Puppy stopped booting after ALL PARTITIONS DELETED

Using applications, configuring, problems
groogruxking40

#21 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:That would explain your error message. It isn't reading the disk well enough to start Puppy.

Did you also use it to burn the disk?
exactly.. so I'm not sure what to do..
could I put the iso file on a SD card and boot it that way?

Yeah I used the burner to burn the disk.. works fine on my other laptop so it's not the disc.. it's the burner

rcrsn51

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

Why not use the Universal Installer to install Puppy onto the SD card and boot off it?

groogruxking40

#23 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Why not use the Universal Installer to install Puppy onto the SD card and boot off it?
I just ripped the .iso CD and dragged its contents on the SD card.. giving it a try.

groogruxking40

#24 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
where can I get the universal installer?

It didn't work by ripping the iso and putting on the SD card.

getting this error
Could not find kernel image : linux
boot:

rcrsn51

#25 Post by rcrsn51 »

It looks like the card started to boot. Make a file on the card named syslinux.cfg that contains the following line

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash

groogruxking40

#26 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:It looks like the card started to boot. Make a file on the card named syslinux.cfg that contains the following line

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
got it to load..

now got this error

Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives.. pup-431.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...

/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
#

rcrsn51

#27 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sigh. This means that Puppy is missing the driver needed to initially detect the card reader. Do you have a flash drive to use instead?

Did you check if the file is actually on the card with the correct name?

groogruxking40

#28 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Sigh. This means that Puppy is missing the driver needed to initially detect the card reader. Do you have a flash drive to use instead?

Did you check if the file is actually on the card with the correct name?
no flash drive..
would it matter if it was in ALL CAPS?

on the card its in all CAPS

rcrsn51

#29 Post by rcrsn51 »

It needs to be spelled exactly as it was in the error message.

groogruxking40

#30 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:It needs to be spelled exactly as it was in the error message.
changed it from all caps to lowercase, still same error message

wtf?

groogruxking40

#31 Post by groogruxking40 »

so when I do a reboot I get this:

Boot error

whats the deal?

purple_ghost

Curious

#32 Post by purple_ghost »

Will the BIOS of this computer boot from a Flash drive? Do you have a Flash drive with Puppy on it. Perhaps someone here can send you one already prepared and proven usable. Where are you?

Did this computer come with any means to restore the OS originally on it? Even if it was Windows, if one can restore it, then one might find the problem with using the external burner wil go away based on something Windows has?

I am guessing you have already gone through the BIOS and made sure the "plug and play" option is enabled.

I would also guess the Burner you are trying to boot from is a much later manufacture date than the Net book. Perhaps trying another external drive might work. I am also guessing an external CD might mesh better as well.

What to try is based a bit on what you have available.

Also possible is that whatever caused the connection to start failing is a true hardware problem that is keeping the netbook from booting. ?????
Google Search of Forum: http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

groogruxking40

Re: Curious

#33 Post by groogruxking40 »

purple_ghost wrote:Will the BIOS of this computer boot from a Flash drive? Do you have a Flash drive with Puppy on it. Perhaps someone here can send you one already prepared and proven usable. Where are you?

Yes it has before, but now it won't. I have a SD card with the puppy 4.3.1 iso on it. I'm in Wisconsin

Did this computer come with any means to restore the OS originally on it? Even if it was Windows, if one can restore it, then one might find the problem with using the external burner wil go away based on something Windows has?

It came with Xandros on it.. it's an eeepc 701. don't have a live xandros cd though

I am guessing you have already gone through the BIOS and made sure the "plug and play" option is enabled.

Yes

I would also guess the Burner you are trying to boot from is a much later manufacture date than the Net book. Perhaps trying another external drive might work. I am also guessing an external CD might mesh better as well.

Its an HP burner, its a 52x, it should work just fine, it just spins and spins the cd and then times out

What to try is based a bit on what you have available.

Also possible is that whatever caused the connection to start failing is a true hardware problem that is keeping the netbook from booting. ?????

William (Dthdealer)

#34 Post by William (Dthdealer) »

Things to note:
  1. Erasing partitions of a HD is 100% recoverable. You can recover all of your information in either parted ( not gparted ) or fdisk, I have forgotten which one. Google it my friend.

All 'erasing' partitions does is remove the information telling the computer where ther partition starts and ends. Unless you have created another partition on the HD since it was cleaned then everything will be hunky dory.
  2. If you see ANY grub screen or error, your computer is booting of the HD. Puppy Linux discs AFAIK use isolinux.
  3. The grub error is coming from the MBR of the harddrive, one thing gparted won't touch. Dont worry about this, when your recover the system will work normally. The MBR ( master boot record ) is the first (64kb?) few bytes of the hardrive which the bios looks at to boot the computer. Grub then points it to the partition with the rest of Grub installed, and from there to your Linux installation.
  4. The external DVD burner is probably labelled as something other than DVD drive in the boot options. The DVD drive option there is probably a phantom, with another option with a cryptic name the external drive.
Regards, William

groogruxking40

#35 Post by groogruxking40 »

William (Dthdealer) wrote:Things to note:
  1. Erasing partitions of a HD is 100% recoverable. You can recover all of your information in either parted ( not gparted ) or fdisk, I have forgotten which one. Google it my friend.

All 'erasing' partitions does is remove the information telling the computer where ther partition starts and ends. Unless you have created another partition on the HD since it was cleaned then everything will be hunky dory.
  2. If you see ANY grub screen or error, your computer is booting of the HD. Puppy Linux discs AFAIK use isolinux.
  3. The grub error is coming from the MBR of the harddrive, one thing gparted won't touch. Dont worry about this, when your recover the system will work normally. The MBR ( master boot record ) is the first (64kb?) few bytes of the hardrive which the bios looks at to boot the computer. Grub then points it to the partition with the rest of Grub installed, and from there to your Linux installation.
  4. The external DVD burner is probably labelled as something other than DVD drive in the boot options. The DVD drive option there is probably a phantom, with another option with a cryptic name the external drive.
Regards, William
took all things considered..

made the Cardreader boot priority number 1
made the dvd burner boot priority number 2
disabled the hard drive

still getting this error

Boot error

Im about to disown puppy forever unless someone can help me

rcrsn51

#36 Post by rcrsn51 »

Does your other computer have Windows? If so, get UNetbootin and use it to install Puppy onto the SD card.

groogruxking40

#37 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Does your other computer have Windows? If so, get UNetbootin and use it to install Puppy onto the SD card.
I sure do. so just erase everything on the SD card now and use UNetbootin to install it? or will it replace everything on the card?

rcrsn51

#38 Post by rcrsn51 »

Yoda wrote:Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

groogruxking40

#39 Post by groogruxking40 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
doing it now.. Ill let you know how it goes

groogruxking40

ERROR MESSAGE

#40 Post by groogruxking40 »

OK
installed puppy on the SD card using UNetbootin

got this error:

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
boot: