DebianDog - Wheezy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

#141 Post by saintless »

New debdog-installer from Fred uploaded:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 207#773207
fredx181 wrote::- added syslinux and extlinux as options for choosing bootloader.
- fixed showing (sometimes) wrong label (showing from previous plugged in usb drive).
Works fine on my hardware but more testing is needed especially from users who already had troubles with the old installer and grub4dos.

Toni
sunburnt

#142 Post by sunburnt »

Toni; I grabbed Fred`s installer, I`ll test it. What apt-get command installs a local .deb ?
I suppose Synaptic can install a local package also, I`ll have a look at that too.

seaside; Fred`s version is worth a look at, JWM`s sketchy in it`s control of the desktop.
As you can see above I still struggle using Debian. But it`ll become familiar soon enough.
I`ve used it for years on and off, I was a Debian forum member before here at Puppy.
The Debian manual is the best info. Here`s some manuals and the forum:
http://live-systems.org/manual/current/ ... al.en.html
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... 01.en.html
http://www.debianuserforums.org/index.php
This I found interesting. Multi-seat and PXE boot would be nice additions to DebianDog.
https://wiki.debian.org/Multi_Seat_Debian_HOWTO
saintless

#143 Post by saintless »

Hi, Terry.
Just right click on deb package and use Install from the menu. Every file manager has it as option.
Or use dpkg from terminal;

Code: Select all

dpkg -i package-name
I'm not sure about Synaptic. I think Debian has special programs for click and install local package.

Toni
jeffreyC

#144 Post by jeffreyC »

saintless wrote:Hi, Terry.
Just right click on deb package and use Install from the menu. Every file manager has it as option.
Or use dpkg from terminal;

dpkg -i package-name
I'm not sure about Synaptic. I think Debian has special programs for click and install local package.

Toni
Yes, it is called gdebi.
saintless

#145 Post by saintless »

jeffreyC wrote:
saintless wrote:...I think Debian has special programs for click and install local package.
Yes, it is called gdebi.
Thank you, jeffreyC! I guess it is for Gnome. A little too big for our needs.
Just checked the size. I'm glad we have alternative right click dpkg -i script install option:

root@debian:~# apt-get install gdebi
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  dbus-x11 dconf-gsettings-backend dconf-service gconf-service gconf2
  gconf2-common gdebi gdebi-core gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop
  gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0
  gir1.2-vte-2.90 gksu gnome-icon-theme libcairo-gobject2 libcolord1 libcroco3
  libdconf0 libgconf-2-4 libgconf2-4 libgirepository-1.0-1 libgksu2-0
  libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin
  libgtk-3-common libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common liblcms2-2 librsvg2-2
  librsvg2-common libsqlite3-0 libvte-2.90-9 libvte-2.90-common python
  python-apt python-apt-common python-chardet python-debian python-gi
  python-minimal python2.7 python2.7-minimal
0 upgraded, 47 newly installed, 0 to remove and 32 not upgraded.
Need to get 27.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 77.7 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
Toni
saintless

#146 Post by saintless »

New RemasterCow (Create module from changes) script uploaded:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/source-co ... ow-new.zip
Just replace /opt/bin/remastercow with the one from the archive.
More information here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 214#773214

Toni
Sylvander

#147 Post by Sylvander »

1. I'm new to DebianDog.
Typing this from it, on a destop PC new in 2012, 8GB RAM, mobo=ASRock H61M-S.
Burned DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-Beta.iso to a CD-RW, booted it, made the Porteus-in-RAM boot choice, and got to the desktop OK.

2. I'm looking for an OS [probably a Puppy, but...] to make a banking optical disk [multi-session DVD-RW?]
DebianDog looks like a good candidate for that and more.
e.g. Crisp appearance, good color, not too complex/bloated, light and FAST.

3. So it "just connects" to the web, and Dillo seems OK so far .
[p.s. Xfe is my file explorer of choice].

4. I need WINE in operation because my "Acerose Password Vault" [a Windows portable program] is a must-have [It holds ALL of my MANY vault entries].
Succeeded in using SFS-Loader to load /media/sda5/wine-1.5.4-i486.sfs, and used a terminal window to attempt to run it, but got the warning that WINE could not be run because Libwine.so.1 could not be found.
So how should I install the necessary [what?] so it will be found and WINE succeed in running?

4. Apparently succeeded in using "Make Save File" to do just that, but I placed "/media/sda5/05-DebianDog/changes.dat"; is that right or wrong?
Do I have it in an unsuitable location?

5. Stuff I was reading suggested I ned to make some config setting in a file so that the changes.dat save file will be used at each boot, but not sure how or where or if.
So far it's not being used.

So near [to success] and yet so far.

6. Instructions anyone?
saintless

#148 Post by saintless »

Hi, Sylvander.
2. I'm looking for an OS [probably a Puppy, but...] to make a banking optical disk [multi-session DVD-RW?]
If you need to save session on CD/DVD it is not possible in DebianDog. I try to make puppy initrd to work with standard debian kernel but not much hope so far. Too complicated for me yet.
3. So it "just connects" to the web, and Dillo seems OK so far .

Just download and install with Right click -> Install/Upgrade in XFE this Firefox deb package:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 0_i386.deb

4. I need WINE in operation because my "Acerose Password Vault" [a Windows portable program] is a must-have [It holds ALL of my MANY vault entries].

Dont try to fix this if puppy sfs wine does not work. Just type in terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install wine
4. Apparently succeeded in using "Make Save File" to do just that, but I placed "/media/sda5/05-DebianDog/changes.dat"; is that right or wrong?
Do I have it in an unsuitable location?
From the CD there is no boot menu to use save file. If you prefer to boot from CD you need to change /isolinux/live.conf, rebuild the iso and burn the cd again. If you use DebianDog-installer to make frugal install on USB or HDD it will autogenerate menu entry with save file boot. Here is information about save file options for frugal install for porteus-boot
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 054#774456

To make the things easier for your test I suggest something else since you have 8Gb RAM. Install Wine with apt-get command example above and Firefox from the deb package. Then configure it to your needs and before shutdown run System -> RemasterCow to create separate module (sfs) with the changes on your hard drive. Then reboot again from the CD and load this sfs module with right click in XFE - Scripts -> SFS-load
If you like the result ask further for anything you like to know.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Tue 06 May 2014, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvander

#149 Post by Sylvander »

OK...
Followed your instructions to...
1. Install Firefox-portable.
I see no Firefox entry in the JWM menus, so I used the firefox command in xterm.
How to get an entry in the menus?
Firefox ran OK.
Went to "Help->About Firefox", and it said it was updating Firefox, and I've just now clicked "Restart to update", but so far no restart!
Xterm says "(firefox:15615): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Failed to execute child process "update-desktop-database" (No such file or directory)".
I'll use xterm to run it once more.
OK, it has updated from 28.0 to 29.0.
What do I need to do to have it show in the menus?
I used the Firefox dialog to make it the default browser, yet Dillo opens when I click the WWW icon on the desktop.
I'm trying to use "Default Apps Chooser" to change from Dillo to Firefox, but don't know what and how.
OK, I think I've done it; told it to use /opt/bin/firefox , but nothing runs if I click the WWW icon or the "WWW Browser" menu entry.

2. Used your commands to update then install WINE.
My goodness, those operations were FAST! I LOVE THIS!

3. Now to use RemasterCow to make the SFS, save it, reboot, load it, and report here on how it all went.
Or perhaps I aught to first wait for instructions, and get all glitches fixed.
saintless

#150 Post by saintless »

Hi, Sylvander.
I thought you just need a quick test to see how DebianDog works but you like to setup all as you need first I guess. It is better to use frugal install for this on USB or HDD or if you like to keep running CD from RAM only you need to edit /isolinux/live.cfg inside the iso adding persistent to these lines:

label DebianDog LB-2x in RAM
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live persistent toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

label DebianDog LB-2x 
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live config persistent swapon noprompt quickreboot autologin
then use to boot only DebianDog LB-2x in RAM or DebianDog LB-2x (from CD).
Rename your changes.dat file to live-rw (or create new one named live-rw, or extract this archive with 1Gb live-rw save file: http://smokey01.com/saintless/1gb-example-save-file.zip and place it on top of any vfat or ext partition. The CD will use this save file on every boot saving all changes.
I'm sure later Fred will explain much better than I can how to do the same for porteus-boot running from CD and saving changes on HDD.
I think we will give persistent option for CD in the next version as default.

Now back to your questions:
Sylvander wrote:I see no Firefox entry in the JWM menus, so I used the firefox command in xterm.
How to get an entry in the menus?
Run System -> Menu Puppy and Network -> Firefox menu entry will show up. This will be automated.
Xterm says "(firefox:15615): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Failed to execute child process "update-desktop-database" (No such file or directory)".
I'm not sure about this error. This is portable Firefox package made from Fred. You can install Iceweasel with:

apt-get install iceweasel
It is almost the same as firefox.
I'm trying to use "Default Apps Chooser" to change from Dillo to Firefox, but don't know what and how.
You need to change it manually. Look here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 216#773216
Type default_web-browser in Make new default type field and then chose /opt/bin/firefox and Apply. If you see the change below it is done. You need to do the same for the default_web-browser.icon
Use Restart WM from shutdown menu.

BTW Openbox/Xfce version has Firefox installed as default web browser.

Toni
Sylvander

#151 Post by Sylvander »

Followed your instructions:
1. Made the coding changes to a copy of /isolinux/live.cfg taken from the mounted sr0.
I hope Fred will give me further instructions regarding Porteus settings.
I'll later [use Iso Master to] swap in this copy [once the Porteus changes have also been added] to replace the present version in the ISO.
I assume these settings given by you will only apply [take effect] if/when I choose to boot "LB-2x in RAM" or "LB-2x" AND I've also made a save file named "live-rw"?
But where must/should the save file be located?
Are there rules for that?
Can I have 2 save files?
One named "changes.dat" and the other "live-rw"?
And would the appropriate one be used when I boot into either of the 2 above OR the 2 Porteus boot choices?

2. There's now a JWM->Network->Firefox menu entry, and it works.
But the WWW icon [although it now has a Firefox icon] doesn't work, although all looks OK.
[If something wasn't right I'm probably not good enough to spot it]
saintless

#152 Post by saintless »

I assume these settings given by you will only apply [take effect] if/when I choose to boot "LB-2x in RAM" or "LB-2x" AND I've also made a save file named "live-rw"?
But where must/should the save file be located?
If there is live-rw on top of any partition it will be used. If there is no live-rw the system boots without saving session. Yes, it is only for "LB-2x in RAM" or "LB-2x". This is the only option I know to boot from CD and to search for save file on top of any partition. If you make frugal install you can point different name and location of /live folder and save file but with CD boot you can't change the menu options on boot. You will need to specify special path to different save file inside live.cfg for CD boot.
Can I have 2 save files?
One named "changes.dat" and the other "live-rw"?
And would the appropriate one be used when I boot into either of the 2 above OR the 2 Porteus boot choices?
Yes, by default LB-2x will use live-rw and ignore changes.dat and porteus-boot will use changes.dat and ignore live-rw (for porteus boot you must type the save file name and it can be changed to different).
I just don't know how to boot from CD with porteus-boot and to make it search for changes.dat without specifying the exact location. I guess this will do the job for porteus-boot the same way as LB-2x (searching on top of any partition for changes,.dat) but I will test this tomorrow to confirm:

label DebianDog Porteus
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz from=/ noauto changes=/changes.dat
If you are planning to use only CD boot I suggest to add one more entry for LB-2x without persistent to have option to boot without save file from CD while you have live-rw save file on your hard drive.

label DebianDog LB-2x RAM NoSave
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live toram=01-filesystem.squashfs
2. There's now a JWM->Network->Firefox menu entry, and it works.
But the WWW icon [although it now has a Firefox icon] doesn't work, although all looks OK.
Thanks. There is a problem at least with firefox portable package and default_web-browser link. It gives error message from terminal "can't find ./firefox". I will look at this.

Toni
saintless

#153 Post by saintless »

Sylvander wrote:2. There's now a JWM->Network->Firefox menu entry, and it works.
New version updated to Firefox-29 from Fred. The www-icon problem should be fixed here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 0_i386.deb
Sylvander

#154 Post by Sylvander »

1. Installed firefox-portable_29.0.0.0_i386.deb...
The WWW icon on desktop now runs Firefox.

2. What does "on top of any partition" mean?
Does it mean "anywhere on the partition"?
Like, it could be several folders deep?
Or must it be "at the top" [in the root folder] of the partition?

3. Code in live.cfg copy is now:

label DebianDog LB-3x in RAM
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

label DebianDog LB-3x 
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config swapon noeject quickreboot autologin

kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live persistent toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

kernel /live/vmlinuz1

label DebianDog LB-2x
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live config persistent swapon noprompt quickreboot autologin

label DebianDog Porteus in RAM
kernel /live/vmlinuz1

label DebianDog Porteus in RAM NoSave
kernel /live/vmlinuz1

label DebianDog Porteus
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
4. Do I look good to go?
Only problem is...
All this time, I've been running "Porteus in RAM" mode. [Running continuously with no reboot]
If I use RemasterCow to make an SFS file...
Can that be loaded no matter which mode I boot?
And would it then be possible to incorporate all changes [including the SFS] into a new/updated ISO?
And be able to boot the new CD-RW made using that new/updated ISO, as an online banking CD?
saintless

#155 Post by saintless »

Hi, Sylvander.
Sylvander wrote:2. What does "on top of any partition" mean?
Does it mean "anywhere on the partition"?
Like, it could be several folders deep?
Or must it be "at the top" [in the root folder] of the partition?
Yes, "at the top" [in the root folder] of the partition. It will not search deep. Here is the answer from Fred how to use save file in folder but you need to specify the folder name:
http://ns1.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... 94d#775787
3. Code in live.cfg copy is now:

kernel /live/vmlinuz1

label DebianDog Porteus
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
Both will save changes. Remove changes=/changes.dat if you don't want to use save file with these codes.

Are you going to use all boot methods? I suggest to remove initrd.img from /live . It is for LB-3 and most likely you will never use it. Leave only initrd1.img and initrd1.xz in /live and use this code:

label LB-2x RAM Save
kernel /live/vmlinuz1

label LB-2x CD Save
kernel /live/vmlinuz1

label LB-2x RAM No-Save
kernel /live/vmlinuz1

label Porteus RAM Save
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/changes.dat

label Porteus CD Save
kernel /live/vmlinuz1

label Porteus No-Save
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz from=/ nomagic base_only norootcopy
Only problem is...
All this time, I've been running "Porteus in RAM" mode. [Running continuously with no reboot]
If I use RemasterCow to make an SFS file...
Can that be loaded no matter which mode I boot?
Yes, but use updated RemasterCow with the new version (it is in the archive in the the link I will point in the next answer).
Read here about RemasterCow and what Dpkg registration means before deciding what is best for you:
http://ns1.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... 94d#773214
And would it then be possible to incorporate all changes [including the SFS] into a new/updated ISO?
And be able to boot the new CD-RW made using that new/updated ISO, as an online banking CD?
From your questions I think this will be best for you instead using RemasterCow. But if you like to keep both methods working (LB-2x and porteus-boot) boot with porteus-boot (it is important to use porteus-boot for this first remaster if you like to keep both methods working) and replace the files in /opt/bin and /etc with these from the archive (they are updated to boot with both methods:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... ods.tar.gz
Then use System -> RemasterDog to create new full remaster of the system with all changes to the moment. It will create new 01-filesystem.squashfs module. Just replace the old one in /live with the new one.
Once you create this new module from porteus boot (including the files from the archive for /opt/bin and /etc) you can remove 021-apps-porteus.squashfs from /live/base and build new CD with your new 01-filesystem.squashfs. Now all will work for both boot methods. This will be changed the same way for next DebianDog version.
Use RemasterDog any time you like to make full remaster. It will include all the changes including loaded at the moment sfs file and save file in use.
Read here about RemasterDog:
http://ns1.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... 94d#773212

Note DebianDog has Firehol firewall included but it is not active by default. You need to configure it manually or to install different firewall.

But I think it will be much easier for you to choose one boot method after testing and to rebuild the iso only with one initrd file and save file options for the chosen method.

Toni
Sylvander

#156 Post by Sylvander »

WOW, that's some list of stuff to do.
Some I think I managed, as follows:

DONE:
1. Downloaded "both-boot-methods.tar.gz" and replace [within the running DebianDog filesystem] ONLY the existing files that match the new versions.
i.e. Replaced existing with new.
The new RemasterCow was one of the files included here, but I'd previously replaced the old with the new [as explained below], so didn't repeat this.

2. I used http://smokey01.com/saintless/source-code/remastercow-new.zip to replace the old with the new.

3. "Are you going to use all boot methods?"
I'll use "Porteus in RAM" when I need to make changes, then remaster [using RemasterDog], then when changes no longer needed use "Porteus in RAM NoSave".

4. "I suggest to remove initrd.img from /live"
Where is this ../live folder?
Within the running filesystem, I see multiple /live folders in various locations.
But...
Pfind can find neither initrd.img, initrd1.img, nor initrd1.xz in the filesystem of the running DebianDog.

5. Here are the present contents of the copy version of live.cfg:

label DebianDog LB-3x in RAM
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

label DebianDog LB-3x 
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config swapon noeject quickreboot autologin

kernel /live/vmlinuz1

kernel /live/vmlinuz1

label DebianDog LB-2x
kernel /live/vmlinuz1

label DebianDog Porteus in RAM
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz from=/ noauto changes=/media/sda5/05-DebianDog/changes.dat

kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz from=/ noauto

label DebianDog Porteus
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
Is the folder holding "/media/sda5/05-DebianDog/changes.dat" too deep?
Have I specified this OK?
The folder holding the file is in the root of the partition, so I'd have thought it to be OK.

6. I'll only use RemasterDog when the presently running DebianDog has been tweaked to my satisfaction.
e.g. I notice when typing these replies, when I type " I get @ and vice versa, so I guess the OS is configured to use a US keyboard when it needs to be set for my UK keyboard.
I'm looking at "Add Keyboard Layout" but cannot find one suitable.
Mine = Compaq model number: KB - 0133.
Counting the keys I see: 105 keys + 8 small buttons up top.
Aught I to use "Generic-105 key"?
Or is there somewhere a setting for keyboard language?
saintless

#157 Post by saintless »

Sylvander wrote:WOW, that's some list of stuff to do.
Every boot method makes system structure changes. For example the boot partition is as follows:
LB-3x = /lib/live/mount/medium
LB-2x = /live/image
Porteus-boot = /mnt/home
Some programs depend on this structure changes to work. If you want all to work after remaster from one boot method for all boot methods it is complicated at this stage. Also you like to boot from CD only and to use multiple save and searching for save files deep in directory tree for every partition and all this without option to edit the boot code before booting.
I'll use "Porteus in RAM" when I need to make changes, then remaster [using RemasterDog], then when changes no longer needed use "Porteus in RAM NoSave".
Great! Forget all I wrote then.
1. Open the iso with isomaster and remove /live/initrd.img and /live/initrd1.img

2. Change /isolinux/live.cfg this way (remove # lines):

#This will search for /changes.dat file at root of every HDD or USB drive partition.
label Porteus RAM Save /
kernel /live/vmlinuz1

#This will search for save file changes.dat inside directory /05-DebianDog at root of every HDD and USB drive partition.
label Porteus RAM Save /05-DebianDog/changes.dat 
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz from=/ noauto copy2ram  changes=/05-DebianDog/changes.dat 

#This will boot in RAM without searching for save file anywhere. If there is save file it will not be used.
label Porteus RAM No-Save
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram
Boot with save file if you like to make remaster after few reboots or without save file if you like to remster before next reboot.
Change this RemasterCow (which is better) or leave the old one as it is. Both work.
http://smokey01.com/saintless/source-co ... ow-new.zip
After using RemasterDog open again the iso and replace /live/01.filesystem.squashfs with the new one.
Remove (or leave it there but it is not needed anymore) /live/base/021-apps-porteus.squashfs
Rebuild the iso with isomaster and burn it to RW CD.

If you decide to use bootable flash drive instead CD it will be much easier since you can edit and replace files without need of isomaster and burning software.
Or is there somewhere a setting for keyboard language?
It is Debian and anything specific can be found in google by searching "debian description-of-the-problem"
Keyboard-Layout is the tool to add UK layout. It simply runs in terminal:

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
This is the Debian way of setting keyboard layout. I doubt something about UK is missing but if it does only googeling for debian similar problem will help.

Toni
Ether

#158 Post by Ether »

FWIW:

I've been using DebianDog on a Dell Dimension E310 and everything has been working pretty smoothly.

Yesterday I installed it on an HP Pavilion a600n and the (wired ethernet) internet does not work. Booting Lupu528 on the same machine works fine.

Just thought I'd report that. Is there any data you'd like me to gather and post?

saintless

#159 Post by saintless »

Hi, Ether.

It will be easier to follow this problem in the development thread. Write your next post on this subject there:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... s.squashfs
I suggest using fresh frugal DebianDog install without any save file or separate sfs loaded (especially sfs made with old RemasterCow included in the iso).
Then try to reboot with this firmware from Porteus inside /live directory:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... s.squashfs
If there is no connection try installing firmware-linux-nonfree package from here (download it now and install it with right click Install/Upgrade in XFE on the machine with network problem):
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/no ... .1_all.deb
If the problem is not fixed we will continue the discussion in the development thread. I will look at Lupu 528 firmware if we can take something from there to work on your HP.

Toni
Sylvander

#160 Post by Sylvander »

1. 1. Open the iso with isomaster and remove /live/initrd.img and /live/initrd1.img
Done.

2.2. Change /isolinux/live.cfg this way:
I wasn't clear on exactly what you meant here.
When you said "change [the file contents] this way"...
Did you mean "replace all existing code content with only these lines of code"? [This is what I did]
Or...
"Replace all Porteus settings with these, and leave all other code in place". [I didn't do this]

3. (remove # lines)
I thought/think placing a # as the 1st character in a line got the line ignored.
Hence, no need to remove/delete it.
Am I wrong? Aught I to have deleted those lines?
Here's the present content of my live.cfg file:

#This will search for /changes.dat file at root of every HDD or USB drive partition.
label Porteus RAM Save /
kernel /live/vmlinuz1

#This will search for save file changes.dat inside directory /05-DebianDog at root of every HDD and USB drive partition.
label Porteus RAM Save /05-DebianDog/changes.dat
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz from=/ noauto copy2ram  changes=/05-DebianDog/changes.dat

#This will boot in RAM without searching for save file anywhere. If there is save file it will not be used.
label Porteus RAM No-Save
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram
The changed file has been added back into the ISO to replace the old copy and the new ISO named "DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-beta_custom.iso".

4. I used

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
and it seemed I was able to configure for English UK, and various other settings, but so far I see no change to the operation of the keyboard.
Do I need to restartX for the changes to take effect, or what?

5. Used the command:

/sbin/firehol helpme >/tmp/firehol.conf
Which should have done the necessary, but so far I see no sign of the firewall running.
Please advise.

6. Will now go run RemasterDog then report back..
Reading THIS POST...
I need to make a newly remastered ISO file and also make a new CD-RW from that new ISO.
Will that be done?
I'm going to be forced to close all running program windows.
Here goes!

7. OK, /media/sda6/01-remaster.squashfs has been made.
Instructions HERE say:
"Then just replace old /live/01.filesystem.squashfs with your new build 01-filesystem.squashfs from the top of the ext partition.
Is the "old /live/01.filesystem.squashfs" inside the ISO file?
And do I use "ISO Master" to do the replacement?
I didn't know how to delete things like the Firefox history from the files in 01-remaster folder prior to making 01-remaster.squashfs.