Newyearspup 02 Micro, Mini, Midi, and Maxi RC10

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
playdayz

#361 Post by playdayz »

But when I close winecfg and restart, there is still no version in the box. Usually when I start winecfg the current version of windows is listed in the box. As I said, no big.

MU

#362 Post by MU »

I updated the bugfix for rc10 to rc10c.

bugfix rc10c
- conky displays up to 4 cores
- fix so that Ati/Nvidia controlcenters remember settings, see:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 634#298634

Download:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 750#296750

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

tlchost

Re: pupsave issues

#363 Post by tlchost »

tlchost wrote: In RC10, if I insert my portableapps drive and then remove it after running the windows programs....the system reports multiple errors attempting to write to the savefile on my usb drive that I use solely for the rc10 save files.

It simply will NOT save. Hopefully there's a solution.
Here's what I did to solve the problem:

Booted LiveCD with pupppy pfix=copy and created save file on usb drive
Placed all the pets, pups, scripts, and portable apps on the usb drive with savefile.
Booted LiveCD, added the pups, pets, set up system, Added my scripts to
/root. Rebooted system and saved to USB Drive.

Created Bootable USB using the usb drive that contained the save file, portableapps, etc.

With this configuration I can read/write to a second usb drive and the system correctly writes to usb drive with the save file.

This configuration give me "best of both worlds"...I can use the portableapps on a windows machine, and be able to use the same drive to boot into puppy and use the
portable apps via wine. One big advantage is that the data files are available to either OS with no conversions required.

Thanks Mark....this gives me an "Office in the Box"

Thom

Sage

#364 Post by Sage »

rc10 :
The 'screen-saver' system is weird (as well as the pictures!). I get two varieties superimposed (not literally) - the coloured panels and the weird pictures. One of them can be stopped by mouse action, the other needs 'ESC'.
Setting up the video system has become exceedingly complex - absolutely no chance any neophyte would succeed. For example, if I choose '96', it may give me an 'out-of-range' message depending on which (17" crt) monitor I am using. On a SiS chipset, I cannot use CTRL-ALT-BKSPCE because this causes an immediate hard shutdown (we know about this - same for all Puppies). If I use CTRL-ALT- F1, all sorts of loops start running, initially returning to some or all of the video selection screens, usually ending in lock-up. I don't pretend to understand all this, but it does seem to need sorting out, once and for all. No other distro suffers this level of confusion and failure of the video section. It would be really nice if BK could concentrate on fixing basic issues like this before dabbling with his present pre-occupation with repositories from other distros which probably is irrelevant to the vast majority of putative users. I fear that Puppy is rapidly becoming a lost cause. Slackware got where it is because of the stoic singlemindedness of its creator.

01micko

#365 Post by 01micko »

Hello

I have Sage's problem with having to press 'ESC' to bring back the desktop, an unusual feature.
I have 2 machines with SiS chipsets and AMD processors and do not have the ctrl-alt-bckspce problem... is it an intel thing?

Everything else is so far so good. Soon to test Wine.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#366 Post by 01micko »

Hello Mark

May I make a suggestion? I love all the wallpapers you have included in Midi, however your wall-setter is a little cumbersome. Have you tried Trio's wall setter? It is light and fast and great for all those pics that only have a number to identify them, oh yes it works too! (just tested :wink: )

Also, I am having a problem with deskicons002. It was working fine for me but then I tried out gDesklets, which work fine too, but then I tried to run deskicons again and it got as far as "creating ramdrive ..bla bla" and then nothing. Tried an X restart to no avail. Haven't tried a reboot but I don't want to reboot at all, just testing stability.

All I wanted in deskicons was the slideshow. I ran the command slideshow, but to get a small widget type slideshow I must run it with "-window" option... not a good look.. Is there another way without opening deskicons to run a slideshow? I could use xli, but that is not my preferred solution. If you can help me here I will write a small script with gtkdialog for a gui slideshow app that a user can specify his/her specified image directory and size on screen.

Thankyou

Mick

Sage

#367 Post by Sage »

is it an intel thing
No - I am an AMD user. Several other SiS users report the shutdown issue, both here and on other Fora.

01micko

#368 Post by 01micko »

01micko wrote: Also, I am having a problem with deskicons002. It was working fine for me but then I tried out gDesklets, which work fine too, but then I tried to run deskicons again and it got as far as "creating ramdrive ..bla bla" and then nothing. Tried an X restart to no avail. Haven't tried a reboot but I don't want to reboot at all, just testing stability.
It appears deskicons is trying to work but may be off the screen. I get the flashy terminal icon on the extreme right edge of screen and the menu for it is all but off the screen when I right click it.

@Sage... weird one, eh? One of my boxes is the old IBM k6 and the other is an Asus A7SMX-8X, Athlon 2100+.

Sage

#369 Post by Sage »

What about O10a, o1m?
There are still outstanding issue for Mark, including the eth1 and Full install not saving network settings.

tlchost

#370 Post by tlchost »

Sage wrote:What about O10a, o1m?
There are still outstanding issue for Mark, including the eth1 and Full install not saving network settings.
And perhaps being able to remaster a LiveCD that creates a save file? Not sure if that was fixed yet.

MU

#371 Post by MU »

wallpapersetter includes some customizations to set the background in the different desktops.
So the new one might need fixes, too.
I can't say, when I have time for it.

Deskicons: rightclick one, choose "allow shadows". Now you are able to move them with the mouse and can reach the menu of each icon.
Once you changed the settings for the desired one, then move it to the final location, then choose "forbid shadows" (except you want them, but this is intended as special mode for some desktops only, and looks buggy in others).

Concerning the "technical" problems like remaster problem/network traffic/boot crashes:
I prepared a testversion of the unnamed puplet with kernel 2.6.29.1:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41654

So it is pretty small. Let me know, if it fixes those issues.
If yes, then I would integrate this kernel in NYP next weekend.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

playdayz

Swiftfox Browser

#372 Post by playdayz »

I prepared a little review of Swiftfox browser that I posted in Additional Software. I tested with NYP (of course ;-) So if you are using NYP it might be worth the look.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41670

tlchost

#373 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote: Concerning the "technical" problems like remaster problem/network traffic/boot crashes:
I prepared a testversion of the unnamed puplet with kernel 2.6.29.1:
It's a no-starter here....burned the iso to a dvd...booted up, setup internet, added one script to root, installed one .pet and rebooting, saving to the DVD.

Now system will not mount any usb drives...sees them, but will not mount them.

Thom

MU

#374 Post by MU »

tlchost wrote: Now system will not mount any usb drives...sees them, but will not mount them.
Thom
Please post it in this thread:
We will get very confused, if we deal with issues for that very different puplet here ;)

And please post there what error you get, if you type something like
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
(where sda2 is of course the value of one of your USB drives).
And look with "lsmod", if the USB module are loaded, so if you have such a line:
usbcore 117852 7 uhci_hcd,usbhid,usb_storage,usbkbd,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
Mark

playdayz

Foobar2000 Audio Player for NYP

#375 Post by playdayz »

I prepared a pet of the windows audio player foobar2000 that runs nicely in the wine installed in NewYearsPup. If you have NYP then foobar2000 is only 7MB additional. I tested in NYP. The article and link to the pet are in Additional Software at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 074#302074

Main features

* Supported audio formats: MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, Musepack, Speex, AU, SND... and more with additional components.
* Gapless playback.
* Full unicode support.
* Easily customizable user interface layout.
* Advanced tagging capabilities.
* Support for ripping Audio CDs as well as transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component.
* Full ReplayGain support.
* Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
* Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player.

Sage

#376 Post by Sage »

Unfortunately, none of the suggestions worked. Worse, each change seemed to break more code and it was never possible to edit it back to the original state. I tried to overwrite the system by re-installing, but nothing worked. I had to wipe the disk and do a clean install ! This has become a very complex interwoven offering. Some very strange messages show up during the FULL installation, but it is all working again now, albeit with eth1 default and no saving network settings after a reboot.

tlchost

#377 Post by tlchost »

Sage wrote:all working again now, albeit with eth1 default and no saving network settings after a reboot.
I had a similar problem with Choicepup not saving the network settings....the solution was to copy eth0 from /usr/sbin to /root/Startup Perhaps there is a eth1 file for this distro.

Thom

Sage

#378 Post by Sage »

Always reassuring to know one's not alone! I am reluctant to mess around any more, Thom, as these derivatives seem even more fragile than their origin. Had some nasty experiences trying to mod. NYP, even with Mark's expert guidance. Will probably leave it until he goes gold.

playdayz

Firefox / Flash Full Screen Crashes

#379 Post by playdayz »

I have had this problem watching flash videos. I would click to full screen and crash, everything is gone. I found this in the Swiftfox Support forum and tried it and amazingly, it worked for me on hulu.com. Every time I had clicked full screen on hulu.com, the whole program had crashed and with this fix there was no crash and everything worked as it should. Wow. It worked for me in NewYearsPup.

For people still frustrated with Swiftfox or Firefox crashes when switching a Flash video player in fullscreen mode.
Bug seems to be related with Nvidia drivers + Flash player plugin + Firefox memory management.
This worked for me : try preloading libGL before Swiftfox/Firefox like this:

Code: Select all

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libGL.so.1 swiftfox
(most people would insert firefox or seamonkey instead of swiftfox--but as I said, with this one exception that is now fixed swiftfox has been more stable for me than any other browser)

tlchost

#380 Post by tlchost »

Sage wrote:Always reassuring to know one's not alone!
Yes...it does get lonesome when one is the sole person with the bullsye on the back of the tee-shirt.
I am reluctant to mess around any more, Thom, as these derivatives seem even more fragile than their origin. Had some nasty experiences trying to mod. NYP, even with Mark's expert guidance. Will probably leave it until he goes gold.
While I was waiting for Mark to find the time, I started experimenting with ChoicePup. It does everything I need with the exception of being able to do virtual websites with lampp....I read on either the Apache or Lampp site that it was very difficult to do virtual sites with any Puppy Live-Cd distro.