Dud

hplip - missing python-devel

#1561 Post by Dud »

Tahr 6.0.5
New printer requires hplip-3.16.11
Not in ariel's resource which saved me before - thanks ariel

Attempting to use HP's own self extracting archive but:
Missing REQUIRED dependency: python-devel

Not in ppm or Ubuntu and I don't want to install whole of python for a printer driver so: Which repositories are likely to have a compatible copy (and dependencies)?

Tia, Cheerio.

bigpup

#1562 Post by bigpup »

Here is somebody that has made several pets for hplip.
Maybe send them a PM request to make one for this version of hplip.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108570
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

#1563 Post by 666philb »

Korst wrote:I tried to install 6.0.5 on a Dell Latitude D800. I need the nvidia 96.43.23 driver but cannot get it installed. I ran the updates, downloaded and installed getnvidia, devx and every package that has "cuda" "glx" "opencl" or "nvidia" in the name, but I keep getting an error "find /etc/OpenCL failed" or something similar. I found the same error mentioned in this thread but no solution. What am I doing wrong? Or maybe a link to the precompiled driver for noPAE?
hi Korst, try creating the directory /etc/OpenCL
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#1564 Post by 666philb »

tahrpup-6.0.6 iso uploaded.

this fixes the few problems reported with 6.0.5.3 and updates quickpet.

i'll leave this in testing for a few days and if all's well, i'll move it the tahr repo and update the first post

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/tahrpup/
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

musher0

#1565 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, 666philb!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Sailor Enceladus

#1566 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Thanks, 666philb! Working good here too. :)

tlchost

#1567 Post by tlchost »

666philb wrote:tahrpup-6.0.6 iso uploaded.
getlibreoffice reports it will not work on a bootable usb with 16 gig of memory...it used to work with tahr6.0.5

It seems quickpet has numerous bad links....
The requested URL /ibiblio/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/ was not found on this server.

will test it on the new desktop to see if it recognizes the ethernet, wireless and audio chips.

Puppyt

#1568 Post by Puppyt »

Thanks 666philb - Very Timely - just last night I scorched my long-standing TahrPup6.0.5 save folder setup by installing ATI debs that I really should have known better not to (AMDGPU for my T60 radeon mobility X1400) to improve my multiple monitors working... and did unforgivable mischief to my Xorg configuration. Maybe I can morph a fresh install... but that is for another Thread of Shame - reckon I'll just fresh install from scratch and use save files instead, so that I can more "easily" scrape back the results of brainfart experiments. Cheers for the update :)
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

bigpup

#1569 Post by bigpup »

tahrpup-6.0.6 iso uploaded.

this fixes the few problems reported with 6.0.5.3 and updates quickpet.
So, Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup updates will not update 6.0.5.3 to 6.0.6?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

backi

#1570 Post by backi »

So, Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup updates will not update 6.0.5.3 to 6.0.6?
This Question is not answered till now ...........me i am curious too .

Sailor Enceladus

#1571 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

On the "This is your first time running Tahrpup" screen, the "I need help!" button tries to open a light html reader but the help page remains blank. Clicking on the "Help" icon on the desktop opens the page successfully though but in Pale Moon instead.

prehistoric

#1572 Post by prehistoric »

Once again I'm trying to get an answer to a question about blacklisting the nouveau module on the kernel line of the grub entry for Tahrpup64-6.0.6, so I can install the proprietary nvidia driver.

Editing the .conf file is not the answer when the module is loaded in the initrd.

Sailor Enceladus

#1573 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@prehistoric: Have you tried this? http://slacko.eezy.xyz/notes.php (under "Known Issues")

prehistoric

#1574 Post by prehistoric »

Just tried kernel boot parameter "nouveau.modeset=0". This stops nouveau from working, but does not stop the module from loading, which upsets the nvidia .run script needed to compile the proprietary nvidia driver.

Added: I was able to compile the new module by telling it to ignore warnings about conflicting .so files, but still can't run it unless I can get rid of the nouveau module in the initrd.gz. This is why I need to blacklist nouveau as a kernel boot parameter. The alternative is to rebuild the initrd without nouveau, and I would rather avoid that.

Billtoo

tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

#1575 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to hard drive:

System: Host: puppypc32272 Kernel: 3.14.79 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.6 Distro: tahrpup 6.0.6
Machine: Device: desktop System: Compaq Presario 061 product: DQ182A-ABA S6700NX NA410 v: 0nB1411RE101COBRA10 serial: MXM41001K5
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Cobra v: 1.xx serial: X312345678
BIOS: American Megatrends v: 3.28 date: 08/27/2004
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-HT-) speed: 2800 MHz (max)
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV530 [Radeon X1600 PRO]
Display Server: X.org 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 152x42 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter driver: 8139too
Drives: HDD Total Size: 456.1GB (2.0% used)
Weather: Conditions: 30 F (-1 C) - Mostly Cloudy Time: February 8, 12:29 PM EST
Info: Processes: 119 Uptime: 16 min Memory: 107.9/1511.1MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

I installed some kde games with PPM and compiled a couple of applications, Redshift and Gkrellm.

No problems so far, will continue testing.

Thanks.

Edit: I added Mplayer,Smplayer,and Google-Earth.
Kodi wouldn't download from Quickpet.

It's working well apart from Kodi not being available.
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
(57.32 KiB) Downloaded 1614 times
Screenshot.jpg
(39.82 KiB) Downloaded 1745 times

gyro

#1576 Post by gyro »

prehistoric wrote:This is why I need to blacklist nouveau as a kernel boot parameter. The alternative is to rebuild the initrd without nouveau, and I would rather avoid that.
You could try creating a ydrv that contains just an edited "/etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG", with "nouveau " added to the SKIPLIST.

Also editing "initrd.gz" is not really a big problem if you have support scripts to unpack it and repack it. I believe there are scripts to do that somewhere in this forum. Unfortunately I don't know what they are, (I use my own scripts to manipuate initrd.gz).

BUT, modules are not loaded in "init", but rather in "rc.sysinit". By this time the whole aufs stack is already setup and active, including the savefile/savefolder. And the contents of "initrd.gz" are forgotten. So just editing the "/etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG" in the savefolder should work.

gyro
Last edited by gyro on Fri 10 Feb 2017, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonisaac

ethernet driver

#1577 Post by sheldonisaac »

666philb (in part) wrote:tahrpup-6.0.6 iso uploaded.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/tahrpup/
Thank you!

There was no wired Ethernet.

I managed to get it by copying the e1000e.ko from the directory in the 6.0.5 tahr to /lib/
zdrv_tahr_6.0.5.3.sfs/lib/modules//3.14.79/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/
Is that the best way to do it?
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

prehistoric

#1578 Post by prehistoric »

gyro wrote:...You could try creating a ydrv that contains just an edited "/etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG", with "nouveau " added to the SKIPLIST.

Also editing "initrd.gz" is not really a big problem if you have support scripts to unpack it and repack it. I believe there are scripts to do that somewhere in this forum. Unfortunately I don't know what they are, (I use my own scripts to manipuate initrd.gz).

BUT, modules are not loaded in "init", but rather in "rc.sysinit". By this time the whole aufs stack is already setup and active, including the savefile/savefolder. And the contents of "initrd.gz" are forgotten. So just editing the "/etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG" in the savefolder should work.

gyro
We are getting closer, but not quite there yet.

For others reading this I will remind people that the otherwise working Tahrpup 6.0.6 with nvidia's proprietary driver does not currently recognize the keyboard. This makes editing files while running it a problem. I am currently using Super Lupu 2 to edit files, when I can't simply use the mouse to cut and paste, after I get the mouse working.

Also, when viewed from a different system, there is no /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG in the save folder. You have to copy that file from the system sfs file, then edit it to insert nouveau in the skiplist.

Thanks to gyro I have finally stopped this beast from loading the nouveau module. Unfortunately, this did not change the mysterious behavior of the USB mouse and keyboard. Neither of them works when I first boot into the desktop. Unplugging them, and plugging them in again, brings the mouse back to life, but the keyboard remains missing in action.

As an experiment I plugged in a wireless USB keyboard and touchpad after booting Tahrpup64 6.0.6. The touchpad worked, just like the mouse, but the keyboard did not.

I've set the cursor shadow on in the nvidia control panel so I can quickly tell if the nvidia module is running. It is. Now, when I check the loaded modules I no longer see nouveau.

The problem I am getting when I try to use the configuration and kernel module created by the nvidia .run script seems to be that it does not connect the keyboard to the X server. I'll admit I don't see what has gone wrong. I'm now wondering what else that script changed.

When I get more reliable Internet back today I'll have a go at running the get-nvidia script that downloads, compiles and configures drivers.

sindi

Pale Moon browser next official version non-Puppy

#1579 Post by sindi »

Pale Moon current stable 27.03 official build was compiled with CentOS 6.5. Future versions with CentOS 7.0. The currently posted SSE version compiled with 7.0 needs newer libraries than are found even in Tahr puppy. Walter Dnes, who compiled it, is working on a version of 27.1 for Lucid-Precise-Tahr and also has support for SSE. (You can get a copy via the Pale Moon forum).

Therefore Pale Moon Updater should be changed somehow to point at his to-be-posted Puppy Linux version.

I simply download Pale Moon to its own directory, unpackage, and make a script to cd there and ./palemoon.

The problem library is libstdc++ (too old, I think).

He also provided me with a Conkeror package that can be used with Pale Moon as a base (no mouse needed, but not all sites work completely and there are no add-ons).

gyro

#1580 Post by gyro »

@prehistoric,

Have you considered that the keyboard problem might not be related to the nvidia module?

Try booting "pfix=ram,nox", and see if the keyboard works.
If it doesn't then it could be a separate problem with keyboard related modules or firmware.

Be sure to include the "ram" parameter so that no partitions are mounted when the boot is finished. If the keyboard doesn't work then you will probably have to hard reset the computer.
Unfortunately, booting "pfix=ram" means no savefolder, so you would need to use the ydrv option to make the edited MODULESCONFIG available.

gyro