Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pacer106

#361 Post by pacer106 »

A question from someone with not near enough computer knowledge.

I have been doing some testing of saluki & racy which I believe saluki is based on. Saluki will not connect with my wifi so decided to test out racy & see if it would connect. It did :) so my question is what is different in saluki & racy pertaining to wifi that would cause this?

I am running from live cd. It is how i test all puppy versions. My list of successful wifi connections is very rare with newer puplets including slacko, Guy Dog, Exprimo, & all other dpups including the dpup BK made.

I have a intel pentium 4 (single core) 2.00 GHz cpu With 1025 MB RAM (upgraded recently from 256 MB (had the problem before upgrading RAM as well)

I use a belkin wireless g usb adapter/dongle for wifi through a belkin wireless g router.

I had thought the puplets mentioned above were all just "too new" to use on this old pc but seeing that racy runs just perfect thus far I am at a loss as to why the other puplets are not connecting via wifi.

If anyone needs more info such as logs from wifi connecting failures please let me know I can post logs from each puplet I fail connecting with.
mikeslr

Packages Working & Not

#362 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Tman, jemimah, DaveS and All:

DaveS: Maybe Sfs-Load on the fly wasn't initially there. Not being able to find it on the menu, I installed one I had saved to my hard drive. Still unable to find it on the menu, I perused the Control Panel Tabs for the first time and found it on the System. I assumed I had over-written the "included" version as "Bootmanager" was also not to be found and figured Tman/jemimah must have included one or the other. But then, there's a saying among lawyers: "Never assume --it makes an ass of both u & me."

Folllowing is a report of my experience with Pets and Sfses:
Pfind does not install properly. Search monkey does.
Xsane does not install properly. Peasyscan-1.7 from puppy-common does, but requires sane-backends-1.0..21-1-q1, libgphoto2.2.4.8-q1 and/or libusb1-1.0.8-q1, I'm not sure which. Initially, I installed peasyscan which did not work. Uninstalled it and installed xsane which noted 2, perhaps 3, of the above “required
l2ulinux

Saluki

#363 Post by l2ulinux »

Would someone please tell me why Luki .003 was build this way? I studied all of this and that about what this and that wanted added and taken out.

Some of us do like to be able to download and burn a working CD or DVD.

Downloaded then burn to CD, booted up and it worked, then added programs and tested each to see if they worked. Well so far all was great, saved all to CD and when rebooted it came up with no problem at that point. Only half of the programs would work.

Please build a CD like Luki .002 are Saluki .002 they are a lot of fun to use.
pemasu

#364 Post by pemasu »

pacer106. What is the kernel module you are using in those other puplets where your usb wireless works. You can check it easily from SNS (simple network setup), when you click the connect and have choosed SNS as connection app, you see in the first page the information of your devices, under driver tab you see what wireless has been loaded.

Post that driver information. As example, for me, there is ath9k.
Dmesg in console, after inserting that usb dongle, you get also information. You could cut and post rows concerning your wirelesss.

If I have missed some wireless modules, it easier to trace them when I know what I am looking for. I am too lazy to search your comp and wireless specs from the net.

Missing modules is easy to add. I dont have to create new kernel. I just compile the kernel again with those added modules and then I grap the new modules and add them to the kernel pet and I can post them as additional, installable pet also.
Tman

Re: Saluki

#365 Post by Tman »

l2ulinux wrote:Would someone please tell me why Luki .003 was build this way?
Luki003 was a test for Jemimah's modular-build system, which separate the base files from additional apps. Don't worry, future releases will have addittional apps included inside a new sfs file.

And thank you, :) Pemasu for building us the new non-PAE kernel.
pacer106

#366 Post by pacer106 »

Thanks for the quick reply pemasu :)

The driver that is loaded by racy 522 is rt73usb i think. I found it on SNS The entire line is: interface = wlan, type = wireless, driver = rt73usb, bus = usb, & description = ralink rt73 usb wireless LAN driver.

If there is a simple fix what would I need to do to add it to other puplets that do not connect through wifi?

Again thanks for replying :)
pemasu

#367 Post by pemasu »

Pacer106. rt73usb.ko is surely included. I believe that the reason could be the zdrive.sfs which has all the extra modules comps might need.
The module or firmware /lib/modules/all-firmware/rt2x00/lib/firmware/rt73.bin Is possibly not loaded right.
I suggest you to try inserting the usb module before you boot, so that the rt73usb.ko is loaded from the zdrive.sfs during booting.

I really dont know much about the zdrive.sfs functionality, I havent used it much. So I am shooting to the dark.

After bootup, in console: depmod, then rmmod rt73usb, then modprobe rt73usb
After that check from SNS, have you been succesful. If not....post the dmesg findings of your wireless.

EDIT. I assume you are speaking of Saluki-003 test version.
pacer106

#368 Post by pacer106 »

Thanks for checking it out pemasu.

I never remove the usb module so that suggestion will not help.

I also get an error on puplets that will not connect saying something about dhcp.

I will see about getting some logs for comparing that aspect of my connection issue with newer puplets.
l2ulinux

Saluki

#369 Post by l2ulinux »

Thank you Tman for your reply back about Luki .003.

Good idea why not leave Luki as the test version as it is now and build Saluki version as the full CD.

I know Luki and Saluki are the same but the way that Luki .002 and Saluki .002 were released just leave it way.
mikeslr

Luki-003: more exploration

#370 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Tman, jemimah & all:

Notes on apps involving graphics & video. Hopefully, they will save app creator's time in building apps which work.
Gimp-2.7.1-1-wary.sfs fails to load.
Gimp (not wary>sorry changed its name for my convenience) loads, but does not run.
Seems above only to be missing libdbus-1.so.3. PPM can't find it. Neither can google.

Gimp-2.6.3-i486-dpup from Puppy-5 misses libwmf-0.2.so.7 & libwmflite-0.2.so.7
Gimp-2.6.8-i686-dpup from Puppy-5 misses above and libdbus-1.so.3

Not having a menu entry for PPM is extremely inconvenient during exploration/testing apps. Should be included in Alphas & Betas – left out in final.

Gave up and installed mtpaint. Also installed Gimp XP Portable which runs under wine. Really not adequate substitutes for a Linux version of Gimp.

I haven't been able to find a video player which functioned. I ran across one –I forget which, I think one of the vlc's-- that ran and generated sound, but apparently lacked codecs for any of my test videos. Odd if it was a vlc as I thought they provided their own codec. But XP portable vlc produced the same result. I tried adding ffmpeg prior to using one of the Linux video players, but perhaps it was too old or the wrong player (i.e., wouldn't work regardless). Perhaps xp portable vlc could be made to work if codecs were installed to wine via winetricks. But that seemed too much work to generate a system only I would use. A nooby would expect to be able to obtain a functioning Linux video player.

Addendum: Having changed the sfs which start at boot, the desktop icons which I always remove reappeared. I now realize that I shouldn't have removed them so quickly as they facilitate testing. But ppm still needs a menu entry during testing.

mikesLr
Billtoo

Re: Luki-003: more exploration

#371 Post by Billtoo »

mikeslr wrote: I haven't been able to find a video player which functioned. I ran across one –I forget which, I think one of the vlc's-- that ran and generated sound, but apparently lacked codecs for any of my test videos. Odd if it was a vlc as I thought they provided their own codec. But XP portable vlc produced the same result. I tried adding ffmpeg prior to using one of the Linux video players, but perhaps it was too old or the wrong player (i.e., wouldn't work regardless). Perhaps xp portable vlc could be made to work if codecs were installed to wine via winetricks. But that seemed too much work to generate a system only I would use. A nooby would expect to be able to obtain a functioning Linux video player.
mikesLr
I'm not having much luck with video players either but xine will play a dvd movie, it's in the sfs I posted on page 13 of this thread.
Attachments
xinescrn.jpg
(148.46 KiB) Downloaded 1090 times
Billtoo

Saluki

#372 Post by Billtoo »

I did a frugal install to an Acer desktop pc.
I installed devx_luki_003.sfs + kernel_src-2.6.39-ski-4-patched.sfs +
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run
Sun 18 Dec 2011 Operating System: Saluki-003 Linux 2.6.39-ski
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84[GeForce 8600 GT](rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 290.10

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600
Core 0: 1603 1: 1603 2: 1603 3: 1603 MHz
# glxgears
50632 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10126.210 FPS
50662 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10132.365 FPS
50647 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10129.290 FPS

I installed xineplus-racy-i686.sfs,SDL-1.2.14-i686.pet,SDL_DEV-1.2.14-i686.pet,
yasm-1.1.0-i686.pet,yasm_DEV-1.1.0-i686.pet,SDL_net-1.2.7-i686.pet,
SDL_net_DEV-1.2.7-i686.pet,dosbox-0.74-i686.pet,seamonkey-2.5-racy-i686.pet
and I compiled ffmpeg-0.9.tar.bz2 with ./configure --prefix=/usr
--enable-nonfree --enable-ffplay
ffplay plays lots of video formats from the command line or from
within midnight commander or emelfm2 file managers.
Xine plays audio cds and dvd movies,Goggles plays mp3's etc.
I got mtpaint from ppm.

It's working nice,fast and stable. I don't print stuff, or do spreadsheets etc.
so this pup works for me :)
Thanks.
Attachments
ffplayscrn.jpg
(120.74 KiB) Downloaded 984 times
rjbrewer

#373 Post by rjbrewer »

003 doesn't have the i810 module in Xorg setup.
It's necessary for best graphics setup in laptops that have
intel 855gme graphics chip.

Otherwise; a fast and beautiful system.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs
jemimah

#374 Post by jemimah »

Are you sure it's not there?

Code: Select all

cd /usr/X11
# find . -name "i810*"
./lib/dri/i810_dri.so
This is a pretty standard woof build. I didn't muck around with xorg.

I only rolled back gtk per Barry's suggestion about fixing GSEAL errors. Apparently the older version has that combotext bug, though. I probably have that sorted by the next release.
Tman

#375 Post by Tman »

For those having problems installing apps, I have created a pet which combines many apps and some libs included in a standard Puppy. -> luki003_extras_0.1.pet
MD5 checksum: deb220e0f7e9718c73705c60edc48bbe

Also, here is a list file of what is in the pet: luki003_extras_0.1.txt
Last edited by Tman on Sun 22 Jan 2012, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
rjbrewer

#376 Post by rjbrewer »

jemimah wrote:Are you sure it's not there?

Code: Select all

cd /usr/X11
# find . -name "i810*"
./lib/dri/i810_dri.so
This is a pretty standard woof build. I didn't muck around with xorg.

I only rolled back gtk per Barry's suggestion about fixing GSEAL errors. Apparently the older version has that combotext bug, though. I probably have that sorted by the next release.
Yes; found it in/lib/dri/i810_dri.so.

It just doesn't show in the choose column when setting up
X.

Seems to be missing from Racy.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs
Billtoo

Saluki

#377 Post by Billtoo »

I added a couple of more pets to my frugal luki 003, grub4dos and
SFS-Load on-the-fly, and removed the kernel source sfs but left the
xineplus and devx sfs files, then remastered the live cd.
It created an iso 309 mb in size which I burned to a dvd and then used
to do a full install.
I chose not to customize for this computer when asked in the remaster
script but I just had to run xorgwizard and choose the nvidia driver
and my proprietary Nvidia driver was back.
I had to run SNS to get the wireless connection setup again.
All the stuff that I added before remastering works fine, my jwm
settings and holiday wallpaper even.

Anyhow, it all works like it should :)
Attachments
lukiscrn.jpg
(144.71 KiB) Downloaded 3377 times
futwerk

#378 Post by futwerk »

Thanks, Jemimah, I am glad you like them, I have made a few more backgrounds.
Attachments
pupdc18,5.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(68.06 KiB) Downloaded 2170 times
pupdc18,4.png
(85.1 KiB) Downloaded 2153 times
pupdc18,1.jpg
(33.28 KiB) Downloaded 2198 times
Billtoo

Saluki

#379 Post by Billtoo »

I took the Google_Earth-6.0.3.2197-lucid525.pet and converted it to
Google_Earth-6.0.3.2197-luki.sfs, much to my surprise it works!
The size of the sfs is approx 34mb.

I have the proprietary nvidia driver installed so it likely needs that
or the proprietary ati driver installed if your pc has an ati card in
it.

The download link is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-a5a90a31.html

EDIT:I tested it in Saluki on a pc with an ati hd card and the proprietary driver and it worked great.
Definately needs hardware accelerated graphics.

Works in Racy 5.2.2,Slacko 531,and Lucid 528.004.
Attachments
GEscrn.jpg
(143.46 KiB) Downloaded 2019 times
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#380 Post by Lobster »

Luki003 was a test for Jemimah's modular-build system, which separate the base files from additional apps. Don't worry, future releases will have additional apps included inside a new sfs file.
Please let us hungry dogs know what is happening with 004?
The bare bones modular base of 003 seems to have worked OK (did for me)
Recently tried putting a xmas hat on the Saluki dog. I went back to the SVG files. The truth is our logos and artwork is now of such high quality that it exposes my amateur efforts. I abandoned the hat idea :oops:

I also sent a version of a 'xpupsay intro' to Jemimah and tman, which I think is a good way of introducing new features during development. Pemasu uses xpupsay effectively in his derivatives.

Thanks guys :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D