Bad Habbits Windows Users bring to Linux (not just Puppy)

Booting, installing, newbie
mikeb

#81 Post by mikeb »

Install the SUPERB Xfe from the instructions/links here.
yes that 2 pane folders only view with path at the top makes my heart glow... :D ...

mike
enhu

#82 Post by enhu »

i dont get it. is there an anti virus for puppy?
trio

#83 Post by trio »

enhu wrote:i dont get it. is there an anti virus for puppy?
You'll carry medicine only when you're infected...or if you're a doctor...puppy is doctor :lol:
Sylvander

#84 Post by Sylvander »

avast4workstation-1.0.8.pet
Username = puppy
Password = linux
Enter them twice perhaps?

md5sum

You'll need to get a registration key by registering here.
Then they send you an email...
And you click on a link to get the key...
Then install the program, reboot, run the program, insert the key in the special box.
I like this Avast on-demand scanner; you can tell it what to scan [(Windows?)->partition/folder/file]...
And it lists all suspect items found.

See lots more Puppy Linux goodies here in my thread at the PC-Guide forums.
Begin at the end and work back to the beginning.
steve_s

#85 Post by steve_s »

This is sort of the other side of the coin, but I think it can be mentioned in this thread:

When someone asks a question about how to find something or do something via command line, the response is "check man (whatever the command is)." That is a common Linux response.

Now, I've used Linux for about ten years, but that response still annoys me.

I know that the intent for the person giving this instruction is to give the person seeking the answer the most thorough complete response possible and to encourage the person seeking the answer to do their own research. Trust me, I'm all for that; I'm a learning junky.

But there is a certain point where this does nothing but turn away the person asking the question.

For example (a non-Linux example): I want to know what the Spanish word for "nose" is. The same linux-ish response would be "Here is the manual for Spanish; just look through there and you'll find it."

Almost everyone coming from Windows would be frustrated with this answer (I know I was). A happy medium/more suitable response would be: The spanish word for "nose" is "la nariz." And if you wanted to learn more about Spanish, then here is the manual.

I just mention this so that after years and years of using Linux (like myself) I don't forget that giving someone a quick and helpful answer can frequently lead to more research simply to learn more, even if it doesn't immediately seem that way. 8)
bob_v5

#86 Post by bob_v5 »

I had problems with the xfe link above. It might just have been my machine. I figured would post a link to the thread about how I fixed it in case anyone else has problems.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 828#315828