Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#381 Post by fredx181 »

@all

Made some small changes:
- When accidentally trying to use not supported parameter(e.g. if made typo) e.g. ./mklive-stretch cli (should be -cli), the helptext will show now (previously started the build, but didn't run as it should)
- Now creates also build_setup.conf in the stretch folder (ready to use as config file)

mklive-stretch script (right-click > Save link as and make executable)

Fred

fredx181

#382 Post by fredx181 »

jd7654 wrote:EDIT: The script makes a plain vanilla Dog or BasicDog. Then the builder can add customizations, eye candy and extra files, like what I assume Peebee added for LxDD. Right now that would be manual or scripted edit to chroot.
Future script (or fork) could maybe automate pulling in local (not in repos) distro customization files before final stage sfs creation.
The way Peebee did his magic :) was by creating .squashfs modules in isodata/live/modules with configs and extra applications.
The main 01.filesystem.squashfs build he hasn't altered AFAIK
I'm not sure what could be changed in the script to do such things automatic, anyway it can be done manually now by adding files to the chroot or to add .squashfs modules to isodata/live/modules

Fred

festus

#383 Post by festus »

fredx181 wrote:
Simple example:
Create folder deblive on ext4 partition
Put the "live" folder from the isodata build folder in deblive, so you get /deblive/live
Fred
Hi, Fred, thank you the above worked. I am using the debian-9-live_Stretch now. It works well.

I haven't used debian since the 7 & 8 builds, so I have to dig out my old documentation and notes.

I can't find a way, or remember how to set the clock & timezone; can anyone shed some light on how to?

@jd7654
Thanks for the info. I'll try it if I use the script again from a pup.

Does the script run as it's supposed to, using it from the debian-9-live_Stretch build?

bliss, festus :)

wiak

#384 Post by wiak »

festus wrote: I can't find a way, or remember how to set the clock & timezone; can anyone shed some light on how to?
Lots of info (and different methods including ntp) around this post here (which is what I do):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 657#928657

now also found this (has more detail):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 544#941544
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 581#941581

wiak

festus

#385 Post by festus »

wiak wrote:Lots of info (and different methods including ntp) around this post here (which is what I do):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 657#928657

now also found this (has more detail):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 544#941544
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 581#941581

wiak
I'm a thanking you, wiak, for my clock/tz is now set.

I used these cmds:

Code: Select all

change your time zone settings with this command:

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

To let your system read RTC time in UTC standard, execute the following command:

timedatectl set-local-rtc 0
bliss, festus

belham2

#386 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
jd7654 wrote:EDIT: The script makes a plain vanilla Dog or BasicDog. Then the builder can add customizations, eye candy and extra files, like what I assume Peebee added for LxDD. Right now that would be manual or scripted edit to chroot.
Future script (or fork) could maybe automate pulling in local (not in repos) distro customization files before final stage sfs creation.
The way Peebee did his magic :) was by creating .squashfs modules in isodata/live/modules with configs and extra applications.
The main 01.filesystem.squashfs build he hasn't altered AFAIK
I'm not sure what could be changed in the script to do such things automatic, anyway it can be done manually now by adding files to the chroot or to add .squashfs modules to isodata/live/modules

Fred
Hi Fred,

Can I ask a dumb question?

Why is it, when we create a .sfs out of something we want, we have to rename it to ".squashfs" before it goes into the modules folder? Last week, i threw two .sfs files into the isodata/live/modules folder for one of the builds, the full LXDE I did (basically same as peebee but without the background and a few things) and I was perplexed why they didn't load like the "ReadMe" in there said. Isn't ".sfs" and "squashfs" the same thing? Or am I misunderstanding something??

rufwoof

#387 Post by rufwoof »

Because under Debian the init code scans for .squashfs files ... and loads them in alphanumeric sorted order ... hence the dogs tend to use 01- 02- ... type filename prefixes.

If there is a /live/filesystem.module file then that takes precedence and only the squashfs files listed in that file (one per line) will be loaded, in the order presented in that file.

Reference man live-boot for further details
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

fredx181

#388 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Why is it, when we create a .sfs out of something we want, we have to rename it to ".squashfs" before it goes into the modules folder? Last week, i threw two .sfs files into the isodata/live/modules folder for one of the builds, the full LXDE I did (basically same as peebee but without the background and a few things) and I was perplexed why they didn't load like the "ReadMe" in there said. Isn't ".sfs" and "squashfs" the same thing? Or am I misunderstanding something??
Yes, same thing but, as rufwoof says already, the script in the intrd looks for extension .squashfs.
But (as you might know) for loading on the fly .squashfs and .sfs extension is supported.

Fred

fredx181

#389 Post by fredx181 »

festus wrote:Does the script run as it's supposed to, using it from the debian-9-live_Stretch build?
Yes, sure it does, no LD_LIBRARY_PATH trick needed (like you did on Puppy), ISO creation should work.

Fred

festus

#390 Post by festus »

fredx181 wrote:
festus wrote:Does the script run as it's supposed to, using it from the debian-9-live_Stretch build?
Yes, sure it does, no LD_LIBRARY_PATH trick needed (like you did on Puppy), ISO creation should work.

Fred
Great news. In a few days, if I have the opportunity, I'll run it from stretch.

The longer I use stretch, the more I like it.

Thank you, Fred

bliss,
festus

jd7654

#391 Post by jd7654 »

fredx181 wrote:The good thing about the new mklive-stretch setup with use of config file is that we can share configs that work directly.

Ok, I begin... :)
As a start here's peebee's LxDD setup I transformed (for now) to a working config file, attached lxdd.conf (remove fake .gz)
Run with -cli or -gui , for cli :

./mklive-stretch -cli lxdd.conf
Small issue, specifically with this config, but could be more general issue:

This config loaded in script fails if run from 64-bit host. Only because of wrong package gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 instead of 1.0.6.
To fix, either select FORCE32 or change package to gnome-mplayer-1.0.6 instead.

So the config doesn't state whether it is for i686 or x86_64, it only shows if FORCE32 was in effect.
Instead, the script could alter the config to show ARCH, with Yad selecting ARCH from dropdown box, and 32-bit hosts not given the 64-bit option.(and move up the uname/ARCH detection)

Don't know if this would be an issue in the future with 32/64-bit package differences or if this is a worthwhile change, just a note.

festus

cups printing issue

#392 Post by festus »

Hello, everyone

I can't get my printer, HP-Envy-5530, setup. It seems to me that cups isn't installed or not like it should be.

I installed, hplip_print_scan-3.16.11.pet, with pet2stretch, then went to http://localhost:631and got this message:

Here is the cups-locations:

Any ideas?

Thanks for helping,
festus :)
Attachments
cups_locations.jpg
(56.02 KiB) Downloaded 1044 times
cups_localhost-631-error.jpg
(28.15 KiB) Downloaded 1058 times

dancytron

#393 Post by dancytron »

Festus

Type "cups start" in terminal and try again or maybe "service cups restart".

fredx181

#394 Post by fredx181 »

jd7654 wrote:This config loaded in script fails if run from 64-bit host. Only because of wrong package gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 instead of 1.0.6.
To fix, either select FORCE32 or change package to gnome-mplayer-1.0.6 instead.

So the config doesn't state whether it is for i686 or x86_64, it only shows if FORCE32 was in effect.
Instead, the script could alter the config to show ARCH, with Yad selecting ARCH from dropdown box, and 32-bit hosts not given the 64-bit option.(and move up the uname/ARCH detection)
Yes, good point, it's a complicated thing, I can make it so that the generated build_setup.conf shows if it's a i386 or amd64 build (or something like that)
To replace FORCE32=... with ARCH=... (I understand that's your suggestion, correct me if I'm wrong) would be another option, difficult to do, but probably good solution, not sure though.
Btw, there's (only) one more package with the version in its name, that is transmission (2.31 for 32bit and 2.60 for 64bit)

The best would be to change name of e.g gnome-mplayer-<version> to just gnome-mplayer but that has other consequences (some other custom dog packages depend on it)

Fred

Rangan Masti

#395 Post by Rangan Masti »

Hi, good morning.
i was able to creat both 32 bit and 64 bit live iso using mklive-stretch -cli lxdd.conf. Good work. Trying to include devx. Have a good day.

Rangan

rcrsn51

Re: cups printing issue

#396 Post by rcrsn51 »

festus wrote:I can't get my printer, HP-Envy-5530, setup. It seems to me that cups isn't installed or not like it should be.

apt-get update
apt-get install cups
Run pet2stretch again and check for missing dependencies. IIRC, hplip needs something like libjpeg8.

apt-get install libjpeg8
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#397 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is CamPhoneTab from here. Look for it in the Accessories menu.

The default dependencies are: gphoto2, gphotofs, jmtpfs, mtp-tools.

The iDevice option is untested and probably needs work, so I have left it off the Depends list. To access iDevices, you will need these additional packages: ifuse, usbmuxd, libimobiledevice-utils

Hint: On many Android devices, there is a standard procedure to enable USB downloads:
1. Swipe down on the notification bar.
2. Select the USB connection dialog.
3. Select PTP or MTP mode.

--------------------
Attachments
camphonetab_1.6-3_all.deb.gz
Updated 2019-11-20
Remove the fake .gz extension
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
snappie.png
(6.36 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
camphonetab_1.6-1.deb.gz
Updated 2018-04-05
Minor changes to the user interface
(3.44 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 24 Nov 2019, 19:29, edited 14 times in total.

festus

Re: cups printing issue

#398 Post by festus »

rcrsn51 wrote:
festus wrote:I can't get my printer, HP-Envy-5530, setup. It seems to me that cups isn't installed or not like it should be.

apt-get update
apt-get install cups
Run pet2stretch again and check for missing dependencies. IIRC, hplip needs something like libjpeg8.

apt-get install lijpeg8
Thank you, oh so very much, the printing problem is solved.

hplip was missing libjpeg.so.8 & the install fixed it.

btw, at first apt-get wouldn't install libjpeg8, so I looked at the cmd again & I saw that it was misspelled in your last code

bliss, festus

jd7654

#399 Post by jd7654 »

fredx181 wrote:Yes, good point, it's a complicated thing, I can make it so that the generated build_setup.conf shows if it's a i386 or amd64 build (or something like that)
To replace FORCE32=... with ARCH=... (I understand that's your suggestion, correct me if I'm wrong) would be another option, difficult to do, but probably good solution, not sure though.
Btw, there's (only) one more package with the version in its name, that is transmission (2.31 for 32bit and 2.60 for 64bit)
So if this is just a single case issue, you may not want to spend that much time on any changes.

Actually, I found out the gnome-mplayer doesn't work properly anyway, at least on the machines I've tried. It doesn't seem to do full screen resize, but I may be missing something.

Not familiar with the packages and why installing mpv acts as the parent package and also installs mplayer and gnome-mplayer, usually it is the other way around. But I ran into a conflict with chromium and mpv cause script to fail, so that's why I tried just gnome-mplayer package, which installed mplayer but not mpv. But since that didn't work right, I tried smplayer instead, which also installed mplayer but not mpv, but that works correctly with full screen resize. Strange. If mpv installed with firefox then gnome-mplayer worked properly.

Another option tried, vlc installs but I guess I need a workaround for running as root?

peebee

#400 Post by peebee »

I've uploaded a replacement zz-lxdd-config-1708.squashfs which should replace the version in /live/modules obtained from the LxDD-17.08.1.iso

Not really sure why light-locker caused the permanent screen blanking problem but in the new .squashfs it is disabled (as is lightdm so there is no tty7 desktop - tty2 is still there and the root password is toor if you need to login).

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64