Viz 2.15 Final updated release

News, happenings
ralphv

Re: Viz 2.15 Final updated release

#21 Post by ralphv »

ralphv wrote:I put the 215CE into the 160M computer, booted, and typed 'free'. It is using only 100636K of the RAM. Also, I am unable to remove the CD.
I understand most of the other things you said, but these are the two things I don't understand. Only 100636M, that is smaller than the size of the pup_215.sfs file. And why won't it let me eject the CD?

Ralph

iscraigh

#22 Post by iscraigh »

Okay this may seem strange but I have one of my pc's that I can only eject the CD using MUT and the software eject button. If I press the eject button on the cd it won't eject. Open mut and choose "open" by the cdrom line.

Craig

dragonfly

Re: puppy 2.15 CE Release

#23 Post by dragonfly »

WhoDo wrote:
dragonfly wrote:Hi there, this link is good for me!!

...[snip]...

It says :

Welcome dragonfly!

This folder belongs to dragonfly (View all)
Nope. It says, for me at least:
The folder you requested is not available. Either you do not have the permission to view it (try logging in) or it may have been deleted by the owner.
Hello WhoDo,
and with these direct links :

http://www.eggdisk.com/files/342301_7he ... -Final.iso
http://www.eggdisk.com/files/342302_r0g ... al.md5.txt

I've tried with .md5.txt and it works.
I hope that helps.

Philh

#24 Post by Philh »

Dragonfly
I still cant get to the files.
I tried registering but still denied.
Have you set the folder to shared rather than private?

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#25 Post by mbutts »

ive tried dragonflys link and also get denied access . i registered and cant get access to it either. strange.......
Penguin, the OTHER white meat.
[url=http://www.puppyos.com][img]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5563/yxudnslbsx1jpglx3.png[/img][/url][img]http://i18.tinypic.com/2wd7o80.gif[/img]

raffy

relax

#26 Post by raffy »

Ralph and Whodo, I guess the matter of memory requirement is better left to the idiosyncracies of the hardware itself. Some hardware may have more memory cache than others. ;)

I usually load an 85-MB Puppy and the 160-MB RAM is just right. Blame it on the idiosyncracy of my board. :)

Cheers!
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

dragonfly

password

#27 Post by dragonfly »

Philh wrote:Dragonfly
I still cant get to the files.
I tried registering but still denied.
Have you set the folder to shared rather than private?
hi Philh,

here is my private login :

http://www.eggdisk.com/login
dragonfly
vOHr5R

then click on "my files"

I hope it's good this time and that the files are gooood.

EDIT :

and I've upload these two files on my idisk. Please read the instructions below :

To access another person's Public folder, you need to know their member name and their Public folder password (if they use one to protect the folder).

To connect to someone's Public folder using a web browser:

1. Open a web browser.
IMPORTANT: To connect to someone's Public folder on the web, you must use a supported web browser. If you're using Mac OS X, use Safari 2.0.2 or later or Firefox 1.0.4 or later. If you're using Microsoft Windows, use Firefox 1.0.4 or later or Internet Explorer 6 or later.
Enter the following address to connect to the Public folder: idisk.mac.com/membername-Public (where "membername" is the other person's .Mac member name). Be sure to use an uppercase P when typing Public.
2. If a password is required, enter "public@membername" (where "membername" is the other person's .Mac member name) in the User Name field, and then enter the Public folder password in the Password field.

idisk.mac.com/pacl-Public
http://idisk.mac.com/pacl-Public?view=web

public@pacl
pl215ce

Have a good day.

Previously known as Guest

#28 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Testing a torrent, it's a folder with md5 included (8e3ea16dda19d2e21ffe1f7f3acbb975). does it work?

I'll remove soon as it seems to not work.

Deleted, can't seem to get it working trackerless.
Last edited by Previously known as Guest on Wed 11 Apr 2007, 21:46, edited 2 times in total.

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#29 Post by mbutts »

im not seeing the torrent here, previously known as guest. i used utorrent but it doesnt see it. maybe someone else can comment on it
Penguin, the OTHER white meat.
[url=http://www.puppyos.com][img]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5563/yxudnslbsx1jpglx3.png[/img][/url][img]http://i18.tinypic.com/2wd7o80.gif[/img]

ralphv

Re: Viz 2.15 Final updated release

#30 Post by ralphv »

WhoDo wrote: The proof of that is available by running Menu>Filesystem>Partview which will show the size and status of the RAM disk. For 2.15CE mine says the RAMdisk is 111Mb used with 1Mb free.
When I use partview, it doesn't show me the RAMdisk, only the hard disk and the pup save file, both on my 512M computer and on my 160M computer.
WhoDo wrote: Since my computer is also a 512Mb DDR2 RAM machine, I thought I'd do a RAM comparison to see what the system says is being used. The results from Xproc with only the Window Manager and background apps open are as follows:

Full Hard Drive Install:
Total RAM: 507660Kb
Free RAM: 367480Kb
Buffers: 2276Kb
Cached: 72588Kb
Swap: 522104Kb
Swap Free: 522104Kb

As you can see there is no swap being used. It looks like about 130Mb is being used - Puppy will add to the RAM drive if there is free RAM, and of course applications are loaded into RAM when opened.

Frugal Hard Drive Install (same as LiveCD except loaded to RAM from hdd):
Total RAM: 507660Kb
Free RAM: 259576Kb
Buffers: 16248Kb
Cached: 188828Kb
Swap: 522104Kb
Swap Free: 522104Kb

Interestingly enough, it looks as though the Frugal install (like the LiveCD) creates more buffers and cache to speed up background processes. You should look at Barry's web site for the detail behind that.

Bottom Line: Puppy 2.15CE will load entirely and run in under 128Mb RAM. It will load in and run from RAM + swap with as little as 32Mb RAM, but more slowly due to the limitation of the hard disk speed affecting swap memory calls. If you have 160Mb RAM it is unlikely that you are using swap either. Use Menu>System>Xproc to confirm.

Hope that helps
On my 160M computer, pup_215.sfs should load in completely, being only 111M, but it shows signs of loading in partly, free shows about 100M used.

Ralph

can8v

Re: password

#31 Post by can8v »

[quote="dragonflyhi Philh,

dragonfly
vOHr5R

then click on "my files"

I hope it's good this time and that the files are gooood.
[/quote]

dragonflyhi,
This is working for me. I am now downloading at the blazing speed of 7/kbs If the download is successful I will upload it to my web space on my University's server. That would make some OC-48s available.

Previously known as Guest

Re: password

#32 Post by Previously known as Guest »

dragonfly wrote:

dragonfly
vOHr5R
Good luck on how long it lasts, I've been using eggdisk for some pups & now I'm limited to 5MB file size upload.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 882#109882

kirk

#33 Post by kirk »

I don't think 2.15 would load into Ram with a 160MB. That is if 2.15 is using the same init script as 2.14. It looks like the init script checks to see if the total ram (minus any shared video) divided by two plus a couple of MBs, is more than the size of the .sfs file. If not, your running off the CD. There's some special consideration for 128MB PCs in there too. Could be wrong though, I'm no scripting wiz.

Nathan F

#34 Post by Nathan F »

Kirk is correct. If Puppy determines that it does not have enough memory to run comfortably, then it will mount pup_xxx.sfs right off the cd, leaving the disk mounted, rather than copying it to ram. I think this is what is going on in this case.

The best workaround, short of more memory or a smaller Puppy, is to copy the pup_xxx.sfs to the hard drive location where your save file resides and reboot. Puppy will load it from there, without copying it into ram. You lose the speed of running totally in ram, but it should be significantly faster than running off the cd, and leave your optical drive free.

Sorry WhoDo, but I think in this case you might be the one who doesn't fully understand how Puppy boots. Puppy normally tries to run by caching the system to ram, but that is only one of a large number of possible modes.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

WhoDo

#35 Post by WhoDo »

Nathan F wrote:Sorry WhoDo, but I think in this case you might be the one who doesn't fully understand how Puppy boots. Puppy normally tries to run by caching the system to ram, but that is only one of a large number of possible modes.
Oh, that's certainly possible - maybe even highly likely! :roll:

My understanding was that if the amount of RAM exceeded the size of the pup_2xx.sfs file + kernel, X and WM then that file would be loaded entirely into RAM. The pup_215.sfs file supplied with 2.15CE is 111Mb, much less than the available RAM, even adding the kernel, X and WM.

This is the first time I've heard of any algorithm such as kirk mentions controlling the loading of the pup_2xx.sfs file - viz "total ram (minus any shared video) divided by two plus a couple of MBs, is more than the size of the .sfs file". On that formula, even without any shared video, 160Mb / 2 = 80Mb + ? > 111Mb ... the "?" would need to be at least 32Mb, which hardly qualifies as "a couple of megabytes". Is there a hard coded size / limit on that "?" figure :?:

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

DennisF

#36 Post by DennisF »

Is this the section of the rc.sysinit where this goes on and is this what you guys are referring to? (From 2.15CE)

Code: Select all

DRVFREE=`df -m | grep '/initrd/mnt/dev_save' | tr -s " " | cut -f 4 -d " "`
    if [ "$DRVFREE" ];then
     #if [ ! "$PMEDIA" = "ideflash" ];then #pakt: prevent swapfile on ide-cf card.
      let DRVFREE=DRVFREE/2
      SWPSIZE=100 #100M
      [ $SWPSIZE -gt $DRVFREE ] && SWPSIZE=$DRVFREE #never use more than half free space.
      if [ $SWPSIZE -gt 20 ];then
       echo -n "Creating Linux swap file in /initrd/mnt/dev_save..." >/dev/console
       RETFLAG=1
       dd if=/dev/zero of=/initrd/mnt/dev_save/pupswap.swp bs=1048576 count=$SWPSIZE
       if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
        sync
        mkswap /initrd/mnt/dev_save/pupswap.swp

kirk

#37 Post by kirk »

Sorry guess that should have been minus a couple of MBs (or really plus 2MB to the sfs file). Here's a couple sections of the init script that seems to control this:

#total ram, less any shared video...
PCRAMSIZE=`free | head -n 2 | tail -n 1 | tr -s " " | cut -f 3 -d " "`
SIZEFILLK=`expr $PCRAMSIZE \ / 2` #half of ram.
#for 128M PC, have to tweak this to get pup_xxx.sfs to load into ram...
if [ $SIZEFILLK -gt 50000 ];then
#[ $SIZEFILLK -lt 70000 ] && SIZEFILLK=71680 #70M.
#[ $SIZEFILLK -lt 74752 ] && SIZEFILLK=74752 #73M. 3may06 pushing the limit here.
[ $SIZEFILLK -lt 77824 ] && SIZEFILLK=77824 #76M. 10may06 pushing the limit a bit more.
#...see below, hack this a bit more for 128M PCs.
fi
#teddog wants this, more space for loading multisession folders...
if [ $PCRAMSIZE -gt 450000 ];then #pc has 512M RAM.
QTRFILLK=`expr $PCRAMSIZE \/ 4` #quarter of ram.
SIZEFILLK=`expr $SIZEFILLK + $QTRFILLK`
fi
PHYSICALFILLK="$SIZEFILLK"

#want to know if there is a swap partition available...
SWAPSIZE=0
SWAPINFO="`fdisk -l | grep "Linux swap" | head -n 1`"
if [ ! "$SWAPINFO" = "" ];then
#we can make the ramdisk real big now...
SWAPPART="`echo "$SWAPINFO" | cut -f 1 -d " "`"
SWAPSIZE=`fdisk -s $SWAPPART`
SWAPSIZ4=`expr $SWAPSIZE \/ 4`
SWAPSIZ2=`expr $SWAPSIZE \/ 2`
SWAPSIZE=`expr $SWAPSIZ2 + $SWAPSIZ4` #3/4 of original
SIZEFILLK=`expr $SIZEFILLK + $SWAPSIZE`
echo -n "Loading swap partition $SWAPPART..." >/dev/console
swapon $SWAPPART;check_status $?
fi

##puppy is getting too fat for 128M PCs...
#if [ $SIZEFILLK -eq 77824 ];then #this exact size, see above.
# #case of 128M PC and no swap partition.
# #pup_xxx.sfs is 68M, only allow a slimmer pup to load into ram...
# SIZEFILLK=69632 #68M
#fi

And this:

loadpupsfsfunc() { #mnt pt of PDEV1 is passed parameter (normally /mnt/dev_ro1).
#mounts pup_xxx.sfs file on /pup_ro2...
#enter with PDEV1 (boot partition) already mounted (usually on /mnt/dev_ro1).
#if enough room in ramdisk, copy it...
SIZEPUPSFSK=`du ${1}/$PUPSFS | cut -f 1`
SIZEPUPSFSK=`expr $SIZEPUPSFSK + 1000` #some slack.
SIZETESTK=`expr $SIZEPUPSFSK + 1000` #more slack.
[ "$PMEDIA" = "ideflash" ] && SIZETESTK=$SIZEFILLK #do not want pup_xxx.sfs in ram.
if [ $SIZEFILLK -gt $SIZETESTK ];then
#create a separate tmpfs... (thanks to Mitch for suggestion)
echo -n "Creating tmpfs for $PUPSFS on (/initrd)/mnt/tmpfs..." >/dev/console
mount tmpfs /mnt/tmpfs -t tmpfs -o size=${SIZEPUPSFSK}k;check_status $?
echo -n "Copying $PUPSFS to tmpfs..." >/dev/console
cp -f ${1}/$PUPSFS /mnt/tmpfs/
sync
losetup /dev/loop0 /mnt/tmpfs/$PUPSFS
#do not unmount PDEV1 if mounted directly in a unionfs layer...
[ ${1} = "/mnt/dev_ro1" ] && umntfunc /mnt/dev_ro1
SIZEFILLK=`expr $SIZEFILLK - $SIZEPUPSFSK`
else
echo -n "Mntg $PUPSFS off /dev/$PDEV1..." >/dev/console
losetup /dev/loop0 ${1}/$PUPSFS
fi
echo -n " mounting on (/initrd)/pup_ro2..." >/dev/console #mntg $PUPSFS
mount -r -t squashfs -o noatime /dev/loop0 /pup_ro2;check_status $?
}

joshfan

enlightenment 16

#38 Post by joshfan »

How do you get this theme, I am still new to puppy, esp with the windows managment. i have not messed with a lot yet just surfing and email. :?

WhoDo

Re: enlightenment 16

#39 Post by WhoDo »

joshfan wrote:How do you get this theme, I am still new to puppy, esp with the windows managment. i have not messed with a lot yet just surfing and email. :?
Download from Puppy Software Installer under Window Managers.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com