Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Snail

GXINE and BK method

#1221 Post by Snail »

@ _MegadetH_

Hi I see I am not the only one who finds that gxine crashes their system. This seems a rather serious fault for a final release of mainstream puppy. Has anyone got a fix for this?

About the "BK method". Sorry to be so terse. I meant that when you first click the "connect" desktop icon to get an internet connection, Lupu gives you a choice between using the old method, as used in 4.3, or a new more automated way, written by Barry Kauler himself. This is what I meant by the "BK" method. It worked first time on my system, connecting to a wifi router running DHCP and WPA/TKIP.

otropogo

gxine wont run

#1222 Post by otropogo »

On my system Gxine simply won't run under Lucid 5.0.1. It opens a window briefly on the desktop, then it closes after a couple of seconds.

Never had this problem in 4.3.1
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

bstorm

Install GLX -

#1223 Post by bstorm »

I have installed Barry`s nvidia driver and I am having no luck getting the GLX to load. The Nvidia config says it cannot read GLX server. I have edited xorg,conf to "Load" GLX. any ideas? I have also installed the "mesa" as recommended in one post. The GLX workd fine in puppy 431 with the nvidia 185 driver installed.
Last edited by bstorm on Mon 07 Jun 2010, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#1224 Post by rcrsn51 »

playdayz wrote:
TJK wrote:
I'm relatively new to Puppy... downloaded it a few weeks ago and have been mostly using it since then. The biggest problem is that I can't get my printer to work. (So I have to then reboot into Kubuntu to print) It appears from what I've read that CUPS may not be working yet... I'm trying to setup a HP PSC 1401. Can anyone help?

Go here and get the hpijs-3.10.2-dynppd.pet. It contains a driver for the HP PSC 1400 Series that should work in Lupu.

rcrsn51: That's exactly what I needed to get CUPS working. Thanks very much!
I have seen this mentioned several times. Does it contain many HP drivers, so that it should be included in lupu? Thanks.
Puppy has always had various HP printer/scanner driver packages. These tended to be large because the old CUPS 1.1 only worked with static PPD files. The new CUPS 1.3 and 1.4 versions support dynamic PPD files, so the PETs can be much smaller.

Many Lupu users will find a driver for their HP printer from the built-in Gutenprint system. If not, the hpijs-3.10.2-dynppd.pet from here covers the entire collection of HP Linux-compatible printers.

The companion package is the hplip-3.9.12-scan.pet which contains the standard scanner driver used by many HP units and is compatible with Xsane. It has been briefly tested in Lupu and looks OK.

playdayz

#1225 Post by playdayz »

rcrsn5
Puppy has always had various HP printer/scanner driver packages. These tended to be large because the old CUPS 1.1 only worked with static PPD files. The new CUPS 1.3 and 1.4 versions support dynamic PPD files, so the PETs can be much smaller.

Many Lupu users will find a driver for their HP printer from the built-in Gutenprint system. If not, the hpijs-3.10.2-dynppd.pet from here covers the entire collection of HP Linux-compatible printers.

The companion package is the hplip-3.9.12-scan.pet which contains the standard scanner driver used by many HP units and is compatible with Xsane. It has been briefly tested in Lupu and looks OK.
Thank you for the very clear explanation. The tentative plan is to offer an add-on pet with additional printer drivers--and possibly the scanner drivers also. There is also the foomatic-db--it has been included in some of the lupu and luci builds but is not included in luci-202. I plan to ask people to test to see how helpful it is. Would you have any knowledge or suggestions there. By default Barry includes foomatic-db-engine and foomatic-filters, but not foomatic-db itself--foomatic-db is large, about 5-6 MB packed, 17 MB unpacked. Thanks again.

Pizzasgood

Re: Netbook with WLAN-Chip Via VT6655 - kernel panic

#1226 Post by Pizzasgood »

mave wrote:Hi,

wondering why Lucid Puppy gets a kernel panic on one of my machines. It seems to be a bug of the vt6655-module in the kernel. Problems also reported in the Ubuntu forums... Puppy 4.x with no trouble on booting, running this WLAN easy with ndiswrapper.

So, how to boot Lucid avoiding this kernel panic?
(taken brokenmodules=vt6655 forces rebooting, rebooting, rebooting...)

Thanks!
If you get the kernel source and apply this patch, and recompile, it seems to work, at least in the heavily modified version of 5.0 that I've been working with.

Unfortunately, it seems the kernel was compiled with a different version of GCC than the one in the devx file, so it isn't possible to simply compile the driver and post it for you (unless I had the same development environment as was used to compile the kernel, which doesn't match the devx file...). To use the devx file for driver building, the entire kernel and all modules need to be recompiled, and the initrd.gz file updated. It comes out to be more than 40 megabytes worth of stuff. Of course, it's all stuff that you already have, so it would amount to nothing if you had a full-install or if you remastered so that things could be overwritten correctly instead of living in the savefile.

Again, please note that everything I've said in this post is based on a heavily modified version of 5.0 (and I don't actually know what all of those modifications are). I also know very little about kernel development. So I apologize if any of the above is bogus.

If you really want it, I can post the kernel and modules and initrd.gz file that I made. (The initrd.gz file is based on the original - no modifications besides the newer drivers.) I don't know if any drivers changed between 5.0 and 5.0.1... Also, I didn't have the ndiswrapper source, so I didn't recompile the ndiswrapper kernel module. The normal one does still load when I modprobe it, so maybe it's okay as is. I didn't test that with any actual hardware though. (Of course, if you're looking for a working vt6655 file you probably don't care about ndiswrapper, but people who might be considering including it in future Puppies would.)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

TJK

#1227 Post by TJK »

Another questions from a newbie:
I've searched for hours on how to easily upgrade from 5.00 lucid to 5.01, but have found nothing other then backing up packages, drivers, sfs files, etc and then copying them over the newly installed sfs files. What I was hoping for was either an automatic upgrade or, a pet that would would add or overwrite the old files (like version 4.3 had).
What options do I have? (Which are the simplest)

Nooblet0218

#1228 Post by Nooblet0218 »

TJK wrote:Another questions from a newbie:
I've searched for hours on how to easily upgrade from 5.00 lucid to 5.01, but have found nothing other then backing up packages, drivers, sfs files, etc and then copying them over the newly installed sfs files. What I was hoping for was either an automatic upgrade or, a pet that would would add or overwrite the old files (like version 4.3 had).
What options do I have? (Which are the simplest)
in theory quickpet should update to a new version for us (or at least that's what i'm led to believe), but it isn't working for me either. Maybe this version isn't a big enough step up to warrant the quickpet upgrade?

playdayz

#1229 Post by playdayz »

n theory quickpet should update to a new version for us (or at least that's what i'm led to believe), but it isn't working for me either. Maybe this version isn't a big enough step up to warrant the quickpet upgrade?
Actually, it was more the other way. 5.0.1 was too big to use the update feature.

One easy way is to download the 5.0.1 iso and burn a disk and then boot that disk on the computer where you have been using 5.0. When the new 5.0.1 disk boots it will look for lupusvae files and if there is more than one you can choose the one you want to use (and update). Then as the new 5.0.1 boots it will update the lupusave and the Lupu-500.sfs. This way works best if you have been booting from a CD with the lupusave on a hard disk.

If you had made a frugal install, you can boot the 5.0.1. disk and then copy the files on the disk into the frugal directory of puppy-500 and then close the cd boot and reboot from the menu that the frugal install placed on your disk. When you boot lupu5.0.1 will see that it needs to do an upgrade.

Personally i almost always just start over with the new disk--for one thing it is much quicker than updating. If you have many personal files you don't want to lose then you can copy them to a safe external disk--external to the lupu_save file, and then you will have access to them when you boot lupu 5.0.1.

The best thing is to make sure you save your personal files before doing anything and then you can experiment--that is what Puppy is about, eh?

playdayz

#1230 Post by playdayz »

Unfortunately, it seems the kernel was compiled with a different version of GCC than the one in the devx file, so it isn't possible to simply compile the driver and post it for you (unless I had the same development environment as was used to compile the kernel, which doesn't match the devx file...).
Yes pizzasgood, that is the case in 5.0 and 5.0.1. 01micko has compiled a new kernel, well, same kernel 2.6.33.2 but compiled with lupu's gcc. That is used in the development releases beginning with luci 202 and 203 (just posted today). It will be used in 5.1 which we hope to release as soon as it reasonably possible--consistent with good testing and development. That has much more future.

Artie

#1231 Post by Artie »

Hello I'm trying out Lupu 501 on my old Dell Latitude c840 laptop. So far I have two questions:

My PS/2 mouse doesn't work but the mousepad on the laptop works fine. Works in 432.

Any chance of an Opera update or a later model in downloads?

Artie

playdayz

#1232 Post by playdayz »

Any chance of an Opera update or a later model in downloads?
Hi Artie, We have been staying with the latest official release. Is 10.50 released? You can go to opera.com and get the 10.50beta--if it is still beta, and unpack it and run it, as I remember.

mave

kernel panic (vt6655)

#1233 Post by mave »

Hi Pizzasgood ,

thanks for your reply, I didn't see first...
If you really want it, I can post the kernel and modules and initrd.gz file that I made. (The initrd.gz file is based on the original - no modifications besides the newer drivers.) I don't know if any drivers changed between 5.0 and 5.0.1... Also, I didn't have the ndiswrapper source, so I didn't recompile the ndiswrapper kernel module. The normal one does still load when I modprobe it, so maybe it's okay as is. I didn't test that with any actual hardware though. (Of course, if you're looking for a working vt6655 file you probably don't care about ndiswrapper, but people who might be considering including it in future Puppies would.)
Maybe I will try compiling the patched kernel, but this trouble-machine runs now with 4.1x WLan and ndiswrapper, which is okay. So I try deleting the vt6655-module inside lupu-xxx.sfs, looking what booting will give to me...

Markus

Artie

#1234 Post by Artie »

Have discovered that if I take out the plug for the ps/2 mouse and put it back in I can move the cursor and the buttons work on the mouse but not the scroll wheel. Have to do the same for every reboot. Hope this helps to isolate the problem.

Artie

LudgerH

#1235 Post by LudgerH »

Hallo Artie!
I had a problem with a PS2-mouse: The cursor sometimes moved very rapidly and it came to a crash of my x-window-system.http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55888 I solved the Problem by using a USB-hub and a USB-mouse. No problems since using the USB-Mouse.
MfG.LudgerH

playdayz

#1236 Post by playdayz »

Have you had trouble with gxine? This is the replacement we are strongly considering for Lucid Puppy 5.1. Please read all this, especially the part about any updates having some risk to them.

I apologize. I should have thought of this sooner. It turns out I had done all the work getting it ready for 5.1.

So here are gnome-mplayer and mplayer. You need to install both. Gnome-mplayer is a frontend for mplayer--gnome-mplayer has two problems we know about: 1) it does not do full screen properly, and 2) it does not do DVDs with Menus. Other than that it seems to work. On the plus side, it is drag and drop onto the desktop icon, or open the program and look for files of course. I haven't been testing on 5.0.1 but I just run through some quick tests and it played everything that the 5.1 version plays--which is everything I have tried.

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/g ... -Lucid.pet
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/m ... 1.0rc3.pet

I regard this as a hot fix for people who have been having trouble with gxine. But as I have said--no update is without some risk, so please back up everything important.

Oh yes, I think it will make Chromium 5 crash, so if you want to use both you should go to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and delete the 4 gecko-mediaplayer plugins.

Artie

#1237 Post by Artie »

Hello LudgerH thanks for the tip! :)

Artie

puprag

#1238 Post by puprag »

:lol: moved to bugs
Last edited by puprag on Thu 10 Jun 2010, 19:40, edited 2 times in total.

puprag

#1239 Post by puprag »

But I have had different results with different cpu, I managed to get my amd down to 50% but my intel is still 100% no matter what I have tried.

playdayz

#1240 Post by playdayz »

Xorg is taking up like 70% of the cpu?
That should not be of course. Can you boot with nothing extra and then use System -> Htop to see what the cpu is doing?