in conjunction with refsdnd app by stemsee. Using this setup on my lenovo fold-under-keyboard touchscreen laptop is a paradaisical experience = truly pleasurable/reliable and stress-free! This is WoW ... I mean WOW!

But I realize that text is added at the bottom of the page not top so the keyboard needs to have two launchers. 1) xvkbd opens at bottom of screen for web input/use 2) xvkbd opens at top of screen for long typing sessions.

the only thing missing is text input prediction! I will need to look into that!

stemsee

Dry Falls

#131 Post by Dry Falls »

keyboard already opens at top-left (varies with window manager) if called from the menu (->System|System Tools). But the (default) config makes it smaller and includes keypad. I think I got it originally from Quirky April.

df

gcmartin

#132 Post by gcmartin »

Yes @Stemsee. It is an excellent experience. Have used this touch experience since the days of @TaZoC's Lighthouse. Truly beneficial. I have also used it to record while using the touch functions simultaneously, at times. My HP touch laptop travels with me to all seminar events.

Thanks @Dry Falls for what you have done to keep this moving forward for us.

Dry Falls

changelog

#133 Post by Dry Falls »

uploaded: (check sfs-update)

better delta file for JL64-700.sfs (off of Just-Lighthouse64-700f.iso);
updated slackware packages;
removed more obsolete libraries;
rm abiword, gnumeric & claws-mail (now in goffice_suite-0.28-JL64.sfs);
rm ffmpeg & ffplay (now in ffmpeg-3.0.3-x86_64-1gv.sfs with dependencies);
fixed puppypin;
rm man pages from DOC.sfs (now in man_tools-14.2.sfs);
thinned 3_dev-extra.sfs (python/perl +);
k4.7.5 in kcompile-JL64-6.sfs*;
gimp in 5_JL64-700.sfs (icons.themes,conky-switcher,backgrounds);
xscreensaver-5.35-x86_64-JL64.sfs is standalone addon;
rm mariadb from 2_qt5-5.6.1-x86_64-1.sfs (now 2_mariadb-10.0.27-x86_64-1_slack14.2.sfs);

*mkMariner-iso (menu|Setup) will create a Mariner-like iso depositing the included kernel pkg and running basefile. Add your own sfs files. Use to update iso or installation. Addon also contains StemSee's remaster suite.

stemsee

#134 Post by stemsee »

delta not working here with pristine main sfs from iso.

Do you still have the iso before 700f? I want that one! As the keyboard randomly changes from us to uk/gb!! And volume/brightness/arrow keys not working no matter what i do!

Dry Falls

#135 Post by Dry Falls »

Restored JL64-700-3 (Aug15) & JL64-700lt (Aug24). I'll upload the new sfs later (only works in the wee hours) for testing. I'd sure like to know what's causing this.

what midsum do you get on your iso? It should be

Code: Select all

2cf372cdbb4ca9d077074ea27ba0801f  Just-Lighthouse64-700f.iso
df

ps, when applying the delta patch, don't just click on it but use Xdelta file difference manager from menu|utilities. Drag original into top box and delta file into bottom and press generate. Also make sure original and delta are in different locations.

belham2

#136 Post by belham2 »

Dry Falls wrote:wine and libreoffice are available as sfs addons at gdrive (link in opening post).

Uploaded k4.6.3.tar.gz kernel package. I don't suspect there's much advantage to the kernel itself but I think the configuration is slightly improved.

df

Haha DryFalls,

I'm gonna reach thru the Internet and curse you if this new kernel package messes up my perfectly good, fully functioning JL-700! Just kidding, will back everything just in case.... :D

gcmartin

#137 Post by gcmartin »

I noticed, yesterday, the housekeeping you have been doing. I think I can see where you're heading,currently. Thanks

The "make Mariner" is an new and interesting concept for those of us who have been with Lighthouse for years. In my knowledge of the LH vs. the LH Mariner, it was in the SFSs that were on the ISO: Thus, there was the base ISO and there was a Mariner ISO. So, although the past JLH base has evolved to have a little different Linux items in its base, I can see where the script can be a nice utility whether a Mariner ISO is available or not. Thanks again.

in the last version of JLH7, to create the items I was accustomed to in LH Mariner, I had to:
  1. downloaded the ISO
  2. burned the ISO to DVD
  3. used pBurn to add the SFSs you provided on your website (this protects the UEFI items in the ISO system)
  4. Boot the updated DVD to include many most of the new features, OOTB, which you have for us giving the booted system an almost Mariner equivalent.
Thanks for all the great work you, and everyone, has done to advance this distro. It presents many very good and compelling structures for our use, OOTB. It can be viewed as work of art that is both beautiful in concept and functional in performances.

Looking forward to your target.

Dry Falls

#138 Post by Dry Falls »

belham2 wrote:I'm gonna reach thru the Internet and curse you if this new kernel package messes up my perfectly good, fully functioning JL-700! Just kidding, will back everything just in case.... :D
My new theory is that every item which works depends upon another which is a mistake, and therefore, doesn't. Derived axiom #1: One must be wary of fixing errors, even the really embarrassing ones.

@GC, the target, of course is the reduction of embarrassing situations. This may in fact be a universal impossibility! But thanks for the encouragement.

@StemSee, can you determine whether the problem is with the kernel configuration or the base file? Should be fairly quick test (same sfs, two diferent kernel packages or vice versa). Thanks ahead. Ps., I don't know if I mentioned it but all my kernel builds use the 'big' firmware package.

df

stemsee

#139 Post by stemsee »

I only clicked the delta!!

Will the delta upgrade 700.3?

Where is the huge-4.7.5 kernel?

Dry Falls

#140 Post by Dry Falls »

stemsee wrote:Where is the huge-4.7.5 kernel?
if you load the latest kcompile sfs (currently v6) it is in ~/.kernelpkg (k4.7.5.tar.gz).

The delta doesn't apply to any iso. It works with the JL64-700.sfs which was found on Just-Lighthouse64-700f. Sorry I don't have any consistent version control system, but I'm getting there.

Currently, if you run mkMariner-iso (also on the kcompile addon), the script extracts the kernel package and deposits vmlinuz & initrd.xz into the remaster working directory along with the currently running JL64-700.sfs. All you have to do is add/replace sfs files and press go.

Note that this is not a remaster. it merely creates the build directory at /mnt/home and uses the tail end of the remasterpup2 script to proceed, so all you really have to do is choose the partition which houses /mnt/home and then click ok at the dialog prompt. You end up with a dual hybrid iso.

df