Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#2781 Post by Sage »

Thanks, mush, for your alert and clarification!
Of course I read your red ink. Of course I didn't apply your 'temporary fix' to Saluki.
What I said was 'thanks' to aarf for highlighting this issue and pointing to your posting. Hopefully that's what other readers did.
This obscure problem will not go away, however determined some developers are to overlook or ignore it. Frankly, I've never seen it before, so I was heartened to learn that other folks had.
With absolutely no skills or knowledge of coding, surely a looping fault can be isolated by those who do? Attention to details like this is imperative before releasing gold. Some giant corporations persistently failed to do this and became the pariahs of the patch. No, not that patch - the cabbage patch.

Later: rerwin to the rescue? :-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 646#622646

Geoffrey

Re: Midori

#2782 Post by Geoffrey »

DaveS wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:speed dial cannot move entries to rearrange them
Strange, that is working for me.......
My mistake it is working, I wasn't holding my mouth right :lol: I'll correct my previous post

Volhout

#2783 Post by Volhout »

cthisbear wrote:I have connected with wireless on the Asus Eee PC with
Saluki 019.

This has been a Class A stinker 4 wireless.

No Puppeeee or Fluppy has got this to connect.
I may have seen the encrypted network but this netbook
refused to work in any Puppy till today.

So I'll keep testing a few Pups while I have
this netbook available today.

The sound is really low.
cthisbear

I have Slacko 5.3.2.7 running on the exact same HW. Fast and flawles.
It even supports most of the function keys.

nooby

#2784 Post by nooby »

cthisbear says "The sound is really low. "

My experience is that all puppy have low sound.
Not sure why. But it helps sometimes to right click
the loudspeaker icon in tray and check all the many volumes there.
But sometimes that does not help much. But it is often worth it.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jim3630

#2785 Post by jim3630 »

attempted get Tor to work as in other puppies by opening tor tar ball in root/my-applications/lib. after usual changes to script it would not execute. restarted x without change.

any idea how to get Tor to work or do we need a Tor version in the repo for it to work?

oliverjames

#2786 Post by oliverjames »

nooby wrote:cthisbear says "The sound is really low. "

My experience is that all puppy have low sound.
Not sure why. But it helps sometimes to right click
the loudspeaker icon in tray and check all the many volumes there.
But sometimes that does not help much. But it is often worth it.
I don't find Puppy to be anymore problematic than other Linux distros. I'm currently using Saluki to run my "multimeda" Asus Eeebox.
It handles:
sound out thro a usb DAC sound card,
input thro the onboard card for audacity recordings,
usb (webcam) mic input for Skype.
All very musical.
I've run this setup with 5.2.8 with similar success, but I've always found XFCE to be my desktop of choice so it's Saluki for me.

jemimah

#2787 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:
jemimah wrote:Saluki-21 is out. This included the new midori, fixed ogle, and pupsaveconfig-2.2.1.
Can we have a 20 > 21 diff file please. I have a very slow connection ATM.
eCube has uploaded one. Thanks.

jemimah

#2788 Post by jemimah »

Sage wrote:Thanks, mush, for your alert and clarification!
Of course I read your red ink. Of course I didn't apply your 'temporary fix' to Saluki.
What I said was 'thanks' to aarf for highlighting this issue and pointing to your posting. Hopefully that's what other readers did.
This obscure problem will not go away, however determined some developers are to overlook or ignore it. Frankly, I've never seen it before, so I was heartened to learn that other folks had.
With absolutely no skills or knowledge of coding, surely a looping fault can be isolated by those who do? Attention to details like this is imperative before releasing gold. Some giant corporations persistently failed to do this and became the pariahs of the patch. No, not that patch - the cabbage patch.

Later: rerwin to the rescue? :-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 646#622646
If only one person reports it and I can't reproduce it, I assume its a PEBKAC error or a hardware anomaly unless I get a decent bug report.

In any case it certainly has nothing to do with the wmpoweroff script. However downgrading pupsaveconfig (to an older one from the saluki repo) may possibly help.

21js

#2789 Post by 21js »

problem I have with Saluki

I cannot see how to view hard drive partition after the first time without unmounting it then remounting it again

However if I have neglected to unmount a .iso file before closing the file manager window it is not possible to unmount the drive nor return to the iso file to unmount it.

Perhaps I am missing something?

jemimah

#2790 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Tried to compile a driver in luki 020 and get

Code: Select all

Can't locate Class/Struct.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/autoconf /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.1/i486-t2-linux-gnu /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/i486-t2-linux-gnu /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.1/i486-t2-linux-gnu /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.1/File/stat.pm line 27.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.1/File/stat.pm line 27.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 42.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 42.
If I remember correctly they were some changes in devx relating to perl. Is this related?
Yes you need to install perl and friends to compile stuff now. It's a pain, but otherwise perl apps' dependencies do not resolve.
Worked, but I think you could add the packages as dependencies to perl_DEV. This should not messup other packages requiring perl(modules) and make installation easy.
If this is not kosher, what about a mock pet to pull the deps?
I have fixed the dependencies of perl_DEV.

DaveS

#2791 Post by DaveS »

Oh GOD I am so SICK of Midori! Never have I had such a love/hate relationship with a piece of software. Just now It hung and I had to kill it. Now it seg faults all the time. I just cant face another save file re-build.....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jemimah

#2792 Post by jemimah »

21js wrote:problem I have with Saluki

I cannot see how to view hard drive partition after the first time without unmounting it then remounting it again

However if I have neglected to unmount a .iso file before closing the file manager window it is not possible to unmount the drive nor return to the iso file to unmount it.

Perhaps I am missing something?
Mounted drives show up in Thunar side bar.

ISOs can be unmounted from the drive mounter applet. The are the ones with pluses in the name.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(61.99 KiB) Downloaded 670 times

jemimah

#2793 Post by jemimah »

DaveS wrote:Oh GOD I am so SICK of Midori! Never have I had such a love/hate relationship with a piece of software. Just now It hung and I had to kill it. Now it seg faults all the time. I just cant face another save file re-build.....
Did you do an upgrade? My copy of midori .4.5 has been rock solid and I've been unable to crash it so far. But I always use a fresh save. You might be able to salvage it by deleting /root/.config/midori.

Sage

#2794 Post by Sage »

If only one person reports it
Please refer to http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 983#622983
and work on it by rerwin. We are not alone!
For the record, I might've overlooked reporting it until 21 arrived had it not been reported by another correspondent. Following the thread and rerwin's discourse shows that it has been reported previously (he doesn't report where, by whom and how often) and is a known bug, Sadly rerwin's patch aggravated the situation.
The good news is that UPGRADE to 21 from the misbehaving 20 seems to have cured it - at least for me. Should be some clues in there somewhere for the cognoscenti?

For the record, although I am NOT a coder, I don't tend to report spurious problems in alphas & betas, especially as I don't understand anything at all about the SW iteration procedures. Sometimes I misunderstand the coder-speak, but apart from that I try to find user issues likely to kill incomers interest at a stroke. It's very, very easy to deter users. Sadly, they'd be missing a first class piece of work with Saluki - we should all endeavour to avoid that.
Nothing personal, just trying to be a good scientist. It's all about collating observations from as wide a source as possible.

jemimah

#2795 Post by jemimah »

Anything in recent puplets is an unrelated coincidence. If it is now fixed, it was probably a bad install.

Developers are also easily deterred. Whining, sarcasm, etc makes me remember what a waste of time this all is.

DaveS

#2796 Post by DaveS »

jemimah wrote: makes me remember what a waste of time this all is.
Except for the overwhelming gratitude of the silent majority. Spurred on by the delight that is Saluki+Xfce, I downloaded the debian xfce edition of Mint. Download took two hours. St*ff me, it would not even boot!
Sure there are critics. If someone discovered a cure for cancer there would be a pressure group against it. Its just the nature of this utterly hopeless species.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#2797 Post by Sage »

Whining, sarcasm, etc
Might be guilty of 'etc', not the former pair. Don't forget Mr Churchill's exposition: two nations divided by a common language. One man's humour may be another woman's sarcasm?
As for 'waste of time', what else might one engage in? There's a giant asteroid with our name on it due in 2036. If we don't stop emitting, the next ice-age will be along sooner. If we don't stop breeding, we'll all die of thirst and starvation, assuming the usual expedient of mutual self-extinction doesn't takes us all out first?
What should we do? Read Dawkins?!
In the meantime, Saluki seems like a good idea.

PS. Sorry, Dave, never had an issue with any of the versions of Mint Xfce. Fully featured for all those bytes, no need to mess with FP & co. - it's all there, OOTB. Seems to be the consensus on Distrowatch, too.

jim3630

#2798 Post by jim3630 »

Sage wrote:
Whining, sarcasm, etc
Might be guilty of 'etc', not the former pair. .
1+ whinning sarcasm. I've posted this to you before.

you are the only one reporting it Saluki. this goes back to your earlier

inability to understand the first paragraph on the first page here.

you are one of the most if not the most bitching self important know it alls on this board. instead of trying to understand where she is coming from. she the programmer who has hand held you through pfix=nox. you try to argue your position. a self admitted self evident uneducated non programing skill level.

then you try to blame something else, language differences, grow up and take
some responsibility instead of harassing hard working people.

--------
again in your last post your off topic. you have been asked before not
to use this thread to air your unrelated opinions.

your a big bullying baby.

---

oh, not to forget your self proclaimed bigot and slanderer.
Last edited by jim3630 on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 18:12, edited 2 times in total.

jemimah

#2799 Post by jemimah »

DaveS wrote:
jemimah wrote: makes me remember what a waste of time this all is.
Except for the overwhelming gratitude of the silent majority. Spurred on by the delight that is Saluki+Xfce, I downloaded the debian xfce edition of Mint. Download took two hours. St*ff me, it would not even boot!
Sure there are critics. If someone discovered a cure for cancer there would be a pressure group against it. Its just the nature of this utterly hopeless species.
It's not really the users that make it feel like a waste of time. The waste is that it takes so many hours, but then it's worthless in a short time if you don't maintain it. It's like a plant that needs to be watered constantly. To what end?

DaveS

#2800 Post by DaveS »

jemimah wrote:it's worthless in a short time if you don't maintain it. It's like a plant that needs to be watered constantly. To what end?
That is not entirely true. XP? Still the worlds most used distro. Sometimes, a line has to be drawn.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!