pWidgets 2.5.8

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
tasmod

#2421 Post by tasmod »

Hi Guys,

Back again after a break. :lol:

Ragaman,
your request for a timer widget sounds interesting, I'll have a look at it for you.

As I've never seen pre-paid broadband what is a suitable range of cost per minute for input ?

At what point is connection made ? Is it auto or manual during computer 'on' time?

You want a monthly total, correct?
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

trio

#2422 Post by trio »

Go for it Rob

01micko

#2423 Post by 01micko »

Ah yes...

Introducing the Kernel widget... perhaps the simplest widget yet. Surprising it's been overlooked!

(...and yes, Pwidgets is working fine in 417 alpha with the 2.6.30.1 kernel as seen in the screeny)
Attachments
kernelwidget.jpg
(15.76 KiB) Downloaded 937 times
kernel_version.pet
(897 Bytes) Downloaded 368 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Minnesota

#2424 Post by Minnesota »

Introducing the Kernel widget... perhaps the simplest widget yet. Surprising it's been overlooked!

(...and yes, Pwidgets is working fine in 417 alpha with the 2.6.30.1 kernel as seen in the screeny)
Questions:
I do not have Pwidgets loaded; running 417 from CD.
Ran pet two or three times, restarted X each time, still no menu entry.
Tried in terminal entering every combination of the words Kernel_Widget... still might have misspelled it?

Is there a way to display the information simply on the desktop... at X,Y location with out pwidgets?

lilleguard-liste

#2425 Post by lilleguard-liste »

Aitch recommended me consulting this thread about an idea for improvement of the jwm menu. Somebody able to do this?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 540#325540

01micko

#2426 Post by 01micko »

Minnesota wrote:

Questions:
I do not have Pwidgets loaded; running 417 from CD.
Ran pet two or three times, restarted X each time, still no menu entry.
Tried in terminal entering every combination of the words Kernel_Widget... still might have misspelled it?

Is there a way to display the information simply on the desktop... at X,Y location with out pwidgets?
Hello Minnesota.

You do need to have Pwidgets installed and running for the kernel widget to work.

It would be nice to be able to print it on the screen without pwidgets/conky but I do not know of another utility to do such. MU is cluey in this department. Maybe he knows another way.

Cheers

trio

#2427 Post by trio »

lilleguard-liste wrote:Aitch recommended me consulting this thread about an idea for improvement of the jwm menu. Somebody able to do this?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 540#325540
Hmm, you should ask Patriot, he's the one playing with JWM...but in my opinion, even if it is possible, it will be like constructing JWM as a whole. And actually, what is the point of doing that with JWM? Cosmetics?

01micko

#2428 Post by 01micko »

Hi Minnesota

Look here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 608#325608

I made a simple pet for kernel version and puppy version,

Hope it suits your needs.

(Note that the PPM in 417 is still buggy)

Cheers :)

tasmod

#2429 Post by tasmod »

Guys,

Conky is up to 1.7.1.1 now and has some new variables available that would add at least couple of interesting widgets.

'image' is one :D

Who was it who modded Conky for Pwidgets ?
Rob
-

Patriot

#2430 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
tasmod wrote:.....
Conky is up to 1.7.1.1 now and has some new variables available that would add at least couple of interesting widgets.

'image' is one :D
Conky 1.7.1.1 has grown in features and in size. Even with the exact
same configuration as Conky 1.6.1, the final binary is at least 10KB
bigger (after compression). The current 1.7.1.1 default configuration
added MOC, config-output, alsa, lua and ups daemon as standard
configuration ...

Imlib2 inclusion also means added dependency unless it is part of a
standard distribution. Mick, zigbert, please pm me if you want the
patched sources ...

Anyone who wants to play with the binaries, I have two ready made
here.

Rgds

.-.
Attachments
conky-pwi-1.7.1.1-i486.tar.gz
conky-1.7.1.1 : Same as conky-1.6.1 (pwidgets) + extra moc.
(73.12 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
conky-imlib2-1.7.1.1-i486.tar.gz
conky-1.7.1.1 : Same as conky-1.6.1 (pwidgets) + moc, config-output, imlib2, alsa-mixer, apcupsd.
(77.8 KiB) Downloaded 370 times

01micko

#2431 Post by 01micko »

tasmod wrote: Who was it who modded Conky for Pwidgets ?
hehe.... as if you didn't know! Yeah, yeah you can blame it on old timers's disease all you want! That is your right. :roll:
Patriot wrote:Conky 1.7.1.1 has grown in features and in size. Even with the exact
same configuration as Conky 1.6.1, the final binary is at least 10KB
bigger (after compression). The current 1.7.1.1 default configuration
added MOC, config-output, alsa, lua and ups daemon as standard
configuration ...
Well Pwidgets is not likely to be in the next Puppy so I think we can handle 10k extra for the binary and a few more k for extra scripts making use of extra functionality. :)

What say you old.. er.. Rob?

Patriot. Might have a play first, at least we know where we can get that patched source. :wink:

Cheers

zigbert

#2432 Post by zigbert »

Hi guys

I think we could make a plan for next release.
1. - We need the new patched conky from Patriot. [done]
2. - I don't know of any bugs, so please report, and I will look at it.
3. - Play with the new conky (preferable in Puppy 4.3) and make some new widgets.
4. - It would been great if it was compatible with both Puppy 4.3 and 5.
5. - There is nothing to rush about.
6. - I could put it all together in some future.

Sigmund

tasmod

#2433 Post by tasmod »

Ahh, that's more like it, a bit of enthusiasm again.

Mick, If I ever get out out of this rocking chair and take me slippers off, gol darn it ............ :mrgreen: .........

On a seperate note, I've been using the Puppy Win32 Installer, brilliant piece of kit.

One exe file, installs to Windows, dual boots and is easily uninstallable.
Rob
-

01micko

#2434 Post by 01micko »

Hi guys

A list of minor bugs and issues in Pwidgets which we can address in the next version

*"PuppyLinux" widget... should it be "Puppy Linux"?

*Weather Widget
To allow people using F to have degrees F we must add this at the end of line 7 in /root/.pwidgets/scripts/Weather

Code: Select all

| sed 's/F$/°F/'
Weather widget must have "HEIGHT=100" instead of 85. Even 105. Since we added the GUI for weather widget it often overlaps the next widget.

(Schism and Jim1911.. do you have any other suggestions for widget heights of other widgets?)

Other issues.
There are lots of wallpaper setters out there. The one we use is ok, but it doesn't have BK's new cropping for widescreen functionality. He hasn't quite got it working correctly yet, so wait and see.
We need a GUI for mail widget.
Perhaps include the Kernel widget? (see previous page)

Anyone else find anything that might need addressing?

Cheers

Mick

trio

#2435 Post by trio »

[quote=Micko]There are lots of wallpaper setters out there. The one we use is ok, but it doesn't have BK's new cropping for widescreen functionality. He hasn't quite got it working correctly yet, so wait and see. [/quote]

Hi all,

Nice to see our monumental thread lives again... :wink:

I use pwallpaper by gposil and it works well, I also got it to work with Barry's reshape_background function, it's also easy to tweak to be compatible with pwidgets.

01micko

#2436 Post by 01micko »

trio wrote: I use pwallpaper by gposil and it works well, I also got it to work with Barry's reshape_background function, it's also easy to tweak to be compatible with pwidgets.
Do it! :lol:

Now here is libimlib... needed for the image option in the new conky... (OMG! look at the size!) I made it from a debian package ... it wouldn't compile :cry: Maybe someone could compile it much smaller, I don't know. It might be fun to play with... Rob?

libimlib2_1.3.0-i386.pet
181k(right click and save link target as) :wink:

Here is a screeny with a basic config calling an image Image

Cheers

ttuuxxx

#2437 Post by ttuuxxx »

01micko wrote:
trio wrote:
Now here is libimlib... needed for the image option in the new conky... (OMG! look at the size!) I made it from a debian package ... it wouldn't compile :cry: Maybe someone could compile it much smaller, I don't know. It might be fun to play with... Rob?

181k(right click and save link target as) :wink:

Cheers
Hi mick thats a fine size For libimlib2, I use it in Pup-shots and it was about that size also, It does have a lot of features for what it can do, too bad its not a replacement for libimlib1, its made to go with it and not to replace it. Would be nice if it was included in puppy as default its a great library used by many new applications and would improve the image quality in things like gimp and maybe mtpaint if it upgraded to v2.

I also agree with trio on the wallpaper setter, :), you can download pwallset-1.0.pet at the bottom of the page and read about it on this thread

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45299
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

01micko

#2438 Post by 01micko »

Ok,

I've been having a play with Patriots new conky-imlib2 version with the libimlib2 dependency added. I made a test widget which I have simply called Image. It has a plugin so you can type the path to your image into the dialog box.

Notes: best results are with landscape images, 4:3 aspect. It can handle transparent .png files. :) . I've tested with .png and .jpg up to 4 megapixels from a digital camera, (see dog above).

Instructions. Turn off Pwidgets from the file menu. Move /usr/bin/conky to a safe location on your system, just in case. Download and and unzip Patriot's conky-imlib2-1.7.1.1-i486.tar.gz (from previous page). Put it in /usr/bin. Make a symlink to it named conky. Download and install the libimlib2_1.3.0-i386.pet I supplied up this page. Download and install the Image-widget.pet. Restart Pwidgets and choose the image widget, type the path to an image. That's it.

WARNING No responsibility taken if smoke comes out of your machine (or your ears).
Attachments
superpup-image.jpg
(17.15 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
Image-widget.pet
(1.67 KiB) Downloaded 215 times

tasmod

#2439 Post by tasmod »

See, told you it was time to move on. :lol:

I also thought of the image and transparency as being useful. It should be 'locatable' with X Y co-ords. So it's possible with a bit of juggling to have one widget on top of a very transparent 'ghost' image.

'Weather' widget could have mini clouds too. Likewise 'Moon'

With the full version it's also possible to make widgets for the 'netbook' users.

I'll try to work on some today but "she who must be obeyed" is home for once this weekend.

Mick, can you do me a favour and make a small pet of the countrys I missed in zoneinfo for tuuxxx's 214R and post it in the thread.

It should be called Zones1.pet and contain from 421 /usr/share/zoneinfo the following Africa, Asia, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile.

Somethings changed on forum software and I'm unable to post the first part of the pets.

Thanks.
Rob
-

trio

#2440 Post by trio »

tasmod wrote:See, told you it was time to move on. :lol:

I also thought of the image and transparency as being useful. It should be 'locatable' with X Y co-ords. So it's possible with a bit of juggling to have one widget on top of a very transparent 'ghost' image.

'Weather' widget could have mini clouds too. Likewise 'Moon'.
I don't think it's that simple, conky gets background (not really transparent, but what you call? pseudeo? ) from rox-background aka wallpaper. That's how I did manage to put sidebar (actually an image printed on the wallpaper) and get conky to set that as background. Last time I made a weather with backgrounds (changes according to the weather) widgets, but it was when conky use the root background (enabled by xli), not the rox-background. You still can have background for widgets, but it can be done with the same method like sidebar. If you stack the image widget with another one, then the top widget will only cover the image widget.