woof-CE needs you

News, happenings
jlst

#561 Post by jlst »

Last edited by jlst on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 03:41, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Enceladus

#562 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

jlst, are you talking about 2.14 fans? Watching an old Classic Pup 214X, I was surprised how similar everything is to latest 6.x Puppies. I thought it would look a lot different. Mostly the same programs, heh. So I guess it's more about what actually boots?

wanderer

#563 Post by wanderer »

no problem
i'm cool with moving to the 214 thread
to encourage ttuuxxx to continue his efforts
hope to see you there

wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 13:24, edited 2 times in total.

jlst

#564 Post by jlst »

No need to worry..

Oh it looks really pretty here tonight. thank you for joining us tonight. we're now gonna take you to the battle field..

Now once upon a time - an old man told me a fable
When the piper is gone - and the soup is cold on your table
And if the black crow flies to find a new destination
That is the sign
Come tonight
Come to the ogre sight
Come to the ogre-battle-fight

He gives a great big cry and he can swallow up the ocean
With a mighty tongue he catches flies - the palm of a hand incredible size
One great big eye - has a focus in your direction
Now the battle is on
Yeah yeah yeah
Come tonight
Come to the ogre sight
Come to the ogre-battle-fight

Fa fa fa fa faa
Hoooa

The ogre-men are still inside
The two-way mirror mountain
You gotta keep down right out of sight
You can't see in, but they can see out
"Ooh keep a look out"
The ogre-men are coming out
From the two-way mirror mountain
They're running up behind and they're coming all about
Can't go east 'cause you gotta go south

Aaargh
Aaaaaaaarghh

Ogre-men are going home
The great big fight is over
Bugle blow, let trumpet cry
Ogre battle lives for ever more - oh oh oh
You can come along
You can come along
Come to ogre battle
Fa fa fa fa faaaaaaa

James C

#565 Post by James C »

greengeek

#566 Post by greengeek »

How does woof-ce handle UEFI - do recent woof pups have an inbuilt ability to help a user create a pup that can safely boot a modern machine and retain Windows? (not that I myself want windows, but I certainly don't want to blow away someones windows setup)

learnhow2code

#567 Post by learnhow2code »

greengeek wrote:do recent woof pups have an inbuilt ability to help a user create a pup that can safely boot a modern machine and retain Windows?
i dont know, but the most inbuilt ability is not actually inbuilt-- its things like grub4dos having ntfs/gpt support, and things like frugal installation with grub2 and other bootloaders that support uefi. its through such things that all pups can boot in what i think should be referred to as "environments that are hostile to gnu/linux installation." call them what you like, of course.

peebee

#568 Post by peebee »

greengeek wrote:How does woof-ce handle UEFI - do recent woof pups have an inbuilt ability to help a user create a pup that can safely boot a modern machine and retain Windows? (not that I myself want windows, but I certainly don't want to blow away someones windows setup)
Yes

01micko's lasted slacko's are built in woof-ce with uefi booting.

3builddistro-Z gives the option but you must include grub2-efi64 in your build.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

foxpup

Re: wary, BSD, Tiny C, microsaurus

#569 Post by foxpup »

ttuuxxx wrote:Could it be a common Project? I wouldn't want it any other way. :), I really enjoy community input.
What I meant: could "project ttuuxx" and "project technosaurus" put their heads together for 1 project? Or are the goals, means etc. too much different?

There are a lot of puplets made now, but I miss the one big puppy distro, one flagship, skillful and creative. And I wonder if, I feel that this could be IT.

foxpup

#570 Post by foxpup »

@jlst

I am glad to here of you again!
No need to worry anymore :-)

foxpup

Re: wary, BSD, Tiny C, microsaurus

#571 Post by foxpup »

ttuuxxx wrote: It just needs so much work now to stay up with the latest browser dependencies. Its like a domino effect all the way down to changing glibc,gcc again.
Same thing in Wary and even in Tahr already!
I have to remaster them a bit for ff, LO, audio/video ... if I want the latest.

But the touch and feel of a distro is yet another thing and that is more lasting. For me 214X sticks. I liked XP too (sorry ;-) )
Last edited by foxpup on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer

#572 Post by wanderer »

foxpup

#573 Post by foxpup »

from the 214X thread
ttuuxxx wrote: I'm also working on another project, early stages for that one :)
ttuuxxx
Great!!!
Give us a wake up call when it's ready for a community project.

slavvo67

#574 Post by slavvo67 »

This might not belong here but does woof-ce have a road-map as to what applications control which items? For example, mouse control. What program or pet needs to be installed via woof to identify mouse/keyboard on startup.

Thanks,

Slavvo67

666philb

#575 Post by 666philb »

slavvo67 wrote:This might not belong here but does woof-ce have a road-map as to what applications control which items? For example, mouse control. What program or pet needs to be installed via woof to identify mouse/keyboard on startup.

Thanks,

Slavvo67
hi Slavvo67,

xorg drivers control the mouse. see barry k's post here
http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00317

i did try using the evdev method with xenialpup and it worked for the mouse but i had some keyboard problems that i was too lazy to trouble shoot, so in the end used xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse.
they are depreciated and are not in the xenial repos so had to be compiled agianst xenials xorg.

barry already did this for xenial 64 and they are in the repo on ibiblio.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

slavvo67

#576 Post by slavvo67 »

Thanks again, Phil. You always seem to come through with some additional insight. I've been having some issues with the Xenial mouse and keyboard, at times but it's generally been limited to when the system is using a lot of its resources. I sometimes us mouse and/or keyboard when using WoofQ when creating distro or sometimes when installing to USB. Annoying but livable.

But the reason I was inquiring is that I was trying to take the guts of Quirky Werewolf and use for a 32bit Franken Xerus, so to speak. Boots okay but no mouse, no keyboard so your explanation helps a lot.

Thanks,

Slavvo67

01micko

#577 Post by 01micko »

The real problem lies in the xorg.conf ... specifically this line ..

Code: Select all

Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
It should be set to "true" and let udev (eudev) choose the devices that are loaded. (solves a bunch of issues on modern kit including "touchscreen").
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

slavvo67

#578 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi 01micko!

Thanks for chiming in, here. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Perhaps I'm setting the Xorg options in the wrong spot. Would I do this in the rootfs-skeleton? No luck, there....

Slavvo67

Sailor Enceladus

#579 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Here's a few warning/errors I get in 3builddistro-Z when building Slacko 14.2 32-bit.

Before "Creating file woof-installed-packages..." (any packages with - in the name):

/tmp/rootfs_choice6020: line 6: grub2-efi64=true: command not found
In "Copying to sandbox3/rootfs-complete...":

eudevcp: Cannot stat 'packages-slacko/eudev/run/*'
Before "Now building initial ramdisk in initrd-tree/":

cp: cannot stat '/mnt/sda2/test/woof-out_x86_x86_slackware_14.2/support/arch/runDotInstalls': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access 'rootfs-complete/usr/local/petget/ArchRunDotInstalls': No such file or directory
In "ENTER only to strip, any other printable character to decline":

find: `rootfs-complete/usr/X11R7': No such file or directory
Before "Certain Xorg drivers require KMS (Kernel ModeSetting)":

cp: cannot stat '../packages-slacko/pango_DEV/usr/bin/pango-querymodules': No such file or directory
zz: line1: /usr/bin/pango-querymodules: not found
I'm guessing these are not a big deal and can be ignored? Just wanted to make sure.

slavvo67

#580 Post by slavvo67 »

Perhaps it would be used more if it were pointing to the correct repositories! I just tried Woof-Rationalize Debian Wheezy and 1/2 the packages weren't found on download.

You can make a million updates but if the repositories aren't pointing to the right place; what's the point!!

:(