Need suggestion of Linux distro to install on laptop

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
purple379

Need suggestion of Linux distro to install on laptop

#1 Post by purple379 »

Laptop is a fourth gen 64 bit intel processor with 4 GB RAM, with Windows 10 installed.

I have tried Mint Linux, and Ubuntu 17.. Well several Ubuntu. Ubuntu will not shut down, which at some point is likely going to cause file structure problems. Solving the non-shutdown does not look trivial. Later I will try an earlier version of Ubuntu, but that looks like a security hazard.

This seems to be a time when Installing Puppy on the hard drive would be a good start. The installer for Ubuntu is nice for creating boot record, also for creating LVM with encrypted disks, but, that is not immediately usable, (by my limited knowledge) to booting Puppy Linux, (type ??, version number ??)

I had to put Windows back in.

Any Suggestions????
Gordie

Need Info

#2 Post by Gordie »

You need to tell us what you are doing.
Dual Boot?
Make and model of computer?
wifi specs?

Honestly, posts like yours are a dime a dozen, DDG and see.
Everybody wants suggestions but nobody wants to do the homework
bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

I had to put Windows back in.
That suggests to me that Windows 10 is not going to be installed on the computer.
Correct???

This is probably a UEFI bios computer.
Access the bios setup and activate legacy mode and or disable secure boot.
This stuff requires special license codes and Puppy usually does not have what they need.
Secure boot is Windows way of limiting what operating system will boot on computer. (Windows only)

With any of the newer computers, you want to use one of the newest Puppy versions.
Mainly because they are using newest Linux kernels and the hardware support is going to be in those newer kernels.

Suggest:
Tahrpup 6.0.5 or 6.0.6 (32bit or 64bit)
Even the Puppies that are being developed are good to use.
Xenialpup (several versions)
Artfulpup
Slacko 6.9.9.9 (to be Slacko 7.0)
You can get the iso package for any of them from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/

With Puppy the only way you are going to know how it will work is to try it. One version of Puppy cannot possibly support every possible piece of hardware.
In general they do, but there are differences between the Puppy versions.
SO, try one and see how it works.

Suggest trying a Puppy from an install to a CD/DVD or a USB flash drive.
If it works and you like it.
The Puppy Universal installer can install it to the hard drive.
Make sure to install Grub4dos Bootloader so it will boot from the hard drive install.

If installing to the hard drive use a Linux format for the hard drive partition. Suggest ext 3.

Install Puppy as a frugal install.
All the features of Puppy work when Puppy is a frugal install.

Note:
Do not think frugal indicates less than a full working Puppy install. It is the Puppy way to work and install.
Wish a better name could be used, but it is what it is.
Just understand, frugal is the best Puppy install to a hard drive.

This is Puppy. It operates the Puppy way.
Learn you must!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
purple379

Windows 10. Why do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.

#4 Post by purple379 »

While I did not mention it, as it is not the problem for anyone here to solve. With the current RansomWare out there, Anti-Virus and Security programs meant to work with Windows 10 get crazy if the hard drive is changed and not through Windows 10 and their own software.

If I was going to use Windows 10, I would prefer to encrypt the hard drive. While I have not tried it, I think a Frugal Install of Puppy Linux would not be anxious to write to a Windows Encrypted directory on an NTFS drive.

No one mentioned the other issue writing to a Windows 10 drive. That is one must go into the power section of Windows 10 and change the hard drive to "ShutDown" on power off, else it goes into Hibernate, which brings up an error message when one tries to write to the hard drive that the hard drive is unstable and doing anything with it will likely corrupt it. Clever those guys at Microsoft came up with a way (helps to start Windows faster) that also makes using Linux more difficult.

MY Idea being, I wanted to use a linux file system on the hard drive. Then I could run Puppy as Frugal, or other such. Yes I am aware I can start Puppy, and put my storage on a USB key, perhaps a second key. Or use an Optical drive and use a Remastered version of a Puppy file that will write data back to the optical disk. A multi-session CD. Yes. I am aware that one can not create such a Multi Session (or did not when I did this procedure before) disk on a laptop, but one can create Multi Session Puppy CD on a Tower, and then use it on a Laptop. But those techniques are a bit slow.

I had also thought to use multiple boots of Linux on the hard drive. But with the computer not wanting to Shut Down with the latest Ubuntu, 17, or the two earlier versions of Ubuntu (Yes I tried). I suspect multi-boot only exacerbates that shutdown problem. Yes, I should drudge through Ubuntu, figure out to stop the Ubuntu Exit screen so I can see all the texts of shutdown to see what is hanging the Shutdown. Except I did that and nothing suggested worked. Most of the advice was for earlier versions of Ubuntu. Ubuntu programmers seem to becoming more like Microsoft programmers. Hide as much as possible from the user.

I had tried Qubes, but it will not load on the low end Dell Laptop in Question. If I want to use Qubes, I would have to buy another computer, which I do not have the money for. If I had money, I would not have had to shut off my at home internet. Using the Library for research, downloading also makes doing research hard.

I have talked about only part of what I have tried. I have a longer post, and not provided much more info on how you might be helpful.

Right now I am downloading earlier versions of Ubuntu. Hoping to find one that that does not have shutdown problems with the hard drive. Then proceed on from there with trying to do a multi-boot with different versions of Linux that have the later Kernels.

Yes, it is good you mentioned that Frugal is nearly the best way to run Puppy. Still, I do not want a base of NTFS Windows 10 on my hard drive.

As I think of it. This Laptop hardware version may have had a version of Linux that Dell provided in place of Windows 10. I will see if Dell will let me download that.

Thanks for reading my initial post, which is in some ways better than this, in that this one provides a lot of stuff that does not help you to help me. But the first seemed to indicate I had not tried things.

I could, although it might be wrong. Install a version of Puppy to the Hard Drive, and then branch out from there, but that seems, as you indicated, a road of unnecessary difficulties.

Thanks for putting up with me. Hope I am clear here.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home (x64) (build 10586)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 12/28/2015 5:10:03 PM
Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB)
Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot
System Model
Dell Inc. Inspiron 3451 A00
Enclosure Type: Portable
Processor a
2.15 gigahertz Intel Celeron N2840
112 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded
Main Circuit Board b
Board: Dell Inc. 02F67C A00
Serial Number: .33PT932.CN7620651C02NY.
Bus Clock: 83 megahertz
UEFI: Dell Inc. A00 12/05/2014
Drives
489.96 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
149.10 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y4NST24LT, rev AM0P1D, SMART Status: Healthy
Memory Modules c,d
3980 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_A' has 4096 MB (serial number C207ED07)
Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 489.96 GB 149.10 GB free
Controllers
Intel(R) Pentium(R) processor N- and J-series / Intel(R) Celeron(R) processor N- and J-series AHCI - 0F23 [Controller]
Display
Intel(R) HD Graphics [Display adapter]
Generic PnP Monitor (13.9"vis, August 2014)
Bus Adapters
Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)

Intel(R) Display Audio
Realtek Audio
bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

That suggests to me that Windows 10 is not going to be installed on the computer.
Correct???
I asked this for a good reason. Windows 10 does not play well with others.
That is why I do nothing to the internal hard drive on my Windows 10 computer.

I use Puppy installed on a USB flash drive or hard drive.
Never touch the internal hard drive Windows is on.
With a 1TB USB hard drive for Puppy to use, I have all the room I need. Even a 32GB or larger USB flash, is plenty of room for Puppy.

If Windows 10 is not staying on computer.
Repartition and reformat the internal hard drive and go put Puppy on it.

If Windows is staying. I strongly suggest the above way to use Puppy.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
purple379

I was unclear

#6 Post by purple379 »

As I already knew Windows does not play well with others. I switched another hard drive into the laptop. M$ makes trying to use Linux a constant aggravation.

While I say I hate Windows 10, it is still a better OS, and interface than I have seen. Just M$, not only to protect their ability to make money, but to help with security, has become control freaks.
Gordie

#7 Post by Gordie »

Your computer can handle any Linux or BSD distro. DDG for live distros and burn to USB flashdrive to try.

EDIT - https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=live%20linux%20distros
purple379

Gordie, I guess I was again not clear.

#8 Post by purple379 »

I want Linux on the hard drive, as a base OS. So while several versions of Ubuntu boot from a flash drive, they will not logically shutdown when I tell it to shut off. I can explicitly power down, but that is a great way to clobber hard drive structure.

BSD can join the world of available options if those who create BSD Live, will do one thing. For the live BSD Disk or flash drive. Create an automatic way to start to graphic desktop with any available source of video card, or even do what Puppy can do. Run the Graphics from the main processor, and try to find the right video driver with a program to find such, for the card I have. Trying to solve a basic problem of trying to find the correct video driver, while sitting in a library, and then install it with command line that I get from somewhere, which might refer to some other version of BSD, is too vexing. I have other things to do with my life.

I put the post on this forum because I did not think any Puppy version on the hard drive is going to work so well for my needs.
kerl

#9 Post by kerl »

You may want to try Lick installer to have a multiboot menu.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... =423586376
Just run Lick from Windows and drag and drop one Puppy iso.
Try a few puppies this way. You can uninstall them from Lick easily.