need Android app to open geany files

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

need Android app to open geany files

#1 Post by nubc »

I transferred a directory of geany files to my Android smartphone, tried to open a geany file, got a message that "File type not supported". How can I open geany files on my smartphone? I guess I'm looking for a file viewer.

While I'm asking, I am also interested in a file manager/explorer to replace the default app.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

This only addresses your first request. There are quite a few with good ratings for "text viewer."

http://www.appszoom.com/android_applica ... st_referer

These pages for the latter..

http://lifehacker.com/5825578/the-best- ... or-android

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... ndroid.htm
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

Text Viewer (English) does not support file type.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

So try another one.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#5 Post by nubc »

I probably will, but I think the app will need to come from the geany organization. And why shouldn't the geany devs be considering mobile adaptation? What is the geany file type, anyway? .txt?

I'm guessing that Android would not run GTK2 runtime libraries. No apps by that name. Probably means Abiword won't work either. However, I do recall seeing an app called LibreOffice Reader.
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app ... 00022.html

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Dbl..
Last edited by Semme on Tue 30 Jun 2015, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Nubc, it's a bit convoluted, but you can dwnld and open text files with ES File Explorer.

nubc

#8 Post by nubc »

I didn't have much luck with ES File Explorer/Manager. From the forum post I linked above, I gather that geany will not open in Android without extensive preparation that no sane person is going to do. If geany were based on Qt, it might be slightly easier, but being based on GTK2 makes it practically impossible.
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app ... 00022.html

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Ah-ha, what you were really needing Nubc is an IDE, and I've got one for ya.. QuickEdit!

Galbi

#10 Post by Galbi »

Your geany files, aren't just plain .txt files¿
Isn't just a problem of codification, UTF-8 or something like that¿

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

And I'll add it works quite well opening and editing Geany text files!

Should you ever need to take a screenshot, it's "home+power" buttons for 2+ seconds.

nubc

#12 Post by nubc »

Yes, after I copied the folder to (emulated) internal drive, so I could see it with Quick Edit, I could open and view the geany text file. (Couldn't navigate to the SD drive, as yet, because so much of the file system is emulated.) However, the display of text lacked line wrapping, and I have yet to see a way to edit for this. I did see a long list of formats, including HTML, but am still looking for line wrapping setting. Two good editing possibilities are Syntax and Encoding, but haven't found the correct setting.

EDIT: Oh ya, I found it. It's called Word Wrap in Settings. Awesome.

Thanks, Semme. I asked for an app, and I got one. A good one.
Last edited by nubc on Tue 30 Jun 2015, 13:50, edited 5 times in total.

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

Bars on your upper left >> settings >> word wrap!

Correct. It's actually a pretty darn nice Geany type editor/reader for Android.

Syntax and encoding on your upper right.

nubc

#14 Post by nubc »

pretty darn nice

@ Semme,
Can you provide a link to "IDE" as you mention above? I'd like to know exactly what that is. Thanks, again.

I finally navigated to the external SD card by tapping the back arrow (to parent directory) 2 times, from Home.
Last edited by nubc on Tue 30 Jun 2015, 18:16, edited 2 times in total.

Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

nubc

#16 Post by nubc »

Since Quick Edit is an editor, it seems the keyboard is always popping up. Is there a way to reduce the keyboard that doesn't involve down-swiping across the T-key, because I always accidentally type a letter when I swipe it away. This is especially undesirable when I am editing text.
Last edited by nubc on Tue 30 Jun 2015, 14:23, edited 3 times in total.

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

Offhand I'd have to say what you're looking for is an Android specific setting, not one governed by the app.

nubc

#18 Post by nubc »

Maybe the back button gets rid of keyboard after use. Something like that. But you'd think there would be an exit feature on the kb itself. Also looking for the ability to navigate text the same way as with arrow keys on a computer keyboard.

nubc

#19 Post by nubc »

Uh-oh, I tried to edit the text of geany file, and got an error.

Code: Select all

Error when saving file
Description
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /storage/external_SD/Index/Classical: open failed: EACCES (permission denied)

Semme

#20 Post by Semme »

I haven't messed with it enough to know how to save a file to external storage. It does however work with device storage.

Remember now, you're catching me on the fly with these questions.