Quirky Linux 7.2 released, now 7.2.3

Please post any bugs you have found
mpanek60

quirky 7.2.1 32 bit installer

#61 Post by mpanek60 »

So, I had to successfully install using the old 4install (non gui). Note: md5sum was good :)
linuxcbon

#62 Post by linuxcbon »

I changed the prefs.js as in the blog :

- This one doesn't work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ip8ihldoBg
"An error occurred. Please try again later." (Mime Type: video/webm; codecs="vp9")

- But this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6w6UpRiukk works to 1080p. (Mime Type: video/webm; codecs="vp9")
scsijon

H264 +

#63 Post by scsijon »

little note:

HTML5 > H.264 needs a plugin for firefox 23+, 41.0.1 works ok for most back to puppy 5.5. It also needs gstreamer plus appropriate gstreamer codecs to get any decent framerates. I suspect sm is the same. Also without mse you can only usually have 360/720, in the firefox plugin is a setting to allow firefox to emmulate IE, but also you need enough video 'card' memory if you want the higher definitions.

related to my earlier note and answers:

1- thanks I suspected it;

2- the bleeding also happens if the gtktheme has other strong colours such as purple (red tinge) and orange (yellow again). This also affects picture and graphics packages, ?is there a way to fix it other than using light coloured 'backgrounds'? I'm involved in manga scanlation and anime subtitling and the bleeding is just 'not on' for affecting releases.

3- ok that makes sense thanks.

4- I was sort of hoping there was an easy way to do a bulk change so other puppies can use newly built T2 packages. ?Or is it possible to have a open or install routine choice for .bz2 packages in puppy, I keep clicking to install forgetting it's an open package by default. Only finding when it has finally opened up.

thanks again
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: H264 +

#64 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote: 4- I was sort of hoping there was an easy way to do a bulk change so other puppies can use newly built T2 packages. ?Or is it possible to have a open or install routine choice for .bz2 packages in puppy, I keep clicking to install forgetting it's an open package by default. Only finding when it has finally opened up.
I did actually do a bulk conversion to PETs awhile back, you will find them at:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... ges-april/

Although I did that, I don't use those PETs to build Quirky, only a few PETs out of that "april" repo, and some "common" and "noarch" PETs.

woofQ has a script for doing the bulk conversion, named 'compat2pet'.

But, any pup can install the T2 binary .tar.bz2 packages. In the PPM in Quirky, they are in the "april" repo.
From the commandline, any pup can install one:
# petget `pwd`/nameofpkg.tar.bz2
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]
gcmartin

#65 Post by gcmartin »

On an earlier April64-v7.2 report, I found that there were problems accessing the internet even though LAN accesses were working. This occurs running the system from a DVD created from the v7.2 ISO. Further on that same PC, a 2014 Dell touch all-in-one (AIO), the LAN connection for LAN services would come and go regularly.

On 2 of my other desktops, I am not seeing this same problem when running. Thus, one conclusion is that it is isolated to the AIO.

Question
To provide a useful report of the problem AIO LAN/WAN issues I see, what info would anyone be like to see to diagnose this? I suspect a adapter-driver mismatch but wondering what methods to ID it to prove it.

Curious for methods to diagnose this condition.

Edited: Indicates April version and boot material usage.
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 17:11, edited 2 times in total.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#66 Post by Flash »

I must be doing something wrong because Quirky won't Save to a DVD for me. I booted the Quirky DVD, got everything set up the way I wanted, installed a few .pets, then clicked the Save icon and, I'm pretty sure, followed the directions. Quirky said stuff was going on, but the DVD drive light never came on and the blank DVD stayed blank even though Quirky said it was done. I looked for an .iso but could not find one. Where is the new .iso supposed to be?
linuxcbon

#67 Post by linuxcbon »

April 7.2 :
- Hardinfo : Display : Direct Rendering : No. (with a radeon HD3200)
sszindian

DVD Burn

#68 Post by sszindian »

As per FLASH's post above.....

Burned (or so I thought) a DVD a few days ago like FLASH did but knowing BK and his innovations, figured the drive-light was some kind of over-ride... Just checked the DVD now since FLASH's post... be darned... exactly the same thing... NO ISO!!!! still a 'blank' DVD!

>>>---Indian------>

PS: (Also still no HP printer solution from previous posts?)
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]
gcmartin

#69 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Flash

I got my ISO from the Netherland's mirror and checked it against the MD5SUM on same site.

I did create a "save" after my tailoring but dont remember which Multimedia tool I used, pBurn or peasydisk, to blank the CDRW I am using on April64-72 before attempting to use the "save" utility (icon on the April desktop). But, I did end with a new bootable CD with all my settings saved. (P.S. I had to blank it 3 times to get a blank without errors before proceeding. I think I may have used peasydisk to blank, now that I think about it.)

For another ISO that I burned using April, to a new DVD-R, I ended with a corrupted burn. I am not at liberty to point the finger at the burn utility or if its a problem with the distro on this AIO PC. I have reported other issues and it may have affected that burn of a 4.3GB ISO.

Just some ideas from my experiences with April64-72 running from the DVD created by its ISO, thus far.
gcmartin

#70 Post by gcmartin »

@BarryK. Would this be helpful for the config changes you recommend for SeaMonkey?
stoneguy

Re HP printer

#71 Post by stoneguy »

I'm working with the 32-bit version, so I don't expect what was provided would be relevant. I installed the devx package on my system, and am completely at home compiling things in the Debian world, so I'd be able to take a whack at compiling those 2 pieces for myself. Just don't know what the drill is to produce something that PPM can deal with. Someone pointing me a good HOWTO would be appreciated.

Edit:

Subsequently got hplip-3.15.9 and net-snmp-5.7.2.1 built. Got excited about connecting to the CUPS web server, and the PPD library offering one relevant to my printer. However, printing the test job returns "undefined in get".
Last edited by stoneguy on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
gcmartin

On DELL AIO, LAN services is severely impacted

#72 Post by gcmartin »

Update on the problem: below, I have attached a text file showing the PC hardware and what the system has seen with April's running.

Please help if you can on "why this particular system is having problems running on the AIO PC?"

Thanks in advance for any guidance on the problem.
Attachments
CPU4April.txt.fake.gz
Remove the "fake.gz" extension to view in a text editor
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
stoneguy

On DELL AIO, LAN services is severely impacted

#73 Post by stoneguy »

BarryK
Puppy Master

#74 Post by BarryK »

For translators, there is a new MoManager from L18L:

http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00275

It will be in the next Quirky, but you can grab L18L's PET if you want it now.
L18L

mdview

#75 Post by L18L »

http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00275 wrote:So yeah, mdview does have an attraction for simple help files.
The translation support is good too.
Here is how it has grown:
I have been using a web server for using gettexted help files.
James came up with his version of mdview,
there was (and is) a mode -x which can execute shell code.
I used this for $(gettext '....').
James had the idea of gettexting automatically entire lines...
... without --exec mode.

Yeah, thus it is for simple files only.

The advantage:
1- Content of help files changes. :wink:
2- Translated help files will never be changed. :x
3- If you change a phrase in a gettexted file, and translation is not (yet) updated,
then the info of this file is true though obviously not translated. 8)
4- If you change a phrase in a simple help file, and translation is not (yet) updated,
then the info of this file has become not true. :P
5- Translator sees .po files as usual. :D
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Re HP printer

#76 Post by BarryK »

stoneguy wrote:I'm working with the 32-bit version, so I don't expect what was provided would be relevant. I installed the devx package on my system, and am completely at home compiling things in the Debian world, so I'd be able to take a whack at compiling those 2 pieces for myself. Just don't know what the drill is to produce something that PPM can deal with. Someone pointing me a good HOWTO would be appreciated.
If you need to know about creating PET packages, see here:

http://puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm
BarryK
Puppy Master

#77 Post by BarryK »

no2tm wrote:Required, support for the m4b file format:

Code: Select all

ln -fnsv /usr/local/bin/defaultaudioplayer /root/Choices/MIME-types/audio_x-m4b
I downloaded two examples from here, a .m4b and a .m4a

Tried them with 'xine' and 'aplay', they just play garbage sound (I don't mean horrible music! the first gave only a single thump-sound then silnce, the .m4a just gave whistles and other random noises).
gcmartin

System LAN/WAN behavior differs from April64 vs April32

#78 Post by gcmartin »

Update on the LAN/WAN issues seen in April64-72: I DO NOT HAVE THE PROBLEMS in April32-721.

The report attached shows PupInfo logs about system.

What would contribute to the LAN/WAN in April64, yet not be present in April32? Hope something can be spot to resolve the problem before the next April64 upgrade.

Any additional information needed from me about the system and its behavior, feel free to ask or contact me.
DanielSong39

#79 Post by DanielSong39 »

I upgraded to Quirky 7.2 yesterday. I have the 32-bit version.

I can no longer boot. Xwin does not work. When I typed in Xorgwizard, I got the following message: "Sorry, cannot find where Xorg is installed, quiting."

I also tried pressing F2 at prompt. I tried several options. System check yielded nothing, I could not roll back, and I got another error message concerning my display.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions; otherwise, I'll have to try a clean install.
DanielSong39

#80 Post by DanielSong39 »

I also got the following error when I pressed F2:

Desktop fail: Black-screen/hangs, press reset or hold power-button down 4 secs: next bootup will force run of VideoWizard: choose alternate driver/settings.

I did that, but the video wizard did not run.