Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#1281 Post by James C »

5.2.7 RC2. Live pfix=ram on tha Athlon XP box....... everything working good on initial boot.
Booted live pfix-ram on the old P3 with 256 mb of ram........ loaded into ram and was able to remove cd.
Going to do a couple of installs for further testing.

nooby

#1282 Post by nooby »

I did test luci-268 and wonder if the Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2 is much changed. Should I test this one too then? I have an Acer D250 Netnook 10" screen intel graphics. I will download the iso just in case. but I have to go to bed now. :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Bert

#1283 Post by Bert »

Lucid 5.2.7 RC2

Looking good!

* sound working ootb (had to raise volume with alsamixer)

* Gnome Mplayer accepts localization! Plays mp3, mp4, not DVD ootb (but didn't try too hard, will look into it a bit more)

* Terminal is urxvt as default, not roxterm?

* Printer setup perfect

* Uget is still in two menu categories, Internet and Network. Intentional?

* Same for Help 101 (under Help and Document)

Thank You Playdayz et Al :!:
Last edited by Bert on Mon 08 Aug 2011, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

James C

#1284 Post by James C »

Frugal install on the main Linux box......used the installer to an ext 3 partition. No problems.
Gnome MPlayer playing cd's with no problems now.

No menu icon for Gnome MPlayer though.

Installed Nvidia driver, SeaMonkey, Flash, Conky etc....... no problems.

PaulBx1

#1285 Post by PaulBx1 »

Is the problem "only" that one cannot run fsck on an encrypted save file?
Well, we went over this before and you said no. I'd rather not put any more road blocks in front of this release. I want it done. I don't mind putting together a how-to.
Also, changes like this, and bugs like this, need to be brought to BarryK's attention.
I left a message on his blog a while back which he did not respond to, at least as long as I was watching it. Barry does not seem very excited about encryption. :)

James C

#1286 Post by James C »

Looks pretty solid......especially if you look at the utter lack of bug reports. :)

bigpup

#1287 Post by bigpup »

Lucid 527rc2
Fresh install
Frugal + save
Same for Help 101 (under Help and Document)
I only have one entry under help.
I have one under multimedia
icon looks like a strip of movie film with a play button.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

James C

#1288 Post by James C »

bigpup wrote:Lucid 527rc2
Fresh install
Frugal + save
Same for Help 101 (under Help and Document)
I only have one entry under help.
I realize that I didn't specify the window manager, the missing icon is in JWM. One of the first things I do is switch into JWM....just can't seem to like Openbox.
Attachments
missing icon.png
(11.13 KiB) Downloaded 915 times
Last edited by James C on Tue 09 Aug 2011, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#1289 Post by James C »

Live pfix=ram on a bit newer computer. Once again,everything working on initial boot.....internet,sound and display.

Tue 9 Aug 2011 Operating System: Lucid Puppy-527 Linux 2.6.33.2
d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: unknown
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (413x232 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Core 0: 2611 1: 2611 2: 2611 3: 2611 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 2854MB (181MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 09 Aug 2011 12:57:30 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

bigpup

#1290 Post by bigpup »

James C wrote:
Fresh install
Frugal + save
I realize that I didn't specify the window manager, the missing icon is in JWM. One of the first things I do is switch into JWM....just can't seem to like Openbox.
I was in Openbox.
Well, 50% there is better than none.
Playdayz will probably say:
That is a feature so you know you are using JWM :roll:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1291 Post by bigpup »

Lucid 527rc2
Frugal + save
Gnome Mplayer accepts localization! Plays mp3, mp4, not DVD ootb (but didn't try too hard, will look into it a bit more)
Tried a DVD movie in Gnome Mplayer
Put DVD disc in drive
Got SRO drive icon on desktop ( no mount indication)
Left clicked on icon
Gnome Mplayer started
Played audio of disc menu, but no video.
Went to file->Disc->Open DVD with Menus
Got Menu screen and audio.
Seemed to work from there.

In full window or full screen view:
menu selection high-lite was not over what you where selecting.
Gnome Mplayer menus would not completely close.
If you made any setting changes,while in reduced view mode, seemed to work OK.
Overall seems to work.

Note about save file size:
I made a save file of 128MB
Installed only the browser Iron 10
Save file freespace indicated on taskbar 27MB
So seems 128MB is not a very good figure to use for suggested save file size minimum.
I know you can put stuff in /mnt/home, but a new user will not know about that option. He will do like me and just download and install.
Even Linux is getting blotted software.
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

Hostname

#1292 Post by gcmartin »

There is a thread already opened on hostname. That thread provides a description for all PUPs to understand as it requests community contributions for overcoming the problems.

For those who may not know, HOSTNAME is a standard Linux environment variable.
Edited: For those who may not have thought about it, the Puppy main console, Ctrl-Alt-F1 is an "ever present login" of the root user. If you issue, either, the logout or the exit command on that terminal, Puppy will "redrive" a login; automaitcally,, "silently"..

What's been done
(I am posting here for 2 reasons)
  • 01Micko has already posted what appears to be a reasonable boot-time, OTB, method of addressing hostname such that "no 2 PuppyPCs" will occur on the same LAN at any given time (assuming NO hostname changes by the booting users)
  • Shinobar's FirstRUN/Peronalize Settings boot utility is employed in this PUPPY distro. This live media (pfix=ram) boot-time, OTB, utility allows a conscious opportunity for any user to select a name he would like to call his PC (assuming he may want to change the hostname at this time).
These two(2) reason directly relate to OTB Live media startup in this Puppy Lucid distro
These 2 community contributors have helped us with these needed updates to the PUP community.

But, there still exist one tiny problem, though. So here goes (I hope this is very clear even to the non-developers, too):
  1. At boot-time, a lot of things are done including setting the system's environment variables.
  2. 01Micko's update sets a non-duplicating PC hostname, sets the system's HOSTNAME environment variable and insure consistency in the system's files with that hostname
  3. when the system boots via the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1), the desktop is started from the "main console session" (Ctrl-Alt-F1) into desktop (Ctrl-Alt-F4).
  4. The environment variable that it uses are those from the "main console session". The desktop inherits the current system's environment variables.
  5. When Personalize Settings (PS) is run, if the uses enters any PC hostname he chooses, PS will change ALL values related to the system's hostname including the system's HOSTNAME environment variable that ANY new login session will have when a user logs in.. Note: Keywords "new login"
  6. But "Personalize Setting" cannot change the current HOSTNAME environment value for the current login in the current session which, incidentally, is paired ("twin") (Ctrl-Alt-F1 which started the desktop, Ctrl-Alt-F4 for PUP527).
The only way, I have found, to change the HOSTNAME environment variable for the running console and the desktop is via menu > "Exit to Prompt", a logout/exit command at the prompt, and xwin which restarts the console and the desktop. When this is done, the desktop and the main console have the correct value assigned to the environment variable chosen by the user. And, as a result, any system application that runs in either of these sessions (Ctrl-Alt-F1 or Ctrl-Alt-F4) which uses this environment variable will get the correct value reflecting the system's hostname.

In summary,
  • 01Micko insures that all booting OTB Live media PUPs do not duplicate their hostnames, "puppypc", on the LAN at ANY given time: AND,
  • Shinobar sets all appropriate fields if any user elects to change the initially assigned name.
And, in summary, the Linux standard field HOSTNAME requires a exit to prompt, and a logout for the Ctrl-Alt-F1 and its Ctrl-Alt-F4 sessions to obtain the updated HOSTNAME. (In fact, ALL running login sessions, Ctrl-Alt-(F1-Fx) must logout and login to have the correct HOSTNAME environment value when it is changed by Personalized Settings..

Only 1 Request from all of this
This is a request for a thoughtful solution to this last remaining issue dealing with hostname processing in Puppy. This benefits the total Puppy community indirectly and this Puppy, PUP527, directly.
  • Should Shinobar's Utility be called upon to logout then restart the desktop when the user picks a new hostname?
  • Should the "Exit to Prompt" function issue a logout when it exits the desktop and takes the user to the prompt?
Which would be best or is their another better method for the HOSTNAME to be updated for sessions which are logged in (Ctrl-Alt-F1/F4/etc.)?

This Puppy, Lucid PUPPY, is our community Flagship distro! We have a lot of distros in the Puppy community., But, this one, is the one that all/most newbies and seasoned users look up to.
Attachments
Personalize Setting on Live media boot.png
FirstRUN or Personalize Setting on boot from Live media
(81.85 KiB) Downloaded 1089 times
After FirstRUN before Logout.png
After Personalize Settings is completed
(33.02 KiB) Downloaded 1079 times
After Logout returns to desktop.png
After "Exit to Prompt" and logout
(35.64 KiB) Downloaded 1088 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 10 Aug 2011, 03:57, edited 7 times in total.

Sage

#1293 Post by Sage »

FULL upgrade seemed to go smoothly, but the sound has issues. Muted/ off in tray icon and retrovol missing in main menu/multimedia? Accessed via tray icon r.click. Still haven't cleaned down HD and done fresh install so much legacy stuff remains (rerwin!)
Firewall tray icon still ambiguous - could benefit from re-casting.
Very good indeed, but scope for additional polish.

Bert

#1294 Post by Bert »

Bert wrote: * Terminal is urxvt as default, not roxterm?

That was yesterday, before creating a save file. There was only urxvt on the desktop. Or was roxterm perfectly overlapped by urxvt? Today, with a save file, I saw the second terminal icon hidden under the top one, but slightly displaced, which made it visible.
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

playdayz

#1295 Post by playdayz »

I was in Openbox.
That is a feature so you know you are using JWM
OK, not a feature, but not fixed until Instant Update 001.

DVD's

I recommend XineDVD.
There was only urxvt on the desktop. Or was roxterm perfectly overlapped by urxvt? Today, with a save file, I saw the second terminal icon hidden under the top one, but slightly displaced, which made it visible.
BERT, Did you download immediately when it was posted? I am afraid you got the wrong 5.2.7. The right one is in ibilbio.org *not* diddywahdiddy. The link was only there for a few minutes. I apologize. But this sounds like an upgrade--to see the overlapping terminal icons--could that have happened by accident?

Note about save file size:
I made a save file of 128MB
Installed only the browser Iron 10
Yes. Iron 10 unpacks to 90+MB. Iron 10 is the only one there because it is the only one that works correctly., You can Update Lupu PPM to get some more choices though.

Brown Mouse

#1296 Post by Brown Mouse »

Frugal + save
Gnome Mplayer accepts localization! Plays mp3, mp4, not DVD ootb (but didn't try too hard, will look into it a bit more)
Tried a DVD movie in Gnome Mplayer
Put DVD disc in drive
Got SRO drive icon on desktop ( no mount indication)
Left clicked on icon
Gnome Mplayer started
Got Menu screen and audio.
Seemed to work from there.
I saw a similar thing but having done some further testing,discovered that it very much depended on what DVD I tried.
Some good quality DVD's came up with sound and video without the need to use file->Disc->Open DVD with Menus.
Poor quality DVD's gave unwatchable video playback.

bigpup

#1297 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:

I was in Openbox.
That is a feature so you know you are using JWM
OK, not a feature, but not fixed until Instant Update 001.
Please do not let an instant update be some way to fix a major bug if any are found.
I know you are getting to that point where "I'm tired of messing with this thing"
But the little fine details change something good to something great.
Fine polishing and fixing that "How did I miss that"? are where you are now.
Take a break and let us look for the polish.
Seems so far that is what is left to find. :D

Gcmartin raises a good point about Hostname. First time I have seen it so well analyzed and explained. I always follow the basic rule. If you change something critical to basic system operation. Reboot.
Really strange how that simple thing fixes a multitude of problems.
Maybe has something to do with the fact that Puppy runs all in memory in most cases.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1298 Post by bigpup »

Lucid 527rc2
Frugal + save

I do not have a computer that has a battery so can not test for this.
Question?
Anyone with one see battery indicator in tray?
What about traytemp?

Reason I ask.
In xerrs.log I see this on my computer.

killall: traytemp: no process killed
killall: vattery: no process killed

I assume this is because my computer does not provide input for them.
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1299 Post by playdayz »

Yes. This is bad. Initial testing shows same happens with gnome-mplayer 1.0.2 in 5.2.5. Ironically 1.0.4 does not seem to have the problem.

My first idea for a fix is to include XineDVD which I wanted to do anyway, *except* the iso would then be too big to fit into 256MB ram. I think our early versions were also but no one noticed or at least no one complained.

People do need to watch dvd's without hassle--that is basic usability.

I welcome possible fixes. Thanks.

Yes gcmatrin does explain the hostname dilemma well. rerwin has tweaked firstrun--maybe he sees a quick fix.

aarf

#1300 Post by aarf »

527rc2 startmount is working by itself without me sym-linking anything. thanks.
Attachments
startmount.tar.gz
(1 KiB) Downloaded 296 times