Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Brown Mouse

#961 Post by Brown Mouse »

I'm having a few problems with Google Earth in 5.2.
I installed the .pet from ppm and it says I'm missing this lib 'libminizip'.
It still runs but not quite as it should,in my opinion.
I then decided to remove the .pet reboot and try a sfs which seemed to run better but it affected VLC player,completely changing it's GUI and minus any control tabs.
I've seen a similar thing occur in 431 some time ago.
playdayz

#962 Post by playdayz »

I then decided to remove the .pet reboot and try a sfs which seemed to run better but it affected VLC player,completely changing it's GUI and minus any control tabs.
Hey brownmouse, The combination of Google Earth and PPM is a pain in the posterior. Google Earth puts its libraries in places that PPM doesn't expect them. libminizip *is* there--it's just that PPM doesn't see it. Google Earth seemed to be running OK to me. If you install Google Earth from Quickpet you won't have to see the misleading messages.

Google Earth uses QT as does VLC. Did VLC get screwed up when you uninstalled Google Earth? If so, then please reinstall VLC and everything should be fine. Does VLC get screwed up when you use the pet? BTW, where did you get the sfs? It would be good to have an sfs since the pet is so big.

I notice there is a Google Earth 6. My first attempt to install it failed. Did I mention that it is a pain ;-)
Brown Mouse

#963 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote:
Hey brownmouse, The combination of Google Earth and PPM is a pain in the posterior. Google Earth puts its libraries in places that PPM doesn't expect them. libminizip *is* there--it's just that PPM doesn't see it. Google Earth seemed to be running OK to me. If you install Google Earth from Quickpet you won't have to see the misleading messages.

Google Earth uses QT as does VLC. Did VLC get screwed up when you uninstalled Google Earth? If so, then please reinstall VLC and everything should be fine. Does VLC get screwed up when you use the pet? BTW, where did you get the sfs? It would be good to have an sfs since the pet is so big.

I notice there is a Google Earth 6. My first attempt to install it failed. Did I mention that it is a pain ;-)
Hi playdayz

Yes your absolutely right.I don't know why I used ppm because the first time I installed it was from Quickpet.
VLC did indeed get screwed up when I uninstalled Google Earth and Is now fine after reinstalling it.
I'm using the .pet now and so far no more problems with VLC.
One thing that does strike me as odd,when I open GE,in normal cases the world expands and zooms in.I don't see this occur for some strange reason?

Incidentally I used the GoogleEarth-5.2.1.sfs from here:-
http://www.lhpup.org/download500.htm#Google

Good luck with 6 :)

Thanks for your help
playdayz

#964 Post by playdayz »

One thing that does strike me as odd,when I open GE,in normal cases the world expands and zooms in.I don't see this occur for some strange reason?
I think perhaps GE 5.2 does that, but 5.1 doesn't, and the pet is 5.1. Because I installed 5.2 and it did that.

I will update the pet to 5.2 today or tomorrow.

Still no luck on 6. Something is weird about the library path--if you click googleearth-bin you get the message that googleearth-bin doesn't exist. I have tried everything I can think of so I am going to let it go for a while. Maybe someone else will have better luck.
Incidentally I used the GoogleEarth-5.2.1.sfs from here:-
http://www.lhpup.org/download500.htm#Google
That Lighthouse Pup software page looks very impressive, imho.
bigpup

#965 Post by bigpup »

Grub4dos has been updated to version 1.7.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697
bigpup

#966 Post by bigpup »

HP Hpliplite Linux Imaging and Printing software updated to V3.11.1
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58421
playdayz

#967 Post by playdayz »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet
Google Earth 5.2.1. It is 10MB smaller than 5.1. Menu item in Network.
It will also appear in Quickpet if you Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#968 Post by Lobster »

Many thanks playdayz for the new pet :)
As before GoogleEarth crashes after running the splash screen
BUT as before is perfectly stable after I have loaded the xorg high or crystal ati accelerated graphic drivers with quickpet (under drivers)
- :oops: just noticed that is a well known requirement and appears on the quickpet download for GoogleEarth
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
jpeps

#969 Post by jpeps »

Lobster wrote: - :oops: just noticed that is a well known requirement and appears on the quickpet download for GoogleEarth
Yeah, but your description was far more precise. Thanks for pointing it out. Very interesting app. BTW/ it's easy to run these kinds of apps as SFS loaded/unloaded on the fly.
Brown Mouse

#970 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote:http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet
It will also appear in Quickpet if you Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM
Yeah many thanks playdayz,5.2.1.pet is perfect :D
playdayz

#971 Post by playdayz »

BUT as before is perfectly stable after I have loaded the xorg high or crystal ati accelerated graphic drivers with quickpet (under drivers)
- Embarassed just noticed that is a well known requirement and appears on the quickpet download for GoogleEarth
Yes, Google Earth requires accelerated graphics, Xorg_High or the appropriate Nvidia or ATI proprietary driver. There is an interesting thing to me. I had been using the ATI Catalyst driver but I noticed that the screen flashed whenever wine or a wine/windows program started. I changed back to Xorg-High and that doesn't happen. Xorg_High is not as fast as the ATI driver, but it seems fast enough, plus it is open source.

Here is Google Earth 5.2.1 sfs ->
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 2-sfs4.sfs
Brown Mouse

#972 Post by Brown Mouse »

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this problem but as it involves a remaster of Lucid 5.2 here goes.

I made a remaster which generated all the necessary files and also an .iso which I later burnt to a disc.I then booted the disc only to find it was a standard version of 5.2 that didn't include my new .sfs,although from properties the size of the newly created iso was showing as correct.
I then decided to make another.iso from the generated files,burnt to disc and that wouldn't boot at all.
To prove the.sfs was good,I replaced it with my existing sfs and also removed the existing savefile and booted from grub and all was fine.

I made several attempts so as to rule out any errors that I may have caused but always with the same results.

Just wondered if anyone else has had these issues?
chrismt

#973 Post by chrismt »

Just noticed

Flash got updated to version 10.2 which is said to be less hardware intensive than the previous version
Jim1911

#974 Post by Jim1911 »

Brown Mouse wrote:I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this problem but as it involves a remaster of Lucid 5.2 here goes.

I made a remaster which generated all the necessary files and also an .iso which I later burnt to a disc.I then booted the disc only to find it was a standard version of 5.2 that didn't include my new .sfs,although from properties the size of the newly created iso was showing as correct.
I then decided to make another.iso from the generated files,burnt to disc and that wouldn't boot at all.
To prove the.sfs was good,I replaced it with my existing sfs and also removed the existing savefile and booted from grub and all was fine.

I made several attempts so as to rule out any errors that I may have caused but always with the same results.

When you were given the opportunity during the remaster to edit /tmp/root you need to copy the entire contents of the /root directory to /tmp/root. Otherwise, as you have already discovered, your changes are not carried over into the remaster. After copying /root to /tmp/root, then carefully remove the items that you don't want to be included in the remaster.
Brown Mouse

#975 Post by Brown Mouse »

Jim1911 wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this problem but as it involves a remaster of Lucid 5.2 here goes.

When you were given the opportunity during the remaster to edit /tmp/root you need to copy the entire contents of the /root directory to /tmp/root. Otherwise, as you have already discovered, your changes are not carried over into the remaster. After copying /root to /tmp/root, then carefully remove the items that you don't want to be included in the remaster.
Hi jim1911

But all the changes I wanted were included in the new sfs which works because I tested it in an existing Lucid setup.
playdayz

#976 Post by playdayz »

chrismt

#977 Post by chrismt »

Here is Flashplayer-10.2.152.27
Pretty fast. Thanks. You might consider leaving trails of what you are going to do next with Puppy to keep people on their toes :D
Hogweed

#978 Post by Hogweed »

Here is Flashplayer-10.2.152.27
Thanks. I can confirm that Full Screen flash playback with this version seems a bit smoother than with the previous version on a 1.4Ghz Celeron laptop with Intel 852 integrated graphics. It's even smoother if you untick "enable hardware acceleration" which I usually untick on Windows boxes with older graphics. Unlike other video players, Flash can't workout on its own if apparent hardware acceleration offered by older chipsets is actually emulated (and very slowly) and it would be better for it to do it itself.

Still even though latest release is smoother it is still a cpu hog and less smooth than any other streaming mpeg4 video player I have ever seen. But that's a cross-platform Flash problem - not Lucid's.
stu90

#979 Post by stu90 »

No cached youtube Flash vids in /tmp with 10.2? :evil:

Found this work around:
http://n00bsys0p.wordpress.com/2011/02/ ... -in-linux/

Seems to only cache one video at a time so no opening multiple youtube tabs - mine is in /proc/18396/fd
playdayz

#980 Post by playdayz »

I want to be able to use the iso boot capability of grub2 on ext 2 formatted USB flash drives
Nooby had this question. He wants to use a usb flash drive and install grub to it--I hope I understand correctly.

Grub4dos will do this. I just tried it. It installed grub and the supporting files to my usb flash drive and then I booted from that usb flash drive and was able to select any of my many frugal and full installs. Very slick shinobar ;-)

So, nooby, insert your usb flash drive and then run Grub4dos. It presents a drop down menu of the drives to which you can install grub--and as I said, my usb flash drive was one of them. It will then scan your disks and put all frugal and full installs into the menu.lst from all your disks, so when you boot the usb flash drive you can choose any of the installs on any of your disks. You can also edit menu.lst.

Other stuff. grub bootloader config would not install to my usb flash drive. ***Unless*** I formatted the usb flash drive to ext 4, then it would, but it was nowhere near as easy as with gub4dos.

I hope this is it nooby, but if not, please let us know.