Why is wireless so complicated in Puppy?

bigpup

#41 Post by bigpup »

I have tried Bionic 8 32 in two machines. First, a Thinkpad T42 where it failed complaining about PAE
The PAE error was probably about the processor not capable of using PAE.

PAE gives a 32bit operating system the ability to see and use more than 4 GB of RAM.

For PAE to work the OS has to be setup to use it and the processor has to be one that can support using PAE.

Easy answer.
Use a Puppy 32bit version that is not PAE.
Tahrpup 6.0.5 has some no-pae versions.
Xenialpup 7.5 (32bit) is no-PAE.

It was standard to have PAE or no-PAE in the Puppy version iso name.
Developers are kind of forgetting to do that, so you have to look in the Puppy version forum topic to see if PAE is talked about.

Here is the Puppy repository:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/

Note:
thinkpad t42 is using processors that may or may not be PAE enabled. Some are some are not.
I am guessing it has a Pentium M processor.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

olddog

#42 Post by olddog »

You guess right!

I have been educating myself, and successfully installed TahrPup, not knowing that XenialPup has a no-PAE version also.

The only problem with TahrPup is that it doesn't display the CPU temperature - something I have come to consider a must.

So tomorrow I will install the 32 bit Xenial.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

bigpup wrote:
I have tried Bionic 8 32 in two machines. First, a Thinkpad T42 where it failed complaining about PAE
The PAE error was probably about the processor not capable of using PAE.

PAE gives a 32bit operating system the ability to see and use more than 4 GB of RAM.

For PAE to work the OS has to be setup to use it and the processor has to be one that can support using PAE.

Easy answer.
Use a Puppy 32bit version that is not PAE.
Tahrpup 6.0.5 has some no-pae versions.
Xenialpup 7.5 (32bit) is no-PAE.

It was standard to have PAE or no-PAE in the Puppy version iso name.
Developers are kind of forgetting to do that, so you have to look in the Puppy version forum topic to see if PAE is talked about.

Here is the Puppy repository:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/

Note:
thinkpad t42 is using processors that may or may not be PAE enabled. Some are some are not.
I am guessing it has a Pentium M processor.
Linux novice with too many Thinkpads, mainly running Xenialpup
HP Laserjet Pro 1102W

Mike Walsh

#43 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ olddog:-

Those T42s use the Centrino platform, don't they? Pentium Ms, if I don't miss my guess...

If yours are complaining about PAE, pounds to peanuts they're using the 'Banias'-cored Pentium Ms; for some weird (and totally unexplained reason) Intel built these with the PAE 'flag', but the processor fails to report this to the operating system. So to get these to work with a PAE-enabled system, you have to use the 'force-PAE' option at boot-time.

The later, 'Dothan'-cored Pentium Ms didn't suffer from this problem, as the processor correctly reports the PAE flag to the OS.....

Just a scrap of interesting info for ya!

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#44 Post by bigpup »

CPU temp displaying has been a moving target in Puppy for years. Recently some work to cure this problem.

Try installing and using this program.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115684
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#45 Post by Mike Walsh »

Or, there's Micko's original PMCPUtemp.....which I've never had any problems with on my hardware. You must be running Tahr 6.0.5; the later 6.0.6 (and Xenialpup) had PMCPUtemp installed by default. For 6.0.5 you needed to install it separately.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98299

The version mentioned in bigpup's post is an updated, re-jigged one, developed by ozsouth for machines with 'awkward' processors that don't report temperatures correctly with the original version. You'll have to experiment and find out which one works for your machine. I'd try the 'original' first; if it doesn't like your CPU, it'll pop up a window to tell you that it can't work with it.

Then you can try ozsouth's version. I've had success with that one on a mate's elderly Dell Inspiron 530s desktop running Puppy; the original version just sat firmly on 40C without moving so much as a fraction either up or down.....and prior to running Puppy, in the previous Vista install, HWMonitor reported temps perfectly (so I knew the sensors were definitely there!)

Mike. :wink:

olddog

#46 Post by olddog »

I downloaded what I assumed was the latest Tahrpup.

Thanks for the ever-helpful suggestions, but I think I will take the line of least resistance and install Xenial 32.

And now I have a problem with Deadbeef which I will put in a new thread.
Linux novice with too many Thinkpads, mainly running Xenialpup
HP Laserjet Pro 1102W