BarryK
Puppy Master

John, please deal with this loose cannon

#1 Post by BarryK »

I can't believe this. Despite being informed repeatedly that the patched kernel
source is online, and there is a web page that explains step-by-step how to
compile the kernel, Hackus posted this to my blog yesterday:

---------------------------------
Does anyon ehere have a complete build tree for the kernel binary distributed on the web site?

Has anyone been successful in ordering CD's from this guy and actually getting any usable kernel source code to build the exact kernel distributed with the distro?

-Hackus
-----------------------------------------------

I don't need this. The guy has a mental problem.
John, will you take the necessary steps please.

I'm posting this here rather than a p.m. to John, in case Hackus wants
to state something positive in his defense or someone else wants to
contribute a suggestion how to handle this.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Same thing in the Puppy 109CE-forum.
I did not delete it, though at first moment I tended to do it.

But I think it is so ridiculous, that it can stay uncommented as a parodie of itself :lol:
Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

he has also posted the same message into the main Puppy forum.
It's obviously being done very deliberately, for what motive I don't know.

Anyway, I'll delete his post from my blog.

raffy

Latest posts about embedded project

#4 Post by raffy »

Just saw this thread after I made a post here.

I guess he is now sufficiently welcomed and/or warned, so more offensive or misleading posts from him can now be deleted.

John will have some clues about which part of the world (Internet?) hackus is coming from.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

vern72023

Hackus and humour

#5 Post by vern72023 »

interesting one of his postings from a different forum (kerneltrap.org) - the details show a g carter out of green bay wisconsin

Posted by hackus on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 20:09
Linux 2.6 kernel

Hello.

:-)

Question: I downloaded the config for a kernel, small puppy linux. I built a build environment for it, and I can get everything too load for the most part.

But, I do not understand, why if I change the ramdisk size in the config, the kernel will not boot.

So, what possible impacts do change the kernel ramdisk default size have on the boot process?

I did not make it too large, I just made it a wee bit bigger (16MB vs 12 MB) but the system fails to mount the file system due to a loopback error.

Which I think is because the squashfs cannot be successfully decompressed due to the fact I added more modules and now it won't fit in the default ram disk of 12MB.

Its a guess of course. :-)

-Thanks,

-Hackus

that was a couple of weeks ago
the next is from 2004 and amused me
Quote >>>>
Now my diatribe. I love my diatribes, and I hope you do to, so here it comes...
These problems and others result from software engineers that think just because they have degrees, they can write software for any application area. My advice to anyone, who wants to write Linux server/Kernel code or even end user application database software of any kind in Java, C etc: Do everyone a favor and spend 3-4 years being a network/server application administrator on a non trivial network (i.e. > 500 nodes)....
<<<<Unquote

and lastly one of his I love on yet another forum
Jail
Keep in mind, that playing DVD's on Linux is for all practical purposes against PATENT and COPYRIGHT laws, in the United States.

Unless you buy a license to decrypt or access the video you cannot make the player legal.

I thought I would just point that out, and remind everyone how bad the situation here is in the USA.

If you develop software for the OSS/GNU community, don't do it on US soil and do not publish it on US servers/subnets.

You could get sued. If you want to, make sure you hire an attorney first to do a patent search on anything you write.

Ignore my advice at your own peril.

-hack
george

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#6 Post by JohnMurga »

I have issued a warning for disruptive behaviour ...

I do have the guy's name and details, but it would be against my rules to divulge this.

Further efforts to undermine the work being done by those who frequent my forum will be seen as being in direct contempt of this warning and will result in a second and final warning.

Three strikes and you are out as they say.

I can't take into account people's mental condition :-)

Cheers
JohnM

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

8)

I am the official crazy here.
Most people who are emotionally, mentally or socially outsiders (I think I am all 3) may still be communicating, something. It may just be in a manner that is innapropriate and aggravating for others.

A lot of people find me amusing. Some are a little challanged by my behaviour . . .

There are many outlets for those trolling for a reaction. If you interact (even by rejection) then communication is occurring . . .

There is one person able to answer all this persons questions

Atang

who can be found here (seems down at the moment)
http://puppy.mypunbb.com/

or on the austrumi forum

Atang is a Puppy expert. In fact he is an expert on everything. The individual should be directed to ask questions of Atang.

:roll:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

He's still around? :shock: I though Bladehunter chased him into a hole years ago.

Wow. I forgot about the days of needing Perl for Ndiswrapper and help to configure it all. That was a long time ago now, but until I moved to my college last month, I was still using the scripts I got from Bladehunter for my wireless (albeit slightly modified). Never bothered switching to WAG.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#9 Post by JohnMurga »

Atang1 ... Now he could talk ...

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=42

I remember someone did some research on him ... And came up with a hilarious post on Barry's original forum (many moons ago).

Atang1 reacted badly to his first warning, accused me of curtailing his free speech and left ...

Never mind

Cheers
JohnM

hackus

Kernel Source Tree

#10 Post by hackus »

I have been unsuccessful in building a viable kernel from the source entries on your page AND following the directions, which I posted several links to.

I said I was irritated, and I would like to point out I do not find it "disruptive" behavior to ask for GPL source code, or to communicate its restrictions.

I didn't attack anyone personally, so I don't find this warning of any practical value except that you didn't like what I had to say about the matter about kernel binaries and source trees.

I posted several links corresponding to the page in question and didn't get a reply, nor one personal Email from the author of use, except that I was going to be immediately "censored" for bringing up several issues, just now.

In any case:

1) I MAINTAIN, that the source code is not available on the WEB PAGE and that the patch sequences Do NOT in fact produce the kernel binary distributed with 2.02

I made this post in reference to the fact that any attempt to config the kernel with the attached .configs results in undefined symbols to go which doesn't exist.

Even after following the patch instructions.

The only personal response I got to this and the posting was that I was being disruptive and now going to be censored.

2) Irritated or pissed off as I was, it was a point blank reference to the fact that the GPL is not being satisfied here, and the the references on the web page posted were PATENTLY FALSE, and gave the illusion that the kernel tree was for the binary distributed with 2.02.

3) I offerred some possible replies in how to deal with the fact the author is or would appear to be in the wilderness, far away from any viable communcations facilities that would allow him to maintain a full source tree online, perhaps to correct the problem of either lack of money or resources to do so.

I am sorry, if you gentleman find those problems and responses I posted as "disruptive".

No matter, I ordered the full source code CD's in an attempt at LEAST to give the author a chance to ship the source code to me via snai lmail.

So I patiently wait for the kernel sources.

But as I see it, if I don't get the sources for the distro, your going to be AMAZED on how pissed of I can be with people who think the GPL is a MERE irritant and that is only followed by "disruptive" people.

-Hackus

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Kernel Source Tree

#11 Post by Lobster »

hackus wrote:
But as I see it, if I don't get the sources for the distro, your going to be AMAZED on how pissed of I can be with people who think the GPL is a MERE irritant and that is only followed by "disruptive" people.

-Hackus

We have always welcomed ways to be more open to providing for reasonable and patient requests.

I am glad you have ordered a CD.

You will be amazed how courteous and accomodating we can be.

You will be aware the GPL protects us from bullying behaviour.

You might place any information you feel relevant here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/License

Have you come here to help us? Will you be coding for Puppy? Working on the wiki? Are you a lawyer? Why exactly is having the source code so urgent? Will you die without it? :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

help was there

#12 Post by raffy »

You already got the help you needed in one of the threads that you started - here. That post seems to be the help that you needed, so your own "irritated" behavior of repeated postings somehow interfered with your getting help.

People are not perfect - even Barry - and make errors at times. I guess you've encountered a similar situation when you're confident of being correct though you're wrong. Just a week ago, I was chiding a grocery clerk for putting $10 instead of $110 on her list, when it fact it was there but my eyes could only see $10! We are all mortals capable of committing errors so we should be helpful rather than bossy or "irritated".
Last edited by raffy on Fri 08 Sep 2006, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

I think he wants to run forklifts with it, or have it running as a computer in a forklift. I don't think he's actually operating the machinery with it, but who knows. He needs to compile the drivers for the tablet he uses.

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... highlight=
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

If you are running Puppy 2.02 and want to compile the kernel for it,
the config file is to be found in /lib/modules/
-- this is the same for every release of Puppy.

The patched kernel 2.6.16.7 source (i.e. no need to patch it any more) and
devx_202.sfs are at:
http://www.puppyos.com/test/

You can compile from a running puppy by using the devx_202.sfs file
-- look elsewhere for details how to set that up.

To compile the kernel, follow instructions at:
http://www.puppyos.com/development/compilekernel.htm

There is no problem with the stack size.
Compiling the kernel, using the correct config file, will result in the exact
same kernel as used in Puppy ...how could it be otherwise?

Anyway, Hackus, I'm not going to respond to any more questions
from you. That's it, final.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#15 Post by JohnMurga »

hackus wrote:But as I see it, if I don't get the sources for the distro, your going to be AMAZED on how pissed of I can be with people who think the GPL is a MERE irritant and that is only followed by "disruptive" people.
Two points here ...

First of all I am a paid up member of the FSF and have contributed back time, expertise and reams of code in several languages to several open source projects ... However, all I was able to find on you when I did research is that you like to spread FUD while trying to portray yourself like a supporter of free software (I am not going to tell you how people like you make me feel).

Secondly I did research into what responses you had received before issuing the initial warning, and I am acutely aware of the effort involved in what you are doing ... So your rendition of events in this thread is untrue, and demonstrates you have ignored my friendly advice.

So please consider this your second and final warning.

I'll choose to ignore your threat as it seems to be irrelevant and unbecoming of a grown up.

Cheers
JohnM

Ted Dog

Asperger's Award winer of the month goes to....

#16 Post by Ted Dog »

The award goes to hackus known to some as 'hack-us-off' for this uncanny unsocial behavor. He may pickup his award in person at Tuttle City Hall, Oklahoma. Ask for Jerry. :P :twisted:

sunburnt

#17 Post by sunburnt »

They say there's one in every crowd, & there's two in my family (lucky me).

I have an ire that can be irked, & it's almost always directed at politics, leaders, & voters.

For those who can't behave... the rock you came out from under is your only home (go back).

marksouth2000

#18 Post by marksouth2000 »

Pizzasgood wrote:I think he wants to run forklifts with it, or have it running as a computer in a forklift.
The forklift story only came out after it got some heat for its rude manner in the other thread. Up until then the inability to build a kernel was "ruining my hobby" (exact quote). So I'm sticking with my assessment: TROLL.

sunburnt

#19 Post by sunburnt »

I've never had success building a kernel myself, always "can't make" or "can't find library".
But you don't see me blaming & harassing someone else!

hackus; I've got you pegged for a Bush voter, please let us all know as we're REALLY curious.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

hackus wrote:No matter, I ordered the full source code CD's in an attempt at LEAST to give the author a chance to ship the source code to me via snai lmail.

So I patiently wait for the kernel sources.

-Hackus
Hackus,
Today, September 10th, I have refunded your payment of US$19 to me via
PayPal.

Note for everyone:
All sources will be online in about a week, coinciding with release of Puppy
version 2.10. The patched kernel source already is, and has been online for a couple of months, and most of 2.10 source is also already online in the T2
repositories. I will just be filling in the gaps, uploading extra packages not
in the T2 sites, probably to Ted Dog's and MU's sites -- thanks guys!