Win 10 pitfalls

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
B.K. Johnson

Win 10 pitfalls

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

stemsee

#2 Post by stemsee »

As long as they don't use metered bandwidth!

Just installed Windows 10 on my laptop. It takes ages. But it is faster than 7 or 8.1 . Got all my hardware and wireless printer, and phone up and running without intervention. A new start menu is there which opens on the desktop. It's nice to have it. I just wonder how long before it gets virus ridden, and slows down to unusable, as on all other windows versions I have used?

stemsee

#3 Post by stemsee »

Edge Browser is very clean in appearance, simple theme all round is an improvement. I love the ability to draw or write anywhere on a webpage and then share it. Many more options for signing in and using other email addresses to login.

B.K. Johnson

#4 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Rather that the bells and whistles, the frills etc. my concern would be as the first article outlines the "Big Brother" watching, recording everything you do and selling/sharing with partners. Learn how to lock them out. Read the article.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

bark_bark_bark

#5 Post by bark_bark_bark »

M$ is even tracking non-Windows 10 users, only if the non-win10 user is interacting with somebody using a Win10 device.

If you know anybody using it, protect yourself by blocking them.

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

All the ways Windows 10 tracks you (direct image link).

Credit goes, at least initially, to my tech shop friend -- he sent that to me.

I have to say, normally I'm not one for improvised thin-sheet metal headgear, but this kinda makes my skin crawl a little. Yeek.

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

lol bit torrent windows 10 updates ... how can that possibility be a good idea with M$ track record.. Reading the article and others related the FREE upgrade to win10 is only for limited time guess I should sign up. Since I real do not use it for much ( sadly Fatdog64 701 doesn't see my USB3 so bulk file copy is done in windows8.1 ) it shouldn't bite me too hard :wink:

cthisbear

#8 Post by cthisbear »

Win 10 - Problems after installation.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=2409821

Enjoying that Windows 10 experience...Whirlpool Forums.

Chris.

8-bit

#9 Post by 8-bit »

I had win 7 on my pc mainly for some games that required windows.
After getting the upgrade offer, I downloaded both the 32 and 64 bit iso's.
I waited till the win10 notice said I could update and allowed it to proceed.
My desktop icons and wallpaper came up the same as I had them on win 7 and my position in my games was still there.
But...
Even though I had myself set up as "Owner", my email name was added as a user right down to it showing up on the login screen.
And it took a bit of doing to get the login screen back to "Owner".
I have ignored the offer for a free month of Microsoft Office and installed my older OEM Microsoft Office 97. So far, that has went well.
I am still concerned about security of my personal stuff though.

Also, if one fully reads the license agreement, one may not want to update.
Also, you have a limited time to revert to your old OS.
There have been a lot of times, that it seems win10 is in control of everything and I am just going along for the ride.
Also, I have two hard drives with Win10 installed on one and Puppy installed on the other with grub.
There have been a number of programs and games that I had to run the computability wizard on even after them initially working correctly.
More Later.

tlchost

#10 Post by tlchost »

8-bit wrote: I am still concerned about security of my personal stuff though.

Also, if one fully reads the license agreement, one may not want to update.
Also, you have a limited time to revert to your old OS.
and win 10 uses your computer/internet connection to supply information and files to other win10 computers, MS and who knows where/what/who else.

I believe you have 30 days to go back to the OS you had before upgrading to win 10

I run Puppy from a bootable USB and when I attempt to access my desktop hard drive, Puppy tells me it can not mount the hard drive with write permissions because windows has apparently put the drive into hibernate or fast restarting...and tells me to restart windows, solve those problems and then shut down.

If my tech-challenged mind can not figure out how to solve this problem, it's a very real reason to revert back to Win7 which had none of this nonsense.

Oh...and there's the "nanny state" features that "protect" me....if I'm not connected to the internet win 10 complains that it can't phone home to see if what I'm attempting to do is "safe".

A brave new world...powerful forces tell me what I can and can not eat, whether or not I can let my children play outside on their own...and now whether or not I can use my computer as I see fit.

But why worry....my slight vision impairment seems to beyond the scope of any of the win10 themes ....

Newer is always better?

Burn_IT

#11 Post by Burn_IT »

and win 10 uses your computer/internet connection to supply information and files to other win10 computers, MS and who knows where/what/who else.
Stop being a drama queen. MS ASK if they can use the same distribution model that Linux has been using for years.
Oh...and there's the "nanny state" features that "protect" me....if I'm not connected to the internet win 10 complains that it can't phone home to see if what I'm attempting to do is "safe".
That is a strange way of putting that it wants to look for updates and security patches.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

starhawk

#12 Post by starhawk »

tlchost has a point.

Please look at my post, particularly the image linked within, before responding again. That image was shared with me by a fellow who makes his living repairing computers... he knows what he's talking about, and he confirms what's in the image as 100% true.

You do realize that by providing knee-jerk doubting responses, you look like a fool, right? ...and that's beside the point that your post was basically troll bait.

Burn_IT

#13 Post by Burn_IT »

Are you talking to me Starhawk?
If so you are going to get a very serious argument.

As for your friend making his living repairing computers..... and no it is NOT ALL true, some of it is, but not all.
I was working in computers before the PC was invented , and probably before your friend was even born. so don't try that one.

Enough of the personal stuff.

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

It is free to update Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

They get you using it.

However, they will soon start charging you to get updates, added programs and features, drivers, basically anything.
From what I have read. It will be more like, pay us so much money a year, for something or you will loose it.

From what is stated here. It would seem to be very easy for Microsoft to send a deactivation signal over that constant internet connection.

Wonder why Steam is now so into using a version of Linux to run Games?
Steam OS.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Burn_IT

#15 Post by Burn_IT »

From what I have read. It will be more like, pay us so much money a year, for something or you will loose it.
Microsoft have made no bones about the fact that they want to sell it as a service.
One doesn't own Windows anyway. If you read the licence carefully you will see that they grant you the use of it only. That is how it has always been and is very much the way most software is.

cthisbear

#16 Post by cthisbear »

Anyone using Windows 10 needs severe medication.

Interesting what I found on this search...>>> Windows 10 lite

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windows ... p_redirect

" Windows 10 LiteTune and cleanup Windows 10 Installation "

Use at your own peril...scans ok.

Chris.

Burn_IT

#17 Post by Burn_IT »

Sourceforge is the thing to beware of there.
It has lost its reputation.

tlchost

#18 Post by tlchost »

Burn_IT wrote:Sourceforge is the thing to beware of there.
It has lost its reputation.
Some wise person uttered this previously:

"Stop being a drama queen"

bark_bark_bark

#19 Post by bark_bark_bark »

cthisbear wrote:Anyone using Windows 10 needs severe medication.

Interesting what I found on this search...>>> Windows 10 lite

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windows ... p_redirect

" Windows 10 LiteTune and cleanup Windows 10 Installation "

Use at your own peril...scans ok.

Chris.
It might be best to wait for reviews on it.

cthisbear

#20 Post by cthisbear »

Reboot cycle hell for some Win 10 users.

And now the big Win10 reboot.

Microslop showing again what crap they make.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/comp ... ix5qr.html

Windows 10: forced update causing constant reboots for some users.

Chris.