Project K-9 - You decide what you will get!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
`f00

#41 Post by `f00 »

Looking forward to it. Good point about 'latest/gr8test' with respect to Opera (they all work, but some gloves fit better ;) - heh, several versions of presto may be run concurrently as well..). Not to fuel the fire about full vs. frugal, but there too.

Looking good.
omskates

#42 Post by omskates »

WarMocK wrote: Some other of the u, bingo/pcoming changes:
- Introduction of CLInet, a dialog-based wizard to connect your PC to a router or modem (it also works on a GUI using XDialog, but this version still makes problems as it crashes if there are error messages streamed through the stdout channel and thus screw up the temporary config files :-().
)
WarMocK, been a long time since I've posted on this thread. Your IntroWizard is really right on track with newbie friendliness, nice job.
The CLInet, is it anything like PWireless 2? I think making auto-detection and auto-connection viable for networking is very important. For newbie friendliness this has got to be made a complete no brainer. I had great luck introducing my sister to Linux using her old laptop and the easy network setup in Puppy Stardust is what really rang bells for her. Applet on the task bar, click it, click connect to available networks, bingo! Also the use of the control center in Stardust to clean up menus really helps out unfamiliar navigation.
I've been looking at other lightweight Xfce based distros out there, trying some of them and not really finding what I'm looking for. I'm excited about following your K-9 development. Very nice looking puplet! :D
WarMocK

#43 Post by WarMocK »

@omskates,
since a link may say more than a thousand words:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51097

Also, you might want to have a look at the screenshot I posted in the desktop screenshot thread to see how Beta 6 is looking like right now. :D
cifa

#44 Post by cifa »

looks fantastic & many thanks for sharing your work (in fact i am writing this from within your distro ;)
i would love your distro to be the puppy linux of choice in my rescue USB stick
i have one issue though and its driving me a little nuts!
i cant get my Nvidia 8800GT card to work with it - so it looks a dogs dinner at the minute with a fixed refresh @ 800 x 600 resolution on my 1280 x768 monitor (NOP 4.12 works ok and am sure it uses Nvidia 177...)
i have spent couple of hrs trying to figure it our (trying different Nvidia pets - but i cant get Nvidia drivers to activate/initialise)
once i install the Nvidia drivers - xwin wont restart
any pointers?
and for the record - what kernel is this (so i know i am tryign the right Nvidia drivers)
any help appreciated.

cheers
WarMocK

#45 Post by WarMocK »

Kernel version is 2.6.31.5
And yep, I had my issues with the nvidia driver as well, as I used the one for 2.6.30.5 and killed my XServer with it as well. Restoring the xorg. conf was piece of cake (I had used CLIbackup to save my config files ;-)), but I had to grab me the nv.ko from another installation and replace the nvidia.ko file in X.org's library path to get the GUI back, as the installation script for the driver simply deleted the old driver file. :-(
I need to come up with a way to save this driver file as well and add the script into CLIbackup as soon as possible, that will make restoring X a lot simpler.
cifa

#46 Post by cifa »

thanks for the info.
in other words then, Nvidia drivers not working with your distro? Thats a pity.
I will keep plugging away unless you have any other suggestions. Will feedback if any success etc...
btw - I am running Puppy off a USB (multiboot) - effectively a frugal install...if that makes a difference
WarMocK

#47 Post by WarMocK »

cifa wrote:thanks for the info.
in other words then, Nvidia drivers not working with your distro? Thats a pity.
I will keep plugging away unless you have any other suggestions. Will feedback if any success etc...
btw - I am running Puppy off a USB (multiboot) - effectively a frugal install...if that makes a difference
No, you just need to find the driver for kernel 2.6.31.5, and you should probably be on the lookout for reports stating that some of these drivers won't work with certain puplets. I once had to test 4 drivers (for the same kernel!) before I found the correct one.
And before you try to install the new driver, start clibackup.sh in a Terminal and save your current xorg.conf (select "XServer", it's the first entry of the menulist). If the installation fails and you get bumped back to the commandline, you can fix the problem with CLIbackup again by selecting "RestoreX". ;-)
cifa

#48 Post by cifa »

great advice WarMocK
i will follow this up & report back any success etc..
you have been very helpful
keep up the great work

cheers
cifa

#49 Post by cifa »

further on...

tried all the PETS here: http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... cf2769cb93 with no success
tried this workaround: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47049 but that was 'unable to load kernel module nvidia.ko'
i googled the above but it was too much like hard work for a newbie like me

i will look at this advice a little more in due course: http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 76121cf199

but is it worth pursuing if this is broken for some reason?
for the record I know 190.53 nvidia drivers work in Stardust 013.

cheers
WarMocK

#50 Post by WarMocK »

Hmm,
I need to check out what pet specs Stardust has. Maybe there's a compatibility issue somewhere. I had to use some older packages in order to make XFCE run, which is still the same that was used in NOP 4.3.1. If the cause for the problem is in there I'm gonna use quirky for the next build of the core (they have a newer XFCE package in there), or I'll go straight for the Ubuntu repository, as I had planned for the official RC anyway.
Thanks for pointing that out.
cifa

#51 Post by cifa »

tried all the help here: http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 76121cf199
but again no success. if it helps you heres the:

Xorg.0.log after the failed nvidia x-config command: http://pastebin.com/R7Qm2CLM

xorg.conf after the nvidia x-config command: http://pastebin.com/cgUkEq4B

i'm outta time now on this - do you think its worth a post in the main threads?
WarMocK

#52 Post by WarMocK »

Sure, give it a try. I'm gonna check this thread out as well, as this one is beyond my capabilities as well. :-(
Maybe there's a problem with the kernel itself that I'm not aware of. And maybe this issue is connected with the fact that I still cannot launch the framebuffer module right from the start, and thus use libsplash or similar tools to finally finish my work on the commandline environment.
cifa

#53 Post by cifa »

apologies - this project is a bit of a dead duck now.
I took the GT8800 out of my PC today & am using the onboard G41 Intel graphics & a different monitor - been wanting to to that for a while (less power, quieter too etc...)
only thing is -
after a fresh frugal install of your distro (which btw i think is still great) - I am now stuck on 800x600 vesa. lol. :shock:
ah well - its been a good distraction.
i'll revisit soon & let you know how things go.
WarMocK

#54 Post by WarMocK »

Sorry to hear that, man.
And I think I can tell you why the drivers work with Stardust but don't work with K-9: looks like Startdust uses the "older" 2.6.30.5 kernel - K-9 uses 2.6.31.5. In other words: the official drivers currently available for Puppy are still incompatible with K-9. Oh great, another prob I need to solve now - it's not like I didn't have more than enough to do already ... :roll:
cifa

#55 Post by cifa »

typical, isn't it. one step forward & two steps back!!
still a good learning experience :? but I understand the headache. been there many times myself.

I switched to Lucid Puppy 009 (out of curiosity) and unbelievably it boots straight up in 1280 x 1024. very sweet indeed. Maybe that's the way forward in utilising graphic drivers?

good luck.
WarMocK

#56 Post by WarMocK »

cifa wrote:typical, isn't it. one step forward & two steps back!!
Quoted for truth.
If this keeps going on I might need to consider rolling back to 2.6.30.5 again, even if this means K-9 would lose quite a few extra drivers and bugfixes. :-(