any cd_dvd burning app that can guarantee satisfactory burn?

Using applications, configuring, problems
wert

any cd_dvd burning app that can guarantee satisfactory burn?

#1 Post by wert »

I've used pburn for a long time now. When I need to burn very important files to cd/dvds e.g. critical backups, I am forced to use my friend's pc which has another app called Nero. This is due to nero's really good verification of burned data. P burn's verification on the other hand isn't palpable & doesn't seem to work all the time especially when working with multisession cds/dvds that are getting burned after a previously burned data already recorded in it.
I work a lot with multisession discs due to significant reasons. Thnx in advance for your help.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It would be helpful of you to post your issues with Pburn in the Pburn thread so Zigbert will know about them. He's very dedicated.

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

@wert: Please explain what you are doing. Where are these important files? On the multi-session disc? What are you trying to burn? Just those files to a different disc? Or are you trying to clone the entire disc?

What procedure do you use in Nero? How is it seeing the contents of a Puppy multi-session disc?

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Hello wert.

Here's a similar thread from the beginning of the month.

The no-nonsense discovery was: you need a healthy physical drive as well as good
software and good discs to do proper burning.

Before blaming pburn or your disc brand:
how old is your burner? Have you used it a lot?

Can any other CD/DVD drive play/run the copies it burns? If not, something's fishy.

If this drive has given you long and loyal service but now is becoming flaky, maybe it's
time you retire it in favor of a new one.

Just a thought. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

wert

#6 Post by wert »

musher0 wrote:Hello wert.

The no-nonsense discovery was: you need a healthy physical drive as well as good

Can any other CD/DVD drive play/run the copies it burns? If not, something's fishy.

If this drive has given you long and loyal service but now is becoming flaky, maybe it's

Just a thought. BFN.
I have tried many disc brands and drives including 2 month old ideapad laptop but here's the catch, Nero has dependable verification. it can verify multisession or no-multisession discs. Pburn on the other hand will always verification failed on multisession-discs that are post-first session. I am inexperienced with linux and burning in general thus don't know anything beyond nero and pburn interfaces.

wert

#7 Post by wert »

Here's a simila....
Plus, pburn doesn't have secur-disc surface scan like nero.

wert

#8 Post by wert »

Flash wrote:It would be helpful of you to post your issues with Pburn in the Pburn thread so Zigbert will know about them. He's very dedicated.
yea thnx 4 tha heads-up

wert

#9 Post by wert »

I will try that thanx

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

We'll keep an eye out for your review..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

wert wrote:

Just a thought. BFN.
I have tried many disc brands and drives including 2 month old ideapad laptop but here's the catch, Nero has dependable verification. it can verify multisession or no-multisession discs. Pburn on the other hand will always verification failed on multisession-discs that are post-first session. I am inexperienced with linux and burning in general thus don't know anything beyond nero and pburn interfaces.
Hi wert.

What I had to find out by myself about pburn verification is this:

After the burn is finished, but before the verification, you have to eject the
disc, wait a few seconds and push it back in. It's a "feature" in the linux kernel,
pburn is not to blame. You have to do this, but pburn doesn't really tell you. pburn
hints at it, but it does not tell you clearly. It's being diplomatic...

If you do this eject / re-insert thing, you can trust the verification in pburn.

Other ways to check a burn:
-- use the procedure to check a disc in PeasyDisc
-- use < cd-info > or < cd-info --dvd >: if cd-info shows you something legible in its
"analysis" part (at bottom of the listing), your burn should be good.

Other reliable CD / DVD burning utilities in Linux that won't cost you an arm and
a leg, and that don't swallow too much of your computer's resources:
-- the one in PeasyDisc (again)
-- flburn (see the other thread I mentioned)
-- cdr-skin (this one is very good, but it's a CLI and you have to do it by hand.
However it's got good examples you can use as templates.)

I hope this helps.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

zigbert

#12 Post by zigbert »

musher0 wrote:What I had to find out by myself about pburn verification is this:

disc, wait a few seconds and push it back in. It's a "feature" in the linux kernel,
pburn is not to blame. You have to do this, but pburn doesn't really tell you. pburn

If you do this eject / re-insert thing, you can trust the verification in pburn.
If verifying _always_ require to eject/reload the disc, I can change pBurn to state this clearer.
But I have a glance of memory that this _depends_ on the kernel.
Please correct me.

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

Hello, zigbert.

I'm NOT an authority on kernels, but I think that you yourself mention in the pburn
docs, or maybe in a post, that it depends on the kernel: with some kernels you have to
eject the disc before checking the burn, with some other kernels, you can leave it in.

Happy Easter! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

wert

#14 Post by wert »

musher0 wrote:
wert wrote:

Just a thought. BFN.
Hi wert.

What I had to find out by myself about pburn verification is this:

Other ways to check a burn:
-- use < cd-info > or < cd-info --dvd >: if cd-info shows you something legible in its
"analysis" part (at bottom of the listing), your burn should be good.

Other reliable CD / DVD burning utilities in Linux that won't cost you an arm and
a leg, and that don't swallow too much of your computer's resources:
-- the one in PeasyDisc (again)
-- flburn (see the other thread I mentioned)
-- cdr-skin (this one is very good, but it's a CLI and you have to do it by hand.
However it's got good examples you can use as templates.)

I hope this helps.
I appreciate that much thanks

musher0

#15 Post by musher0 »

zigbert wrote:
musher0 wrote:What I had to find out by myself about pburn verification is this:

If verifying _always_ require to eject/reload the disc, I can change pBurn to state this clearer.
But I have a glance of memory that this _depends_ on the kernel.
Please correct me.
Hello Zigbert.

No-no, I won't be correcting you! :)
But I will tell you what I would do in such a case. (hehe)

Since I do not know if the kernel in the user's Puppy requires an eject / re-insert
motion -- or not -- before checking the checksum, I will assume that it always
requires it (the worse scenario). This way I am covering all bases and avoiding
negative emotional comments from the user. And too bad for Linus T. if Linus T.
doesn't like it! :wink:

Something like this: when disc burn is finished, ALWAYS

Code: Select all

eject # the disc
sleep 2s # +/-
eject -t # (re-insert)
then we get and compare the checksum.

Simple and efficient, I think. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

musher0 wrote:Other ways to check a burn:
Instead of using some kind of checksum calculation, PeasyDisc does an actual file-by-file comparison of the files on the new disc with those in the ISO. This is ultimately what you need to verify.

musher0

#17 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

To come back strictly to wert's question, truth be said, probably no burning app can ever
"guarantee a satisfactory burn". The previous discussion on the subject here has made
clear that there are three variables in this equation : a good drive, a good disc,
and a good app.

I don't know of any burning app that checks the quality or status of the drive itself. Some
utilities do, for ex. cdck (indirectly), but burning apps themselves, no. You may have the
best burning app in the world, but if your drive is or has become flimsy... no guarantee
of "a satisfactory burn" can be given.

My 2¢. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

record music for listening in my car.

#18 Post by Pelo »

I am checking my Puppies Collection on CD-RW. I will erase some to record music for listening in my car. Is there a special way to be sure these CDs will be working when i drive ?
Searching the web too.
Browsing the forum, nobody talks about burning music..
ah du français, clear to understand
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

Robert123

#19 Post by Robert123 »

Hi Pelo,

Have you ever tested Flburn?
http://flburn.sourceforge.net/
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

Pelo

well, flburn downloaded as deb

#20 Post by Pelo »

well, flburn downloaded as deb but installed with no trouble on my running Slacko (cd 5.3.2.9)
My search on french web sites learns me that car media players will not read MP3.. Well, not good news.. I will verify trade mark and model first not to waste time burning wrong way.