Fatdog64-700 beta2 [Closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
step

package update R-3.1.2

#121 Post by step »

[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

jamesbond

#122 Post by jamesbond »

- notecase problem should be fixed by installing mime-support from repo.
- CD/DVD problem should be fixed by installing disktype from repo.
- x11vnc problem is fixed by re-installing the same version from repo (or just edit /usr/share/applications/x11vnc.desktop and remove everything from -log thereafter).
- If the ibiblio's repo is slow then open /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc and comment out the ibiblio's OFFICIAL repo and uncomment the URL to other repo. Note: only *one* official repo can be enabled.
- fatdog-split-initrd - I think the warning is harmless.

Thanks for everyone who helps during our absence.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

JustGreg

#123 Post by JustGreg »

My Mistake on this one.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

step

#124 Post by step »

jamesbond wrote:- x11vnc problem is fixed by re-installing the same version from repo (or just edit /usr/share/applications/x11vnc.desktop and remove everything from -log thereafter).
Confirmed, the new package fixes x11vnc problem. (it changes the x11vnc.desktop file but not in the way jamesbond describes).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

gcmartin

XRDP and X11VNC server support remote access needs

#125 Post by gcmartin »

Consistent with @Step and @Jamesbond, wondering if the work done by @GoingNuts on remote access allowing Linux, Unix or Windows machines, which already have RDP clients, to access this distro, will be extended to services such that we access FATDOG. With his solution, no software need be installed on most PCs who would access FATDOG for a desktop. His solution intends to bring an ease of use approach without having to change apps on the PCs that would need to get a FATDOG desktop.

Most every 64bit PC shipped with enough RAM to support the ability to have several desktop users simultaneously connected and using.

Hope this helps.

neerajkolte

How to switch numlock on using setleds while bootup?

#126 Post by neerajkolte »

Can any one help me to understand how to use setleds to switch ON numlock at bootup.
Please see My Post about it. (Yes I know I can use numlockx, I am just looking at alternative which is already present in FD).
Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Sage

#127 Post by Sage »

numlock at bootup.
What happens if you switch it on in BIOS? Does it get switched off again?

JustGreg

#128 Post by JustGreg »

neerajkolte, I am no expert on the system start up process. But, here is an idea (or guess) for you. There is the file, /etc/rc.d/rc.local, that is run before the start of Xwindows.

On this laptop, it is used to configure Raedon DPM power management. In earlier puppies, one used the file to setup the firewall.

I did try setleds command in urxvt, but, one gets IOcontrol error (KDGKBLED: Inappropriate ioctl for device) with setleds command. I was not able to test setleds use in /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

I would also check the Fatdog64 documentation on boot parameters to see if one can use Sage's suggestion.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

neerajkolte

#129 Post by neerajkolte »

Thanks for reply,
@Sage Numlock is set to On in bios.
It stays On while booting till it says "running auchk" then switches off as soon as Graphical Window Manager starts.

@Greg I saw of editing /etc/rc.d/rc.localin ubuntu help.
Enabling NumLock for Virtual Consoles (TTYs)
If you use the virtual consoles regularly, then you will quite likely want to have numlock on for the TTYs after boot up. The status of numlock/scroll-lock/capslock can be manipulated with the setleds command. One way to guarantee that numlock will be turned on after bootup for the TTYs is to run setleds via rc.local (a script run after every runlevel change; which in particular runs after booting up). To do so add something similar to the following in the file /etc/rc.local:

Code: Select all

# Turn Numlock on for the TTYs:
for tty in /dev/tty[1-6]; do
    /usr/bin/setleds -D +num < $tty
done
Also found a different way from LFS site.
I have my doubts about that.
But I will try editing rc.local.

By the way "KDGKBLED: Inappropriate ioctl for device" error you are getting because setleds need full CLI, it doesn't work in graphical environment.
Try ctrl+alt+F3 then login and use the command. It works as explained by me in the post.

Also numlockx from 631 repo works ok. I just wanted to see if I can use builtin alternative.
Thanks.

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

neerajkolte

#130 Post by neerajkolte »

Well editing rc.local like said in ubuntu help only works for tty consols.
When I press ctrl+alt+F3 I can see that numlock is enabled there. But not in graphical desktop (ctrl+alt+F4).

I will try only putting "/usr/bin/setleds +num" in rc.local.
Thanks.

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

Sage

#131 Post by Sage »

Ah yes, is this an USB k/b on a laptop? Most k/b are USB these days and they signal numlock differently to PS/2 which seems to operate within some kind of FW-only coding (NB: I don't do coding - I said that a century ago and several times since). PS/2 ports were a forerunner of USB but were not hot-pluggable. Mind you, a USB k/b or mouse can be useful for troublesome OS start-ups because they override non-functioning PS/2 and serial/parallel devices, esp. when their plugs have fallen out.

neerajkolte

#132 Post by neerajkolte »

Nope this is an PS/2 keyboard on a desktop with intel i3 processor, intel DH61bf mobo.

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

Sage

#133 Post by Sage »

Ha! I've had trouble keeping it OFF in the past! Think it used to be Mandrake/Mandriva that kept switching it back on? Just for kicks, why not (hot-)plug an USB k/b in and see what happens? Otherwise, just have to wait for the SW gurus to sort it out...

Ted Dog

#134 Post by Ted Dog »

Time for black electrical tape over the num lock led... like the flashing 12:00 on last centurys VCRs. :D

neerajkolte

#135 Post by neerajkolte »

I have 2 sets of input devices, one mouse is PS/2 and other is usb, unfortunately both keyboards are PS/2. I connect other kbd through a PS/2 to Usb connector. I will see how it plays.
Thanks.

@ Ted I do that to led on my phone's charger.

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

Sage

#136 Post by Sage »

PS/2 to Usb connector
They sell 'em, but I've never found one that works. If yours does, let me know where to get one.

neerajkolte

#137 Post by neerajkolte »

My PS/2 to USB adapter looks something like this image.
I got it from local shops for aprox around 2$.
It works ok.

It's not connected to my machine always. I only use it to have a kind of multiseat configuration using a code jamesbond provided me on fd631's thread(page 18)

Code: Select all

/usr/share/sandbox/Xephyr -keybd evdev,,device=/dev/input/eventXXX,xkbrules=evdev,xkbmodel=evdev -mouse evdev,,device=/dev/input/eventYYY -screen 1024x768 -retro :1 & 
DISPLAY=:1 openbox & 
DISPLAY=:1 razor-panel & 
DISPLAY=:1 rox -p /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin 
where I find eventXXX and eventYYY by running "evtest" on terminal and find which event devices correspond to my spare usb mouse/keyboard.

But I couldn't make same thing with KVM-QEMU. I might have to get usb kbd to make it work. See the discussion Here.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

prehistoric

#138 Post by prehistoric »

I've also used PS/2 to USB connectors like that successfully. (I'd send you a picture of mine, but I'm afraid it stayed with someone else who likes the feel of old keyboards.) I have also had a working separate PS/2 keyboard to USB connector, which looks like PS/2 mouse to USB connectors, only violet. These are nearly impossible to find any more. I'll check on suppliers.

One caution, don't expect to stack these up by going through a KVM switch after conversion. Both devices draw power from the USB port. It might work, but more likely will have too big a drop in voltage. This is especially true if you use an older keyboard which draws more power.

Added: My link above illustrates a common problem with things on the Internet. When I found this, I decided to replace the adapter which had wondered away to another house. My order went through quickly. Immediately after I placed the order, the message that this was no longer available appeared. Today, I notice that the price has also risen. I've had good luck with Cables2Go, but can't say much about other suppliers.

BTW: The single adapters don't have internal electronics, and depend on the keyboard to behave differently on USB. They only work on keyboards designed to accommodate them.
Last edited by prehistoric on Sat 06 Dec 2014, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

JustGreg

#139 Post by JustGreg »

I am trying to use Arduino IDE version 1.5.8 to program an Arduino Yun board. The Arduino Yun has both a regular USB port and Wifi programming.

The wifi section of the board uses Open WRT Linux. It works fine. I can access the web server and ssh to get to the Linux command line. I can control the Linux side, but not the microprocessor. I need to program/upload a "bridge sketch" to microprocessor to allow the needed functions.

The Arduino IDE does not see the board either the wifi connection or the USB port when the USB is connected. I have tried lsusb to see if the device is detected. It is not listed. I have tried several things with no luck. The basic troubleshooting guide for the Arduino says to check the /dev/ttyusb#. However, they do not exist with either Fatdog64 630 or 700. I also tried Slacko 5.7 with the same results. Other documentation makes a reference to /dev/ttyACM0. Additionally, the Arduino IDE reports the port being used is "COM1". So there is something wrong. Any ideas for me to try, before I post the problem on Arduino forum. Thanks in advance for any help.

Once I get everything to work, I will probably make a package for others to use.

The problem was the cable! It only carried power and not data. Changing the cable to another resulted in things working correctly. Six hours of head banging over a cable :x The board now communicates with the computer. However, I have library problems. Can not find libncurses.so.5 Both the 32 bit and 64 bit is available, but, which one is needed. To be continued :?
Last edited by JustGreg on Sun 07 Dec 2014, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

Sage

#140 Post by Sage »

looks something like this image
separate PS/2 keyboard to USB connector,
It's only the latter single type that I've had problems with. A couple I bought and another was supplied with a very expensive USB k/b. Don't remember exact circumstances of testing but may have gone via a KVM console in some, but not all, instances. Also, have a penchant for some of those sturdy old monsters with tactile feedback, no Wdze key, etc. Saves keep going back to capitalise and insert letters that didn't register on modern junk.