Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#341 Post by jemimah »

Stripe wrote:
rjbrewer wrote: Tried the "Big Buck Bunny" ogg sample; (20mb download).
It plays fine, but can't find a way to get out of Gxine fullscreen
mode once selected.
I use the Esc key, does that not work for you?

Stripe
Also try Ctrl-F

jemimah

#342 Post by jemimah »

I need some feedback.

The new CUPS: win or lose?

The new Bluetooth: win or lose?
(so far it's lose for me, the new applet is good but the bluez backend won't pair with my keyboard anymore).

How's Remmina working out? Do you miss PuTTY?

Is LameSmbFS better than Pnethood?

Media Hotkeys: did I miss any?

Do you miss InkscapeLite or Homebank?

Stripe

#343 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Just been further testing the audio, Goggles can handle my 40gb mp3/ogg collection perfectly even though it is on another hard drive (very impressed)

One small problem with Gxine and Xfmedia when playing certain tracks the track listing comes up in Russian???
This never used to happen in fluppy 004 (see attached screenshot, track playing is neon knights)

jemimah

#344 Post by jemimah »

My guess is Xine's built-in ability to decode tags is getting better but chokes on some tags.

Goggles uses taglib to read the tags, and that works pretty well.

Brown Mouse

#345 Post by Brown Mouse »

jemimah wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:I'm missing a couple of tray icons ,a network connection and cpu usage.
Can these be installed and if so how would one go about it?
IceWM does support a CPU applet and a network applet. On the Desktop menu, pick IceWM configuration. You can run the wizard the turn on the CPU applet (in the Taskbar section). But you must edit the config file by hand to enable the network applet. Change 'TaskBarShowNetStatus=0' to 'TaskBarShowNetStatus=1' and uncomment 'NetworkStatusDevice="ppp0 eth0"' and modify the interfaces for the interfaces you have on your PC.

After that, restart X and you should see the applets.
Jemimah

Thank you for the info' and thanks also for Fluppy which is very impressive :D

Brown Mouse

#346 Post by Brown Mouse »

jemimah wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:I'm missing a couple of tray icons ,a network connection and cpu usage.
Can these be installed and if so how would one go about it?
IceWM does support a CPU applet and a network applet. On the Desktop menu, pick IceWM configuration. You can run the wizard the turn on the CPU applet (in the Taskbar section). But you must edit the config file by hand to enable the network applet. Change 'TaskBarShowNetStatus=0' to 'TaskBarShowNetStatus=1' and uncomment 'NetworkStatusDevice="ppp0 eth0"' and modify the interfaces for the interfaces you have on your PC.

After that, restart X and you should see the applets.
Jemimah

Thank you for the info' and thanks also for Fluppy which is very impressive :D

jemimah

#347 Post by jemimah »

jemimah wrote:My guess is Xine's built-in ability to decode tags is getting better but chokes on some tags.

Hmm maybe it's ffmpeg choking on the tags. I'll take a look and see. Seems to me it's the songs with embedded cover art or something that screws it up.

EDIT: Ffmpeg seems fine with decoding all the tags I can throw at it. I have no idea where the problem is yet.

Edit2: Seems recompiling xfmedia fixed it. My bad. Recompiling Gxine will be tougher - at least the latest version never worked correctly for me.
Last edited by jemimah on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

#348 Post by Roy »

Personally, no. However, I intend to give Puppy to some of the younger folks struggling to make ends meet... and I think some kind of finance software that aids in budgeting would be a big plus in these cases. Fluppy would be my gift distro of choice because these same folks typically run inexpensive netbooks.

A .pet and/or .sfs file would suffice in these cases, if it is readily available.

Just my 2-cents.

-Roy

Stripe

#349 Post by Stripe »

jemimah wrote:
jemimah wrote:My guess is Xine's built-in ability to decode tags is getting better but chokes on some tags.

Hmm maybe it's ffmpeg choking on the tags. I'll take a look and see. Seems to me it's the songs with embedded cover art or something that screws it up.

EDIT: Ffmpeg seems fine with decoding all the tags I can throw at it. I have no idea where the problem is yet.
It definatly seems like tags as it is only hapening consitently on certain files, Have you tried a file without any tags? is there a tag editor in fluppy to look at the tags?

as for feedback cups wise after the patch was applied there does not seem to be any difference to me. as for the rest I either have not got the hardware or do not use the software so cannot comment.
Cheers
Stripe

jemimah

#350 Post by jemimah »

Roy wrote:
Personally, no. However, I intend to give Puppy to some of the younger folks struggling to make ends meet... and I think some kind of finance software that aids in budgeting would be a big plus in these cases. Fluppy would be my gift distro of choice because these same folks typically run inexpensive netbooks.

A .pet and/or .sfs file would suffice in these cases, if it is readily available.

Just my 2-cents.

-Roy
Is there someone here that actually uses Homebank? My understanding is the that version in 4.3 is quite old. Technosaurus built the latest some time ago - any one tried the new version? Is there something better? I've heard good things about gnucash and kmymoney but the sfses for those are both rather large.

jemimah

#351 Post by jemimah »

Stripe wrote:
It definatly seems like tags as it is only hapening consitently on certain files, Have you tried a file without any tags? is there a tag editor in fluppy to look at the tags?

as for feedback cups wise after the patch was applied there does not seem to be any difference to me. as for the rest I either have not got the hardware or do not use the software so cannot comment.
Cheers
Stripe
Goggles can edit tags. Or you can download EasyTag for the best tag editing.

Recompiling Xfmedia fixed the issue for so hopefully this will be sorted in Fluppy006.

Roy

#352 Post by Roy »

jemimah,

To be perfectly honest, I have a personal aversion to putting any of my financial info on a computer -- but I tend to travel a lot and encounter most of the pitfalls somewhere along the way (hackers, lost luggage, theft, etc.)

But my own paranoia does not necessarily mean that there aren't people out there who just don't have the tools to do what must be done. Quite the contrary -- I meet a lot of them (and have some empathy for them, as well). And as relatively fixed non-travelers, they usually don't encounter the same situations I find -- or at least, not as often.

I really don't know which programs are better or worse -- but the age of the program itself probably won't matter one whit. Nor will the size, if it is an ,sfs file. I think these young folks need something to track incoming / outgoing / current finances with some way to work out a realistic budget and follow it.

Can you give me a week to play around with some of the options and get back to you?

Does anybody else have any real experience with budgeting software?

-Roy
Last edited by Roy on Thu 09 Sep 2010, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

Stripe

#353 Post by Stripe »

jemimah wrote: Goggles can edit tags. Or you can download EasyTag for the best tag editing.

Recompiling Xfmedia fixed the issue for so hopefully this will be sorted in Fluppy006.
Thanks jemimah
Had a look at a few of the the tags with goggles and they seem fine, great to hear that you have it sorted for 006, I cant find anything else, fprot, all the sfs files that I have tried and advert blocker seem to be working OK (as far as I can tell)

Well done and thank you (anything else just shout)
Stripe

jemimah

#354 Post by jemimah »

Hmm I've fixed xfmedia, but gxine still doesn't work after a recompile. Weird.

rjbrewer

#355 Post by rjbrewer »

jemimah wrote:
Stripe wrote:
rjbrewer wrote: Tried the "Big Buck Bunny" ogg sample; (20mb download).
It plays fine, but can't find a way to get out of Gxine fullscreen
mode once selected.
I use the Esc key, does that not work for you?

Stripe
Also try Ctrl-F
It's not a Gxine problem; happens on my full installs with vlc also.
It's a peculiarity of my laptop, just never noticed it before.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Stripe

#356 Post by Stripe »

Jemimah

Just checked Fluppy 004 and the track information for the troublesome files was not displayed correctly in Gxine just "()"
I never noticed as I just set XFmedia to the default media player (just prefer it that's all)

Hope this helps
Stripe

pemasu

#357 Post by pemasu »

.config/vattery. Is below right way to run script ?

Code: Select all

[percents]
warning=15
critical=5
alert=3

[commands]
warning=Xdialog --title 'Battery Alert' --msgbox 'Battery is very low' 0 0
critical=Xdialog --title 'Battery Alert' --msgbox 'Battery is critically low, will hibernate soon' 0 0
alert=exec hibernate.sh

jemimah

#358 Post by jemimah »

More like:

Code: Select all

[percents] 
warning=15 
critical=5 

[commands] 
warning=Xdialog --title 'Battery Alert' --msgbox 'Battery is very low' 0 0 
critical=/etc/acpi/hibernate.sh 

pemasu