Two problems, Save from Word Proc and play DVD

Booting, installing, newbie
slc

Two problems, Save from Word Proc and play DVD

#1 Post by slc »

Hello... I am coming from many happy years as a Win XP user, well if you don't count that year or so when I was attacked by virus and had to redue the software and learn how to fight back...., But when Win does run, it is good. So the new versions, Vista, Win7, Win8 and that nosey Win10 have pushed me away....

I am trying to warm up to Linux slackopup, I like the speed the virtual drive give. But Ihave a couple of problems that may push me away....

1 .. I have tried various versions of MINT, the last being Cinnamon and a couple ver of puppy... but I have yet to be able to play a DVD on the systems... I am thinking maybe the decoder is missing but where might I find that??

2 .. I kind of like the Puppy Slacko but other than the DVD problem, I cannot get the word processor to save a file. I can open a file but it won't save back. The Excell like program is the same way. I'd prefer to beable to save to a different hard drive.

Otherwise I think this might be a very useful program, any ideas please????

Thanks
160321 1429slc

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

How exactly are you booting and running Slacko?

DVD's should play. If you have tried various distros is it possible you have a hardware fault?

Are you talking about opening, editing and saving files in Abiword? Could this be a permissions issue? Please try to give a bit more detailed information about what you are doing and seeing.
Oscar in England

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

slc, please, unless the two questions are closely related somehow, so that the discussions won't become mixed up and hard to follow, please start a separate thread for each question you have. The forum works better for everyone that way. Thanks. :)

scabz

#4 Post by scabz »

if doesnt play with mint then it is a hardware issue, one of the reasons people use mint is for its out of the box multimedia playback.

Fossil

#5 Post by Fossil »

@slc. The Word Processor problem.
I cannot get the word processor to save a file. I can open a file but it won't save back. The Excell like program is the same way. I'd prefer to beable to save to a different hard drive.
Are you attempting to save an amended open file back to a different hard drive? Did you mount that drive first?
Or, are you saying that you cannot save a file back as a Word document?