EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

#2161 Post by BarryK »

Easy 2.2.3 is released, English only.

It is for testing Bluetooth audio,
and hot-plugging Bluetooth dongle.

If you would like to test either of those, please do!

And for scsijon, the 5.4.10 kernel.

Blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202001/easyos-v ... eased.html
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Terry H

#2162 Post by Terry H »

Barry, Thanks for update, burt for me still not bluetooth sound.

Manual upgrade of Easy 2.2 to 2.2.3 on Patriot 16GB USB Flash Drive for testing fo bluetooth sound. After initial setup Bluetoothd is not running at startup now. On reboot it still isn't running. I started bluetoothd ('bluetoothd start &'). I attempted to connect with pair bluetooth speakers builtin to a toque (beanie/cap) (it was a present ;) ). I still get the paired but fails to connect message.

Connection failed: blueman.bluez.errors.DBusFailedError: Protocol not available.

Watching the connection in blueman the 3 bar indicators appear for a couple of seconds then disappear. I removed device from list and attempted to re-pair but same outcome. I found an old Motorola Bluetooth sports headset in a drawer, I am currently charging, I will test tomorrow.

Bluetooth keyboard still pairs automatically and works as expected once bluetooth is started.

Edit: Borrowed my wifes portable bluetooth speaker, same result fails to connect.

Edit 2: Motorola S9 sports headset also failed to connect.
Last edited by Terry H on Sat 11 Jan 2020, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro 1.3, Buster 2.3, December 27, 2019

#2163 Post by Billtoo »

I installed new version to a 32gb flash drive.
There is a bluetooth speaker plugged into a usb port and a usb dongle
also plugged into a second usb port.

After setting up bluetooth and choosing it with the multiple
sound card wizard sound is working in firefox, also when playing an mpv file.

Version
Kernel Linux 5.4.10 (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP Fri Jan 10 20:28:59 +08 2020
C Library Unknown
Distribution Easy Buster64

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
Memory 4039MB (620MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Easy Buster64

The speaker is a BW Sound Pebble (Walmart)

Thanks

EDIT: The bluetooth adapter was purchased at Staples.
Attachments
adapter.jpg
(27.98 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
Screenshot.jpg
(90.02 KiB) Downloaded 544 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2164 Post by BarryK »

Terry H wrote:Barry, Thanks for update, burt for me still not bluetooth sound.

Manual upgrade of Easy 2.2 to 2.2.3 on Patriot 16GB USB Flash Drive for testing fo bluetooth sound. After initial setup Bluetoothd is not running at startup now. On reboot it still isn't running. I started bluetoothd ('bluetoothd start &'). I attempted to connect with pair bluetooth speakers builtin to a toque (beanie/cap) (it was a present ;) ). I still get the paired but fails to connect message.

Connection failed: blueman.bluez.errors.DBusFailedError: Protocol not available.

Watching the connection in blueman the 3 bar indicators appear for a couple of seconds then disappear. I removed device from list and attempted to re-pair but same outcome. I found an old Motorola Bluetooth sports headset in a drawer, I am currently charging, I will test tomorrow.

Bluetooth keyboard still pairs automatically and works as expected once bluetooth is started.

Edit: Borrowed my wifes portable bluetooth speaker, same result fails to connect.

Edit 2: Motorola S9 sports headset also failed to connect.
I think that I know what the problem is. You will probably find, if you do a fresh install to a usb stick, that it will work.

Firstly, starting bluetoothd manually won't fix it, you would also have to manually start bluealsad:

# /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
# bluealsad &

...but don't do that, they are supposed to start automatically.

Most likely, the upgrade has failed. If you look in /mnt/wkg/.session, these files must NOT be there:

etc/eventmanager
etc/rc.d/rc.services
etc/rc.d/rc.services-ipc

Also, these folders, if they exist, must be completely empty;
root/Startup/
etc/init.d/

The problem is that easy.sfs is the ro layer on the bottom, with all the new files. The .session folder is the top rw layer, and any old files in it will block those in the ro layer.

The initrd checks this, and makes sure that critical files are not blocked, however, I see that some are not getting checked. I will fix that now, so it should be ok for upgrades in the future.

But anyway, if you delete those blocking files in /mnt/wkg/.session, then reboot, you should be good-to-go with bt audio.

EDIT:
Another way to fix it would be to go to menu "Filesystem -> Easy Version Control" and click the button to erase the working session. That will wipe everything out of the .session folder, so none of the files in easy.sfs will be blocked.
Last edited by BarryK on Sat 11 Jan 2020, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro 1.3, Buster 2.3, December 27, 2019

#2165 Post by Billtoo »

I installed 2.2.3 to a 16gb sdhc card to use on my Acer desktop.
I don't need bluetooth support on this one, just want to have the new kernel :)
I updated PPM and installed a couple of games + arandr to configure 2 monitors.

Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
Memory 6022MB (201MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Easy Buster64

Display
Resolution 3840x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

Version
Kernel Linux 5.4.10 (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP Fri Jan 10 20:28:59 +08 2020
C Library Unknown
Distribution Easy Buster64

OpenGL
Vendor Intel Open Source Technology Center
Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop
Version 2.1 Mesa 18.3.6
Direct Rendering Y_es

Sound worked in firefox by default, didn't need to do a thing.
I'm using external speakers plugged into the headphones port.

Works well so far,
Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(43.88 KiB) Downloaded 463 times

corvus

#2166 Post by corvus »

Hi wdt
wdt wrote:OK, that probably means that the whole cups setup is wrong,,
I assume that if you try to print the cups test image the same thing happens.
Do you have most recent driver (it is not so recent, samsung is 'dumping' printers)
uld_V1.00.39_01.17.tar.gz ,, this, I think, is a universal driver
--edit--
it does work with cups, adds the samsung specific settings and filters
I extrapolated a pet file from the UnifiedLinuxDriver-1.00.39.tar.gzfile and tested it in Bionicpup64 successfully, on buster doesn't print anything, giving me "filter error".
Attached below buster's cups errorlog. The error "Unable to open raster stream - : Broken pipe" caught my attention. It's not "pstoraster" related because the file doesn't exist on the others puppy version I use and I don't have the knowledge to fix it.
Attached below the errorlog of bionicpup64's cups, using the same drivers as in buster, where printing is done regularly.

Hi rcrsn51, glad to meet you again.
rcrsn51 wrote:1. Make sure to reboot your printer before each test.
Done. Doesn't change the result.
rcrsn51 wrote:2. Check the version of Ghostscript in a Puppy that works (run: gs -h). Is it earlier than 9.27?
Bionicpup64 => ghostscript 9.25;
Fatdog64-802 => ghostscript 9.23;
LxPup64-20.1 => ghostscript 9.50.

The result, unfortunately, doesn't help to understand the issue.
rcrsn51 wrote:3. Try copying a working version of rastertospl (in /usr/lib/cups/filter) from Puppy into Buster.
as in point one.

Thank you all for the attention and time you have given me but I think, for the moment, if I have to print something I do it on another version of puppy. I hope to solve this issue with future Buster updates.
Have a nice day.
Attachments
bionicpup_cups_error_log.gz
Fake gz, remove "gz" extension.
(4.09 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
buster_cups_error_log.gz
Fake gz, remove "gz" extension.
(16.58 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

rcrsn51

#2167 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Corvus: FWIW, I ran a simulated test of your printer in the Buster Starter Kit with CUPS 2.2.10 and Ghostscript v9.27.

Like you, I pulled files out of the ULD package. I did NOT need to do any symlinking - the current gstoraster filter works OK.

I needed to change ownership of the rastertospl filter to root:root.

There were no errors in the CUPS log.

I don't know why your original error log even mentions "pstoraster".

corvus

#2168 Post by corvus »

Hi rcrsn51, I made further tests and noticed that the ownership of the rastertospl filter is root:root :

Code: Select all

root# ls -l /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 92384 mag  3  2016 /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl
With freshly installed drivers, without the pstoraster => gstoraster link the errorlog of cups is full of errors in particular:
E [11/Jan/2020:13:59:20 +0100] Filter \"pstoraster\" not found.
And print those weird strings. If I reinsert the link, like you, there are no errors in cups:
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:44 +0100] [Client 27] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/printers.cgi" (pid=10179, file=14)
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:45 +0100] [Client 29] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/printers.cgi" (pid=10181, file=14)
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:50 +0100] [Client 31] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/printers.cgi" (pid=10210, file=15)
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:50 +0100] [Job ???] Request file type is application/vnd.cups-pdf-banner.
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:50 +0100] [Job 2] Adding start banner page "none".
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:50 +0100] [Job 2] Adding end banner page "none".
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:50 +0100] [Job 2] File of type application/vnd.cups-pdf-banner queued by "anonymous".
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:50 +0100] [Job 2] Queued on "Samsung_ML-1670_Series" by "anonymous".
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:50 +0100] [Job 2] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/bannertopdf (PID 10211)
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:50 +0100] [Job 2] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftopdf (PID 10212)
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:50 +0100] [Job 2] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster (PID 10213)
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:50 +0100] [Job 2] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl (PID 10214)
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:50 +0100] [Job 2] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb (PID 10215)
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:52 +0100] [Client 33] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/printers.cgi" (pid=10232, file=14)
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:58 +0100] [Job 2] Job completed.
I [11/Jan/2020:14:02:58 +0100] Expiring subscriptions...
I [11/Jan/2020:14:03:02 +0100] [Client 36] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/printers.cgi" (pid=10332, file=14)
I [11/Jan/2020:14:03:09 +0100] [Client 38] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/admin.cgi" (pid=10407, file=14)
I [11/Jan/2020:14:03:09 +0100] Expiring subscriptions...
But it only keeps printing those weird strings.
After rebooting the system, the previously posted situation occurs. I don't think the drivers are the problem in buster.
Greetings
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

rcrsn51

#2169 Post by rcrsn51 »

There must be something wrong with this CUPS install that it wants pstoraster. The filter pstoraster was removed from CUPS long ago.

My log makes no mention of it. No symlinking is required.

Code: Select all

Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/bannertopdf (PID 3489)
Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftopdf (PID 3490)
Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster (PID 3491)
Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl (PID 3492)

scsijon

Buster 2.2.3 fixed it

#2170 Post by scsijon »

@BarryK

You may be pleased to know that other than showing ?two bluetooth icons in the tray for some reason, my troublesome laptop is, at this stage, troublesome no more. It seems to have installed to the ssd ok.

I have yet to test anything though and the sound was set as muted when started. I shall continue the process in the daylight after sleep as it's 0420 here and time for bed.

Congradulations.

corvus

#2171 Post by corvus »

rcrsn51 wrote:There must be something wrong with this CUPS install that it wants pstoraster.
I fully agree, Cheers.

Terry H

#2172 Post by Terry H »

Firstly confirm now 2 bluetooth icons appearing in tray as per scsijon's post.

I went down the erase working session path. Following the first run setup, I got bluetooth speaker set up and was able to get locally stored sound files working. I checked internet sound with seamonkey and had no sound. I initially hadn't set sound to use laptop speakers so assuming this is why I couldn't get any internet sound from speakers. Ran MSCW several times checking selecting Intel PCH or Bleutooth headset, but couldn't get internet sound at all.

I erased working session again and restarted process.

On this attempt I initially set up sound to use Intel PCH first time. I confirmed local and internet sound working. Then set up bluetooth and changed default to bluetooth headset in MSCW. I now have locally stored files playing using bluetooth, but seamonkey is sending sound to laptop speakers using Intel PCH, even though the bluetooth headset is selected as default.

This is the part Pulseaudio does so well. Just use pavucontrol and send the sound where ever you want.

I'll look at doing a fresh install tomorrow, to clean this up and get a fresh start.

Edit: MSCW is also generating 2 /root/.asoundrc files for bluetooth. The second file has the mac address appended to the file name. I ran xdiff and files are identical. Both files have the same date/time.

Edit 2: I did a reboot and now only have bluetooth sound for local files and no sound with seamonkey.
Last edited by Terry H on Sat 11 Jan 2020, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

don570

#2173 Post by don570 »

Note to BarryK :

First post has links to http://barryk.org/ which doesn't exist.

lp-dolittle

EasyOS-2.2.3 observations

#2174 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

Hi Barry,

Sorry, since I do not have blue-tooth devices I cannot test the relating changes in EasyOS-2.2.3.
However I checked the new release for previous issues, and became aware of a so far possibly underestimated security risk.

1. the Ethernet tray applet issue seems to persist unchanged.

2. gparted 1.0.0. proves to be superior to gparted 0.32.0, but gparted 0.25.0 is still the only variant which is able to show the content of 'hybrid iso.images' on flash-sticks and which has no difficulties in spontaneously displaying freshly attached drives as desktop symbols.
I, so far, was unable to figure out all the factors which influence the appearance - or non-appearance - of freshly inserted external drives on the desktop. Restarting the X server seems to be a reliable workaround which makes the symbols appear. I will continue testing.

3. Furthermore, I became aware of a possibly underestimated security risk which relates to the 'copy session to RAM & disable drives' option!
When I boot EasyOS-2.2 or EasyOS-2.2.3 from an external hard-disk, choosing this option, I later can remove and reattach the boot drive and now have full access to its partitions! Full access to everything, no encryption protection. Remarkably this 'method' also 'works' if I boot from an EasyOS-2.2.3 partition, remove it and plug in an EasyOS-2.2 drive whose working partition is encrypted. Full access to everything!
Should the 'copy to RAM & disable drives' option involve a 'transiently manipulate UUID' mechanism? Sorry, for this awkward wording; I do not know a suitable expression.

kind regards

EDIT:

As for item 3, maybe, it should be mentioned that I used the same password for EasyOS-2.2 as well as for EasyOS-2.2.3

scsijon

Re: Buster 2.2.3 sort of fixed it

#2175 Post by scsijon »

scsijon wrote:@BarryK

You may be pleased to know that other than showing ?two bluetooth icons in the tray for some reason, my troublesome laptop is, at this stage, troublesome no more. It seems to have installed to the ssd ok.

I have yet to test anything though and the sound was set as muted when started. I shall continue the process in the daylight after sleep as it's 0420 here and time for bed.

Congradulations.
OK, i'm alive I think, nana nap this afternoon, it's been a while since I did 20hrs straight without some notice.

I've attached 4 files with a fake .gz, for your perusal, but comments first.

re: the bluetooth icons;

> if I start the laptop on battery, there are 2 bluetooth icons and the battery charge symbol is white (?thought this was supose to be a %age charged icon),
> on the other hand if I start the laptop with mains on I see in the tray that there is only one bluetooth icon and the battery icon switches between blue and red (when I turn the mains off) and the second bluetooth icon reappears only when the mains is off.

Bootkernel.log lines 604 and 606 may be of interest here, only bluetooth mention is line 626

re: drive swapping;

Have a look at the bootkernel.log, line 566 is of interest here, and yes it still happens with usb drives, and the sdb2 shows mounted still as well as sdc2 but neither are readable past the first level. Not sure where to go, maybe the kernel guys, although I think they will want the firmware module loaded and tested first.

Others;

Bootsysinit.log mentions a missing /etc/modules/firmware.dep.5.4.10, and it's starting /etc/init.d/bluealsa which this laptop doesn't need so I thought it would not be starting?

xerrs.log mentions >? (blueman-applet:2947): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 08:50:42.830: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed.

And just for luck, i've added a hardonfo report in case it helps.
Attachments
hardinfo_report-2.html.gz
(59.17 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
xerrs.log.gz
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
bootsysinit.log.gz
(2.32 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
bootkernel.log.gz
(42.15 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

lp-dolittle

gparted 1.0.0

#2176 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

Hi Barry,

as some additional testing showed, gparted 1.0.0 is not really capable of correctly dealing with flash sticks which contain hybrid iso-images.

The screenshot in the attacchment came about as follows:

1. Running EasyOS-2.2.3, I plugged in a flash-stick on which I previously had copied the Quirky-8.6.1-iso. No drive icon(s) appeared on the desktop.

2. After restarting the x-sever, the drive icons sdc1 and sdc2 appeared on the desktop and could be opened/mounted.

3. gparted 1.0.0 seemed to have access to the flash-stick already before the x-server restart. The stick already was displayed as ISOIMAGE TYPE="iso9660", but the iso's content was not shown. Despite repeatedly 'refreshing' gparted, this information remained unchanged after restarting x and after sdc1 and sdc2 were accessed (mounted/opened) by mouse clicks! Gparted continues displaying sdc as 'Not mounted'.

kind regards
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(173.02 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Buster 2.2.3 fixed it

#2177 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:You may be pleased to know that other than showing ?two bluetooth icons in the tray for some reason, my troublesome laptop is, at this stage, troublesome no more. It seems to have installed to the ssd ok.
Yes, I know about the two bluetooth icons. That is fixed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: EasyOS-2.2.3 observations

#2178 Post by BarryK »

lp-dolittle wrote:3. Furthermore, I became aware of a possibly underestimated security risk which relates to the 'copy session to RAM & disable drives' option!
When I boot EasyOS-2.2 or EasyOS-2.2.3 from an external hard-disk, choosing this option, I later can remove and reattach the boot drive and now have full access to its partitions! Full access to everything, no encryption protection. Remarkably this 'method' also 'works' if I boot from an EasyOS-2.2.3 partition, remove it and plug in an EasyOS-2.2 drive whose working partition is encrypted. Full access to everything!
Should the 'copy to RAM & disable drives' option involve a 'transiently manipulate UUID' mechanism? Sorry, for this awkward wording; I do not know a suitable expression.
That is intentional. I don't see how it is a security risk. It involves you physically replugging the drive. Or, do you mean that you can "remove and reattach" the boot drive some other way?

The whole idea is that to be protected, you don't plug or replug anything. You would only do so if you want to save something, then unplug it.

lp-dolittle

security risk

#2179 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry,

Hi Barry,

of course, you are right!

The risk, I'm thinking of can be considered 'user-related', and I tried to figure out a way to minimise this risk. Maybe, for most users, a simple warning message at boot-up also might do.

What do you think of the supposition that choosing the kernel parameter 'wkg_dev=zram0' still is a valuable alternative? Since, in this case, no password is required for booting, the working partition remains encrypted even if it is mounted, later. And, it also is possible to save data onto additionally inserted drives.

kind regards

FeodorF

SeaMonkey Nightly Builds

#2180 Post by FeodorF »

Hi All!

Bill Gianopoulos http://www.wg9s.com/ has compiled some SeaMonkey 2.57 alpha versions for testing.

This one works with Buster-2.2 http://www.wg9s.com/comm-257/seamonkey- ... 64.tar.bz2.

Others are there http://www.wg9s.com/comm-257/.

Regards,
FeodorF

Edit: SeaMonkey Nightly Builds have been updated 2020-01-13.
Attachments
default64.png
(7.41 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
Last edited by FeodorF on Tue 14 Jan 2020, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.