Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
edoc

#901 Post by edoc »

pemasu wrote:Edoc. Try in console: killall -9 seamonkey. And you cant update Seamonkey, it is already the newest atm. I mean if you use 5.X.6.
I suggest you to try pristine fresh frugall install without using savefile from previous version and check if Seamonkey works then. Previous version savefile generated problems are so usual.

Code: Select all

killall -9 seamonkey
nets this reply:
killall: seamonkey: no process killed
So I cleaned up some old directories with savefiles from 5X5 and 4.9 but that didn't help.

Then I moved the savefile for 5X6 and rebooted and that worked.

I remembered that I had symlinked to the old settings for Seamonkey - that must have been the problem.

I should not have to re-create the address book, bookmarks, mail folders and accounts for 7 E-mails, etc. every time I upgrade Puppy - I need to spot why the file in .mozilla that has worked fine for 20 other Puplets suddenly creates a conflict in 5X6.

Is it the newest version of Seamonkey that fails to play nicely with this file from prior Seamonkey versions?

Or could it be something in 5X6, please?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pemasu

#902 Post by pemasu »

Edoc. I really cant help much with your problem. But...time will tell...

jim3630

#903 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. For e17 desktop, it needs more tricks. Take a working Firefox or Seamonkey.desktop file from /usr/share/applications. Where ever you get them. Copy them or which ever you want to /root/Desktop folder. Open it as text with right click. Change the Exec row to point from where you launch. It can be symlink location also. You can edit the Name row also, it is the row which will show the Icon name in desktop.
Point also the Icon row to the location of the icon.
Placing the appDOTdesktop files to the /root/Desktop is the needed location so that e17 will show them as executable icons.
Thats it. If I havent got it all wrong.

pemasu it worked!
Take a working Firefox or Seamonkey.desktop file from /usr/share/applications. Where ever you get them.
is /usr/share/applications in the savefile? don't think is in savefile so what advantage having it somewhere else?

pemasu

#904 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. /usr/share/applications has all those menu entries needed applications DOTdesktop files in main sfs already. When you install applications which have menu entry so that you can launch them from menu,the installing pet or sfs adds one more /usr/share/applications/appDOTdesktop file, these are in your savefile after you have saved the session.

I just meant that I dont know from where you have for example the needed firefox.desktop file, I showed you the way how to obtain it.

jim3630

#905 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. /usr/share/applications has all those menu entries needed applications DOTdesktop files in main sfs already. When you install applications which have menu entry so that you can launch them from menu,the installing pet or sfs adds one more /usr/share/applications/appDOTdesktop file, these are in your savefile after you have saved the session.

I just meant that I dont know from where you have for example the needed firefox.desktop file, I showed you the way how to obtain it.
thanks that's good to know.

don570

bug solved

#906 Post by don570 »

I think I solved the bug in pfind 422

All that was needed was a simple change in
one line.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 177#563177

I'm still working on Quick Launch.
I'll add on some Rox bookmarks.

davids45

#907 Post by davids45 »

G'day edoc,
I've occasionally had the problem you described with Seamonkey. It has been due to lost links to the common profile held on my data partition. Like you do, I do this so that I can share this to all Pups rather than re-create everything with each new Pup.

I don't think it's just the latest Seamonkey as such that gave you the problem, but it may be the way Seamonkey had been installed into the particular Pup.

Seamonkeys 2.1+ seem to have changed the way they handle bookmarks such that the common profile no longer works for my bookmarks - my e-mail & address books are still good.

So I just delete the bookmark-unfriendly new Seamonkey folder in /usr/lib and copy/link the /usr/lib/seamonkey/ from a 2.0.13 version on my data partition and all is as I want it. Sometimes I need to change the seamonkey symlink in /usr/bin so that it points to the Seamonkey I want. My present master profile (made in 2.0.4 I think) so far hasn't had a problem with any newer Seamonkey. I also have an older master profile for the pre-Seamonkey-2 versions favoured by Barry K.

Updates for working-OK programs seem often fraught with problems, don't they?

David S.

majorfoo

#908 Post by majorfoo »

davids45 wrote:
Seamonkeys 2.1+ seem to have changed the way they handle bookmarks such that the common profile no longer works for my bookmarks - my e-mail & address books are still good.

David S.
I noticed that seamonkey changed way they stored bookmarks in version 2.1
The bookmarks prior to 2.1 were stored in /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/xxxxxx.default as bookmarks.html. These bookmarks could be copied to another partition or other backup area and then copied to new version of seamonkey as it became available.

Starting in 2.1 and later versions, bookmarks are not stored as bookmarks..html, that I can find. What I did find is that you can go to bookmarks, then manage bookmarks, then tools in the manage bookmarks window, There you can backup, restore, import / export bookmarks.
I use the export feature and export the bookmarks to a storage partition on hard drive. Once placed in the storage partition, they are shown as bookmarks.html. When I install a new version of seamonkey, I import the bookmarks from the storage partition to new version of seamonkey and I am good to go. IMPORTANT -Use the import feature - do not copy as will not work.

I am not sure if this helps your situation, but thought I would pass it along as it might be helpful to others.

majorfoo

edoc

#909 Post by edoc »

Is this Seamonkey change something that could be repaired by Puppy - a PET or SFS that automates the changes you both have suggested here?

I am guessing that I will not be the only one facing these problems with SM.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

majorfoo

#910 Post by majorfoo »

edoc wrote:Is this Seamonkey change something that could be repaired by Puppy - a PET or SFS that automates the changes you both have suggested here?

I am guessing that I will not be the only one facing these problems with SM.
If you are referring to export / import of bookmarks, then I believe this would have to be done manually. Some users use full install, others multi-session dvd, others frugal, etc. This is not one size fits all.

majorfoo

pemasu

#911 Post by pemasu »

don570.
I think I solved the bug in pfind 422
Thank you of being persistent bug tracer and solver.
That code change from exit to exit 0 might be needed to several other applications. I havent keep count what other apps gives that closing time warning, but there are others.
Pfind is now 4.23 I think.
The problem. You update script in one version, and it is back in next.
Like you have done, the only solution is that the app developer accepts the code change and adjusts the code accordingly.
Anyway....I will also test your change in Pfind and I will check those other apps-scripts also when I encounter the same closing time warning. Maybe they need that same fix.

davids45

#912 Post by davids45 »

G'day majorfoo & edoc,
(Sorry pemasu if we've wandered from the thread topic a bit - Exprimo5x6 is very good :) ).

I haven't tried the export/import method with a post-2.1 SM for maintaining my Bookmarks yet.

Does your method keep an active bookmarks.html file so that any newly added or edited bookmark is immediately available to all other Pups (and even Windows)?

That's my complaint with merely importing a bookmarks.html - changes are lost to the original bookmarks file which is used by other Pups and OSs.

Which is a problem with trying other browsers that have their own ways of using bookmarks. They take, but they won't share :( .

David S.

DaveS

#913 Post by DaveS »

Later versions of Seamonkey now use the same bookmarking system as Firefox. Best way round consistent bookmarks is to use the built in sync system.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mikeslr

Duplicate entry of SaveFile

#914 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu & All:

My apologies if this has been mentioned. Its been awhile since I could explore Puplets. Hurricane Irene dumped 8 inches of rain in my area, substantially more than the Rahway River could handle in a timely manner. The 8" translated to 4' of water in my basement. So I'm playing catch up.

LiveLinuxUSB install of Exprimo 5x6 to USB. Created one (1) SaveFile.
When Exprimo boots, it shows 2 SaveFiles. Of course, there's only one, so pressing "1" or "2" loads it. Just a petty annoyance.

Everything else seems to work OK [with the exception of adding mtpaintsnapshot.sh to JWM's taskbar which requires icon designation be handwritten to .JVMRC-tray: common to all puppies on my system].

mikesLr

pemasu

#915 Post by pemasu »

mikeslr. About that 2 savefiles showing after creating one savefile. That is new problem. I havent ever before heard that kind bug with any Puppy. Interesting. I dont totally understand what is livelinux usb install to usb, so I cant try to check what could be a problem.
How do you boot, what app do you use to create usb install, and so on...
What do you use as bootloader in usb etc....

mikeslr

Errata: Linux Live USB Creator

#916 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu:

I reversed the parts of its name, which actually is LinuxLiveUsb Creator. A good program if you happen to find yourself in Windoz.
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download
It has several nice features including works with most (all?) Linux distros and versions; will download same --maybe; can automatically do a quemu install into Windows; and with true Ubuntu & derivatives will automatically create a persistent partition. I rarely install to a USB, so I may have mis-recollected that using Unetbootin requires editing of the config file from CD to USB. LinuxLiveUSB doesn't.

But, I doubt it has anything to do with the repetitious listing of the SaveFile:
Like Unetbootin, it just creates a bootable USB with your chosen distro. Once Exprimo (or any Puppy) begins to boot, it's pure puppy. And looking at /mnt/home --i.e., the files on the USB-- shows only one SaveFile.
Don't loose any sleep over it. It may just be a fluke, but at worst it's a momentary halt in the flow to an excellent system.

mikesLr

pemasu

#917 Post by pemasu »

mikeslr. I was more curious than restless, lol. Now I understand better how you installed Exprimo to the usb stick. I am not familiar with your method. Whenever I do test installs, I use grub4dos for installing to the usb.
It is at least one year when I tested unetbootin with Fluppy.
Lets see if that weirdness repeats itself.....

don570

#918 Post by don570 »

new version Quick Launch 1.2

- longer list of Favorite Folders is possible in window
of Quick Launch but will still fit in Netbook screen.

-Rox Bookmarks are automatically searched
and a few are added to list of Favorite Folders if
they meet criteria

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 500#563500

zathura_gui needs an icon. The best way to change
this is by changing the icon line in zathura_gui.desktop

ymount is upgraded
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=75

pemasu

#919 Post by pemasu »

Thank you don570. Your launcher matures to the really useful one. Great. I will check the other stuff also. Missing icon will be fixed.
Thank you of the feedback don570.
I will create soon UPDATE pet.

pemasu

#920 Post by pemasu »

I have been compiling apps for Polarpup recently. Now I am back with Exprimo.
I decided to give a go to the barrys batched 2.6.39.4 kernel. I let the vgaswithcheroo to be in it but I switched back the SMT aka hyperthreading support, multicore scheduler support and Automatic process group scheduling which came in with 2.6.38 and is called patch which makes wonders. I dont know about that but I enabled them.

I know that Barry had problems with his dual core with some of those options. I havent had, but I have used Intel Atom optimization with them. Now I am going to compile kernel for my laptop with core 2 and up optimization. I will update my woof with some Barrys new stuff like latest usb-modeswitch-1.1.9 and newer data for it.

When I build it with woof, I can create 2 distros with previous and with this newer kernel. People with core 2 and up will benefit it. I wont make highmem more than 4 Gb so no PAE. As I have previously stated. People with real need for more RAM, there is Fatdog and new LHP 64 for them. 2 great distros with real professional experts building them. And Barrys upcoming Racy Puppy or what it will be called, seems to have PAE enabled in his 2.6.39.4 kernel. If I checked the specs right.