How to load ipw2200 firmware dotpup on boot?

Booting, installing, newbie
sml

How to load ipw2200 firmware dotpup on boot?

#1 Post by sml »

I am using the ipw2200 firmware and it installs easily allowing me to configure my wireless network.

How can I load the firmware on every start-up? It is just a dotpup file.

billstclair

#2 Post by billstclair »

You didn't say which version of Puppy you're using. If it's 1.x, then you need to reinstall the firmware on every boot. If its, as is more likely, 2.x, then the firmware will be persistent, stored in your pup_save.3fs file. You can use WAG to make using it for networking automatic on Puppy boot. Right click on the "connect" icon on the desktop, choose "Execute the internet connection wizard", and click "Connect to internet by wireless wizard...". The rest should be pretty much self-explanatory.

Personally, I use a script, named "wireless", for my wireless configuration, since I sometimes plug my laptop into a wired network, and don't want to use the wireless interface.

The following should work if you have an unencrypted wireless network. I've never gotten Puppy to attach to an encrypted one.

Code: Select all

iwconfig eth1 essid any mode Managed
dhcpcd -t 20 -h puppypc -d eth1

sml

#3 Post by sml »

Thanks for the tips. I am using Puppy 2.00 but the ipw2200 firmware pup is not persistent and not stored in the pup save file :( Therefore I need to load the firmware each time I boot.