PupFlux, PupFluxLite & now PupFlux421

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
steve_s

#81 Post by steve_s »

Eastern Counties wrote:Its OK, steve_s, I've followed what you did in creating PupFlux, and converted my standard Puppy412 to Fluxbox. All working fine now.

John
glad to see you got it working, John. Yeah, you had something in your save file that was kicking it back to JWM. There is a file that does that automatically..what was it...here it is: /etc/windowmanager. That gets rewritten whenever you reboot/restart x in a different window manager. it seems for some reason yours wasn't getting rewritten. So, you would have had to reboot into fluxbox then manually go in and change that and make sure it saved that way. Had to do that first time I was figuring this out and remastering...glad you got it working! 8)

redandwhitestripes

#82 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Hi, I'm trying to run aspell but I get a message saying "gcc+ compiler not found"

When trying to run aspell, I then get an error: "line xxx not found"
(It doesn't say 'xxx' I just can't recall the line number)

The same package installed fine on boxpup.

Any ideas?

Still love this distro though, use it at work every day.

redandwhitestripes

#83 Post by redandwhitestripes »

(deleted double post)
Last edited by redandwhitestripes on Thu 11 Jun 2009, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

steve_s

#84 Post by steve_s »

redandwhitestripes wrote:Hi, I'm trying to run aspell but I get a message saying "gcc+ compiler not found"

When trying to run aspell, I then get an error: "line xxx not found"
(It doesn't say 'xxx' I just can't recall the line number)

The same package installed fine on boxpup.

Any ideas?

Still love this distro though, use it at work every day.
Yeah, this distro doesn't have any kind of compiler installed...I'm pretty sure you would want to add dev stuff to it...from Barry's site:
Puppy has an incredibly simple system for converting into a full C/C++ compiling environment. A single file, devx_xxx.sfs, is all that is required. The "xxx" in the filename is the version number, for example, Puppy 2.10 will be "210".
So I don't know if boxpup has anything native in it or not...in other words, it may have something like that included, therefore the program that you added would compile better there...here you would just have to add the necessary packages.

Of course, that's my guess...any others have a suggestion please post...

You might see if there is another aspell package out there that has what you are missing in this distro?

Tweenman

How do I download PupFlux?

#85 Post by Tweenman »

Hello,

Is there another place to download PupFlux? I tried to get a copy of Pupflux using the torrent link; ctorrent was running all night, and it didn't download one bit.

Thanks in advance.

steve_s

Re: How do I download PupFlux?

#86 Post by steve_s »

Tweenman wrote:Hello,

Is there another place to download PupFlux? I tried to get a copy of Pupflux using the torrent link; ctorrent was running all night, and it didn't download one bit.

Thanks in advance.
Howdy, Tweenman...check the second post in this topic, the one that MU did...he rocks...he put PupFlux on his site and I just saw it there, so it should be a direct download...note the username and password he mentions. 8)

Tweenman

thanks

#87 Post by Tweenman »

Tweenman

What happened to the save icon?

#88 Post by Tweenman »

Hello,

How to I save my settings?

steve_s

Re: What happened to the save icon?

#89 Post by steve_s »

Tweenman wrote:Hello,

How to I save my settings?
Ok, I just realized that you are new to the game, yeah? In Puppy, to save settings when you are shutting down/rebooting it gives you the option of creating a save file.

If you want to be able to save your settings then you'll need a save file.

That way, when Puppy boots back up it will see the save file and use it (unless you tell it not to).

Then all your settings are saved.

With this process Puppy has the ability to be amazingly portable. For example, on my personal laptop I have a saved file of all my stuff. I then decided I wanted to use it all on another computer.

Just copy the save file to the new computer, boot with the livecd and now I have my laptop's save file recreated on the new computer... 8)

That's what you are asking about, yeah?

linus1972

#90 Post by linus1972 »

Hello, was just wondering if you are still having problems hosting pupflux?
I apologize that I have not read all 6 pages of this post, but if you still need a kennel for pupflux please post a reply
:lol:

steve_s

#91 Post by steve_s »

linus1972 wrote:Hello, was just wondering if you are still having problems hosting pupflux?
I apologize that I have not read all 6 pages of this post, but if you still need a kennel for pupflux please post a reply
:lol:
If you check the second post on the first page you'll see that Mark picked it up...but, of course, any help that you can give him would be very appreciated by everyone, of course. Nothing like sharing the band width... 8)

James C

#92 Post by James C »

I've downloaded and tried both of your puplets, PupFlux and PupFluxlite..Great job!

I liked yours so much I threw together my own Fluxbox pup, as an experiment.I started with a pretty bare 66 mb Puppy 4.20, kept both JWM and ICEWM and added Fluxbox.

Your 2 puplets are much more refined than mine, I've got a lot of tweaking to do.Then again, no one will probably ever see mine. :) :)

Anyway, very nice puplets!!!!

steve_s

#93 Post by steve_s »

James C wrote:I've downloaded and tried both of your puplets, PupFlux and PupFluxlite..Great job!

I liked yours so much I threw together my own Fluxbox pup, as an experiment.I started with a pretty bare 66 mb Puppy 4.20, kept both JWM and ICEWM and added Fluxbox.

Your 2 puplets are much more refined than mine, I've got a lot of tweaking to do.Then again, no one will probably ever see mine. :) :)

Anyway, very nice puplets!!!!
Very nice! Great to hear it! yeah, I lean towards the eye candy, hence the refining...but it's great to hear you are continuing the trend; that's the ultimate goal that puppy can keep spreading out... 8)

linus1972

#94 Post by linus1972 »

Hello Steve_s,
Just asking, but is there anyway you could cut a PupFlux-Lite
that is suitable for Qemu?
Somehow strip out printing, and whatever else is unnecessary, but not sound?
A boon for a boon, I will repay the favor with a gift of my own.:)
I have little experience with puppy, and have no idea how to slim down pupfluxlite.
great cut though, it runs nicely off my usb
thanks

Tweenman

Reply to steve_s

#95 Post by Tweenman »

Ok, I just realized that you are new to the game, yeah? In Puppy, to save settings when you are shutting down/rebooting it gives you the option of creating a save file.

That way, when Puppy boots back up it will see the save file and use it (unless you tell it not to).
No, what I meant is PupFlux installed fine all three times, but when I shutdown the computer it gives me a blank screen and then it sits there, none of the keys work, for about 30 seconds or so, ctr+alt+del will cause the save to file or drive options, but that screen is frozen and don't come unfrozen.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

steve_s

#96 Post by steve_s »

linus1972 wrote:Hello Steve_s,
Just asking, but is there anyway you could cut a PupFlux-Lite
that is suitable for Qemu?
Somehow strip out printing, and whatever else is unnecessary, but not sound?
A boon for a boon, I will repay the favor with a gift of my own.:)
I have little experience with puppy, and have no idea how to slim down pupfluxlite.
great cut though, it runs nicely off my usb
thanks
Hmmm...I don't know what to get rid of as Pupfluxlite is, well, lite, already, as in nothing added. Ideas about what to get rid of?

steve_s

Re: Reply to steve_s

#97 Post by steve_s »

Tweenman wrote:

No, what I meant is PupFlux installed fine all three times, but when I shutdown the computer it gives me a blank screen and then it sits there, none of the keys work, for about 30 seconds or so, ctr+alt+del will cause the save to file or drive options, but that screen is frozen and don't come unfrozen.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
We're missing something, so list out exactly what you are doing and maybe something will come to light. I don't know what is happening to your system...

You have it installed? Or not? When you shut it down, does it ask you at that time to save it? Are you using a livecd?

gawth_slacker

PupFlux

#98 Post by gawth_slacker »

I think it would be really nice to have a barebones version of PupFlux to add one own preferences of apps to it. I used the PupFlux that was available for download and loved it but didnt like the apps that came with it and I am not well versed in manipulating ISO images. I have burned my own with apps of my choice installed but still have to original apps in it also and it seems to slow it down a bit. I figured that if all the other apps were absent it would run much better, plus I would love to have the 4.2 or latest version of puppy kernel defaulted.

steve_s

Re: PupFlux

#99 Post by steve_s »

gawth_slacker wrote:I think it would be really nice to have a barebones version of PupFlux to add one own preferences of apps to it. I used the PupFlux that was available for download and loved it but didnt like the apps that came with it and I am not well versed in manipulating ISO images. I have burned my own with apps of my choice installed but still have to original apps in it also and it seems to slow it down a bit. I figured that if all the other apps were absent it would run much better, plus I would love to have the 4.2 or latest version of puppy kernel defaulted.
I might get a chance to play with this, but in the mean time, you are quite welcome...check the puplets and find one that is bare bones...look early in this thread and you'll see a post that explains where I got the fluxbox pet and you can set it up yourself...just one thread to another to another...nothing to it. 8)

But if I do re-do one, I'll post it on this thread first...

Or, of course, if you do, then feel free to post here if you want or start your own thread, etc. 8)

gawth_slacker

Fluxbox Puppy 4.2.1?

#100 Post by gawth_slacker »

I love PupFlux. I keep going back to it from all my searching for a version of Puppy I can benefit from more than this, but nothing has kept me more than a day or two.

I am wondering if there will be any future PupFlux versions for 4.2.1 or maybe a PupFlux Bare Bones, which would be very kewl indeed. I usually dont care much for most the preinstalled apps that come with just about any distro but have not become fluent in removing preinstalled apps with out a package manager that woudl allow me to do so, and the Puppy package manager doesnt seem to have a way of doing that.

Firefox or Opera
Thunderbird
GQView
Gimp
OO.o
XChat
Pidgin
PCManFM
Leafpad

Those are my choices for the main apps. Other apps that are preinstalled are ok like the following:

the default screen capture on Puppy
the network set up app
Xlock
a commandline
screensaver
wouldnt mind the Puppy Package manager to stay
the Check Dependencies for installed pkgs
all the Fluxbox menu items
etc...just not extra main stream apps like calculators and office stuff, browsers, image editors, etc...

If anyone was interested in trying to create a PupFlux with 4.2.1 with the apps I discribed, I would consider even paying for their work if it wasnt unreasonable. I really like the job done on PupFlux and would love to see something with out the unnecessary extra apps. More choice of which main stream apps is very appealing.

Hope this is considered and would love to see it manifested in the next PupFlux version. Either way, Great job on this Puppy version!!!

P.S. I really dont like that little volume control that pops up in the lower left corner. Not sure how to remove it.