mic device not found

Booting, installing, newbie
thebeaky

setting the mic as the recording input

#41 Post by thebeaky »

what does it mean to set the mic as the recording input, and how can I do that?

thanks.

( sorry I havent replied to this for a bit, had to go away for a week)

-- edit

ok found where to switch mono output to mic, that doesnt seem to have any effect.

also I have now made my other computer so it doesn't work with sound, by changing settings in my computer thinking it was my wife's. (I cant seem to change the settings back to what they were though. even uninstalling and re-installing mhwaveedit kept the new settings.
mikeb

#42 Post by mikeb »

well in alsamixer you select the capture screen with the tab key...scroll to the required input and press space bar...it should have a red indication on the input.
Any program would then be pointed to the card of the chosen input (if more than one)

mike
thebeaky

thanks

#43 Post by thebeaky »

cool,

thanks.

( got rid of the config file for mhwaveedit, on my own computer, and that fixed the problem on mine).
Sylvander

#44 Post by Sylvander »

1. "what does it mean to set the mic as the recording input, and how can I do that?"
(a) Below is a screen shot of "Win2000Pro->Skype->Tools->Options->Audio settings->Microphone".
It would look very similar in Puppy.
Notice I can choose to use either (1)="USB Audio Device" [the USB desktop mic with built-in "sound card"]...
Or the (2)="SoundMAX Digital Audio" [the analog mic socket that goes to the on-board sound card].

(b) I can use either the AlsaMixer to control the volume of the chosen mic device (1) or (2)...
Or else I can use the Skype volume control, and the resulting alterations show up in the AlsaMixer.

(c) If I were then to alter the volume within AlsaMixer, that would show in Skype.

(d) Notice that i've unticked the box to "Automatically adjust microphone settings".
When that was ticked, the volume shown in both Skype and AlsaMixer was automatically being adjusted [actually reduced to quite a low setting].
Attachments
ScreenShot002.jpg
(7.59 KiB) Downloaded 635 times
ScreenShot001.jpg
(8.98 KiB) Downloaded 620 times