Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jasper

#441 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz,

Thank you for your explanation of the 2.3.4 "background" scene.

I like your idea of an embossed logo - perhaps for placement at a position of the user's choice and substantial though not enormous? As for words I put a few on my clock - but there are lots of clocks so that is not likely to be generally practicable.

No need to reply - I can wait to see if I have a pleasant surprise coming.

My regards
Attachments
clock.jpg
(17.53 KiB) Downloaded 1183 times

Jim1911

#442 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:
Frugal installation of luci-234 is fast and stable, however there is one showstopper on my system. When switching from the default Openbox to my preferred JWM, the menu bar disappears. Only choice is to switch back to Openbox. Hope it's just my installation.
How did you switch? I have switched a number of times using wmswitcher without losing the panel at the bottom.

Wmswitching is not as simple as it looks--there is a lot going on under the hood there....

I also just switched with Exit to prompt and 'xwin jwm.' That seemed to work also--maybe try whichever one you weren't using ;-)
I use the new WM switcher. I'll download and reinstall and see if I still have the problem.

New download doesn't have this problem. Sorry, I've wasted your time.
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Mon 01 Nov 2010, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#443 Post by 01micko »

I can't reproduce either Jim.

Tried on 2 machines. Could it be a dude conflict? Ah... I am using the xinitrc I posted.. that could help though I had no problem switching to jwm previously. If jwm is crashing can you post your /tmp/xerrs.log? Thanks.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

dejan555

#444 Post by dejan555 »

playdayz wrote: Yes Sir Jasper. It won't be the default background on the release. You know how I experiment--I would like to explore what makes a good background--to push the limits a little bit so we don't just keep doing the same thing. A little more chaos and anarchy ;-)

I booted 234 (thanks pemasu for delta)
I like the default one but I guess many people wouldn't like having it as non-default available wallpaper even. :P
Where did you find it, is it GPL?
Refresh and overtime wallpapers are nice and fancy.

BTW 250+ puppy wallpapers are @ puppy gallery http://puppy.b0x.me/gallery/index.php?list=4&page=all

Also if you like anything from this gallery feel free to use or modify: http://photo.b0x.me/

steve_s had 2 creative commons licensed archives with texas and australia wallpapers.
I like the default openbox theme too and having pidgin+more wallpapers and resulting in only 1 MB bigger iso is cool.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

James C

#445 Post by James C »

I was successfully using 3 wm's.....JWM,Openbox and Fluxbox with 3 different wallpapers . things were working good. Installed IceWm today and........ now its only one wallpaper for all. :(

Think I'll look back through the thread, may be another window manager switcher to try........... :lol:

bigpup

#446 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:One thing. I still would like to hear pluses and minuses, or opinions, about grub4dos versus the traditional grub. I will be asking 01micko and WhoDo whose opinions will carry great weight as always.
I have not used it much, but let me tell you a story. I have 5 partitions formated NTFS or Ext 3 or 4. I have different versions of Puppy Linux, in frugal install, on each of them. I had trouble getting each of them setup, to boot, using Grub. So, I decided to try Grub4dos. I installed it to the MBR of the hard drive and ran the grub4dos config. It found all the frugal installs of the different Puppies, a full install of Mint, set up the menu.lst with all the required entries, and it just worked. No manual input required by me. Not bad!!

rhadon

CF works with my ATI

#447 Post by rhadon »

Hi everybody,

although I haven't much time these days for testing, I couldn't resist to test Compiz :oops:

So basically it works with my ATI card (see sig.) and luci-234. Used Mick's xfce and xinitrc.

Problems so far:

Traybar seems to be OK but on desktop are only 3 or 4 icons on the left side. Files, Home and Trash (if I remember right, maybe another one too). No drive icons.

Opera portable crashed directly (only power off worked).

After booting again no traybar, anarchy background came back and only 1 icon in the left corner (Files). Xfce, traybar and the other 2-3 icons came trough as long as I press the mouse wheel but no response.

I think I have to start again from the beginning. :wink:

One question: where is this damned simple-ccsm ??? Couldn't find anything like this.

----------------------

I disagree with the opinion that CF is only for fun!

Yes, a lot of features are only fun, e.g. exploding or burning windows or cube, but there is much more to discover! E.g. the zoom or magnifier functions are extremly useful for me e.g using my netbook, and I've never seen an easier way to swich applications or moving windows from one workspace to another. :wink:

------------------------------------

Although I didn't post for some time I really appreciate the way puppy goes. 8)

Shinobar is a great enrichment for this project, I like to think "Puppy worldwide" and not being catched by borders of a single country or a single language. Luci could have even more from Lupq. E.g. the localized rox filer. But that's just my opinion, my 2ct., or however you call it, at least not so important :wink: .

So thank you very very much for all of you who are involved in this project for spending so much time and hard work just for fun (like Compiz, eh? :lol: ) and some good words.

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

L18L

#448 Post by L18L »

luci234 New Version OCT 30
/usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs line 324

Code: Select all

[ "$U" != "" ] && UTF="ture"
should be

[ "$U" != "" ] && UTF="true"
:wink:
cheers

shinobar

NLS on Luci/Lupu

#449 Post by shinobar »

rhadon wrote:I like to think "Puppy worldwide" and not being catched by borders of a single country or a single language. Luci could have even more from Lupq. E.g. the localized rox filer.
Thanks, Rolf.
As you know, Luci still have some issues regarding NLS.
But as for the ROX-Filer in Luci/Lupu is NLS ready.

You can install lang_pack_de-lupq-0.2.pet against Luci/Lupu.
The language packages are prepared for LupQ, but maybe applicable against Luci/Lupu. Some applications will be NLS'ed.
As for the ROX-Filer, right-click the 'file' icon on the desktop. The ROX-Filer menu you can see in Germany.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#450 Post by Lobster »

Yes Lobster, we will be incorporating an auto script
to connect to IRC #puppylinux just like ayttm had--dejan555
has volunteered or maybe he says we can steal one from wolfpup.
Excellent news. I downloaded Seamonkey 209 for my Luci-234 browser
and that has chatzilla built in . . .

Regarding Wallpaper :oops:
http://l.pr/a46t5b/

As for Compiz
01micko was kind enough to let me look at a pre release
Did not quite work with my ATI card
Glad to hear it can be done
Puppys do not live by bread alone
. . . we need them candies . . .

. . . just to remind of Mettise
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7352#37352

Just to add my thanks to everyone compiling, hosting
anarching, barking and helping to make
Lucid 5.2 shine . . .

Puppy Lucid
Linux Light - Sweet
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rhadon

#451 Post by rhadon »

shinobar wrote:But as for the ROX-Filer in Luci/Lupu is NLS ready.
You can install lang_pack_de-lupq-0.2.pet against Luci/Lupu.
Yes, works fine with luci-234 :D

Thank you.

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

abushcrafter

#452 Post by abushcrafter »

Iguleder wrote:playdayz, why don't you add some Flash installer to 5.2? Barry mentioned this in his blog and I think it could be a great addition to the browser chooser.

Just think of it ... you install your browser, then things like Flash and Moonlight. Could save some ISO size, make 5.2 more future-proof and make life easier.

EDIT: here's an example.

wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
tar xzvf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
rm install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - bashbox - unified bash script
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

Mobeus

#453 Post by Mobeus »

Finally able to test a little, only after installing Shinobar's First Run Dialog v1.1 was I able to set up my video. The v1.0 included in Luci-234 gave a black screen after rebooting. I now have Xorg-high installed with no problems at 1024x768/60. Will attempt 1024x768/70 shortly.

The next glitch I ran into was with the wallpaper setter. When rebooting it always returns to the default.jpg. I had to rename new-england-mist.jpg to default.jpg to get it to stick.

If I may, I would like to vote for the new-england-mist background with the Tok-tok icons for the default.

Also I did not see my favorite Icewm anywhere. Will it be available from quickpet in the future?

Will test more as time permits. Two thumbs up so far!
/root for the home team

Mobeus

#454 Post by Mobeus »

Finished the video testing. Xorgwizard, either console or gui, is a sure way to destroy my video settings. The only thing that works is Shinobar's v1.1 First Run Dialog. Xorgwizard only gave a black screen. Even after escaping from the Xorgwizard console screen (no easy task) and typing reboot at the console I came back to the original settings, BUT glxgears had dropped from 500 fps to 164 fps.

My graphics card is Intel 865G.
/root for the home team

gcmartin

#455 Post by gcmartin »

playdayz wrote:One thing. I still would like to hear pluses and minuses, or opinions, about grub4dos versus the traditional grub. I will be asking 01micko and WhoDo whose opinions will carry great weight as always.
I have NOT played around with frugal/full PUPs. BUT, what Shinobar has done with LiveDVD/CD is a blessing for startup options for me. (appears he's using GRUB4DOS). Maybe its use with PUP5.2 LiveCD ISO is worth consideration. Expect, though, that some members may NOT appreciate this in the LiveCD. I think though, newbies and those of us with limited skills will clearly understand it at boot.

There is also, a lot of decent about which GRUBs. To keep it simple, maybe 5.2 should select one (4DOC/GRUB1/GRUB2) AND if others want to use 1 other than the out-of-the-box, some instructions somewhere could let "others" know how to change.

I am personally NOT opposed to either of the 3, 4DOC-GRUB1-GRUB2, because, they ALL WORK! (Although, I've read that GRUB2 is build with CDs, DVDs, SCSI, and external storage in mind.)

These are mere thoughts, ONLY!

playdayz

#456 Post by playdayz »

WhoDo has posted the following message,. which is very relevant to our project.
As the first person to release a version of Puppy with the default link to IRC #puppylinux, let me express my complete regret at that decision and the subsequent lemming-like tendancy of others to follow suit.

I thought I was helping new users by giving them direct access to a useful avenue of help 24/7. How wrong I was! Instead I exposed them to foul language, abuse and other equally valuable pursuits. Mea culpa.

@shariebeth - please leave the crap on IRC where it is entrenched! There are MINORS who frequent this board, as I have been reminded on more than one occasion!

@AJ - are you a 5th columnist for your current flavour of distribution and/or determined to ensure everyone has to resort to Arch Linux or similar? Iconoclasts only have a place where there are icons that need "clasting"! We're all communists here, when it comes to development anyway!

Complaints about actions on the IRC belong on the IRC, not here! Again, I suppose it's my fault for offering users the option back in the day of 2.15CE, and carrying that on ever since. I apologise.

@Devs - please preserve the sensibilities of our younger users and remove ALL references to IRC #puppylinux in future releases. Of course, since Puppy is a COMMUNITY RELEASE, that is a request not a demand!

*sigh*

playdayz

#457 Post by playdayz »

Sorry playdauz the updated firstrun-1.1 to be late for the Luci-234.
The update is for some hardware get black screen with wrong refresh rate.
The one in Luci-234, firstrun-1.0 avoid that but restarting X reverts the refresh rate and gets black screen (with some hardware).

But anyway bigpup proposed attractive solution. Calling for opinion from you all.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=115
Definitely no on locked 60Hz refresh. It would work but I could not watch it on my CRT monitor--60HZ is too low for CRT and flickers badly. It would be Ok for LCD's.

I must have just missed Firstrun 1.1. We will have luci-235 later this week--maybe sooner rather than later because 01micko has already posted some updates also. Thanks.

pemasu

#458 Post by pemasu »

I have felt the whole cascade of instances really sadful for everybody involved. Demanding control of irc from the forum members, posting harsh words ( they are harsh words even quoted ) to the thread leading to the deletion of the post and then inquisition to get moderator in charge who did it.

There was only one person army to make irc chatting more controlled. It lead to the opposite effect. Now irc is felt even more disgusting place.

I have spent now the second day in irc just to see what kind of place it is. It has been nice forum all the time. And I have had nice chat with people around the world. Also tried to help, sometimes succeeding in it.

It is never reasonable to ask help from the wrong place. If I have problems with my car, I call mechanic. I wont go to the doctor and tell how depressed I am because my broken car. It wont help my car and I have still need to pay the bill to the doctor.

I just hope that we can go on and concentrate to the positive things. Like developing and testing :)

dejan555

#459 Post by dejan555 »

Eh, don't want to bring over the arguement from another topic that's locked and make this thread into something it's not supposed to be but I feel like saying it so mods can as well delete this post if they find appropriate.

I'm not really sure what they wanted to achieve by those threads - to say that #puppylinux is not moderated and alienjeff is exception? That's bull, I don't see mine or paulhomebus's name in those logs and since we are the only 2 channel operators that are currently active noone was there to handle it. What is behind all this is that people wait for these trolls and then post logs to say how awefull channel is and unmoderated. You can open bunch of other channel but anyone can connect to any IRC channel and swear when no ops around. Also, bunch of people who discuss here on forums about IRC are barely present there and don't know that it's a great place and many, many users are really excited when they click on chat icon and join the puppyzone :)

So... add IRC to autoconnect or don't your choice playdayz but many cool and great people are there and occasional jerks like phormulate simply can't be avoided during to nature of IRC and lack of ops.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

playdayz

#460 Post by playdayz »

So... add IRC to autoconnect or don't your choice playdayz but many cool and great people are there and occasional jerks like phormulate simply can't be avoided during to nature of IRC and lack of ops.