ChurchPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
LaneLester

#181 Post by LaneLester »

Subito Piano wrote:You might want to install the icewm pup for Dingo if it makes life simpler. You'll find it here, courtesy our good friend ttuuxxx.
Boy, he does a lot of good work! I've installed the package; it has quite a bit more than just icewm... it'll take a while to check it all out, but I'm sure glad to have it
Some other useful links, perhaps:
Puppy 4.0 manual
I found some stuff useful in the manual before, but then I started wanting to know things that aren't there.
Pup add-ons for Dingo (i.e., Puppy 4)
MORE add-ons for Dingo (scroll to near bottom of page, includes FF3)
I'll check those out later; it's getting close to time for evening church.
OpenOffice sfs for Puppy 4.0
Great! I really wanted that, and it's now installed. It was interesting in that I already have an .sfs for OpenOffice 3.0beta, but the Boot Manager claims it's not there, even though it's with the 2.4 version which it could see. I couldn't see any difference in the files, but there must be something. They had different permissions, but fixing that didn't do anything.

Lane
LaneLester

#182 Post by LaneLester »

Jim1911 wrote:If you are interested in a Puppy that's already customized with lots of excellent applications (even has OO3 rc) check out MU's Muppy 084 final release.
Thanks, Jim! I'm downloading it now. I definitely want to get his Office.sfs with OO3 and Acrobat. But I'm afraid the whole thing is a bit bloated, e.g., SeaMonkey, Opera, and Firefox.

I'd rather get a slim Puppy and add just what I want, so it won't get so big. I understand it's not that easy to remove stuff.

Lane
Subito Piano

#183 Post by Subito Piano »

Skinny Puppy is only 53 MB - it's based on 4.0. It "might" provide a better base to build from, no guarantees tho!

Of course, if you follow Barry's blog, you realize that Puppy 4.1 is due any day now...
LaneLester

#184 Post by LaneLester »

Subito Piano wrote:Skinny Puppy is only 53 MB - it's based on 4.0. It "might" provide a better base to build from, no guarantees tho!

Of course, if you follow Barry's blog, you realize that Puppy 4.1 is due any day now...
With all these good-looking Puppies, it's great that I can pile them up in the same partition (it has lots of room).

One thing I really like about Linux in general is the easy updating of both the OS and the apps on it. For example, in Xubuntu, I'm running the alpha of the next release. A daily run of Synaptic keeps me updated. I get the impression that Puppy has no such feature. Too bad if true, but perhaps there's a way to preserve all customization for the next new release... is there?

Lane
KF6SNJ

#185 Post by KF6SNJ »

Subito Piano wrote:I LOVE k3b -- BUT idk how resource-intense it is, do you have an idea?

As far as Brasero goes, i first encountered it in antiX and found it both very intuitive and much to my liking.

Say -- we're using LW's forum to discuss ChurchPup. Ttuuxxx is a great friend to CP -- but maybe i should start a new forum for "ChurchPup2" or something like that?

Soooo...ttuuxxx, is this a good place to hold these discussions about ChurchPup? I feel like we're on NBC advertising CBS or something!! :? )

Then we will simply move the discussion to the official ChurchPup thread. I will boot the live CD this week and see what can be safely trimmed and what may be worth adding. I will report my findings later this week as well as whether or not I will be able to try my hand at this.
The only windows I have are those on my home.
KF6SNJ

#186 Post by KF6SNJ »

For some reason, there was no power in my neighborhood until a few hours ago. I will try to burn the CD after church tomorrow and set up a spare terminal to begin tinkering with this. I will say more once I have that much completed.
Subito Piano

#187 Post by Subito Piano »

Bless you, bless you!
KF6SNJ

#188 Post by KF6SNJ »

I can't make any promises yet. I am hoping that this experience will help me with my RoboPup work. Here is a partial list of what I am thinking:

Opera for default web browser

K3b for CD/DVD burning

BibleDesktop

Default Bookmarks to possibly include:

Bible Gateway

Book of Concord

Christian Ethereal Classics

Revised Common Lectionary

The point of those particular sites is simply to try to account for most expressions of the christian faith without forcing a particular view. I am open to alternatives. I am also aware of a christian discussion forum that could also be a default bookmark. I may look around and see if I can't find a reliable website regarding the "Dead Sea Scrolls" if such is deemed desirable by others.

I intend to keep the browser start page as the default start page that most derivatives have. I will likely strip out almost everything else in an attempt to cut it down a bit. I may leave a couple of simple games, but not many. I am also planning to reduce the multimedia and internet stuff. I figure that if I am going to try to do this, I want to try to make it as simple as possible. For me, that means getting rid of anything extra that can later be installed using either the package manager or else dotpet/dotpup file.

I do want thoughts and opinions on this as I have no clue yet as to what I am doing or if I can even make it work.

Any rate, time for bed. Got church in the morning.
ttuuxxx

#189 Post by ttuuxxx »

KF6SNJ wrote:I can't make any promises yet. I am hoping that this experience will help me with my RoboPup work. Here is a partial list of what I am thinking:

Opera for default web browser

K3b for CD/DVD burning

BibleDesktop

Default Bookmarks to possibly include:

Bible Gateway

Book of Concord

Christian Ethereal Classics

Revised Common Lectionary

The point of those particular sites is simply to try to account for most expressions of the christian faith without forcing a particular view. I am open to alternatives. I am also aware of a christian discussion forum that could also be a default bookmark. I may look around and see if I can't find a reliable website regarding the "Dead Sea Scrolls" if such is deemed desirable by others.

I intend to keep the browser start page as the default start page that most derivatives have. I will likely strip out almost everything else in an attempt to cut it down a bit. I may leave a couple of simple games, but not many. I am also planning to reduce the multimedia and internet stuff. I figure that if I am going to try to do this, I want to try to make it as simple as possible. For me, that means getting rid of anything extra that can later be installed using either the package manager or else dotpet/dotpup file.

I do want thoughts and opinions on this as I have no clue yet as to what I am doing or if I can even make it work.

Any rate, time for bed. Got church in the morning.
I also will be including K3B if I go with bibletime in the Next Living water release, I'm currently been working on VLC 9.2 like for 5 days lol If I ever get that going I'll be one step closer to the next release of Living Water.
ChurchPup is usually the large version and Living Water the small version, my goal is to keep it under 225MB but, I already have K3b packaged up, Also I'll have 2 versions, Opera and Firefox 2.17
but the thing is I might have 1 crazy version kind of like my FH Inferno, where I have all 3 main bible apps, Open Office, Firefox, Opera, Java, Flash, K3b, Icewm with new themes that I made up, VLC, Mplayer,Plus maybe 5 or so Java applications. Once I finish my initial base. Then the rest should be quick. We might not need another ChurchPup, I mean well sure go ahead if you want. But I'm all steam ahead already on Living Water and its will be almost identical to Churchpup plus a few extra church applications included. The only thing I won't put in is wine and so not MS applications.

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)
KF6SNJ

#190 Post by KF6SNJ »

I am not going to include open office. Just abiword and abs.spreadsheet. I will likely include java, but not flash, especially since I am planning using the most recent version of opera and making it the default.

Of course we all know that this could just blow in my face and fail. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Subito Piano

#191 Post by Subito Piano »

Go for it as you see fit! I suggest if you haven't already, think of your target audience. Possibly that means add what you yourself like and if others agree, great, if not -- oh well!

If you are thinking of ministry use i would vouch for adding audacity as many churches use that already. Some sort of PowerPoint viewer would also be handy for ministry use, but idk how big that would make it.

I am concerned about the few people actively participating in this forum, tho' -- it wouldn't be worth your time if only a handful of people ever download and use the finished project.....maybe we need to make some noise somehow???
Jim1911

#192 Post by Jim1911 »

ttuuxxx
but the thing is I might have 1 crazy version kind of like my FH Inferno, where I have all 3 main bible apps, Open Office, Firefox, Opera, Java, Flash, K3b, Icewm with new themes that I made up, VLC, Mplayer,Plus maybe 5 or so Java applications.
I vote for this new distribution which provides flexiblity and lots of useful applications. Hopefully it will be based on the new 4.1 release that will be out soon.

Thanks for your fine contributions,
Jim
Subito Piano

#193 Post by Subito Piano »

Welcome Jim!

You quoted ttuxxx's message regarding the next LW release. Were you leaving a comment for Living Water or for ChruchPup?

This of course is the ChurchPup forum; the latest Living Water forum is here

Don't misunderstand me -- your input is not only welcome but very much wanted!! Also note that there's no competition between these two puplets, they are simply two different approaches, and ttuxxx SURE has been a great help here at CP.
Last edited by Subito Piano on Mon 29 Sep 2008, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
Jim1911

#194 Post by Jim1911 »

Subito Piano,

I took ttuuxxx's comment to be appropriate to a proposed new Churchpup as well as his ideas for a new Living Water update/replacement.

My opinion is that any new releases should be based on the latest Puppy base and the best available linux bibical resources. I'm looking forward to seeing updates in both.

Jim
KF6SNJ

#195 Post by KF6SNJ »

I am looking very carefully at 4.2 though I am somewhat skeptical. I was thinking of staying within the 3.01 base that ChurchPup already has. However, there are some things in LW that I may try to cross over to ChurchPup. Not the least of which is ttuuxxx tv. I think that is just one of the greatest things I've seen on Puppy to date.

My concern will be trying to cut out a lot of those things that can be added later via a dotpup or dotpet file if desired and yet create something is distinctly different from LW. To this end, I have to start making a careful list of what is absolutely essential for a christian version of puppy and yet is just different enough from LW to not be a clone.

To this end. I do welcome some friendly input and opinions. I have been reading the puppy 5.0 thread and I seem some thoughts I may consider implementing. One step at a time....
KF6SNJ

#196 Post by KF6SNJ »

I agree that something to effect of imposter or impress would be useful. Likely I will use one of them. I am thinking of including xmms and streamtuner and I will take a look at audacity as well, though I don't want to bloat this. I am going to take a close look at LW today and see if there is a way to extract ttuxxx tv so that I can include it in ChurchPup.

As to what version of Puppy, I am thinking of downloading one of the 4.0 versions and making that my base. This way it will be compatable with some of the newer dotpet files. I will keep everyone posted.
Subito Piano

#197 Post by Subito Piano »

As i play with Puppy to configure it to my liking, one thing becomes clear: certain dotpups are a snap to install in 4.0 and others are nearly nightmares. Audacity wasn't easy needing something like five other packages, and configuring Conky was another pain....

...so i am thinking that you might want to consider this when you put ChurchPup together. If a certain program is an easy add-on for users, then leave it out if you aren't sure you want to include it -- i can add links to these extra dotpups on the ChurchPup site or something. However, if a certain program you are considering has a lot of unmet dependencies or is difficult for the everyday user to configure, that would weigh heavily in favor of including it rather than leaving it out.
KF6SNJ

#198 Post by KF6SNJ »

Understood. It can be a pain sometimes to have find dependency files. Hopefully it won't be a huge issue with the 4.1 series that I am going to use as my base. To this end, I am mostly only going to add those thing that the package managers can't. I plan on compiling Opera from the tgz. I am also planning to install Petch as it seems like a very well created package finder and installer. I am considering having the ESV bible and Triglotta Concordia preinstalled in BibleDesktop. This is simply to make BibleDesktop more readily usable. I am also thinking of a slight name variation. That is to say calling it something like "ChurchPup - Concordia". This also means that Opera will likely have to have a preplaced bookmark for http://www.bookofconcord.org. Still, I don't think that will be an issue, especially if I also include a bookmark for Christian Ethereal Classics as well.

I welcome thoughts and ideas still.
Subito Piano

#199 Post by Subito Piano »

The ESV is a solid version and a good choice. I've tried 4.1 and like it very much (although i have a few issues, probably just with my own box). The "Concordia version" would be appropriate since you are tying it in with that website. All in all -- looks good!
KF6SNJ

#200 Post by KF6SNJ »

I am working very carefully on the list of default applications and bookmarks for ChurchPup Concordia Edition. It will be slimmed down from the standard Puppy 4.1. Here are some of the default applications that will be included:

BibleDesktop with ESV Bible and Triglotta Concordia preinstalled

Opera Web Browser with Book of Concord and Christian Ethereal Classics bookmarked

XMMS player

Streamtuner

Petch (commandline application)

AbiWord 2.6.2

Gnumeric

Ycalc

Imposter presentation player

K3b

NVU html editor

mhWave Sound Recorder Editor

I think that this will be a good base. I will also include PET-Be-Gone both for the sake of stripping down the 4.1 ISO and also for those who need something powerful to remove stubborn applications.

Any thoughts or is this a good start. I am hoping to apply some of this to RoboPup when I get back to it (I want to finish building the hardware first and I am trying to hack the wiring on a printer from a calculator). I hope that I can make this work for myself and everyone who is interested in it. I should have an alpha by the end of this week if everything goes well. Oh, I am also going to include a bookmark to the Revised Common Lectionary website. My primary target audience is liturgical christians (such as Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists....). However, I am hoping that it will also be a great resource for christians of all types.