Wary Release Candidate (104) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
rjbrewer

Re: dell inspiron 700m fails to shutdown/restart

#81 Post by rjbrewer »

broomdodger wrote:dell inspiron 700m fails to shutdown
wary 104
Often but not always when selecting restart or shutdown the screen goes black and then nothing, no text about saving... just black.
Sometimes it works correctly.

Any suggestions, what to check?

Everything else seems good, SeaMonkey scrolls ok.

wary 104 on acer travelmate 4670 shutdown/restart -- no problem.

-Bill
I have a few 098 and 104 full installs on my 700m.

When installing I choose i810 when loading X.
Works fine.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

jrb

#82 Post by jrb »

gerry wrote:So question now is: what's wrong with using ext2?

Gerry
I have had success with using ext3 usbflash drives, haven't tried ext2.

I formatted the drive and set boot flag in Gparted then installed Grub4dos from the system menu. Installed puppy as per any frugal install and then edited menu.lst. Works fine.

Cheers, J

rjbrewer

#83 Post by rjbrewer »

gerry wrote:
So question now is: what's wrong with using ext2?

Gerry
Nothings wrong:

Wary 104 with a copy of the iso (mounted).
Gparted ext2 on flash drive, set boot flag.
Universal installer installed 104 to flash; chose defaults.
Rebooted; worked fine.
Installing grub is not necessary.
edit:
Install from live cd works just as well.
Attachments
usbflash ext2.png
(51.22 KiB) Downloaded 393 times

Full installs

scsijon

#84 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:scsijon reported on my blog that if choose to download-only PET packages and not install, the .pet pkgs get converted to .tar.gz in /root.

Hmmm, yes. I only ever tested that with .deb pkgs before.

I have fixed it, script /usr/local/petget/verifypkg.sh, attached.

I had better tell playdayz about this too, so he can slip it into Luci before release.
Works perfectly now thanks,

However i've found another for you with ppm i'm afraid.

If the pet has dependancies you can save without install after downloading, you get the screen asking what to do!
If the pet doesn't have dependancies you can't, you don't get the screen asking whether you want to save or install, it just installs and deletes the downloaded pet.

On the other hand I now have Eudora OSE up and running for wary5, it's at http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy_eudora.html, there are two dependancies (which are in the tree already), I have copies on the Eudora page and yes they are marked in the pet as dependancies.

have fun.

broomdodger

#85 Post by broomdodger »

rjbrewer wrote:
broomdodger wrote:dell inspiron 700m fails to shutdown
wary 104
Often but not always when selecting restart or shutdown the screen goes black and then nothing, no text about saving... just black.
Sometimes it works correctly.

Any suggestions, what to check?

Everything else seems good, SeaMonkey scrolls ok.

wary 104 on acer travelmate 4670 shutdown/restart -- no problem.

-Bill
I have a few 098 and 104 full installs on my 700m.

When installing I choose i810 when loading X.
Works fine.
Thank you rjbrewer.
Now that it is installed, where do I find that option?
PS wary104 frugal.

rjbrewer

#86 Post by rjbrewer »

broomdodger wrote: Now that it is installed, where do I find that option?
PS wary104 frugal.
menu
setup
xorgwizard
xorg
choose
i810
ok
ok, or 'more' to change resolution

Full installs

BarryK
Puppy Master

#87 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:
BarryK wrote:scsijon reported on my blog that if choose to download-only PET packages and not install, the .pet pkgs get converted to .tar.gz in /root.

Hmmm, yes. I only ever tested that with .deb pkgs before.

I have fixed it, script /usr/local/petget/verifypkg.sh, attached.

I had better tell playdayz about this too, so he can slip it into Luci before release.
Works perfectly now thanks,

However i've found another for you with ppm i'm afraid.

If the pet has dependancies you can save without install after downloading, you get the screen asking what to do!
If the pet doesn't have dependancies you can't, you don't get the screen asking whether you want to save or install, it just installs and deletes the downloaded pet.

On the other hand I now have Eudora OSE up and running for wary5, it's at http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy_eudora.html, there are two dependancies (which are in the tree already), I have copies on the Eudora page and yes they are marked in the pet as dependancies.

have fun.
yeah, I know about that peculiarity. I have made a note for it to be fixed in the future.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

gerry

#88 Post by gerry »

Well, I did EXACTLY what rjbrewer described, on TWO flash drives, and neither worked. My Gparted screen looked EXACTLY the same his. The only thing that was different was that I didn't reboot, as the only computer I have that will boot from a flash drive is the AA1, so I moved the flash from the old machine (yes, I did check that it was unmounted first) to the AA1 (which is why I needed to install to a flash drive).

So the only difference between the drives that worked and those that didn't was that the one that finally worked was the one that was originally ext2, but reformatted FAT32, and the failures were formatted ext2. Apart from that, they went through exactly the same process.

gerry

Sage

#89 Post by Sage »

neither worked
You seem to be unaware of the extensive discussions we had about 3-4yrs ago. There are plenty of USB sticks that simply cannot be made to work with any distro. They seem to have made their way to GB & Oz - see the grief BK reported at the time.

What's the problem? You can fit most mainline Puppies onto an 8cm CD. MeanPup fits onto a credit card CD. Other folks have promised ~50Mb .iso s, too. CD s are likely to last up to ~100yrs, if you're lucky, with infinite use. Flash storage is always vulnerable (esp. if you dismantle dead HD s or play with dead magnetrons!) and write-limited. Ask mother/WAG to fit a wider pocket on your favourite shirt with an 8cm+delta aperture?!

rjbrewer

#90 Post by rjbrewer »

gerry wrote:Well, I did EXACTLY what rjbrewer described, on TWO flash drives, and neither worked. My Gparted screen looked EXACTLY the same his. The only thing that was different was that I didn't reboot, as the only computer I have that will boot from a flash drive is the AA1, so I moved the flash from the old machine

gerry
To boot a flash drive on an older machine that doesn't have usb boot
capability;

Insert the live cd,
when it gets to boot screen, immediately type "puppy pmedia=usbflash" (no quotes).

Full installs

gerry

#91 Post by gerry »

Thanks, that's a useful one.

gerry

technosaurus

#92 Post by technosaurus »

It would be nice if the startup message would fork (yaf-splash ... &) so that the remainder of the processes could start to allow usage of tray applets such as SNS and also to click to start instead of mouseover. I am often inadvertently mousing over the damn thing and unintentionallly getting the popup message, but sometimes intentionally (though I really just end up closing the window) - to get access to the tray applets - very quirky.

sidebar: I have been working on a puppy script library called bashbox that incorporates(almost) all woof scripts as functions (and many more) in a single file... having non-function characters (such as .,-,...) does make it a bit harder. For instance my version is yaf_splash (which gets around the duplicate naming also) So far it seems quicker for most larger scripts, compression is better and it is easy to work with using geany's "code-folding" & great for refactoring to reduce bloat ... other than that it works pretty much the same as busybox (either by symlinks or by bashbox <function> [args])
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

BarryK
Puppy Master

#93 Post by BarryK »

Well, I have had my toe in the water long enough, decided to jump in. Wary 5.0-final has been released, see announcement:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02057

Forum thread for feedback:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63400
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

ravensrest

#94 Post by ravensrest »

Copied files directly from the 28 Dec iso to my Wary 104 partition. Upgraded beautifully, and all is running fine.
BS

Sage

#95 Post by Sage »

Problem with ISA sound card - FULL install doesn't remember ALSA settings and tray icon shows x-out each boot up. Probably need to manually write in some settings? Normally, expect everything saved in FULL installations? Same with Final 5.0.
Help appreciated.