backi

#361 Post by backi »

Hi festus !
Showdown
Show your menu.lst . :lol: :lol: :lol:

fredx181

#362 Post by fredx181 »

Hi peebee,
It currently has one big problem in that the desktop does not reappear after the system has gone into sleep mode after a period of inactivity - the screen is "activated" when the mouse is moved or the keyboard pressed but just displays dark grey - similar behaviour on both desktop and laptop with different graphics drivers....
Didn't try your ISO yet, but did a build exactly like your setup (as you shared) and same problem for me.

For me the problem is the screenlocker !
Not sure why it's like that but pressing ctrl + alt + F7 shows message for a few seconds that the session is locked and then the session can be activated by entering password.
But screenlocker can be disabled, in Desktop Session settings uncheck it.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#363 Post by belham2 »

Hi Festus!

Maybe this will help ya :wink: (Hi Backi!!)

[EDIT: removed the UUID in case someone comes along later and thinks that exact same thing has to be entered :roll: . Better to try and anticipate this stuff]
Attachments
menu-lst-entries-of-all-stretch-builds.jpg
(145.96 KiB) Downloaded 599 times
An-external-IDE-usbdrive-with-frugal-installs.png
(121.54 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
inside-stretch-build3-frugal-folder.png
(44.05 KiB) Downloaded 596 times
inside-subdir-stretch-of-stretch-build3-frugal-folder.png
(82.48 KiB) Downloaded 599 times
Last edited by belham2 on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 19:26, edited 2 times in total.

jd7654

#364 Post by jd7654 »

EDIT: Fred beat me to it.

Aha, I see what you're seeing. I guess I just never left the DebLive alone long enough to see it. It was not the Suspend issue, which is separate problem. It is the screen blanking.

So after I left the system for a while, the screen went blank, but did not recover display. But I tried other vtys ctrl-alt-f2 and they responded. Strange thing is, the DebLive starts out with X on vty1. But I also found it on vty7. So after blanking the X on vty1 is dead, but the one on vty7 works OK. Some straigtening out to do maybe?

As for the blanker, that can be set or disabled with xset command.

festus

#365 Post by festus »

backi wrote:Hi festus !
Showdown
Show your menu.lst . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks, for the reply, backi

My menu.lst only has four regular pups:

Code: Select all

# Frugal installed Puppy

title Puppy manna 6.4.2 (sda2/manna)
  uuid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  kernel /manna/vmlinuz   psubdir=manna pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /manna/initrd.gz

title Puppy lxpup 16.07 (sda2/lxpup16slacko632)
  kernel /lxpup16slacko632/vmlinuz   psubdir=lxpup16slacko632 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /lxpup16slacko632/initrd.gz

title Puppy lx_xenialpup 7.0.8.1 (sda2/lxpupxenial17)
  kernel /lxpupxenial17/vmlinuz   psubdir=lxpupxenial17 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /lxpupxenial17/initrd.gz

title Puppy slacko 6.9.9.9 (sda2/slacko-700)
  kernel /slacko-700/vmlinuz   psubdir=slacko-700 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /slacko-700/initrd.gz
Thanks, belham2, for the info, I'll ponder the settings.

I'm in xenial pup now, so in a little while I'm a gonna try it again, with xorriso & isolinux installed.

Do those steps, in my above post, look like they should work?

Would someone, please, post a grub4dos menu.lst entry for this type of deb-9 scripted pup, that will make a savefolder or the like?

See you all in a couple of hours, festus

fredx181

#366 Post by fredx181 »

jd7654 wrote: Strange thing is, the DebLive starts out with X on vty1. But I also found it on vty7. So after blanking the X on vty1 is dead, but the one on vty7 works OK. Some straigtening out to do maybe?

The lightdm login manager is conflicting with the autologin line in /etc/inittab

1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f root tty6 </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
Can be fixed with:

cp -af /etc/inittab-noauto /etc/inittab
Then:

pkill X
And only lightdm will be used for login.

Fred

fredx181

#367 Post by fredx181 »

@festus

Simple example:
Create folder deblive on ext4 partition
Put the "live" folder from the isodata build folder in deblive, so you get /deblive/live
menu.lst entry:

title DebLive (porteus-boot) save-to-folder /deblive
  kernel /deblive/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/deblive changes=EXIT:/deblive/
  initrd /deblive/live/initrd1.xz
Do those steps, in my above post, look like they should work?
5. mkdir -p stretch/chroot

6. cd stretch
You can skip these steps, the mklive-stretch script does it

Fred

belham2

#368 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:@festus

Simple example:
PFred

Fred. FreD..FRED!

Savefolders s#ck!! :lol: :lol:

Convince your minions to save any & all changes, if they want them, in the "live" folder. Plus those menu.lst entries you taught me are still so utterly alien-speak that even today I still can't understand them even after slamming down a few hefeweizens 8) :shock:

Besides, it's way more fun in "live" when things blow up & the OS goes wonky, as then you've no idea where to begin looking...and hitting the "nuclear-reset" button becomes a grand idea.......hahahahha :wink:

rufwoof

#369 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:
jd7654 wrote: Strange thing is, the DebLive starts out with X on vty1. But I also found it on vty7. So after blanking the X on vty1 is dead, but the one on vty7 works OK. Some straigtening out to do maybe?

The lightdm login manager is conflicting with the autologin line in /etc/inittab

Can be fixed with:

cp -af /etc/inittab-noauto /etc/inittab
Then:

pkill X
And only lightdm will be used for login.

Fred
Or perhaps just remove lightdm? I don't use a dm at all, just have it set to autologin similar to your

and in my .profile I have it set so the auto-logged-in tty1 session runs startx

[ "$(tty)" = "/dev/tty1" ] && exec startx
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

fredx181

#370 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Convince your minions to save any & all changes, if they want them, in the "live" folder.
Why ?

dancytron

#371 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:
belham wrote:Convince your minions to save any & all changes, if they want them, in the "live" folder.
Why ?
Isn't that what causes the conflict of different instances saving changes over each other? Making sure there is a separate folder with a unique path for the changes of each instance prevents that.

jd7654

#372 Post by jd7654 »

peebee wrote:The iso is uploaded to smokey01.com:
LxDD-17.08.1.iso
OK, took a while, but finally downloaded it.

Very nice Peebee! Great example of a relatively complete light distro that can be built from the DebLive build script. Familiar LxPup look and feel, everything seems to work. Never used Light browser before, seems fine, fired up Youtube video, etc. Even includes b43 firmware, thanks. Great start on LxDD.

rufwoof

#373 Post by rufwoof »

save any & all changes, if they want them, in the "live" folder.
I used to use the / folder as a savearea. Even extracted all of filesystem.squashfs to that save space beforehand. Install the standard debian grub to /boot/grub/menu.lst, ensure live-boot is installed, set the partition label to 'persistence' and create a persistence.conf file containing

/ union
... and you can boot that as though a full install, or with persistence persistence-read-only (ro, no changes stored), or just persistence (all changes written to disk as they occur).

As everything is in the save space (partition), you could even remove all of the /live/filesystem.squashfs file content. Or you can leave that and just boot that alone

title Debian FILESYSTEM ONLY
find --set-root /menu.lst
kernel /vmlinuz boot=live quiet splash
initrd /live/initrd.gz

title Debian FULL
configfile /boot/grub/menu-mine.lst
commandline

title Debian persistence changes saved as occur
kernel /vmlinuz boot=live persistence
initrd /initrd.img

title Debian persistence no changes preserved
kernel /vmlinuz boot=live persistence persistence-read-only
initrd /initrd.img

After a while I gave up with those choices and just settled on the FULL choice (pure Debian), created using similar to debootstrap i.e. relatively light (xorg, jwm, pcmanfm base system) ... and back that up using mksquashfs (to around a 650MB sfs filesize) that takes around a minute to create/restore.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

fredx181

#374 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Isn't that what causes the conflict of different instances saving changes over each other? Making sure there is a separate folder with a unique path for the changes of each instance prevents that.
The unique path in my example is /deblive
Assuming that there is no /deblive on another partition, if there is, then it will conflict.
The problem of conflicting occurred most of the time because of the examples we gave with (default) /live on root of the partition.
So we started to advice to create a unique folder name with live folder inside: /unique/live
But then it doesn't matter if you have changes=/unique/ or changes=/unique/live/

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#375 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
belham wrote:Isn't that what causes the conflict of different instances saving changes over each other? Making sure there is a separate folder with a unique path for the changes of each instance prevents that.
The unique path in my example is /deblive
Assuming that there is no /deblive on another partition, if there is, then it will conflict.
The problem of conflicting occurred most of the time because of the examples we gave with (default) /live on root of the partition.
So we started to advice to create a unique folder name with live folder inside: /unique/live
But then it doesn't matter if you have changes=/unique/ or changes=/unique/live/
Fred
Sorry, Fred, my post above was an attempt at Friday evening humor. It failed miserably :oops: I didn't mean to spark a rational, coherent discussion of the merits and faults of any save/changes system. For me, there is zero difference between having the changes put in the /live/ changes folder, or if I had created a savefolder instead. Pickles to cucumbers, as they say. I just happen to like doing it in the live/changes folder, that's all. Again, apologies.

fredx181

#376 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Sorry, Fred, my post above was an attempt at Friday evening humor. It failed miserably Embarassed I didn't mean to spark a rational, coherent discussion of the merits and faults of any save/changes system. For me, there is zero difference between having the changes put in the /live/ changes folder, or if I had created a savefolder instead. Pickles to cucumbers, as they say. I just happen to like doing it in the live/changes folder, that's all. Again, apologies.
No problem, belham :)
I saw your post as a mixture of humor and a serious misunderstanding of how the boot options work.
But I guess I had a serious misunderstanding about your intention :roll:

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#377 Post by fredx181 »

jd7654 wrote:
peebee wrote:The iso is uploaded to smokey01.com:
LxDD-17.08.1.iso
OK, took a while, but finally downloaded it.

Very nice Peebee! Great example of a relatively complete light distro that can be built from the DebLive build script. Familiar LxPup look and feel, everything seems to work. Never used Light browser before, seems fine, fired up Youtube video, etc. Even includes b43 firmware, thanks. Great start on LxDD.
Going to try LxDD ISO later, probably this will fix the screenlock problem:
Extract attached screenlock-fix.tar.gz in the frugal installed live/rootcopy folder. (so becomes rootcopy/etc/)

EDIT: Above worked in the build I did with the build setup from peebee, but not when booting LxDD-17.08.1 from peebee's ISO, so removed attachment.

peebee very nice, your LxDD !!

EDIT: and maybe just disable screenlocker in Desktop Session settings, if you don't want a screenlocker at all

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

festus

#378 Post by festus »

I ran the script on LxPupXenial-17.06.00, this time, after installing xorriso and deps; PPM says xenial already has isolinux installed.

As before all the script building went as it should; it built the "01-filesystem.squashfs"(233.0 MiB), then when it was supposed to make the iso, the ending message on the terminal read:

OK
Finally creating ISO...
xorriso 1.4.2 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.

Drive current: -outdev 'stdio:../DebLive_Stretch-i386.iso'
Media current: stdio file, overwriteable
Media status : is blank
Media summary: 0 sessions, 0 data blocks, 0 data, 2160m free
xorriso : WARNING : -volid text does not comply to ISO 9660 / ECMA 119 rules
Added to ISO image: directory '/'='/mnt/sda6/stretch/isodata'
xorriso : UPDATE : 24 files added in 1 seconds
xorriso : FAILURE : Given path does not exist on disk: -boot_image system_area='/usr/lib/ISOLINUX/isohdpfx.bin'
xorriso : UPDATE : 24 files added in 1 seconds
xorriso : aborting : -abort_on 'FAILURE' encountered 'FAILURE'
FAILED

Finished! If all went well, DebLive_Stretch-i386.iso has been created. 
Also the required files for a frugal install are in isodata 'live' folder 

Have a good day!
All did not go well--there was no iso created. :(

As I asked previously, is there anyway that this stretch folder can be made into an iso manually?

If not, I'll stop with further attempts and maybe download peebee's iso from a few posts back.

btw, this is probably a dumb question, but once in possession of one of "these" iso's, can I unpack it and set it up in a folder like the other frugal pups? If not, how should it be done?

Thanks, again, festus

fredx181

#379 Post by fredx181 »

Hi festus,

You can make a frugal install, the required files are in the stretch/isodata folder, see my post earlier:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 779#964779
Simple example:
Put the "live" folder from the isodata build folder in deblive, so you get /deblive/live
Fred

jd7654

#380 Post by jd7654 »

festus wrote:I ran the script on LxPupXenial-17.06.00, this time, after installing xorriso and deps; PPM says xenial already has isolinux installed.

xorriso : FAILURE : Given path does not exist on disk: -boot_image system_area='/usr/lib/ISOLINUX/isohdpfx.bin'
All did not go well--there was no iso created. :(
The failure is from script expects in Dog Linux:
/usr/lib/ISOLINUX/isohdpfx.bin

But in Puppy Xenial it is:
/usr/share/syslinux/isohdpfx.bin

You can workaround with:

mkdir /usr/lib/ISOLINUX && ln -s /usr/share/syslinux/isohdpfx.bin /usr/lib/ISOLINUX/isohdpfx.bin
Then iso created OK.

Only tried the script in Puppy a few times, and never bothered with the iso creation. Tried in Xenial Pup and it worked with symlink.
Not sure of other Puppy, and in other Linux the location can be different.
festus wrote:As I asked previously, is there anyway that this stretch folder can be made into an iso manually?
Yeah, you could run the xorriso command manually from the script code if you like.