Quirky Xerus 8.6 (Aug. 16), Beaver 8.7.1 (Sept. 21), 2018

Please post any bugs you have found
slavvo67

#241 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi BarryK:

I see you are already working hard on Sabotage but I think there may be an issue with how WoofQ handles Pinstall scripts. I am making the assumption that WoofQ should handle pinstall scripts the same as PPM but as referenced above, the Right Click Tools error out and do not install. Also, I've seen other inconsistancies where the install to desktop (pinboard icons) are not getting onto the pinboard but work fine when installing using PPM.

Have there been significant changes over the years with how Pinstall files are handled? I'm seeing inconsistencies between Woof and PPM on this which I am guessing should work the same way with pets.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Slavvo67

don570

#242 Post by don570 »

Barry made a change several years ago so that multiple desktop files in the package folder would
be properly handled and more recently he changed how the SendTo folder
was handled.

As far as the pinstall.sh file ----> when they are used with woof
Posted on 11 Aug 2011, 8:03 by BarryK
Re pinstall.sh script
zigbert,
The pinstall script works in both cases, in Woof and in a running Puppy system.

All you have to know is that you don't put an absolute path, for example instead of /usr/lib/libfile.so, you put usr/lib/libfile.so (or ./usr/lib/libfile.so). This works in both cases.

As far as upgrading an existing Pmusic, usually you don't have to do anything special. But, in case you do, well, you can put anything that you require into pinstall.sh. Note, the script is a post-install script, so acts on the files after they have been installed.

You will notice that I sometimes put a test
if [ "`pwd`" = "/" ];then
...that is when I want pinstall.sh to do something different depending on whether the package is being installed in Woof or a running Puppy. The above test would be true if a running Puppy.

Billtoo

Quirky Xerus 8.0 final

#243 Post by Billtoo »

I used the alternative method to install to a 32gb usb-3.0 flash drive,
computer is an Acer desktop.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Tue 17 May 2016 on Quirky Xerus64 8.0 Linux 4.4.7 x86_64
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18 )
oem: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.18.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1013x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.0

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
Core 0: @1200 1: @1200 2: @1200 3: @1200 MHz

Added applications with QPM, switched to Icewm-1.38

Working well.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(47.37 KiB) Downloaded 2126 times

Robin2

Problem with taskbar indicators

#244 Post by Robin2 »

On my ACER Cloudbook (with Quirky8) the indicator for battery capacity seems to show 69% all the time except when the battery is fully charged.

When you click the indicator and see the full details it seems to be getting the correct information.

The clock seems to have a mind of its own - I have no idea where it gets the crazy times from. Just now it was showing 5pm when it was actually 8pm. This morning it was wrong by about 7 hours and 40 minutes. Each occasion I select menu/desktop/set date and time to correct it.

Also I could find no way to show the date as well as the time in the taskbar.

...R

ETP

Re: Problem with taskbar indicators

#245 Post by ETP »

Robin2 wrote:On my ACER Cloudbook (with Quirky8) the indicator for battery capacity seems to show 69% all the time except when the battery is fully charged.

When you click the indicator and see the full details it seems to be getting the correct information.

The clock seems to have a mind of its own - I have no idea where it gets the crazy times from. Just now it was showing 5pm when it was actually 8pm. This morning it was wrong by about 7 hours and 40 minutes. Each occasion I select menu/desktop/set date and time to correct it.

Also I could find no way to show the date as well as the time in the taskbar.

...R
Hi Robin2,

Use PupClockset manager on the Desktop menu to display both date & time.

With regard to the time, check in QuickSetup that you have Your location set correctly.
The shot below shows mine set as Europe/London. Also before clicking OK tick the box at
the bottom of the Quicksetup window to "Set the time/date from the internet"

Sorry, but no idea on the battery issue.

Full sized screen-shot here: (Press F11 to toggle into full screen then click on link)

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... nYzMXZJcU0
Attachments
image-1.png
Clock / Date / Time / Location / Set from Internet
(104.03 KiB) Downloaded 2076 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

don570

#246 Post by don570 »

The pclock app by zigbert leaves a big clock in a window for the user.
SEE HERE

The kernel needs updating by the maintainers if the battery status is
inaccurate. The board manufacturers should help the maintainers.

Robin2

Re: Problem with taskbar indicators

#247 Post by Robin2 »

ETP wrote: Use PupClockset manager on the Desktop menu to display both date & time.
Have you got that in your Quirky Desktop menu? I can't see it in mine?

What version of Quirky are you using?

...R

ETP

#248 Post by ETP »

Hi Robin2,

Radky's PupClockset-2.4.2 manager pet has to be installed.
It can be obtained here:

http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html

Pup displayed is Quirky Xerus 8.0 final with a variety of pets
installed together with manual additions.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Robin2

#249 Post by Robin2 »

ETP wrote: Radky's PupClockset-2.4.2 manager pet has to be installed.
Thanks for the link. I will have a look at that.

However the purpose of my first Post on this subject was to let the Quirky folks know that there is a bug in the system (or two).

Right now the clock shows 10:35 when the correct time in 18:57

...R

scabz

#250 Post by scabz »

"Robin2" there are a lot of reasons why the time can change or get messed up.

- haveing multiple OS can cause times issues mostly has happened to me when switching between windows and linux.

- dead cmos battery

- not setting the time zone correctly

- bios time not set correctly and conflicting with OS time

there are probably more things that can go wrong but most likely operator error.

Robin2

#251 Post by Robin2 »

There is only one OS on the laptop - Quirky8.

It is very new so I doubt if it is a battery problem,

My guess is that the piece of code that is intended to update the clock data on the taskbar is not working properly and may be connected to the problem that fails to update the battery condition indicator.

I have been hoping to get some feedback from someone who is familiar with the code behind those features.

...R

ASD

#252 Post by ASD »

Robin2

Didn't your Acer Cloudbook come with Windows?

If so, and if not deleted, does the clock work using Windows?

If, as it seems, you are the only user with this problem, it may be a bad install, especially as you also reported a problem deleting icons.

slavvo67

#253 Post by slavvo67 »

instead of /usr/lib/libfile.so, you put usr/lib/libfile.so (or ./usr/lib/libfile.so). This works in both cases.
Thanks Don570 but this did not work with the usr/lib/libfile.so example. I will try again with the ./user/lib/libfile.so example but this took quite a bit of testing time. It was on a much simpler pinstall than the Rightclicktools, so I need to get that going before getting the Rightclicktools to install properly. That pet is critical, though and I think it's a must in all Puppy or Quirky distros.

Also, I'm having a real difficult time with Chromium based browsers in Quirky Xerus. It seems the typical sandbox scripts aren't working properly, though I've had some success using the "no sandbox" option. No sandbox is not the way to go.....

- Thanks again,

Slavvo67

Robin2

#254 Post by Robin2 »

ASD wrote:Robin2
Didn't your Acer Cloudbook come with Windows?
I repeat "There is only one OS on the laptop - Quirky8."

What have you in mind when you say "a bad install"? Has this happened to you?

...R

slavvo67

#255 Post by slavvo67 »

Robin2:

Perhaps you can start another thread under Users for the Regulars with a How to install Quirky Xerus to a computer. It needs a separate Grub4dos install, I think.

Best,

Slavvo67

PS - I may add the Radkey time pet to my next alpha.

ALSO: Both methods of changing pinstall to work in Woof have failed. If anyone can elaborate on Don's guidance above it would be appreciated.

Robin2

#256 Post by Robin2 »

slavvo67 wrote:Robin2:
Perhaps you can start another thread under Users for the Regulars with a How to install Quirky Xerus to a computer. It needs a separate Grub4dos install, I think.
What had you in mind when you suggested this? The standard install process in Quirky seems to work fine and uses Syslinux.

As far as I can see Syslinux is easier to use than Grub.

However I am far from being sufficiently competent to write a tutorial.

...R

linuxcbon

#257 Post by linuxcbon »

Quirky Xerus 8.0
- abiword cannot open docx files. It's a pity. Is it a missing option in compilation ? Someone has a solution ?
- /usr/local/share/ is empty , is it used ?

slavvo67

#258 Post by slavvo67 »

There is no perfect solution that I know of for .docx files in Linux. Libre Office and maybe similar Open Office might be your best option. The newer versions come with a convert function so you can "potentially" convert docx to a format that better works with Libre.

Libre is free and can be installed in Windows and Linux environments so I'm still surprised that MS Office keeps a stronghold.

Importantly, even when a word processor says it handles .docx format, it usually doesn't keep format correctly, etc. I try to save as .rtf which seems to cross convert easier.

@Robin2: How is your full install working? A few of my USB's stopped booting but I've been doing a lot with them so it's not completely unexpected. Still, I always worry about doing a full install of Puppy / Quirky, etc.

Robin2

#259 Post by Robin2 »

slavvo67 wrote:@Robin2: How is your full install working? A few of my USB's stopped booting but I've been doing a lot with them so it's not completely unexpected. Still, I always worry about doing a full install of Puppy / Quirky, etc.
I discovered (only 2 days ago) that there is a XenialPup and I have switched to using that as I prefer the saveFile concept and it is overall more similar to TahrPup.

What is really annoying is that the XenialPup was available before I bought my ACER and none of my searches found it.

Thanks everyone for their assistance.

...R

PS. As of this writing XenialPup won't boot from the ACER hard drive - only from a USB stick whereas Quirky did boot properly (and faster).

slavvo67

#260 Post by slavvo67 »

Yes, I think you should have asked more questions before wiping your drive and installing Puppy or Quirky (unless it's more for fun than production).

The true fact is that I don't think that I've found a perfect Puppy or Quirky, though some are more solid than others for sure.