Just-Lighthouse64-603/604

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#41 Post by James C »

JL64-603 live default boot on a UEFI box.Everything loaded into ram,straight to correct 1920x1080 desktop.

Code: Select all

-Computer-
Processor		: 8x AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
Memory		: 8063MB (644MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Just-Lighthouse 64 6.02 MF
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Wed Jun 24 15:24:39 2015
-Display-
Resolution		: 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: PC-Speaker - pcsp

Was attempting to install SeaMonkey but the download failed to complete.Not the end of the world......
Attachments
JL64-603.jpg
(58.73 KiB) Downloaded 531 times

Dry Falls

legacy boot

#42 Post by Dry Falls »

"JLH64-603.sfs is not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console..."
at that point, reboot or poweroff usually results in a kernel panic. Time to pull the plug.

I just made a JL64-603g-retro iso with no addons so it's only 324M (no zwine either so you'll get the same red warning about wine. Pay it no mind. It'll just be the same as "pmedia=Pure64". The iso was made straight off Tazoc's final Mariner iso, only with the k3.18.8 kernel package and JL64-603g.sfs basefile. the 603g only means it has all the patches and deltas builtin. Tazoc left off the 32 bit lighthouse project with version lhp-503g, so there's a method to this madness. Either that or a false sense of optimism.

Anyway, I'll upload it either tonight (>witching hour) or tomorrow. See how that does.

@ James C. the latest version really does have fewer bugs. Next week I'll have v603g uploaded. Glad to see JL64 is working out for you.

df

Dry Falls

#43 Post by Dry Falls »

James C wrote:Was attempting to install SeaMonkey but the download failed to complete.Not the end of the world......
The seamonkey sfs at gdrive is made specifically for JL64. The reason Gslapt considers it upgradeable is that it iappears as a 14.0 build instead of 14.1. But it's basically the same package. When I made the sfs, I used the old version and slipped in the upgrade and made a few new symlinks. I only changed the version number in the package specs. To tell the truth, it's not a slackbuild at all.

Dry Falls

#44 Post by Dry Falls »

Dry Falls wrote:If it's not a kernel issue, I can't imagine what it would be.
I'm now tending to think that the legacy boot problem is not the kernel, but a missing autorun.inf file which was in the original iso. If the retro boots ok, I'll rebuild the new k4.0.1 iso from that.

df

gcmartin

#45 Post by gcmartin »

I will test and report as soon as available.

James C

#46 Post by James C »

Quick live cd test on an older box. Default boot,everything loaded in ram.

-Computer-
Processor		: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
Memory		: 2048MB (611MB used)
Date/Time		: Wed Jun 24 23:34:25 2015
-Display-
Resolution		: 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa DRI nv18 
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: VIA8237 - VIA 8251
-Input Devices-
 Sleep Button
 Power Button
 Po-Computer-
Processor		: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
Memory		: 2048MB (611MB used)
Date/Time		: Wed Jun 24 23:34:25 2015
-Display-
Resolution		: 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa DRI nv18 
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: VIA8237 - VIA 8251

bash-4.2# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       2048056      1967324        80732       683612       231276
-/+ buffers:            1736048       312008
Swap:      4095996            0      4095996

bash-4.2# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Just-Lighthouse64, version 603

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000] (rev a4)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
  Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 evdev exa extmod fb fbdevhw glx record shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

Dry Falls

Re: legacy boot

#47 Post by Dry Falls »

Dry Falls wrote:I just made a JL64-603g-retro iso with no addons so it's only 324M (no zwine either so you'll get the same red warning about wine. Pay it no mind. It'll just be the same as "pmedia=Pure64"). The iso was made straight off Tazoc's final Mariner iso, only with the k3.18.8 kernel package and JL64-603g.sfs basefile. the 603g only means it has all the patches and deltas builtin.
uploaded. md5: 309704bb87a0837a2088663ce76e9a2c

df

Fishy

Working

#48 Post by Fishy »

The retro verison boots and all else falls into place. Sorry if you misunderstood my previous post. I did try all boot menu items but all failed at the same place. So now I can play with JLH and determine if it will end up as the go to distro.

Thanks to you and GC Martin for sorting out my problem. :wink: :wink:

gcmartin

Re: Working

#49 Post by gcmartin »

Tested Retro on the problem PC choosing same option 2 as before without parm changes using a Live DVD...Works, too.

If any info from this system is wanted, name it.

Issue
In this round of tests, I have a USB storage-stick present at boot time. But, once on the JLH-Retro desktop, the system has not recognized it. Further my HDD drive's partitions are mounted on "sde" vs. "sda". This may be normal, but, 1st time this sequence has presented itself.

Testing continues...

Dry Falls

#50 Post by Dry Falls »

Sorry to have jumped to the defensive, Fishy. Thanks.

@gcmartin, I just first-booted from retro installed inside a directory on a usb ssd with 'pmedia=usbhd'. It's properly identified two drives with fourteen partitions and loaded two swaps as well as identifying a 16G usb stick and canon printer also plugged into a usb slot. It's internal memory is even id'd and I've installed no drivers.

I really couldn't guess what's going on with your box.

df

Fishy

#51 Post by Fishy »

Not a problem. Always whiney people like me around.

Fastest puppy that I can recall . Just flies. Will devx603 work with retro version or wait for a rebuild?

Thanks a bunch. Your hard work is definitely appreciated.

Dry Falls

#52 Post by Dry Falls »

Fishy wrote:Will devx603 work with retro version or wait for a rebuild?
Lighthouse will refuse to auto-load an sfs file (at boot) with a *-nnn.sfs number different than it's own distro-version spec. Just change the name of the sfs file (devx, flash, nls, firefox, etc.) from "*-603" (and in many cases, "*-602") to "*-603g". In fact, most of the addons at Tazoc's distro for Lighthouse/Mariner will present no problem for Just-Lighhthouse. It works the other way around as well, with the exception of Devx, which has the updated glib and what Q5sys called, "toolchain". If you have 603 running and download a 603g package (other than the kernel package), just erase the "g" when you get it. Why did I put it there in the first place? because I've got too many variations hanging around and on more than one occassion, I've used the wrong one to produce a remaster. I'm just in awe of the systematization and record-keeping skills of people like Barry K and Tazoc.

df

gcmartin

#53 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Dry Falls. I should have better described the issue I hit, which does not appear to affect system's operation.

Adding clarity
  • I ALWAYS run Live DVD
  • In haste, rushing to provide feedback, I had left a data USB in the system from its prior operation; thus, unknowingly it was still inserted in the system at power on
  • I booted Live DVD taking option 2 with no boot changes (defaults)
  • At FirstRUN, I noticed that the drive icons for the HDD were reporting sde instead of the systems usual sda
  • Looking around the PC, I found that I have my 2GB USB was physically plugged in, even though the desktop icon for it was not present (neither was it shown in Drives nor gParted). I removed it, waited 10 secs, and plugged it back in to the same slot. JLHRetro immediately recognized it by popping an sdf icon to the desktop representing the USB. It is now seen in both Drives and gParted as sdf.
  • My HDD remains at sde for its partitions.
This better explains what occurred

I have not shutdown the current running of JLHRetro. It is stable and the fact that the HDD is on sde, presently, poses no observable problems in Live operations.

Hope that is helpful. I intend to restart the system soon after other tests. I want to see if the Netboot server will support LAN PCs booting from this current distro (Menu>Network>Netboot).

mikeslr

Obtaining 32-bit Compatibility in JL64-603g-retro

#54 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

JL64-603g-retro is a Pure 64-bit system which, however, will complain about the absence of zWine on bootup. To possibly --untested-- obtain 32-bit compatibility, and eliminate the complaint, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 303#837303.

Although untested, I believe it will work. It has in every other Pup published by Tazoc and Dry Falls I've used.

Note, my reading of Dry Falls last post suggests some concern about correctly naming the SFS.

mikesLr

Dry Falls

#55 Post by Dry Falls »

Mikesir, that is because I didn't include zwine on the iso to conserve on my satellite usage quota. Like any zdrive, zwine has to reside in the same folder/partition as the puppy basefile. Remember that the only thing retro about this is the kernel and boot catalog. I made it to narrow down the problems with legacy booting. If you do a frugal install, just place your existing zwine in the same location as JL64-603g and rename it zWine-1.5.28-i486_603g.sfs.

@ gcmartin:I may have sounded like your experience is news to me, but there is still a problem with hardware identification I've noticed which may be related. It may be peculiar to Lighthouse or it may go further.

When I plug in this external ssd drive, it's id'd properly as sdb (or sdc if there's already a "stick" pluged in or the usb printer is also powered up). On occassion, if I mount a partition, it cannot be unmounted and I get a red warning that it's in use by the kernel.

On rarer occassions, it becomes completely merged with the linux partitiion I'm running on and rox/pup_frontend produces a yellow dot on the drive icon, the window manager shows both partitions as identical.

Merged is not the proper term, because that would suggest contents of both would be displayed. Instead, the window manager only shows the drive/partition which is hosting the operating system.

It's perplexing, to say the least, mostly because I haven't a clue what's going on. Upgrading xorg server exacerbates the situation. Upgrading puppy_frontend makes the entire system unworkable.

Any insight into this would be highly appreciated. One thing I do know is that Lighthouse has no way to distinguish ssd, the way say, that precise-5.71 has. It treats any usb drive the same, as either usbhd or usbflash, and it hasn't as yet confused an external drive with the built-in ATA. However, scsi has something to say about anything plugged in. I know sda is reserved for the built-in hdd, and two internal hard drives will reserve sda and sdb, depending on the boot order settings in your bios. Where sde came from is the question I have. If you had a flaky bios, you would have seen this problem crop up before.

It will take someone with some real expertise to see what's going on here. Any comers?

df

Dry Falls

Re: Obtaining 32-bit Compatibility in JL64-603g-retro

#56 Post by Dry Falls »

mikeslr wrote:To possibly --untested-- obtain 32-bit compatibility, and eliminate the complaint, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 303#837303.

Although untested, I believe it will work.
I used this same 32bit file with every pup I've run and it works. It is also in the extrasfs directory at gdrive. The only problem usiing it with lighthouse is solved by incorporating a blank file into /etc called 'L64-32bit-libs'. Several of Tazoc's scripts look for this file which comes with his wine sfs. Otherwise, complete 32bit functionality disappears and some other versions of wine which work in every other distribution fail.

dff

James C

#57 Post by James C »

Just for testing purposes, I booted the JL64-603g-retro cd in three different boxes.... no real problems or surprises.

Dry Falls

#58 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks, James C.

Another note on wine and the 32bit libs. If you run a different wine addon, it is not necessary to rename it 'zWine-1.5.28-i486_603g.sfs'. It does need the little 'z' in front and the distro version (_603g) at the end. It should resemble this: 'zWine-n.n.n-*603g.sfs'. I've just built zWine-1.7.23-i486_603g.sfs which includes 32bit-slacko-3 and it works fine. Also modified 32bit-slacko-3.sfs to include the /etc/ file mentioned above. I'll upload these next week. Thanks.

ps., don't forget to move or rename an existing 'zWine-1.5.28-i486_603g.sfs' so there's no confusion as to which loads.

df

gcmartin

#59 Post by gcmartin »

Netboot server is NOT working on Retro. It gets to the very end when the selection to open a window to observe LAN requests and fails to do so. Further LAN PCs are not getting serviced when they request to boot from the LAN.

This is a very simple service to support other PCs booting from this system. Here's what has traditionally happens:
  1. Open the Netboot server app (Menu>Network>Netboot Server)
  2. Give it an ISO to prep for network booting (i.e. /root/Downloads/JL64-603g-retro.iso)
  3. It will build the necessary components
  4. Next, it announces build completion and instructs to modify the boot parms if needed as it simultaneously displays the boot parms
  5. Upon hitting the OK button, It will ask if you want a visual of LAN "netboot" requests (take "Debug" in popup window to get the visual Windowbox)
At this point the Netboot services are suppose to be started and a Windowbox for viewing LAN netboot request is NOT occurring as it should.The system's Firewall is off, so that is not contributing to this problem.

Could someone review why this is NOT occurring.

When this is working properly, you can go to any LAN PC, power up telling it to boot from its LAN adapter, and it will boot. Nothing else needed for any LAN PC to boot the distro image.
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 23:22, edited 2 times in total.

Dry Falls

netboot

#60 Post by Dry Falls »

Never used this, but yes, it seems to build everything correctly takes a while for the default cfg to appear -- you need to hit reload in the text editor) then stop. What else does it need to do, at this point? On top of that, if your other machine is equipped with something other than grub for dos or grub universal, you might need to create a grub.cfg (grub2) or isolinux.cfg to insert into the tftpboot or /tmp/netboot directory.

The first thing is obviously to make sure your machines bios are set to boot from lan. But shouldn't you also have to go into lighthouse boot manager and enable nfs sharing? The networking functions (samba, nfs, etc) in /etc/init.d are disabled by default in Just-Lighthouse. Nothing else in this regard is different, including dnsmasque. If it worked for LH64-602b, then the other difference would be eudev. Boot with the 2SysdUdev addon and see if that helps.

df