Need to mount USB pen drive at boot

Booting, installing, newbie
Apathy

Need to mount USB pen drive at boot

#1 Post by Apathy »

I need to be able to mount a usb pen drive at start up. This can be done with a scrpt or anything that can be run at startup. I have tried picking through the pmount.sh to see if i can pull out the stuff i need but i am having trouble finding all i need.

when i try mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash it says device not found. if i run the pmount scrip i can use the same command to mount it. So i'm guessing it is not finding the usb drive at boot. So i was wondering what extra stuff is needed or is in pmount to find usb devices.

I tied the command cat /proc pci | grep -i "usb" > /dev/null
but this did not seem to find it. Just wanted to some help with this.

Puppy is being used on a school competiton robot (Southern Polytechnic State University Marietta, GA) and we need the usb mounted cause we have files we need to access on it

papaschtroumpf

#2 Post by papaschtroumpf »

you porbably need to install the usb kernel module. can't remember what it's called offhand. .ko extension and usb in the name. :)
Look at how the usb drive is mounted in the wizrs or the mount script.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

Apathy

#3 Post by Apathy »

well i found the command i needed it is the modprobe usb-storage to get usb towork. and i have my script fully written. I now need some help on where to put it so it will start up any help?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

If you would tell us about the command, and the script you wrote, in more detail, that might help us find a solution. :)

Apathy

#5 Post by Apathy »

#Startup scrpt for robot

#used to mount the pen drive
modprobe usb-storage
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
cd /mnt/flash
pwd
java SimpleWrite

Here is the script i am using. Maybe a little more info might help.

A tiny computer will be in a case, it will have no video no mouse and no keyboard hooked up to it. The power will turn on and i need to be able to run a java program. The one in this script is just a sample. It will be changed to the acctual file later. This script fully works when i run it from a commandline on bootup. But i need it to auto run when puppy gets started. Hope that clarifys some things up

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#6 Post by nduanetesh »

have you tried adding it to

etc/rc.d/rc.local

? The file is run at boot, and it is writeable.

Not sure if it might be too early/late in the boot process for you, though. Give it a shot.

ND

dvw86

#7 Post by dvw86 »

nduanetesh wrote:have you tried adding it to

etc/rc.d/rc.local

? The file is run at boot, and it is writeable.

Not sure if it might be too early/late in the boot process for you, though. Give it a shot.

ND
That works for me. Here is what my rc.local file looks like. It loads my scanner module and mounts my USB pen drive at boot.

Code: Select all

#this file called from rc.local0
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...
modprobe scanner
modprobe usb-storage
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows2

Apathy

#8 Post by Apathy »

I will look into adding it there. Any one know of any usb wireless adapters that work in puppy without much trouble. Any 802.11b usb adapther will work preferable something small would be best.. I know puppy has alot of built in wirelesss stuff, but i didnt know if someone has one that was test and working.

BlackAdder

#9 Post by BlackAdder »

The USB adapters based on the ATMEL chipset are supported by Puppy (except for 1.02). They are not the only ones, but they are the ones that I know about.
The list of supported adapters can be found here:
http://at76c503a.berlios.de/devices.html
You need to modprobe for the correct support module, e.g.
modprobe at76c503-rfmd
There is a wiki item about configuring wifi here:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/WiFi
Finally, the Belkin F5D6050 USB ver.2000 adapter is reported as working successfully in the hardware section of the wiki. My Netcomm NP7042 adapter works just fine.