Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fredx181

#3961 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

Here's to experiment, gnome-mplayer-1.0.7.deb with yad message from prerm script, it seems to work well.
Don't take the message seriously, I was in kidding mood :)

https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... 0_i386.deb

Edit: Probably made mistake, this one doesn't install, re-upload later.
Edit2: anyway didn't change/reupload, just the same url, don't know what happened, something to check with sure , has to do with mplayer/mplayer2.
End of the day now :)

Fred

saintless

#3962 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Here's to experiment, gnome-mplayer-1.0.7.deb with yad message from prerm script, it seems to work well.
Hi, Fred!

I like it :) But I have few questions about Control file:

Code: Select all

Conflicts: gmplayer, mplayer, mplayer2, gnome-mplayer, gmplayer-portable, gnome-mplayer-1.0.7
Replaces: gmplayer, mplayer, mplayer2, gnome-mplayer, gmplayer-portable
Both mplayer and mplayer2 can be installed by default with apt-get without conflicting each other. But we have actually mplayer2 in gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 (just the name is changed to mplayer). I guess it is best to keep both as conflicting packages in gnome-mplayer-1.0.7. Just asking for your opinion about this.

gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 is added in Conflicts: line. It works but I think it should be removed from Conflicts: line.

We need to add yad as dependency in packages using yad in prerm script. Otherwise if yad is uninstalled the package can not be removed and alternative deb from official repository as mplayer can not be installed:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gnome-mplayer-1.0.7*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 50 not upgraded.
After this operation, 9728 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 29019 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 ...
Link does not exists.
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gnome-mplayer-1.0.7.prerm: line 17: yad: command not found
dpkg: error processing gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 (--purge):
 subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
/opt/bin is in PATH

###  NEW:

###  DEL:

stdin: is not a tty
Errors were encountered while processing:
 gnome-mplayer-1.0.7
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I'm sure nobody will remove yad from DD bu it will be best to add yad as dependency if prerm scripts has yad message included.
I will do more testing tonight.

Edit: Do we need to use in control Provides: gnome-mplayer-1.0.7. I think we have few more packages like this with unique names like gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 containing Provides: package-name. I think unique names like gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 are not dependency of any package and we do not need to use Provides: line.
Or we should change it to Provides: mplayer for example?

Toni

fredx181

#3963 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

When official gnome-mplayer is installed, I just found out that this works well (when installing with dpkg -i):

Conflicts: gmplayer, gnome-mplayer, mplayer2, mplayer, gmplayer-portable
Replaces: gmplayer, gnome-mplayer, mplayer2, mplayer, gmplayer-portable
And this doesn't:

Conflicts: gmplayer, mplayer2, mplayer, gnome-mplayer, gmplayer-portable
Replaces: gmplayer, mplayer2, mplayer, gnome-mplayer, gmplayer-portable
So it seems that the order is important (in this case gnome-mplayer needs to be before mplayer2, otherwise dpkg refuses to uninstall mplayer2).

I guess it is best to keep both as conflicting packages in gnome-mplayer-1.0.7.
yes,I think also.
gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 is added in Conflicts: line. It works but I think it should be removed from Conflicts: line.
Yes, it's mistake, it was kinda late yesterday.
We need to add yad as dependency in packages using yad in prerm script. Otherwise if yad is uninstalled the package can not be removed and alternative deb from official repository as mplayer can not be installed:
Yes, we can, but can also use xmessage like this maybe:

if [ -n `which xmessage` ]; then
msg="We are sorry to see you go! \nIn case you changed your mind, download:\nhttp://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/Included/gnome-mplayer-1.0.7.deb "
xmessage "`echo -e $msg`" &
fi
Note the '&', I think it's good because the installing continues while the message displays.
Please change the text to how you like it.
Or we should change it to Provides: mplayer for example?
I guess that's good (or just remove the Provides line)

Edit:
1. Most people will use Synaptic instead apt-get and with activated DD repository sooner or later the problem will appear.
Solution - We can use startup script in DD for Synaptic with popup message what is the solution (+ adding post in howto thread about this reload and unselect all workarounds).
Thinking more about it I feel also for this solution.
Only thing I'm in doubt of is starting synaptic with popup message, isn't it overdone for just a few packages? (and as I said, first time switching works well)
I think adding post in howto thread about this "reload and unselect all" workarounds is enough.

Fred

saintless

#3964 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
When official gnome-mplayer is installed, I just found out that this works well (when installing with dpkg -i):

Conflicts: gmplayer, gnome-mplayer, mplayer2, mplayer, gmplayer-portable
Replaces: gmplayer, gnome-mplayer, mplayer2, mplayer, gmplayer-portable
And this doesn't:

Conflicts: gmplayer, mplayer2, mplayer, gnome-mplayer, gmplayer-portable
Replaces: gmplayer, mplayer2, mplayer, gnome-mplayer, gmplayer-portable
So it seems that the order is important (in this case gnome-mplayer needs to be before mplayer2, otherwise dpkg refuses to uninstall mplayer2).
Good to know this for new packages. I will change it in gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 deb.
Thinking more about it I feel also for this solution.
Only thing I'm in doubt of is starting synaptic with popup message, isn't it overdone for just a few packages? (and as I said, first time switching works well)
I think adding post in howto thread about this "reload and unselect all" workarounds is enough.
Yes, it could be enough to post it in howto thread only and leave all packages available in DD repository. If someone gets the Synaptick broken package problem even without reading the solution it will be fixed anyway after restarting synaptic.

For now we can leave all packages in DD repo and add post about the Synaptic workaround in howto thread (when the repository is available in next DD update).

We have backup plan to use message in prerm script and xmessage will be better and universal choice. We don't even need to add x11-utils as dependency because x11-utils is already part of any debian system. Especially with this probbing "which xmessage" line in your example.

Toni

saintless

#3965 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Uploaded some more packages. I think almost all from included packages are moded for testing. Your yad prerm script is not included yet (maybe we will not use it if we keep all packages available in DD repository - this is what you prefer also If I do not mistake).

One question about ktsuss:
In Jwm I use ktsuss_1.4-1_i386.deb. It works for RemasterDog started as puppy user for example cleaning /home/puppy personal settings files.
I also keep the binary renamed /opt/bin/ktsuss2 from ktsuss-2.0-0_i386.deb which changes /home/puppy to /root for RemasterDog started as puppy user (I keep it just in case it is needed sometimes).
In OpenBox /usr/bin/ktsuss is different smaller file (I do not have it as deb).
Any suggestions which one to keep in DD repository? We need to do the same replaces method as for filemnt- if we keep more than one.
I suggest to keep ktsuss_1.4-1_i386.deb in repository and other ktsuss debs inside zip archive with text file what is the difference).

Edit: Forgot to add we have one more ktsuss from you here using user password instead root.

Edit2: BTW pfilesearch is removed from Pburn and added dependency pfind in control. Pfind has pfilesearch included. I need to test it properly first but it should work this way.
Any objections to keep Pburn with dependency Pfind instead duplicate pfilesearch files in Pfind and Pburn?
Toni

fredx181

#3966 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Uploaded some more packages. I think almost all from included packages are moded for testing. Your yad prerm script is not included yet (maybe we will not use it if we keep all packages available in DD repository - this is what you prefer also If I do not mistake
Yes, I prefer all packages available in DD but only if you agree, after all it's your 'project' to make all DD packages compatible with official Debian.
One question about ktsuss:
In Jwm I use ktsuss_1.4-1_i386.deb. It works for RemasterDog started as puppy user for example cleaning /home/puppy personal settings files.
I also keep the binary renamed /opt/bin/ktsuss2 from ktsuss-2.0-0_i386.deb which changes /home/puppy to /root for RemasterDog started as puppy user (I keep it just in case it is needed sometimes).
In OpenBox /usr/bin/ktsuss is different smaller file (I do not have it as deb).
I don't know but does your edit mean you figured it out?
Edit: Forgot to add we have one more ktsuss from you here using user password instead root.
Any objections to keep Pburn with dependency Pfind instead duplicate pfilesearch files in Pfind and Pburn?
No objections.

Here's a little script to better determine dependency library packages of an executable.
It works similar to "ldd /path/to/binary" with these differences:
- only direct dependencies are displayed (ldd shows also dependencies of dependencies .... and so on)
- using apt-file the package-name corresponding with the library is displayed.

For example output of /usr/bin/gtkdialog:

root@dog:/mnt/sda2# ./libsearch /usr/bin/gtkdialog
This script can be used to find the (library) dependency package names of a binary.
Similar to 'ldd /path/to/binary' with the difference that it shows also packages names (using apt-file)
instead of only /path/to/*.so, e.g. libc.so.6 shows also: libc6.
libgtk2.0-0: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
libgtk2.0-0: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
libglib2.0-0: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0
libglib2.0-0: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0
libglib2.0-0: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
libglib2.0-0: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgthread-2.0.so.0
libglade2-0: /usr/lib/libglade-2.0.so.0
libc6: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0
libc6: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
Results are stored in 'gtkdialog-liblist'
root@dog:/mnt/sda2# 
It depends on readelf (part of binutils, included it in the attached libsearch.tar.gz) and on apt-file.

Edit: Some more about difference between using ldd or this script:
As I note above: ldd shows the dependencies of dependencies... , which IMO is not needed because these will be satisfied already by the package-management.
I think the packages names outcome from the script will be perfectly ok to use on the Depends: line of control file.

Fred
Attachments
libsearch.tar.gz
Determine dependencies of an executable
(138.34 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

saintless

#3967 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:Yes, I prefer all packages available in DD but only if you agree, after all it's your 'project' to make all DD packages compatible with official Debian.
I agree. I don't think all packages will work on standard Debian but I need to make sure after installing in standard Debian some package from DD will not break dpkg.

About ktsuss my edit means we have 4 instaed 3 ktsuss packages. I think it is best to keep one available for download and to have the same ktsuss in both DD versions. I will do some testing with all ktsuss.
Here's a little script to better determine dependency library packages of an executable.
Thanks, it makes finding dependencies easier. Added in /usr/local/bin inside 09-apt-file-debdir-aptitude.squashfs here (use right click save link as to download):
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... e.squashfs

Toni

fredx181

#3968 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

For the gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 package: from the results of libsearch script I made the following Depends line:

Depends: dbus-x11, libasound2, libatk1.0-0, libc6, libcairo2, libdbus-1-3, libdbus-glib-1-2, libfontconfig1, libfreetype6, libfribidi0, libgtk2.0-bin, hicolor-icon-theme, libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0, libglib2.0-0, libnotify4, libpango1.0-0, libpng12-0, libx11-6, libxext6, libxinerama1, libxss1, libxv1, libdconf0, libdconf-dbus-1-0, dconf-gsettings-backend
That's a big difference to how it is now!
Most additions come from /opt/bin/mplayer dependencies, for example libfribidi0, which is a 'real' dependency.
Mplayer doesn't work without it.
I know it's a lot of work to make all Depends: lines right but I think it's important and since we are changing lots of packages anyway it's worth the effort.

Fred

saintless

#3969 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:I know it's a lot of work to make all Depends: lines right but I think it's important and since we are changing lots of packages anyway it's worth the effort.
I agree, Fred. I know it will take time and a lot of work but it is better to prevent problems from not properly builded packages instead fixing new found conflicting files all the time. I will check the packages again tonight and tomorrow.

Toni

fredx181

#3970 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Thanks!

A little tip I wanted to give you already earlier:
To test package(s) from custom repo, it's easier to use the local repo, e.g. /media/sda1/tmp
Then in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb file:/media/sda1/tmp/ ./
It will save you from the trouble to upload files everytime to smokey01.com

Can I do something to lighten your tasks?

Fred

saintless

#3971 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:A little tip I wanted to give you already earlier:
To test package(s) from custom repo, it's easier to use the local repo, e.g. /media/sda1/tmp
Then in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb file:/media/sda1/tmp/ ./
It will save you from the trouble to upload files everytime to smokey01.com
Thanks, Fred! I will keep it in mind.
Testing repository checked and the packages reuploaded after running libsearch script.
I think zenity-portable has in control few dependencies more than needed (according to libsearch result) but I left them all.
Also desktop-drive-icons has already included libgtk2.0-bin (which is missing from libsearch output). I think we should keep all dependencies to be on the safe side.
Can I do something to lighten your tasks?
Thanks, you already helped me much with apt-file-deb-search and libsearch scripts, Fred. Both will save a lot of time and typing commands :)
I will continue testing in standard Debian and after that in DebianDog and keep posting the problems here asking for help.

Toni

fredx181

#3972 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I think zenity-portable has in control few dependencies more than needed (according to libsearch result) but I left them all.
Yes, at that moment I thought it would be best to copy from yad Depends: line, it should be ok, indeed better (a little) to much.
Also desktop-drive-icons has already included libgtk2.0-bin (which is missing from libsearch output).
Unfortunately libsearch works only for library packages, which libgtk2.0-bin is not, I think (looking at the filelist, I see no lib files).

I'll try upgrade with new DD test repository and report back probably tomorrow.
Looks like we're getting somewhere now!

Fred

fredx181

#3973 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

Upgrading to new tmp repository went smoothly except for move-in-crypt (cannot be downloaded, also not with smokey-get)
I've noticed before, btw, that sometimes a file can't be downloaded from smokey.

Fred

saintless

#3974 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred.

Move-in-crypt should be fixed now. It was a permissions problem. I will check all other packages again.
Testing with standard debian also works well for now. I think tomorrow night I will post the result.

Toni

saintless

#3975 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Just for information from testing standard Debian - we have some issues with:
desktop-editor
edit-sfs-rox ("thunar not found message" - which should not exist in rox version) - fixed
ffconvert
move-in-crypt (gksu is not added in gsu line I think) - fixed
pfind
peasyglue
sns
frisbee.
I will check them again and reupload what I can fix tomorrow.

Toni

fredx181

#3976 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Just for information from testing standard Debian - we have some issues with:
desktop-editor
edit-sfs-rox ("thunar not found message" - which should not exist in rox version) - fixed
ffconvert
move-in-crypt (gksu is not added in gsu line I think) - fixed
pfind
peasyglue
sns
frisbee.
Quickly tried pburn and peasyglue on full wheezy install and see no problems.
Could the issue be because sh is symlink to dash for you?

Fred

saintless

#3977 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Yes, the problem in standard Debian with peasyglue was sh is link to dash.
But I still get this for pburn:

user@debian:~$ pburn
grep: /home/user/.gtkrc-2.0: No such file or directory
/usr/local/pburn/func_gui_options: line 167: type: vamps: not found
Seems to work anyway.
Pfind has no problem actually. It just gets "Permission denied" messages for some folders because needs sudo to search inside. It is not a bug or a problem. It can be started with sudo from terminal in standard Debian or from user account in DD to search inside /root for example.

The result is very good to the moment. I will continue adding more packages in the next days.

Toni

fredx181

#3978 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
But I still get this for pburn:
Code:
user@debian:~$ pburn
grep: /home/user/.gtkrc-2.0: No such file or directory
/usr/local/pburn/func_gui_options: line 167: type: vamps: not found
Then better add 'vamps' package to Depends: ... line. (it's for shrinking DVD's, I've never used it with pburn though)

I've tried menumaker and ffconvert on my full install and no problems.
Only for menumaker a warning that defaultbrowser is not found.

Although I couldn't reproduce the menumaker error you had I've removed a section (mostly about default-browser)
So it's just a guess but maybe it helps.
Attached menumaker.tar.gz

Fred
Attachments
menumaker.tar.gz
(6.43 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

anikin

#3979 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni, Fred et al,
Could the issue be because sh is symlink to dash for you?
Yes, the problem in standard Debian with peasyglue was sh is link to dash.
How did you solve it? If you remeber, I had that issue in SID and reconfigured bash as default instead of dash. Shortly afterwards shellshock followed ... and I wonder if changing Debian default shell is the right thing to do. Can peasyglue be easily modded to work with dash? Debian has a script "checkbashisms", part of devscripts pkg.
- checkbashisms: check whether a /bin/sh script contains any common bash-specific contructs
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/devscripts It's way above my level, though.

saintless

#3980 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Not much time for testing few days but I will continue soon.
fredx181 wrote:Then better add 'vamps' package to Depends: ... line. (it's for shrinking DVD's, I've never used it with pburn though)
I will add it.
I've tried menumaker and ffconvert on my full install and no problems.
Only for menumaker a warning that defaultbrowser is not found.
Strange. I will make fresh standard Debian install. Maybe something from too much testing different DD packages cause the problem.
I will test menumaker without defaultbrowser line.
For ffconvert after installing ffmpeg I get "Segmentation fault" error.

Toni