Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
neurino

#401 Post by neurino »

Yes, I'm still at puppeee beta 2.5, you say I should upgrade to beta 3?

01micko

#402 Post by 01micko »

BAH! always test and report on latest ver!!! :lol:

(especially in betas :wink: )
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jemimah

#403 Post by jemimah »

Yeah, the kernel for Beta 3 has a lot more modules. I think it takes a couple seconds longer to boot, but it should support more devices.

sindi

Novatel Wireless MIFI 2200 mobile broadband USB modem

#404 Post by sindi »

I friend wants to use Thinkpad 390E 333MHz 128MB with his new Sprint Mifi 2200 by Novatel. I think it is a wireless USB combination wifi router and cell modem. I have never used anything similar, but got Puppy 4.3.1 working (with Xorg since Xvesa crashes on exit). Do I install the 3G_pupdial_wireless and the usb_modeswitch pet packages (how do I install a pet from floppy disk?) and then search for the device as a modem? Make a symlink from /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/modem manually? Most of this topic is way over my head. Booting with DOS floppy then using loadlin to boot from a puppy431 partition in Windows ME (which won't let you boot to DOS!).

Coolsun9

#405 Post by Coolsun9 »

Hello,

I have tried both Puppeee 431beta3.1 and Puppy 4.3.1 on eeePC 701, and despite of kind advices and suggestions from the forum, I still having trouble getting E1550 connected.

I am all new to this and not ready sure what's the issue here.

What is missing that prevent Puppeee or Puppy to autodetect anyway?

01micko

#406 Post by 01micko »

Sindi

All dependencies are there in 4.3.1, nothing to install. Never heard of that device, but give it a go. The most important things are the isp phone number and the APN. Often username and password are not needed, but not always.

Coolsun9

If you get the modem detected then in the top right corner of Pupdial it should say that the modem is at /dev/ttyUSB0. If not try probing and if not again try rebooting with modem in, if that fails then take modem out and attach modem after boot. If the modem responds you are good to fill out fields and try to connect.

HTH

zygo

#407 Post by zygo »

Coolsun9 using Puppy 4.3.1

I would advise against altering usb_modeswitch.conf instead execute what jfdee posted. To avoid errors highlight the command on the web page and paste it into an rxvt window with a middle mouse click.

rerwin kindly made the pmodemdiag pet and posted it to this very topic on 12 Nov 2009. Maybe if you download it, execute it and post your pmodemdiag-DATE.tar.gz file it will give folks more info to work with.

neurino

#408 Post by neurino »

01micko wrote:BAH! always test and report on latest ver!!! :lol:
(especially in betas :wink: )
Well, you know, I'm using my eee also for work and personal, not only beta testing, I tried beta 3 but I should have my pupsave start from scratch again and again, since the dongle works with my standard puppy 431 that's unchanged on a USB key since months I simply could not imagine the very next beta had what's missing in mine...

Anyway thanks a lot to jemimah for the good work on eees but please don't expect I start over every single new version (if everithing seems to work on current version...)

Coolsun9 does the 1550 appear as a cd room on desktop?
Did you try editing /ect/usb_modeswitch.conf to uncomment e1550 part and calling usb_modewitch to see what happens?

jfdee

#409 Post by jfdee »

sindi:

USB_ModeSwitch is only needed if a device has more than one state. Many 3G sticks show up as a flash memory first. They have their Windows drivers "onboard" this memory. To be used as wireless modems, their state has to be switched (sic!) to modem mode. In Windows, the driver does it; Linux and its relatives had to find other ways.

Your router is accessed via WiFi so you don't need to fiddle around with modem or USB setup. Use it as any other hotspot.

jfdee

#410 Post by jfdee »

Coolsun9 wrote:What is missing that prevent Puppeee or Puppy to autodetect anyway?
For starters, what's missing is support by the makers of these devices. The 'switching business' is complicated further by ambiguities and system differences (hard and soft).

One example: there are many different devices using the initial USB ID "05c6:1000". Some of these want a certain switching command; others want a completely different one; and there are many cellphones using that ID wanting no switching at all. Now, how do you recognize all these devices properly? It just doesn't work with a simple udev rule entry.

So, yes, autodetection is difficult.

That said, the recent versions of "usb_modeswitch" are able to resolve a lot of the problems. There is no "pet" file yet; there would be conflicts with the current Puppy approach.

neurino

#411 Post by neurino »

Ok, using a Huawei e1550 in Puppeee beta 3.1, that's what I did (maybe something is optional but didn't want to mess up so I went straight to the point:

Install usb_modeswitch_rules_update_to_431-2.pet (not uset now, should work next boots), uncomment e1550 part in /etc/udev/rules.d/51-usb_modeswitch-option-0x12d1-0x1446.rules

edit /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf: find e1550 part and uncomment (remove ";" at begin), save file.

Code: Select all

mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb
modprobe option
usb_modeswitch
connect => internet by dialup or wireless modem => probe => PROBE => modem selected on /dev/ttyUSB0

I will try to connect to ISP now

Coolsun9

E1550 connected at last

#412 Post by Coolsun9 »

i neurino
Yes, the 1550 appear as a cd room on desktop only. I have followed instruction in your last post. It works!

Does it means that I need to type these three commands (below) each time before I could make a Connect?

mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb
modprobe option
usb_modeswitch

Only the last command "usb_modeswitch" returns with some responses on the Console, is this how it should be.

I am not well in Linux to provide all a log, to tell how it works on my eeePC 701.

But I am replying on this post via the E1550 connection now.

jfdee, jeminah, neurino,
appreciate your kind efforts and patience. :D

neurino

#413 Post by neurino »

Coolsun9 I'm happy for you! :D
You can save those 3 steps in a script file to run each time you turn on the eee (not each time you connect) and yes only usb_modeswitch returns something.
Then you could use PupDial to connect

Unluckily I can't get connected... :(

I follow your same steps but I get a pppd options error both in puppeee beta 3_1 and standard Puppy 431:

# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: AT Q0 V1 E0 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
AT Q0 V1 E0 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.wind","0.0.0.0",0,0
OK
--> Sending: AT+COPS=0,0,"I WIND",2
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
--> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Starting pppd at Fri Jan  1 13:25:51 2010
--> pid of pppd: 10046
--> Disconnecting at Fri Jan  1 13:25:51 2010
--> The PPP daemon has died: pppd options error (exit code = 2)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> I guess that's it for now, exiting
--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 2)
this is my wvdial.conf:

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Init = 
Init2 = AT Q0 V1 E0 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.wind","0.0.0.0",0,0
Init4 = AT+COPS=0,0,"I WIND",2
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Carrier Check = no
Phone = *99#
Username = Wind
Password = Wind
I used AT+CGDCONT? and AT+COPS? to get APN and operator stored in the e1550 (Init3 and Init4) I use no PIN

Any help is appreciated!!!

01micko

#414 Post by 01micko »

just try this.. may or may not work.

In /etc/ppp/options add option

-chap
next line from Barney

HTH

neurino

#415 Post by neurino »

01micko wrote:just try this.. may or may not work.
nope, same error... :(

does "115200" in options is about bauds? I have 460800 in my conf since it works for many users and the "safe" 9600 that comes as default is too low...

01micko

#416 Post by 01micko »

hmmmm..

well delete the -chap option, just try with the default if it is 9600, I know it seems low but it works ok on my E169.

neurino

#417 Post by neurino »

01micko wrote:well delete the -chap option, just try with the default if it is 9600
It doesn't work.... :(

Couldn't I just use someone (using a e1550 or similar) wvdial.conf and simply replace the APN with mine? (internet.wind)

I used PupDial first but, seeing it doesn't work I started editing conf file.

sob, is it a problem with the ISP or with the dongle?

01micko

#418 Post by 01micko »

probably the isp, perhaps the problem is the 2 word APN... a shot from left field here.. wrap it in quotes.. "internet wind"

neurino

#419 Post by neurino »

internet.wind is already in quotes, also adding more (single) quotes ""internet.wind'' gives bad init string...

The dongle is properly installed on my wife Vista pc, can I fetch some info from some init files there?

I also tried this wvdial.conf found on an italian site (i.e. sharing my same ISPs)

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
ISDN = off
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 460800
Init = ATX3
Init2 = AT&F Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.wind"
Phone = *99***1#
Phone1 = *99***1#
Dial Prefix = 
Dial Attempts = 20
Dial Command = ATM1L3DT
Ask Password = off
Password = anon
Username = anon
Auto Reconnect = off
Abort on Busy = off
Carrier Check = on
Check Def Route = on
Abort on No Dialtone = on
Stupid Mode = on
Idle Seconds = 0
Auto DNS = on
I always end with the same error but before, instead of a simply CONNECT I get CONNECT 360000

CONNECT 3600000
--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Fri Jan  1 15:31:10 2010
--> pid of pppd: 30880
--> Disconnecting at Fri Jan  1 15:31:10 2010
--> The PPP daemon has died: pppd options error (exit code = 2)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> I guess that's it for now, exiting
--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 2)

zygo

#420 Post by zygo »

neurino

Could you explain the need to edit /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf and execute the 3 commands?

I think you are missing this

Dial Command = ATDT