Strange behaviour of a SFS Module

Using applications, configuring, problems
LazY Puppy

Strange behaviour of a SFS Module

#1 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

After around 8 months of running temporarily modified Tahr Puppy 6.0.2 (T.O.P.L.E.S.S.), I decided to do again a remaster to have all my favourite music applications already installed. It runs pretty well and I'd done already lots of music by this Tahr Studio Puppy.

Now I'd decided to give the FFADO drivers a try to be able to get my Phonic Helix 24 MKII Firewire Mixer Board recognized.

So I downloaded all the necessary FFADO stuff via PPM and created a SFS Module from those downloaded DEB files.

Shocked!

After loading the FFADO SFS manually by sfs_load, I coudn't get qjackctl connect to the server anymore. After unloading the FFADO SFS again qjackctl works as expected and connects to the server.

I never ever met a SFS Module crashing a installed application that way.

Anyone else experienced something similar?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

This is even more strange than what I described in my above posting.

Just out of curiosity I checked the files from my Tahr Studio Puppy and the files from the FFADO SFS to compare what files are existing in both of the SFS Modules.

Found some Jack binaries plus some Jack Libraries.

Just for a quick test I removed all those binaries and libraries from the FFADO SFS that are already in my remastered Tahr Studio Puppy. Rebuild the FFADO SFS, rebooted, loaded the FFADO SFS again and...

...everything works as expected. Qjackctl starts immediately and connects to the server without any problems.

Since sfs_load loads the FFADO SFS to a lower layer compared to the layer of the Tahr Studio Puppy's main SFS, it shouldn't make any difference. Though it does definitely.

Anyone able to explain the unexplainable?

I made a remaster of my Tahr Studio Puppy again with the FFADO SFS included and still everything works fine. So, tomorrow I will check it for the Phonic Helix 24 MKII Mixer Board.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#3 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok.

FFADO recognizes my Phonic Helix 24 Mixing Console. So far, so good.

Though: QTractor in combination with qjackctl doesn't offer any option to use different tracks to record multiple audio tracks. All it offers is recording from stereo master.

Rosegarden in combination with qjackctl did, but still crashes after a few seconds of multi track audio recording. Besides, Rosegarden crashes a lot and a lot on other actions like opening a new song after one song was already opened and stored.

So, still no way to do 16 or 24 track audio recordings simultaneously in Linux. :cry:
RSH