Slacko 5.7 final - 8 March 2014

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

Re: Broadcom wl.ko driver

#421 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:Well thats odd, I used that source, you pointed me to it! What about you build the drivers, I'll put them in.
Hi Mick

Sent you a pm with a link to the driver pets.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

SFR

#422 Post by SFR »

01micko wrote:All uploaded, test if you want.
Now works perfect, thanks! :)

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

mavrothal

#423 Post by mavrothal »

James C wrote:Attempted to upgrade a frugal install from 5.6.5.6 to 5.6.8....failed.No sound or internet.....even loading the correct driver resulted in no interface detected.
This happened to me when tried to upgrade a non-PAE 5.6.5.6 to a PAE 5.6.8.0. However, upon reboot with the same savefile everything worked.
(some relevan changes have beed added to rc.update in woof :wink: )
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

mavrothal

#424 Post by mavrothal »

Looks like that shinobar might not have the time to update grub4dosconfig.
Is still broken in 5.6.8. You may want to patch it for the next release.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#425 Post by 01micko »

Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gcmartin

#426 Post by gcmartin »

Testing another Laptop. No wireless service for Frisbee.

System details attached
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
System report
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

mavrothal

#427 Post by mavrothal »

gcmartin wrote:Testing another Laptop. No wireless service for Frisbee.

System details attached
You hardware info shows no wifi cards. Only a LAN adapter.
Which wifi card do you have?
Does the 4g version behaves the same? (with 1.5GB RAM you do not need PAE anyway :wink: )

Jades

#428 Post by Jades »

mavrothal wrote:Updated 5.6.5.6 with no issues.
However, updating from 5.6 still fails to do a proper full update :x
Turns out that puppy does not update the /etc/rc.d/ files before the upgrade so if you have the old ones in your save file will be used instead of the new ones :shock:
Could you elaborate on the sort of symptoms we'd see with that? I have done a couple of test updates so far, one from a copy of my running 5.6.0 save and noted a couple of oddities, mainly related to sound.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#429 Post by Jades »

WRT the truncated clock thing, I confirm that I use the en_GB locale and in general run with UTF-8 off (I have a mixed network and not everything on it supports it).
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

mavrothal

#430 Post by mavrothal »

Jades wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Updated 5.6.5.6 with no issues.
However, updating from 5.6 still fails to do a proper full update :x
Turns out that puppy does not update the /etc/rc.d/ files before the upgrade so if you have the old ones in your save file will be used instead of the new ones :shock:
Could you elaborate on the sort of symptoms we'd see with that? I have done a couple of test updates so far, one from a copy of my running 5.6.0 save and noted a couple of oddities, mainly related to sound.
Basically non of the tray applets will run and menus are not updated. Sound, network will not work etc.
As I said for now boot with pfix=clean for a proper update from 5.6.
Should be fixed in the next version

gcmartin

Hardinfo issue when hitting its "Refresh" button

#431 Post by gcmartin »

Hardinfo problem: I showed in a previous report the output of Hardinfo. When viewing its screen via Devices>PCI Devices, I hit the Refresh button on its top-right. Instead of it clearing and refreshing as expected, instead it expands to double the information and a subsequent refresh triples and so on.

Bug.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-03-08_183212.png
(40.44 KiB) Downloaded 441 times

gcmartin

#432 Post by gcmartin »

mavrothal wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Testing another Laptop. No wireless service for Frisbee. ...
You hardware info shows no wifi cards. Only a LAN adapter.
Which wifi card do you have?
Does the 4g version behaves the same? (with 1.5GB RAM you do not need PAE anyway :wink: )
PAE
I use PAE because ALL of my PC has always had this 1995 technology. I do recognize that there were a handful of PCs manufactured without them, but I never own/used/installed any of the less than 1% of PC that did NOT have it. And, I never select any PC specific for that feature, it just was there. So I freely can add RAM and not concern myself with whether it has 512mb or 2GB or 4GB or 8GB. This is why I use PAE...it tosses the concern for system's RAM out the window with NO impact on system performance. And you and I know that over 99% of ALL computers ever built on the planet (32bit & 64bit) come with this CPU feature. Just doing my part to test and use this advantage in Puppyland and elsewhere. :wink:

On the wireless
I came back to the running GAteway Laptop and have now discovered that both Frisbee and SNS see a wlan0 which I did NOT see before posting the original alert. But, I did notice, too, that "lspci" and Hardinfo failed to report the availability of the w/l as is shown by the original system report.

Any ideas on why? This may be a design element in the system. And, I may not be using the correct command to see the adapter(s).

Code: Select all

# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
03:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection (rev 02)
03:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
03:09.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
03:09.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
# 
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-03-08_182508.png
Frisbee now reports
(27.48 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Screenshot_2014-03-08_181820.png
SNS now reports
(57.78 KiB) Downloaded 429 times

Terry H

Re: Intel 4965AGN wifi not working

#433 Post by Terry H »

Marv wrote:
Terry H wrote:
Marv wrote: Blacklist wl and repeat the test. From the pdialog output it looks like that might do it. If that does it there is a fix discussed here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 337#748337
I removed the savefile and booted slacko again. I blacklisted wl driver as requested, created a new savefile and then rebooted. Still no wifi.
Thanks, that gives me a bit more to scratch my old head about. I would love to see all of the firmware in /lib/firmware. No more storage space and there when the kernel needs it.
Edit: in /lib/modules/3.4.78/kernel/drivers/net/wireless, the .ko drivers for iwl3945,iwl4965,iwlegacy are in a directory named iwlegacy. In /lib/modules/all-firmware, the firmware for those chips is in a directory named iwlwifi. I can't test this but I surmise the directory name mismatch goofs up frontend. By contrast, the driver and firmware for my i5300 (which works) are both in respective iwlwifi directories. If the above is the case, moving everything into the iwlwifi directory in /lib/modules/3.4.78/kernel/drivers/net/wireless or symlinking from there would fix it. Creating an iwlegacy directory in all-firmware for the 3945, 4965, iwlegacy firmware also should do it.
Marv,

I finally got some time to get back to this to see if I could do as you have suggested. When looking at the existing lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi directory, I noticed that this contained existing directories:

lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi/lib/firmware

This directory contains the firmware file 'iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode' and many other firmwares.

In the end I didn't copy directories/files or create any symlinks, Next time if it hasn't been fixed, I will symlink to this file for the fix.

playdayz

#434 Post by playdayz »

James C wrote:
Attempted to upgrade a frugal install from 5.6.5.6 to 5.6.8....failed.No sound or internet.....
I had the same problem trying to update to 5.6.8.0 from 5.6.5. The only network interface found was lo, not eth0 or wlan0 (both of which had been working in 5.6.5). Also no sound.

Add -> Aha, I shut down and rebooted the upgrade from 5.6.5 to 5.6.8.0 and the second time it booted it found both network interfaces, configured the wireless properly, and sound correctly. I was using Frisbee.

Add Add -> I see that mavrothal already figured this out.

01micko wrote:
People are wondering why I include abiword-2.9.4. Abi 2.8.6 (latest stable from 2009) will not build with the current libs. Sure, there's BK's wary version but that spits out more errors than I wish to mention, I hardly call that stable, especially when it has crashed on me a number of times. If you want to use Puppy for productivity (it is a hobby distro) use LibreOffice, Open Office, TextMaker Office or if you must, MS office in Wine. As far as I know up to 2007 works. There are other alternatives such as Ted, RTFEdit, and a Chinese office called KingSoft Office. Abiword is included for posterity and will be unceremoniously dumped by me as quick as 5.7 is out. I hate it. In saying all that, Abiword is just fine for typing letters to Nan, opening (read only) most MS documents and very basic stuff.
LOL. I agree completely about abiword, plus my interaction with some of the devs was not very pleasant. But, concerning Puppy and productivity, Slacko is so good that I am totally comfortable using it for production in teaching online university courses (I do use Libre Office).
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 09 Mar 2014, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

#435 Post by Marv »

Terry H wrote:

This directory contains the firmware file 'iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode' and many other firmwares.

In the end I didn't copy directories/files or create any symlinks, Next time if it hasn't been fixed, I will symlink to this file for the fix.
I hope it all goes to /lib/firmware :!:
Maybe I wasn't clear, I think the crux of this particular problem is that the 4965 etc ucode is in:
and the 4965 drivers are in:
/lib/modules/3.4.78/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlegacy
and that the directory name mismatch bolded is the catch.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

01micko

#436 Post by 01micko »

Finally it's out!

Go get it.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Tasgarth

#437 Post by Tasgarth »

Slacko 57 0 Final PAE
A quick test : it's OK
HP intel Pentium 2 cores ram 6g
(frugall install)
thanks

Terry H

#438 Post by Terry H »

01micko wrote: Now if you could test the same on the 4G version (5.6.8) and instead move to /lib/firmware/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode (replacing iwlegacy) that will give me enough motivation to move all firmware for wifi drivers to /lib/firmware. This is probably where firmware for wifi (and ethernet and probably others, apart form big modems) should be.
Didn't get a chance to test against 5.6.8, as you got 5.7 out too quickly for me. I downloaded 5.7 (Non- PAE), created directory 'iwlwifi' within '/lib/firmware' and copied 'iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode' to it. Wifi is working. It didn't work if I did it as a symlink though.

All is working well on my Dell D620 with Core Duo and 2.5 GB RAM.

Excellent work!

Colonel Panic

#439 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for this one!

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Dpup

Slacko 5.7 Final

#440 Post by Dpup »

Was having same problem reported by others not being able to connect WiFi on HP dv6833us laptop that has the PCI Intel PRO 4965 with Slacko 5.7 final.. Earlier versions of Slacko connected fine.

Thanks to Terry H., 01micko and others, As instructed in posting above, I created the lwlwifi inside of /lib/firmware and copied lwlwifi-4965-2.ucode into it.

My HP dv6833us WiFi now connects fine to my WPA2 TKIP router.

Now if I just can find some help with getting my new Canon MX922 to print with CUPS... buts another problem for another Puppy expert, and may be more difficult to solve... since I have not seen any reports of newer, current Canon printers like the MX922 to work with any version of Puppy.

Cheers !!!