need an undelete program to recover directory

Using applications, configuring, problems
James C

#41 Post by James C »

nubc wrote:I sat through the download 4 times and didn't get the file. As far as I can tell, the download is not configurable. What's the secret?
Didn't do anything out of the ordinary,must have just been the luck of the draw.

James C

#42 Post by James C »

http://falconfour.wordpress.com/tag/f4ubcd/
Grab the patch here, extract it to a local drive, then drag your v4.6 ISO onto the patch EXE. It’ll walk you through the process, and create a new optimized ISO ready for burning.

nubc

#43 Post by nubc »

Nevertheless, when I run Active@ File Recovery from F4UBCD, the title of the app says "Active@ File Recovery for Windows". Could be a demo version, could be a less-than-full version. It's a pay program, as you can see on the website.

After 4 days of recovering and reconstructing a directory, I am pretty stupid, or maybe stupefied, so you'll have to bear with me.

Try to find the artist and title for this baby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx4BMPy5yAk

nubc

#44 Post by nubc »

I put the ISO and the patch.7z in the same directory. I extract patch.7z with xarchive, producing a folder named 'somename.tar.gz'. I open the folder and get the xarchive app with patch.7z as the target file. I extract this file to the directory containing ISO and patch.7z. Nothing changes, no extraction, no uncompressed file in directory. I drag ISO to folder, nothing. I drag folder to ISO, nothing.

Semme

#45 Post by Semme »

"Patch" is roughly like this, though I'd suspect uncompressed and <not sure about the iso>.

With Active@ you'd wanna create a boot disk. IIRC, it has an ncurses type interface for navigation.

nubc

#46 Post by nubc »

Problem is, this .7z file does not decompress as expected. Not sure why that is. Maybe I should decompress it in Windows with 7-zip. What should be resultant file extension after I decompress patch.7z?

I don't wanna fool with the demo of a pay program, because I'm not gonna buy it. As I understand it, a demo will show me the file on the hard drive, but it won't recover the file.

Semme

#47 Post by Semme »

I'm sure you have a gut feeling considering it's been FIVE days now. Maybe refocus your energy and move on..
Attachments
patch_files.jpg
(52.77 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

nubc

#48 Post by nubc »

The patch extracted without a hitch in Windows XP using 7zip. Either I was doing something wrong, or xarchive is broken in Wary 5.1.2.

I was mistaken: F4UBCD does have Recover My Files, but it doesn't see my ext3 drives. Do I need to mount the Linux drives?
Last edited by nubc on Thu 03 Apr 2014, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#49 Post by Semme »

:D With Peazip, I cheated. Hola!